Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AndyBFK
Stats: 321/309/220 (JUDDD 2013) 325/313/225 (JUDDD 2014)
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: JUDDD 04/01/13 & again on 03/24/14
Considering JUDDD and need your advice

Hi everyone,
I am a longtime lurker on the LCF message boards, but, first time posting. I am on my umpteenth round of Low Carb dieting. I've done it all- started Atkins way back in early 2000 when it was all the hype, moved into South Beach at one point, and then back again, and so on and so on. In between I've failed WW numerous times, Nutrisystem way too many times for my own good, and other in between. I've been on, and failed, low carb so many times I can't count. Mid January I started back once again, and admittedly this time with more vigor and determination than ever before. However, I find myself once again in the same cycle I've been in for YEARS. I start low-carb, do well for a few weeks, but then fail to loose anymore weight. This time I've tried to modify my plan multiple times- low calorie/low carb, EFGT, NK, you name it, I've clicked that link on these boards, tweaked my eating plan, only to find myself back in the same spot again. And, I'm not going to lie, what is [I]most[I] likely my problem is my lifestyle which includes indulging in a little too much weekend debauchery and not enough exercising. Sometimes I actually count my alcohol carbs, and other times, I fall off the wagon on a Saturday night, only to find myself starting Induction once again on Sunday. But even when I don't waver off plan for weeks at a time, I find myself hitting a stall more often than not. So, here I am, lurking on your board, wondering it this is maybe the answer for me. Here's what I like about low carb in general-
1- I travel every other week for work. I am on the road M-F. While I have honestly lost MORE weight on traditional diets and diets like WW, they are much much more difficult to do when you're eating out B/L/D 5 days a week. I know I can modify a room service order much more easily to be low carb than to fit WW and even then, would never be able to accurately count the points.
2- I LOVE how Low Carb makes me feel. I have HORRIBLE acid reflux. I've been on pills since I was 16. When I am on LC, I don't have to take one pill. Not only that, I'm not eating Tums all day either. It's literally cured my reflux. I also am pre-diabtetic. I'm just right over the line, but, I know I need to eat this way to make sure that number drops. I'm also prone to severe bloating. I thought I was gluten intolerant for a long time, but, I think I may just be carb intolerant because on this diet my feet and legs shrink to what should be their normal size, my rings fit, my clothes fit. It's all water weight, but, it's so significant.
3- I believe in this lifestyle. Maybe I've read too much Taubes et. al. but I do believe in it.

What I don't like-

1. I don't EVER lose weight. I loose a little in a very slow pace initially, but even when 100% on plan, I don't have nearly the weight loss as other people have or these books proclaim.
2. It's tough. Here come the excuses, but, it is what it is. I can eat LC, but I can't make it a WOE forever. I'm Italian, I'm a foodie, I love Sushi and Asian food, we attend many sporting events, yeah, I like to drink beer with my husband I understand all these things contributed to me getting fat in the first place, but, the thought of never ever having them again makes me more miserable than my ever expanding waist line. I just can't make an ongoing LC WOE part of my lifestyle. I've tried. But I'm so sick of being the girl who isn't eating at the dinner club we participate in, or who has to make her own special food for a party, or who isn't going to tailgate with our group when football season rolls around. I know, these are excuses, but these are the excuses that have made this so hard for me to commit to long term.

So, I find myself here. And for reasons I'm sure you can guess by now, this is why I find JUDDD so appealing. Also, I do think I need to watch my calories. The all you can eat fat smorgasbord that is Atkins, EFGT, etc. I don't think works too well with my metabolism. SBD was actually the most success I've ever had with dieting, but, I find that wwwwaaayyyyy to difficult with my travel schedule. So, I like the benefits of JUDDD in that it will force me to calorie count (which I think will be best for me), I can incorporate LC eating into it so I don't loose those benefits, but I can still enjoy a somewhat normal lifestyle without totally sabotaging months of hard work. Is that accurate???

Here's (finally) my questions for you all-

1- I noticed quite a few of you on here are maintaining, or at the last 10 or 15lbs of your WL journey, but more importantly most of you (it seems) are significantly smaller than I am. Will this work for someone my size? I've been on the JUDDD website and I've read a lot of your posts. I know that if I can't truly do 500 calories, that I can go up a little. I get that part. I'm just curious if there are success stories for people in my weight range, or if this is more successful for those on the smaller side, of well, me! My problem has NEVER been the amount of food I eat, in fact, comparatively, I eat very little. My issue has always been what I eat (and drink, unfortunately).

2- I understand this is purely about calories, not what you're eating. But for those of you doing this LC, have you tried to have a few UD's that included carbs? I'm wondering more about how you felt after those days. Having to go back to not just a DD, but the carb withdrawal as well. I would love to just have ONE day on the weekend to eat and drink like a normal person (like Sunday's when my beloved NFL team rolls back around). But, I'm worried each week I'll be back in Induction Withdrawals/Atkins Flu if I do this?

3- Are there any threads or discussions for eating out on your DD's. part of this will be for me to eat out on the road every other week. I've thought about stashing a cooler in my car and keeping the shakes and some veggies in there for snacking. But any other suggestions?

4- My only worry is what not eating does to my blood sugar. I frequently go until 3 or 4 before I remember to eat anything usually because I get so busy with work. If I do this, it's not hunger that gets me, it's a drastic drop in my BS. I get dizzy, light headed, nauseous, etc. If I do this diet, I'm going to need to nibble all day to keep my BS stabilized. Anyone else in my situation. How do you cope with that, what do you eat?

5- Has anyone thought of using Sensa for DDs? I bought this stuff after a Dr. Oz episode on it, so I already have it (would not necessarily recommend buying it) but the idea is that it makes your brain think your full before your body does. I'm wondering if it will help with the initial DD's? What about Alli? I wouldn't use it to give myself more calories on DD's, but wouldn't it help make my DD's more effective? Also, in limiting calories (and thus FAT) consumption, I'd think most of the nasty Alli side effects wouldn't arise. Again, I have loads of this stuff around, so, not going to buy it, just wondering if it would help?

Sorry for such a LONG post, but I value your opinions and experience so much I wanted to make sure to soak up all the information I can before once again starting a new plan. Thanks!
AndyBFK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
It is late here in London, and I have had a glass of wine! But I promise to come back tomorrow.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #3

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBFK View Post
Hi everyone,

1- I noticed quite a few of you on here are maintaining, or at the last 10 or 15lbs of your WL journey, but more importantly most of you (it seems) are significantly smaller than I am. Will this work for someone my size? I've been on the JUDDD website and I've read a lot of your posts. I know that if I can't truly do 500 calories, that I can go up a little. I get that part. I'm just curious if there are success stories for people in my weight range, or if this is more successful for those on the smaller side, of well, me! My problem has NEVER been the amount of food I eat, in fact, comparatively, I eat very little. My issue has always been what I eat (and drink, unfortunately).

I pretty much wrote this post when I first started, at nearly 300 pounds. If you do a search, you'll find it, lol. I didn't think it would work for me because of my size. I also enjoy food and drink (mainly wine, but I've been known to throw back with the best of them), and I've never been a really big eater, though I CAN and HAVE scarfed down big meals--that's just not my "norm." If you take a look at my stats, I've lost over 100 pounds with JUDDD. The first 10 or so was low carb, then about 105 with JUDDD, and another 5 when I went into maintenance with 5:2 (just JUDDD with fewer DDs). I'm now maintaining comfortable below what I thought my goal would be. In short, YES, JUDDD works for people of all sizes.

2- I understand this is purely about calories, not what you're eating. But for those of you doing this LC, have you tried to have a few UD's that included carbs? I'm wondering more about how you felt after those days. Having to go back to not just a DD, but the carb withdrawal as well. I would love to just have ONE day on the weekend to eat and drink like a normal person (like Sunday's when my beloved NFL team rolls back around). But, I'm worried each week I'll be back in Induction Withdrawals/Atkins Flu if I do this?

I threw carb counting out the window when I started JUDDD, so I can't answer this one. I am NOT carb-sensitive though.

3- Are there any threads or discussions for eating out on your DD's. part of this will be for me to eat out on the road every other week. I've thought about stashing a cooler in my car and keeping the shakes and some veggies in there for snacking. But any other suggestions?

