Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
PGX fiber experiment

Hi everyone,

I am experimenting in April with PGX fiber. I've taken it a few times in March, and noticed it had an appetite suppressing effect (and I had no side effects). One of the ingredients is our old friend glucommanan blended with some other fibers in what is supposed to be the most effective fiber combination around. I was intrigued at first because it is supposed to help with blood sugar, which is an issue for me. But check out the other benefits:

Detailed clinical studies published in major medical journals and presented at the world’s major diabetes conferences have shown PGX to exert the following benefits:
• Reduces appetite and promotes effective weight loss.
• Stabilizes blood sugar control.
• Increases insulin sensitivity.
• Reduces the glycemic index of any food, beverage or meal by 35–50%.
• Lowers blood cholesterol and triglycerides.
Research at the Canadian Center for Functional Medicine has shown that people who have difficulty controlling their appetite spend much of their day on a virtual “blood sugar roller coaster.” Specifically, by using new techniques in 24-hour blood sugar monitoring, this ground-breaking research has now documented that excessive appetite and food cravings in overweight subjects are directly correlated with rapid fluctuations in blood glucose throughout the day and night. Furthermore, it has now been documented that by utilizing PGX these same subjects can dramatically restore their body’s ability to tightly control blood sugar levels and that this accomplishment is powerfully linked to remarkable improvements in insulin sensitivity and reductions in appetite.

I've seen PGX mentioned on JUDDD before, but not recently, so I thought if anyone is struggling with hunger/cravings on either down days or up days (UUADs!) then this might be helpful. Or, use me as a guinea pig and follow my April daily weight results.

Last edited by calichris; 03-31-2013 at 03:27 PM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Hi everyone,

I am experimenting in April with PGX fiber. I've taken it a few times in March, and noticed it had an appetite suppressing effect (and I had no side effects). One of the ingredients is our old friend glucommanan blended with some other fibers in what is supposed to be the most effective fiber combination
I'llbe interested to follow your results and see whether you feel it returns substantial benefits beyond psyllium and glucomannan or even if it's less messy and more convenient to take
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Where do you buy it, Chris?
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I'm interested too, not just in where you get it, but in how it's taken, etc.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
I'll be interesterd in your results, too, Chris...I have some of this in capsule form, ..I took it a couple of months ago, but, at the time I was having tummy trouble, so I stopped...I don't think it had anything to do with the problem, so I may start it up again..right now I'm using the collagen gelatin hoping for a little pain relief from it...so , I hope it works well for you.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #6

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I have some of this! And I have not yet started taking mine. Maybe I can join you in your April "challenge". I will pull out my bottle and read it once again.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You can get it at health food or vitamin stores, Whole Foods, or on Amazon. Apparently the capsules are large, so I got the PGX daily singles, which are the little granules in individual little packets that you can either sprinkle on food or mix with water.

For those interested in blood sugar: I'm not diabetic yet, but blood sugars are above the "normal" range, and I've experimented with a glucose meter to see what happens when I eat a carby meal like spaghetti. Last night, I had a carb fest of a dinner, with the pgx fiber. It delayed my blood sugar peak by an hour past what it normally would be, and I'm estimating that it kept it about 30-40 points lower than I think it would have been. Back to moderate carbs now.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #8

Christina--my capsules were not large. I would say that they are average sized. Just took one and have to wait 5-10 mins before eating. I have to say, I got the capsules because I saw Dr Hyman on the Dr Oz show. I am always on the lookout for things to lower my blood sugar. I WAS pre-diabetic. Not now, but do have to be careful.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I am experimenting in April with PGX fiber. ...

I've seen PGX mentioned on JUDDD before, but not recently, so I thought if anyone is struggling with hunger/cravings on either down days or up days (UUADs!) then this might be helpful. Or, use me as a guinea pig and follow my April daily weight results.
I know you're posting your weigh-ins but do you have any additional comments about your PGX fibre expt., Christina? (Congratulations on your good blood work, by the way.)
Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I know you're posting your weigh-ins but do you have any additional comments about your PGX fibre expt., Christina? (Congratulations on your good blood work, by the way.)
Thanks! I'm glad you asked, because I was intending to update! Once I started taking the PGX daily, it seemed to help me on both down days and up days, but I had to take a break because I got a little, er, backed up (TMI) so I took a few days off. Kind of the opposite of what you would think would happen, but it's supposed to be really important to drink lots of water with it. I was taking it with about a pint of water, but maybe that was not enough? Anyway, I will probably start again soon and see if more water will avoid that problem. It hasn't seemed to have made a difference on the scale yet, but I've only taken it for half the week so that's not a good trial!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just a quick note to let anyone who was curious know that I am dropping out of my own experiment! I did like the filling effects of the PGX, but after getting backed up, I'm reluctant to use it on a daily basis again. Although I'm sure I could get around that with more water, I'm also less motivated to use it since my blood sugar readings came back normal and because I don't usually need the filling aspect most days. The days I do, though, I will probably take it to use up my box ... with lots of water!

Last edited by calichris; 04-20-2013 at 10:20 AM..
Old 04-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #12

I have not used it with any consistency either. I am so forgetful that it was hard to remember to take it most times. Sorry to hear of your experiences with it Christina. I read about it in the book "Sugar Nation" and he suggested using it regularly for blood sugar control. He even mentioned sprinkling some on your bread if you insisted on continuing to eat bread, that is. It supposedly is that good in lowering your blood sugar response to the carbs.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:42 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Just a quick note to let anyone who was curious know that I am dropping out of my own experiment! I did like the filling effects of the PGX, but after getting backed up, I'm reluctant to use it on a daily basis again.
TMI: I use glucomannan, psyllium etc. with a lot of water and I'm still horribly backed up (this is a known problem, if it doesn't ease things along for you, it can slow the motility of the digestive/elimination tract).

It's a substantial downside of ADF for me. It doesn't affect my DH this way so I also have to assume that it's being magnified by my peri-menopausal status.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
I had the same problem when I started JUDDDing. Shiritake noodles and now Gluc powder solved it for me, even though I normally eat tons of veggies and naturally drink a lot of water throughout the day.

I have a large glass of water (330 ml) around the time I eat my glucpud, then at least a couple more in the following hour and a half. That will total over 1 litre of water for only half a tspn gluc powder.

No backup problems now.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote