Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 04:23 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
April Newbies Chat Here

new JUDDD Buds! Ask your questions here and get support and encouragement!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Thanks Carly. Looking forward to getting to know our Newbies.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #3

Gallery: Revolution
Hi,

New to the forum and JUDDD. Found my way here by way of researching alternate day fasting. Over the months and years certain dietary elements have stood out as noteworthy to me, fasting is one of them. I have done some IF in the past so I am optimistic that the DD will not be too terribly difficult, time will tell!
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AndyBFK
Stats: 321/309/220 (JUDDD 2013) 325/313/225 (JUDDD 2014)
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: JUDDD 04/01/13 & again on 03/24/14
Hello everyone!

I have a long post asking some questions, (and getting FANTASTIC advice) but since today is our first official day, I'll use this thread to officially introduce myself!

I'm excited and ready to go. Looking at my calendar, it's probably the worst time to start any new diet plan as we have 2 vacations coming up. We're spending 4 days in Texas wine country for my birthday in 3 weeks. And then, there's the big one. We're going on a cruise through the Baltic's (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Russia, etc.) in May. We'll be gone a total of 16 days. I'm pretty much ok with the fact that I am going to enjoy both of these trips, especially my cruise. It's a trip of a lifetime and I'm not going to let guilt get in my way of enjoying it! Just going to have to accept I may not see much movement on the scale the next few months, but, that's not going to stop me from starting!
AndyBFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #5

Revolution.

Well you are in the right place. We are all such fans of the alternate day fast.

We look forward to getting to know you. Read the 'stickies' at the top of JUDDD and ask away here.

Hi Andy, I am delighted you have decided to jump in here for sure. Vacations are always tough but I have found them easier while doing JUDDD than I did when following Atkins, which I did for over 10 years.

Many people use a kind of 'eating window' when away. But, once you get used to them, our bodies seem to crave the occasional DD.

It is also worth making a note of all your 'weight loss level' calories, from 20% to 60%. Remember, a DD at 55% is not a DD ruined. It will simply give you slower weight loss.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ack-juddd.html

Last edited by Kissa; 04-01-2013 at 01:29 PM..
Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
Hi,

New to the forum and JUDDD. Found my way here by way of researching alternate day fasting. Over the months and years certain dietary elements have stood out as noteworthy to me, fasting is one of them. I have done some IF in the past so I am optimistic that the DD will not be too terribly difficult, time will tell!
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBFK View Post
Hello everyone!

I have a long post asking some questions, (and getting FANTASTIC advice) but since today is our first official day, I'll use this thread to officially introduce myself!

I'm excited and ready to go. Looking at my calendar, it's probably the worst time to start any new diet plan as we have 2 vacations coming up. We're spending 4 days in Texas wine country for my birthday in 3 weeks. And then, there's the big one. We're going on a cruise through the Baltic's (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Russia, etc.) in May. We'll be gone a total of 16 days. I'm pretty much ok with the fact that I am going to enjoy both of these trips, especially my cruise. It's a trip of a lifetime and I'm not going to let guilt get in my way of enjoying it! Just going to have to accept I may not see much movement on the scale the next few months, but, that's not going to stop me from starting!
It sounds like you have a great attitude about it and the cruise sounds fabulous!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Revolution. I hope you find DDs easy and grow to love this way of eating.

Andy, good for you, jumping in and getting going.
Your holidays sound wonderful!The beauty of JUDDD is that you'll be able to enjoy them without having to obsess about food all the time.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AndyBFK
Stats: 321/309/220 (JUDDD 2013) 325/313/225 (JUDDD 2014)
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: JUDDD 04/01/13 & again on 03/24/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post

It is also worth making a note of all your 'weight loss level' calories, from 20% to 60%. Remember, a DD at 55% is not a DD ruined. It will simply give you slower weight loss.
This is fantastic advice, and something that I did not realize and did not really think about. Thanks!
AndyBFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #9

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Revolution! So glad you found us. I think you're going to love this WOE, and this community.

Andy, welcome aboard officially. Your vacations sound wonderful, and I know you'll navigate them. Even just knowing JUDDD is so easy to come back to, even if you splurge. Which, after all, is what vacations are all about!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vickismc
Stats: 5'2" 198/147/140
WOE: HCG 5/2012-9/2012 Lost 40lbs JUDDD 3/2013
Start Date: March 12, 2013
Revlolution and Andy. I am new myself only having been JUDDDing for 3 weeks now. I hope you enjoy this new adventure. I have found that the DD's are not too difficult and I am mostly fasting and taking in around 150cals. I also look forward to my UD's knowing when I am in the middle of a DD, like right now, that I have a UD to look forward to.

Andy - Your cruise vacation sounds amazing. We went to France last Oct and I had just finished losing 40lbs on another very restrictive diet plan and I decided that this trip was a trip of a lifetime and was not holding back. I ate everything...real butter, bread by the truck loads, gallons of wine and creme brulee every night. I was afraid I would gain weight but I actually lost a few pounds because we walked EVERYWHERE. You might also be pleasntly surprised after your cruise.

Enjoy and looking forward to getting to know you.
vickismc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
Hi,

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #12

Gallery: Revolution
Thanks for the warm welcome!

First DD under my belt, some energy loss late afternoon but otherwise smooth sailing. Yesterday was not ideal either as I had lunch plans with a friend that I would not move. Thursday will be easier as I can plan/pack my foods for the day with greater precision.

Down 3 lbs today, water weight of course, but still nice to see the scale acknowledge that I did something different yesterday.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #13

Water weight or not, how nice is that. You did really well to eat with friends too!

Enjoy your UD.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DaSHMith
Stats: 164.4/159.5/125
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 4/2/13
Do you have to recalculate your UD/DD levels with weight loss?

Hi JUDDDers!

I am a newbie and, admittedly, have not yet finished Dr. Johnson's book. I went to Dr. Johnson's site, I entered my height, age, sex and current weight and the tool there calculates your "normal" (UD) and DD calories.
However, I am wondering if you need to keep recalculating your UD and DD calorie levels as your weight declines?

With other WOEs (like Weight Watchers) as your weight declines, you need to eat less (fewer points) to keep losing because your body needs less calories to survive as you get smaller. Does JUDDD take this into account as well?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

DaSHMith
DaSHMith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/150/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
It's good to see some new names here and I think you'll enjoy this woe 'cause it really works..My first caveat for newbies is always take your measurements now...before you lose track of 'em. So many of us found the tape measure is a much friend than the metal monster in the bathroom...the scale she bounces.

DaSHMith, I think you'll find that just a few pounds don't make a difference in your numbers. You have to lose a lot before you should re-calibrate the goals.

I'm redoubling my effort and will try to make some changes myself this month...one new thing is that I found some new jeans that fit, so can lose the baggy-butt ones...hooray!!

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverrain
Stats: 209.9/206.2/145 5'4" 34 years old
I have a question regarding mood. I had my second DD yesterday, and all went okay with the eating and sticking to calories. My energy was fine. However, all day I felt very emotional; very down, feeling as though I were going to break into tears at any moment. I did not, but I also felt anxious and fidgety. I have my TOM right now (sorry for TMI), but it usually does not affect me in this way. Perhaps the two combined is making for strange (for me) moods? Does/did anyone else experience this at first? If anything, I thought I'd just be super irritable, but so far, that hasn't happened. A good thing! Thanks for any insight.
Silverrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
new friends! I hope you'll find JUDDD to be as fantastic as we all do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSHMith View Post
However, I am wondering if you need to keep recalculating your UD and DD calorie levels as your weight declines?
With other WOEs (like Weight Watchers) as your weight declines, you need to eat less (fewer points) to keep losing because your body needs less calories to survive as you get smaller. Does JUDDD take this into account as well?
DaSHMith
Yes, you will need to recalculate your calories eventually. From reading and experience, I'll tell you that most long-term JUDDD Budds seem to re-calculate every 25-30 pounds. Also, be careful not to change your calories too early as you can cause a stall. LCG just posted a thread about her weight loss stall and what got it going again - HIGHER UD calories! The experienced friends will tell you to leave your calories alone until you stall. And a stall = at least 2 weeks of no weight loss. It isn't fast...but JUDDD is the most amazing WOE out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverrain View Post
However, all day I felt very emotional; very down, feeling as though I were going to break into tears at any moment. I did not, but I also felt anxious and fidgety. I have my TOM right now (sorry for TMI), but it usually does not affect me in this way.
I'm sorry you're feeling poorly! I can't say I've experienced this particular phenomenon on my DDs but one thing we've learned from reading on these boards about JUDDD - there's the potential for anything! Its likely a combo of TOM and first DD. Most people find that, as their journey progresses, its easier to handle the DDs in all facets - physically, emotionally, energy, mood, attitude, hunger-wise.

Hang in there, I'm sure it will pass quickly!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #18

I've definitely had days like this, Silverrain, but I'm not sure I ever attributed it to JUDDD. Could have been though. They are few and far between. I'm generally a pretty happy, optimistic person, but I am quite susceptible to the moods of those around me, so sometimes that brings me down. Then there are those days you talk about, when it just seems to come from within. Not sure, but there may be some hormonal changes with JUDDD. I hope we learn more and more about that as the studies continue.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Hi JUDDDers!