There have been DD threads for eating out. I'll try to search for some and link them. I don't cook, so I often have Wendy's small chili (210) calories, or Subway salad (50-110 calories), etc. There are also plenty of low calorie options at casual, sit-down places like Cheesecake Factory, Applebees, Red Robin, etc.
4- My only worry is what not eating does to my blood sugar. I frequently go until 3 or 4 before I remember to eat anything usually because I get so busy with work. If I do this, it's not hunger that gets me, it's a drastic drop in my BS. I get dizzy, light headed, nauseous, etc. If I do this diet, I'm going to need to nibble all day to keep my BS stabilized. Anyone else in my situation. How do you cope with that, what do you eat?

I used to get hypoglycemic before JUDDD. JUDDD actually "fixed" this in me. I never get shakey or nauseated anymore. There are others who do, and have just found a way for it to work for them, either with good protein spread throughout the day, or slightly higher calories. My DDs are often less than 250 calories, with no BS issues at all.

5- Has anyone thought of using Sensa for DDs? I bought this stuff after a Dr. Oz episode on it, so I already have it (would not necessarily recommend buying it) but the idea is that it makes your brain think your full before your body does. I'm wondering if it will help with the initial DD's? What about Alli? I wouldn't use it to give myself more calories on DD's, but wouldn't it help make my DD's more effective? Also, in limiting calories (and thus FAT) consumption, I'd think most of the nasty Alli side effects wouldn't arise. Again, I have loads of this stuff around, so, not going to buy it, just wondering if it would help?

I never tried those . . . JUDDD promotes appetite suppression all on its own, so there's no need to use anything else. You could try it and see what your experience is.

Sorry for such a LONG post, but I value your opinions and experience so much I wanted to make sure to soak up all the information I can before once again starting a new plan. Thanks!

Last edited by KeirasMom; 03-29-2013 at 04:06 PM..
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #4

Check out this link:

Tips on Eating out on JUDDD DD

And this one:

Who has done JUDDD for longer than a year??

Last edited by KeirasMom; 03-29-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Old 03-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
! I don't think I can answer every question, but first off I will say that JUDDD will work for you at your weight- in fact it should work even better. People who don't have much to lose may lose slowly, but if you get your UD/DD numbers from Dr. Johnson's calculator and stick to them you will lose! DDs take some getting use to but they get easier and for me they became effortless. I fast till a small bedtime snack. That makes being out and about really simple, but you can find very low cal items at local dinners like a house salad with vinegar and salt or carry your own low cal/ no cal dressing. A hard boilded egg is only 72 calories and easy to get at a restaraunt that serves breakfast.

JUDDD only cares about the calories so you choose what you eat that fits in those limits.

I know other juddd buds will be along to share their support as well.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I wish I hadn't read the "eating out" thread. Now I feel like I have too many choices!!! Here I was getting used to nothing but chicken broth and dill pickles.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
We're big on eating out (mostly fast food places). I love Wendys chili for dds and I've also eaten at mcdonalds, fazolis and places that have salad bars. I also had an amazing fajita salad at a local Mexican resturant, so that's something to look into if you go to a Mexican place. Also Taco Bell soft chicken tacos are 170 calories a piece and their crunchy taco supremes are 200 calories each (I think regular tacos are 170?).

I started my weight loss journey doing lc. I quickly lost 10lbs, then stalled and gained 3 right back. That's when I found JUDDD and it's been the perfect fit for me. I've lost 38 pounds (31 from JUDDD), and I've been maintaining for about a month now. I have.found that I can actually maintain with just one dd and one mid day (900ish calories) a week. Very doable for real life

Last edited by mom23kids; 03-29-2013 at 05:03 PM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Andy! I think JUDDD would be great for you. If you stick to the numbers, drink the water, and try adding a little exercise, you will get results! Several members i think have done LC along with JUDDD and do well. I wish you the best.
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: deborahlh
Stats: 191/191/150
WOE: IF
Start Date: July 2014
hey Andy....welcome!!!
I am one of the ones doing LC/JUDDD purely because almost all carby foods send me into binge mode and also make my DDs super hard. I don't count every carb like I did on Atkins but I am careful. It works! The first few dds are hard, but it gets easier and i am actually starting to enjoy them because I feel (for once) that I am in control.
Great to have you here!
deborahlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
! One observation. Due to your regular eating habits, you may find it hard to get all your UDs calories in at first. You may especially may find it hard to get the calories in if you stay low carb, and it is very important to get the UD calories in! You may try to add in a few carbs(like a tortillia, veggies, fruit, cupcakes lol) slowly so you can start getting those calories in. Welcome again! Look forward to hearing more from you.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I don't know if you can use Ali every other day and it not affect you (in the bathroom) on opposite days that you DO eat fat. Is Sensa something you sprinkle on your food? If it's what I think it is, it's basically glucomannan powder, which does help with feeling full. It's nothing to do with your brain though.

