Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 View Post
My first Dd today. I'm actually scared! Can someone help reassure me I'll be ok?
You will be fine. My first DD, I was scared as can be and was going to allow myself 500 calories, and I ended up somewhere around 400 IIRC. You can do it. Just know that if you need more than 500, it will NOT be a failed down day. Do the best you can, and they will get easier and easier.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #62

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
My first Dd today. I'm actually scared! Can someone help reassure me I'll be ok?
You can totally do this!

It seems hard - almost impossible - when you first contemplate doing this WOE. I remember being very nervous about it, and telling myself I'd try it for a week or two and see how I did. Eight months and 50+ pounds later, I wouldn't trade it.

The first DDs are hard. Even now, some DDs are a bit hard, but usually not. UDs are a joy. Try thinking ahead to the payoff when it gets hard. There really, truly is a wonderful payoff down the road.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SchoolPsych1979
Stats: 255/244/145
WOE: ALMOST NO CARBS, with artificial sweeteners
Start Date: 03/25/2013
I had every intention on starting my first DD and then chickened out. It is very hard for me to admit this! But I will be back to try my first DD tomorrow. I had all kinds of irrational thoughts in my head like "THis is dumb, you can't do this long term" and then I realized it was my alpha self trying to sabotoge me. I will go shopping tomorrow for my DD food so that I'm prepared. Thanks for listening!
SchoolPsych1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #64
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
I had every intention on starting my first DD and then chickened out. It is very hard for me to admit this! But I will be back to try my first DD tomorrow. I had all kinds of irrational thoughts in my head like "THis is dumb, you can't do this long term" and then I realized it was my alpha self trying to sabotoge me. I will go shopping tomorrow for my DD food so that I'm prepared. Thanks for listening!
If 500 calories overwhelms you, start out at 600 or 700 and then work your way down as you get comfortable with dds.

Last edited by mom23kids; 04-09-2013 at 12:51 PM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grannysmith
Stats: 226/ 203/ 145 53, 5'7
WOE: Half-fast diet, LC, GF
Start Date: Every day! 3.14 (repeats endlessly)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBFK View Post
Hello everyone!

I have a long post asking some questions, (and getting FANTASTIC advice) but since today is our first official day, I'll use this thread to officially introduce myself!

I'm excited and ready to go. Looking at my calendar, it's probably the worst time to start any new diet plan as we have 2 vacations coming up. We're spending 4 days in Texas wine country for my birthday in 3 weeks. And then, there's the big one. We're going on a cruise through the Baltic's (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Russia, etc.) in May. We'll be gone a total of 16 days. I'm pretty much ok with the fact that I am going to enjoy both of these trips, especially my cruise. It's a trip of a lifetime and I'm not going to let guilt get in my way of enjoying it! Just going to have to accept I may not see much movement on the scale the next few months, but, that's not going to stop me from starting!
Wow! I am greeeeen! Sounds like a great trip.
Lynn
grannysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

I'm just starting my first DD tonight, but i really don't have a problem with fasting...and the idea that i can have whatever on the UD makes me excited.

I've done lo-carb off and on for years (and years) and i'm sure it has kept my diabetes under control, but i just can't keep the weight off like i used to. I can do lo-carb without even thinking about it, but i just get so bored...i don't really have much of a sweet tooth, but i love fruit...and homemade bread...and eggs and toast...and homemade pasta...and black beans...and potatoes...sigh.

I just did about 6 weeks of serious low-carb, no more than 60gms/day, after i had to add a THIRD B/P med, and I'm still running 120/80...at my last Dr office B/P check, i'd lost 20 lbs, my Dr actually called me at home to congratulate me...and tell me she wants me on a statin for my cholesterol...ugh! Then i hit the plateau...and stopped losing...and bought a bag of potatoes...sooo....gotta try something else to get the weight off and smack my metabolism upside the head.

I watched Eat, Fast-Live on PBS the other night, and thought, i could do this...if you haven't seen it, i'm sure it's available on the PBS web site. I bought 'Alternate-Day diet" for my Kindle. I'd read through this forum before, but i'm gonna make notes ;~)

I immediately renamed it "The Half-Fast diet" cause that's how I roll...

I'm energized and hopeful...i can DO this!!!

Nice to meet you April newbies...Juddd buds...too funny!

Lynn
Old 04-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #67

Lynn! I love your screenname and avi - very cute! Hope you love it here!
Old 04-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #68

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
School psych, tomorrow is another day. As suggested start at a higher level and drop back slowly, lost of people do that.

Lynn, enjoy your 'half fast diet', you are going to love it.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Lynn! I love your screenname and avi - very cute! Hope you love it here!
THanks! That's what my grandgirl calls me...it's her favorite apple, and her first joke
Old 04-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #70

Got to love a granny smith.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Got to love a granny smith.
Cindy, That's my favorite color, too...I was hoping Kissa was your real name...I think i need a t-shirt, "I'm on a half fast diet"...
Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SchoolPsych1979
Stats: 255/244/145
WOE: ALMOST NO CARBS, with artificial sweeteners
Start Date: 03/25/2013
Thank you everyone! I bought lean cuisines and healthy choice meals for my DD. Not going to let anything stop me tomorrow. My DD number is 449! Yikes. I don't normally count calories so when I was looking at the calorie count on those frozen meals, I was like, that's it? Lol!!!! But my UD number I believe is 2247 or something. But I counted what I ate yesterday I ate about that without trying.
I got a compliment today "your face is very pretty". And the other day I walked into a classroom to do an observation and the teacher said "the kids think you're very pretty". My body doesn't match so I'm finally going to do something about it! Thanks for your support everyone!
SchoolPsych1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sloppail
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD Restart May 20 2014
Hi everyone!! I had an AWESOME UD ...I had a hamburger and onion rings and half an apple turnover...and I am within my UD parameters!! OMG this is a great WOE ...woot woot I am such a happy girl ...

Hope everyone had a great day today...welcome granny and schoolpsych!! we can all do this

Kim
sloppail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppail View Post
Hi everyone!! I had an AWESOME UD ...I had a hamburger and onion rings and half an apple turnover...and I am within my UD parameters!! OMG this is a great WOE ...woot woot I am such a happy girl ...

Hope everyone had a great day today...welcome granny and schoolpsych!! we can all do this

Kim

Sounds good! They need a droolier-smilie...thanks for the welcome!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #75
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CaraNoelle
WOE: CAD, FAST FIVE
Start Date: 3/20/2013
this looks like something I could possibly do.. I am doing the CAd right now but the weight loss has been pretty slow.. what I am wondering is on your dd can you eat what you want as long as you stay under the low cal amount ? I despise protein shakes....can someone give me the website to find out what my calorie ud and dd would be ? thanks
CaraNoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraNoelle View Post
this looks like something I could possibly do.. I am doing the CAd right now but the weight loss has been pretty slow.. what I am wondering is on your dd can you eat what you want as long as you stay under the low cal amount ? I despise protein shakes....can someone give me the website to find out what my calorie ud and dd would be ? thanks

Hi Cara,
First, you should know that JUDDD is also slow. However, since you're technically only dieting every other day (EOD) and you can eat whatever you want as long as you're within your calorie limits, most of us don't mind the slower losses!! And, yes, it is true that you can eat whatever you want! Eat your limit in chocolate cake!! JUDDD doesn't care what you eat as long as you stick to your numbers. Having said that some of our members find that they need to stick to low-ish carb, or avoid binge trigger foods but that's the great thing about JUDDD, its customizable to some extend.
Google JUDDD diet calculator to find the website for your UD and DD cals. Make sure you're entering your gender correctly, and change the units to inches and pounds if you so desire as many people get incorrect numbers by overlooking this part. The default is metric and sometimes we forget to change it over.
Take a gander through the stickies and there will be lots of information for you to absorb and incorporate into JUDDD if you think it will work for you.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Yennie found the calculator...gave the percentages for 20 % up to 35 % ? how do you know which one to do ? obviously the 20% you would loose quicker ??? what exactly is the induction stage ?? are there only certain foods you can do during the first 2 weeks ?? thanks so much for your help !!!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Thanks Yennie found the calculator...gave the percentages for 20 % up to 35 % ? how do you know which one to do ? obviously the 20% you would loose quicker ??? what exactly is the induction stage ?? are there only certain foods you can do during the first 2 weeks ?? thanks so much for your help !!!
You're welcome!!
So, the experienced friends will tell you to set the calculator at 20%, little to no exercise. Sorry, I forgot to tell you that part. Even if you do exercise, we recommend setting the calculator to "little to no exercise" and we also recommend that you do not "eat back" your exercise calculator. There is a thread on this board called something like "Whether or not to account for exercise on the JUDDD calculator" - use the search feature to read it if you're into exercise & want to know the "why" of why we recommend to NOT account for exercise.
Technically, weight loss mode goes as high as (I think) 50% on the calculator BUT the lower you set the number, the faster your losses. Since JUDDD isn't super fast anyway, its best to shoot for 20%.
Induction is meant to activate your SIRT gene (there is more info on SIRT & why its great in some of the stickies). It's also the phase you can use to get yourself into the swing of things. For example, if the calculator determines that your DD should be less than 500 calories, you CAN go up to 500 calories on your DD during induction. This helps you adjust to the EOD restrictions/fasting. The faster you can lower your DDs to at or below the calculator recommendation, the faster you will lose.
There is no need to eat specific foods during induction. Dr J does recommend using prepackaged food items especially on your DDs so you can be sure your calorie counts are accurate. But you can eat whatever you want as long as you're sure you are weighing, measuring and calculating accurately. Many JBs love(d) the shakes, some of us never used them.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #79
Junior LCF Member

ok so the only real difference with the induction 2 week is it allows you up to 500 calories even if you are suppose to be lower than that..I was in the low 300s I think...to help you adjust but the lower the better is there any great calorie charts out there for regular everyday foods like fruits and meats and veggies ??
Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #80

CaraNoelle (love that name!)