I am a newbie and, admittedly, have not yet finished Dr. Johnson's book. I went to Dr. Johnson's site, I entered my height, age, sex and current weight and the tool there calculates your "normal" (UD) and DD calories.

DaSHMith
Maybe every 15 pounds or so, but don't lower them unless you stall for 2 weeks or so. More people stall from lowering them too soon.

Quote:
I have a question regarding mood. I had my second DD yesterday, and all went okay with the eating and sticking to calories. My energy was fine. However, all day I felt very emotional; very down, feeling as though I were going to break into tears at any moment. I did not, but I also felt anxious and fidgety. I have my TOM right now (sorry for TMI), but it usually does not affect me in this way. Perhaps the two combined is making for strange (for me) moods? Does/did anyone else experience this at first? If anything, I thought I'd just be super irritable, but so far, that hasn't happened. A good thing! Thanks for any insight.
I can get that way with TOM or PMS, but I have not found JUDDD to make a difference one way or the other.

to all the new buds!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone! I feel just fine today, so I'll just attribute it to a wandering, temporary hormonal issue. Wasn't pleasant, but it's behind me now. Onward and upward!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vickismc
Stats: 5'2" 198/147/140
WOE: HCG 5/2012-9/2012 Lost 40lbs JUDDD 3/2013
Start Date: March 12, 2013
I am a relatively newbie myself and still learning the ropes of what works for me. I think you'll really enjoy this WOE - I know I am. Although at first I had to change my mindset about losses I am being very patient with myself and not stressing too much about the losses or slight gains even though I really, really, really want to lose 17 more lbs. by July. I have 15 weeks so if I can maintain a 1lb a week loss I'll be close.

We do have a vacation to Colorado for a week in June which might set me back a bit but I'm going to try my hardest not to gain!

I've not experienced any mood swings, Silverrain while on JUDDD but I have had my share in the past and they just come out of the blue and WHAM...I know how you feel.

I still have very low energy on my DD's but rebound on my UD's. Hoping it will equal out soon.

Hey Yennie - what's the countdown now to your visit with the 'mouse'?
vickismc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #22
Established

Quote:
Hi JUDDDers!

DaSHMith
I refigured my numbers every five pounds lost or so

Quote:
I notice the being emotional on dds that coincide with tom, but otherwise my mood is normal on dds for the rest of the month

Last edited by mom23kids; 04-04-2013 at 12:03 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Good to know, guys! Thank you so much!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mina705
Stats: 246/237/160
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: 3/04/13
Hello everyone, I am a JUDD newbie, have been following program about 4 weeks now and am down about 10 pounds

Good luck to everyone! Hope we can help each other in this journey.
mina705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #25
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by mina705 View Post
Hello everyone, I am a JUDD newbie, have been following program about 4 weeks now and am down about 10 pounds

Good luck to everyone! Hope we can help each other in this journey.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #26

Welcome Mina! Sounds like you're off a great start. I'm glad you posted so we can get to know you.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SchoolPsych1979
Stats: 255/244/145
WOE: ALMOST NO CARBS, with artificial sweeteners
Start Date: 03/25/2013
Are diet drinks allowed on DDs?
Also, I would like to work out (cardio kickboxing and some weight training). Anyone have issues with working out, and which days are best, DD or UD? I am lurking and thinking of switching over from VLC. Appreciate your feedback!
SchoolPsych1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #28
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 View Post
Are diet drinks allowed on DDs?
Also, I would like to work out (cardio kickboxing and some weight training). Anyone have issues with working out, and which days are best, DD or UD? I am lurking and thinking of switching over from VLC. Appreciate your feedback!
Yes, diet drinks are ok, just make sure to get in your water too I drink diet coke and then also diet hot cocoa on my dds-the cocoa has 20 calories per cup and then I add davinci 0 calorie raspberry syrup to it. Sometimes I also added 15 calories worth of whipped cream too
Old 04-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SchoolPsych1979
Stats: 255/244/145
WOE: ALMOST NO CARBS, with artificial sweeteners
Start Date: 03/25/2013
omg, I have so many questions but I'll try to limit and do some searches on here too. But do people find the rate of loss faster, slower or equal to LC. I know there are variances, but in general?
SchoolPsych1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #30
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 View Post
omg, I have so many questions but I'll try to limit and do some searches on here too. But do people find the rate of loss faster, slower or equal to LC. I know there are variances, but in general?
It just varies based on the person. The average seems to be 5-9lbs a month, but also remember with JUDDD you only 'diet' every other day