Good luck and !
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I hope you will find this WOE to be something that will work for you. Its hard to decide on a WOE that will work for weight loss and for a lifestyle.

Quote:
Sometimes I actually count my alcohol carbs, and other times, I fall off the wagon on a Saturday night, only to find myself starting Induction once again on Sunday.

This is, in my opinion, one of the lovely things about JUDDD. Its quite forgiving. You don't lose days to weeks worth of progress with one oops-day. You're likely to see slower weight loss if you do this every weekend but the occasional overindulgence won't totally derail you like it will in the more traditional LC.

Also, I do think I need to watch my calories. The all you can eat fat smorgasbord that is Atkins, EFGT, etc. I don't think works too well with my metabolism.

This is a true statement for many people! I think, at some point, the sheer number of calories one is taking in can overwhelm the ketotic weight loss method...even though LC isn't about calories, per se, you can hit a point of diminishing returns from overdoing it on the calories, even if they're LOC calories.

...but I can still enjoy a somewhat normal lifestyle without totally sabotaging months of hard work. Is that accurate???

Yes...to a point. See above warning about too many UUAD (up, up and away days).

Will this work for someone my size?
I don't see why not. In fact, most JBs find that the more they have to lose, the faster they see the scale move initially.

I've been on the JUDDD website and I've read a lot of your posts. I know that if I can't truly do 500 calories, that I can go up a little.
Great!! Calculate your numbers being sure to change the radio buttons to pounds, feet, inches, woman, etc. Depending on your stats, you may find you get to start at a higher DD anyway.

I get that part. I'm just curious if there are success stories for people in my weight range, or if this is more successful for those on the smaller side, of well, me! My problem has NEVER been the amount of food I eat, in fact, comparatively, I eat very little. This will have to change. At least in relation to the UDs. You MUST MUST MUST MUST eat all your UD calories. JUDDD works, in part, because of the swing between UDs and DDs.

The LC JBs will be able to answer this better than me but you must expect you'll see a bounce up on the scale, water weight, if you start adding carbs back in, especially if you go whole hog on the carbs. There is a physiologic basis for this, I explained it somewhere, I'll try to find it and link it for you as to why this happens. Expect it, don't worry about it, drink lots of water and you'll flush out the retained water.

4- My only worry is what not eating does to my blood sugar.

As already stated, I believe you'll find your blood sugar will stabelize and you're not having this problem anymore once you get into the swing (ha ha ha) of JUDDD.

I missed it somewhere, but you asked about Alki (?) the fat blocking thing as well. I'd say no because you don't want to block calories you've accounted for and you need to eat your UD calories, and its not really safe to try to "cheat" your DDs.

Your metabolism likely needs a bit of repair, and I think you'll find JUDDD to be the way to make that happen! Its not just a WOE, its a WOL!!!!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #13

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Andy! You may have just found the best WOE you've ever heard of in JUDDD. First, I encourage you to read as many of the JUDDD threads as you can, and go back as far as you have time to. There's so much great and helpful information. Reading about different people's experiences doing this will help prepare you for what it's really like, and how to make it work in your life.

When I started losing (this time!) in January 2012, I weighed 318.5. I did Low Carb for about 2 months, was losing very slowly and knew I needed to step it up and go to Induction levels. I had lost 94 pounds about 10-11 years ago, part of it with Atkins and I loved it. Loved the way LC makes me feel, like you, got rid of some gut issues. So anyway, I reduced to Induction levels and lost really well for about 5 more months and then it slllloooooowwwwwed down. In total, I lost 54.5 pounds LCing.

Then I stumbled across this board and JUDDD. That was August, and I lurked awhile, read a lot, asked a few questions, and then planned to start right after Labor Day. When I started, I immediately started losing well again. At that point I was 264. I kept LC pretty well for a few months, just because it was what I knew, and I didn't trust my body to handle carbs. When Thanksgiving came, I was feeling better about adding them in, and boy did I! I enjoyed the heck out of Thanksgiving, ate all the traditional holiday goodies all through December, and I lost 9 pounds in December!