Jen (Yennie) has given you some great advice. Read, read and read lots of stickies and threads to learn all about JUDDD. There are a ton of free online calorie counters and apps out there, but we're not allowed to name most of them in this board. Just google "free online calorie counter" and you'll see a ton of them.

Yes, induction allows 500 calories to get you used to it, but if you're okay going to your lower calculated number right off the bat, then go for it!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #81
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vickismc
Stats: 5'2" 198/147/140
WOE: HCG 5/2012-9/2012 Lost 40lbs JUDDD 3/2013
Start Date: March 12, 2013
Granny, Schoolpsych, Cara. I am a relative newbie myself having just finished my 4th week. I am on a mission to lose 15 - 20 lbs by mid July and even though I could probably go with a faster, more restrictive weight loss plan to ensure I get it off, I am LOVING JUDDD and the flexibility it provides. I will be happy if I average 1lb a week. I say average because I did have a gain in my second week but when I look at my over all stats I have lost at least my 1lb a week goal. My only advice is to look at the big picture and not focus on the daily ups and downs. And the best advise I was given was to have patience and allow JUDDD to work. All of the JUDDER's are great and very helpful.

Nice to see you again, Kim!

Welcome back Trace.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #83
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Thank you everyone! I bought lean cuisines and healthy choice meals for my DD. Not going to let anything stop me tomorrow. My DD number is 449! Yikes. I don't normally count calories so when I was looking at the calorie count on those frozen meals, I was like, that's it? Lol!!!! But my UD number I believe is 2247 or something. But I counted what I ate yesterday I ate about that without trying.
I got a compliment today "your face is very pretty". And the other day I walked into a classroom to do an observation and the teacher said "the kids think you're very pretty". My body doesn't match so I'm finally going to do something about it! Thanks for your support everyone!
Just a thought but processed foods may not be the best option for weight loss. Some, including me, do not lose eating those types of meals even though the calorie count is on the box. Now I did my induction drinking shakes but very few people do that. I did best when I ate whole foods like eggs for breakfast and broth and HB eggs and eggs and soup with gluc and eggs. Guess protein helped keep me full.
Guessing you are an LSSP??
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Just a thought but processed foods may not be the best option for weight loss. Some, including me, do not lose eating those types of meals even though the calorie count is on the box. Now I did my induction drinking shakes but very few people do that. I did best when I ate whole foods like eggs for breakfast and broth and HB eggs and eggs and soup with gluc and eggs. Guess protein helped keep me full.
Guessing you are an LSSP??

I can't stand most 'diet meals' but i can understand the appeal. I'm making black bean chili for my UD tomorrow, and I've been trying to figure out a calorie count...have to add up the whole pot, then divide it up, etc. I'm thinking my count isn't gonna be that accurate, and probably those frozen dinners aren't either.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #85
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannysmith View Post
I can't stand most 'diet meals' but i can understand the appeal. I'm making black bean chili for my UD tomorrow, and I've been trying to figure out a calorie count...have to add up the whole pot, then divide it up, etc. I'm thinking my count isn't gonna be that accurate, and probably those frozen dinners aren't either.
Your count will probably be as good as the packages. At least you know what is in your chili. I guess I have become a whole foods advocate in the past year.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

I give up...what are UUAD and LSSP?

I'm usually pretty good at acronyms, being a nurse and all, but i'm stumped...
Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #87
Big Yapper!!!!

UUAD is up up and away day
I asked SchoolPsych is she was an LSSP which means Licensed Specialist in School Psychology - has nothing to do with JUDDD. Just me being nosey. I work in special education and I bet we can beat most groups on acronym usage EXCEPT the ARMY. I am so lost trying to keep up with my son.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Up, up and away?.....in my beautiful, my beautiful ballooooon! Now I'm gonna have that stuck in my head... allll day!

THanks (I think)

I work with a lot of kids in special ed, i've read plenty of IEPs, they can make me feel challenged...but then anything governmental is acronym-infested
Old 04-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #89

Yes, I always think of that song too, Granny! (Do you really want us to call you Granny? I am almost 66 and it feels kind of weird.)
Old 04-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Yes, I always think of that song too, Granny! (Do you really want us to call you Granny? I am almost 66 and it feels kind of weird.)
I answer to 'granny'...but my g'girl also calls me granny Lynn, cause she's blessed enough to have TWO young grandmothers, her gramma Patsy is 66, i think, I'm 52.

i was hoping 'Kissa' was your real name...sounds very Brit

Lynn