As the others have mentioned, when/if you add carbs back, you may want to go slowly. But if not, don't sweat it. Just know that you'll immediately put on a few pounds of water/glycogen. It'll come back off pretty quickly. I am looking to reduce my carbs again right now, but mostly because I feel better relatively LC. But I'll in no way be even close to Induction levels!

Ask all the questions you want. The people on this board are amazing and giving with their wisdom and support. Glad to have you aboard, and good luck!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Wow. Thank you all so much for the warm welcomes and for the encouragement and great advice!!! I talked a lot of this over with my husband this weekend and he and I decided to begin this tomorrow (with an UD). I have been immersing myself in this board and these threads all weekend and I feel very confident we're ready for this! I'm sure I'll have a thousand more questions (in fact I can already think of a few ) it's so fantastic to have such a great resource for support!

Hope you all are enjoying the Easter bunny today! And I'm guessing because of this diet, you are!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #15

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Oooops, sorry I didn't get back, but it seems you have had all the usual great JB support.

Looking forward to seeing you and DH's progress.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/155/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Andy, glad to meet a new friend and welcome a new JUDDD BUDDD. I can't add anything to the great advice you've been given but that won't stop me from typing anyway.

I've been low carbing since the '80's and got tired of losing and finding the same 10 - 15 pounds. Then discovered this woe in June and have lost a total of 40 pounds and if you've been reading these threads you've run across my story a few times as I've been prolific in posting it and showing my appreciation for the great folks on this forum.

I'll remind you to be sure and check in regularly, it helps the weight loss and attitude...be sure to check out the daily chat threads, the NSV's, the newby's post here threads, and keep us informed of your progress and you will show a progress the longer you stick around.

I don't know how many carbs you've been trying to restrict yourself to but remember the Standard American Diet, or the SAD diet as we refer to it, has 300 carbs daily as the norm. I've found if I keep to 100 on UD's and under 50 on DD's I feel better for the gut (I've GERD so take PPA's and have done so for longer than you want to know). I've shown my greatest losses with maintaining an average of 70...which may give you an idea of a place to start.

I stick to standard rotations as that's better for me, having had a MD thrown in to change rotations for a special event. Some of our friends stick to a regular schedule of DD's on M-W-F with a MD on Saturday and an UD on Sunday...some are trying the hot 5:2 woe, with only two DD's a week. I would heartily recommend sticking to the plan until you find how this woe will work for you.

Oh and BTW, the month with my greatest loss of 14 pounds was the first month and I had fun the entire month enjoying all the things I had been restricting for so long...so relax and enjoy this woe and don't be too discouraged when hubby loses more and faster than you do.

Good luck and welcome to our forum and way of life.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection

Last edited by Mssarge; 03-31-2013 at 04:47 PM..
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
That's fantastic Andy! I'm glad you and DH are doing it together - its really important to have support, either active or passive, from those most important to you.
Please stick around, post your questions, etc. Someone will start an "April Newbie" thread tomorrow - join in and ask away! There is a ton of experience on these boards and the support is second to none.
Get ready to rock this WOE!!!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I've done it all- started Atkins way back in early 2000 when it was all the hype, moved into South Beach at one point, and then back again, and so on and so on. In between I've failed WW numerous times, Nutrisystem way too many times for my own good, and other in between. I've been on, and failed, low carb so many times I can't count. Mid January I started back once again, and admittedly this time with more vigor and determination than ever before. However, I find myself once again in the same cycle I've been in for YEARS. I start low-carb, do well for a few weeks, but then fail to loose anymore weight.
I could have written every word of this about myself.

Quote:
1- I travel every other week for work. I am on the road M-F. While I have honestly lost MORE weight on traditional diets and diets like WW, they are much much more difficult to do when you're eating out B/L/D 5 days a week. I know I can modify a room service order much more easily to be low carb than to fit WW and even then, would never be able to accurately count the points.
Since I'm writing this answer on a train, on a down day, I can say that JUDDD is the easiest diet I've ever done while on the go. With two caveats. I've been JUDDDing almost 39 weeks now and I'm very well adapted to fasting. Consequently, when faced with a day on a train and a food car filled with inappropriate choices, it's pretty easy to just not eat. However, I can say that now. In the early months, it was hard. It was a serious challenge. Fasting is like a muscle. You've gotta work up to it. But when you do, wow, totally worth it. The second caveat is that traveling on a down day is a snap--however, being in a hotel, socializing with people who want to go out to snazzy restaurants on a down day, now that is a challenge. But it would have been a challenge anyway, on low carb or WW or Nutrisystem or anything else.

Quote:
2- I LOVE how Low Carb makes me feel.
Great. Keep doing it. JUDDD doesn't care if you eat low carb or not. However, I think you may find that the flexibility to occasionally fall into a chocolate cake will keep you on track...

Quote:
3- I believe in this lifestyle. Maybe I've read too much Taubes et. al. but I do believe in it.
Me too. But I also know that I cannot live quite that stringently. It's a goal to strive for, but weight loss is a higher priority for me right now.

Quote:
1. I don't EVER lose weight. I loose a little in a very slow pace initially, but even when 100% on plan, I don't have nearly the weight loss as other people have or these books proclaim.
My best year of low carb, following the rules perfectly, never ever having a screw up...I lost 17 lbs. The minute I let a piece of pizza pass my lips, I gained half of it back. Then I spent the next five years losing and gaining the same ten pounds.

Quote:
2. It's tough. Here come the excuses, but, it is what it is. I can eat LC, but I can't make it a WOE forever. I'm Italian, I'm a foodie, I love Sushi and Asian food, we attend many sporting events, yeah, I like to drink beer with my husband
I don't think these are excuses. This is called life. I feel that when diets do not take life into account--the happy stuff that goes on around food, the deeply held emotions that attach themselves to food, and the primal pleasures we derive from food--the diet is bound to fail. What I learned on JUDDD is that I can have wicked strong willpower, but not forever. Just for a limited window.

Ask me not to eat pasta for a day, I can do that. Ask me to never eat it again, and the prospect is so daunting and depressing that I gain a pound just thinking about it.

Quote:
I'm so sick of being the girl who isn't eating at the dinner club we participate in, or who has to make her own special food for a party, or who isn't going to tailgate with our group when football season rolls around. I know, these are excuses, but these are the excuses that have made this so hard for me to commit to long term.
Sing it sister! This is why I love JUDDD. I almost never have to feel that way again. Occasionally a social obligation falls on a down day and I must make a decision to either be the girl who eats only a salad with dressing on the side, or to change my rotation. And it's a decision that I make based on the event. If it's just a local chapter meeting at the lousy Italian restaurant we always end up going to anyway, I really don't mind sticking to a down day.

Quote:
So, I like the benefits of JUDDD in that it will force me to calorie count (which I think will be best for me), I can incorporate LC eating into it so I don't loose those benefits, but I can still enjoy a somewhat normal lifestyle without totally sabotaging months of hard work. Is that accurate???
Yes.

Quote:
1- I noticed quite a few of you on here are maintaining, or at the last 10 or 15lbs of your WL journey, but more importantly most of you (it seems) are significantly smaller than I am.
I'm a big huge woman. I lost forty pounds so far by being relatively half-assed about JUDDD. Sometimes I gripe about the fact that the last ten pounds have come off slowly, but then I realize that I have not had one week since November when I was actually totally compliant with the diet. And you know what? I'm still losing weight and getting healthier. That's why I love this WOE!

Quote:
I started doing JUDDD relatively low carb. I still feel better if I keep my carbs on the lower side, but when I say that, I mean, under 150 g. Which is quite a cry away from the 20-30g on Atkins.

Quote:
At first, this was rough for me. I would go to subway and scoop out the bread and have a measley sandwich that would make me hungrier because of the bread. Today I had a cup of coffee this morning with 20 calories of creamer in it...and now it's about 10pm and that's it. So easy peasy.

Quote:
I predict this is going to happen to you quite a few times in the beginning. You're going to feel like dog poo and hate us with the heat of a thousand suns for recommending that you try it. But if you stick with it, you could notice rapid changes in a matter of weeks if not days. I was headed for weight loss surgery, so to me, the investment of time was worth it. I told myself it was the same kind of time I'd need to heal from being cut open, so why not give myself that time. I'm so glad I did.

Good luck!

Last edited by stephdray; 03-31-2013 at 08:00 PM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
You're going to feel like dog poo and hate us with the heat of a thousand suns for recommending that you try it. But if you stick with it, you could notice rapid changes in a matter of weeks if not days.

And Andy, if you do feel tempted to hate us with the heat of a thousand suns, read Steph's weekly entries to show how it can change!

JUDDD over 14 weeks
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
That's what always gets me...the blood sugar drop. The hunger feeling doesn't bother me at all. But when cals are low, I get spacey, stupid, and my vision is altered.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #21

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
Quote:
You have had many others give you great advice on everything you have asked, I thought I would just address this specific item. Before I started, blood sugar issues was my MAIN concern. I have had reactive hypoglycemia for my entire life. My daughter has the same thing and from what I gather, we have it pretty severe (Per DR). I do have to watch it. I center all of my DD's on getting in protein. I have gotten quite creative with it at times. Walmart sells a Protein shake that has 120c and I think 20+ grams of protein. I started by using that. I still keep it at the house, but I can't remember the last time I drank one. Honestly, if you get in your protein, things should be ok. I do have some issues first thing in the morning while exercising on a DD. I find that happens when I save a bunch of my UD calories for my evening eating, like for DESSERT, then I suffer the next morning. That can cause me more issues than an entire DD! YMMV, you will figure out quickly what works best for you!

Monica -Come see my journey!

Last edited by zipp2play; 04-01-2013 at 06:55 AM..
zipp2play is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
You have had many others give you great advice on everything you have asked, I thought I would just address this specific item. Before I started, blood sugar issues was my MAIN concern. I have had reactive hypoglycemia for my entire life. My daughter has the same thing and from what I gather, we have it pretty severe (Per DR). I do have to watch it. I center all of my DD's on getting in protein. I have gotten quite creative with it at times. Walmart sells a Protein shake that has 120c and I think 20+ grams of protein. I started by using that. I still keep it at the house, but I can't remember the last time I drank one. Honestly, if you get in your protein, things should be ok. I do have some issues first thing in the morning while exercising on a DD. I find that happens when I save a bunch of my UD calories for my evening eating, like for DESSERT, then I suffer the next morning. That can cause me more issues than an entire DD! YMMV, you will figure out quickly what works best for you!
Thanks so much for this advice! This is actually my biggest concern so I appreciate hearing from those that suffer this too. It's good to know about the protein. I will remember that! Also, I will make sure to spread my eating out on UD's to 6 small meals a day (like I have been taught to do). Thanks!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post

And Andy, if you do feel tempted to hate us with the heat of a thousand suns, read Steph's weekly entries to show how it can change!

JUDDD over 14 weeks
As long as you all don't mind me hating you. I think I've made my poor husband suffer enough over the years with all my yo-yo dieting. I'm surprised the guy hasn't filed some sort of domestic abuse charges on me for the craziness I have put him through.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
As long as you all don't mind me hating you. I think I've made my poor husband suffer enough over the years with all my yo-yo dieting. I'm surprised the guy hasn't filed some sort of domestic abuse charges on me for the craziness I have put him through.
The hardest part is in the beginning. I think many of us would say after awhile the down days are easier than the up days! Sometimes they can still be hungry, but often, people feel energetic, and I always have mental clarity and focus on DDs. I used to get low blood sugar reactions sometimes (shaky, clammy, etc.) if I would eat something carby with no protein and not eat again for too long, but it hasn't happened on JUDDD.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
I could have written every word of this about myself.

Since I'm writing this answer on a train, on a down day, I can say that JUDDD is the easiest diet I've ever done while on the go. With two caveats. I've been JUDDDing almost 39 weeks now and I'm very well adapted to fasting. Consequently, when faced with a day on a train and a food car filled with inappropriate choices, it's pretty easy to just not eat. However, I can say that now. In the early months, it was hard. It was a serious challenge. Fasting is like a muscle. You've gotta work up to it. But when you do, wow, totally worth it. The second caveat is that traveling on a down day is a snap--however, being in a hotel, socializing with people who want to go out to snazzy restaurants on a down day, now that is a challenge. But it would have been a challenge anyway, on low carb or WW or Nutrisystem or anything else.

Great. Keep doing it. JUDDD doesn't care if you eat low carb or not. However, I think you may find that the flexibility to occasionally fall into a chocolate cake will keep you on track...

Me too. But I also know that I cannot live quite that stringently. It's a goal to strive for, but weight loss is a higher priority for me right now.

My best year of low carb, following the rules perfectly, never ever having a screw up...I lost 17 lbs. The minute I let a piece of pizza pass my lips, I gained half of it back. Then I spent the next five years losing and gaining the same ten pounds.

I don't think these are excuses. This is called life. I feel that when diets do not take life into account--the happy stuff that goes on around food, the deeply held emotions that attach themselves to food, and the primal pleasures we derive from food--the diet is bound to fail. What I learned on JUDDD is that I can have wicked strong willpower, but not forever. Just for a limited window.

Ask me not to eat pasta for a day, I can do that. Ask me to never eat it again, and the prospect is so daunting and depressing that I gain a pound just thinking about it.

Sing it sister! This is why I love JUDDD. I almost never have to feel that way again. Occasionally a social obligation falls on a down day and I must make a decision to either be the girl who eats only a salad with dressing on the side, or to change my rotation. And it's a decision that I make based on the event. If it's just a local chapter meeting at the lousy Italian restaurant we always end up going to anyway, I really don't mind sticking to a down day.

Yes.

I'm a big huge woman. I lost forty pounds so far by being relatively half-assed about JUDDD. Sometimes I gripe about the fact that the last ten pounds have come off slowly, but then I realize that I have not had one week since November when I was actually totally compliant with the diet. And you know what? I'm still losing weight and getting healthier. That's why I love this WOE!

I started doing JUDDD relatively low carb. I still feel better if I keep my carbs on the lower side, but when I say that, I mean, under 150 g. Which is quite a cry away from the 20-30g on Atkins.

At first, this was rough for me. I would go to subway and scoop out the bread and have a measley sandwich that would make me hungrier because of the bread. Today I had a cup of coffee this morning with 20 calories of creamer in it...and now it's about 10pm and that's it. So easy peasy.

I predict this is going to happen to you quite a few times in the beginning. You're going to feel like dog poo and hate us with the heat of a thousand suns for recommending that you try it. But if you stick with it, you could notice rapid changes in a matter of weeks if not days. I was headed for weight loss surgery, so to me, the investment of time was worth it. I told myself it was the same kind of time I'd need to heal from being cut open, so why not give myself that time. I'm so glad I did.

Good luck!
THANK YOU!!!! While totally making me crap up, your advice is also inspiring! You're right that traveling is a challenge with ANY diet. I'm lucky that I don't travel with co-workers, so hotels are not an issue for me. What is going to take some tweaking is client lunches, which I do fairly often. And too many of my clients have gotten way to used to eating at fabulous places with me. But, I think I can work around my UD's and hopefully make this work. I drive 3-4 hours when I do travel (boy do I WISH Texas understood train travel!) and I am prone to snacking to pass the time. But I am in my own car, which means I have the power over what I do. The willpower that is, although willpower and I don't get along too well. We'll have to learn to like each other again.

It seems like a lot of you doing this "low carb" are in the 100-150 gm range. Which is totally reasonable and probably reflects more of what I did successfully losing with SB. I like that as a goal. It will probably take me a little while to mentally get myself there (why does eating a carb scare the bejesus out of me when I'm not necessarily losing on not eating them, who knows). My big thing is adding fruit back in, oh my gosh, that is like a dream. I love fruit, especially summer fruits, more than almost any other food and denying myself has been killing me! I must be the first fat person on earth who can't WAIT to eat a piece of fruit!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #26

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
No way! Summer fruit season is going to be a joy for me this season too. Last year at this time I was turning down fresh oranges and orange juice from my Mom's tree, and going into yet another summer w/o my beloved peaches, plums, watermelon, canteloupe, etc etc. It's going to be a great spring/summer!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #27

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
OH LCG girl, I enjoyed PEACHES and TOMATOES to abundance last summer! I can't wait for them to come into season AGAIN!!!!!
zipp2play is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I love melon and cherries. I like plums too, but never remember to pick them up. We have H-Mart now and their produce is really awesome, better than Stop & Shop, which is not great.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #29

I have monster avocados and strawberries I picked up this weekend. Love them!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Zipp-thanks for your input on handling blood sugar issues. I will try your suggestion.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote