Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   How low is too low for blood sugar? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/800572-how-low-too-low-blood-sugar.html)

shepheka 03-28-2013 07:23 PM

How low is too low for blood sugar?

My friend is diabetic and always has his monitor on him. Today is a down day for me. I was curious and we did a blood sugar reading for me. It was 50. He got alarmed and told me I need to eat something right away. I feel fine. So my question is how low is too low? :dunno:

Yennie 03-28-2013 08:25 PM

In general, it should not drop below 60, and most individuals will seizure at a reading below 40. Having said that, it is an incredibly individual thing.
For someone who is NOT diabetic, a low BG, especially transiently, is not a big deal if you otherwise feel ok. Alpha cells of the pancreas release glucogon when your BG gets too low, stimulates glucose release from stores and your blood sugar rises. The reason it is of concern for Diabetics is that often, they have a faulty glucogon feedback and will end up with hypoglycemic unawareness. So, yes, for a diabetic - bad news. For you, as long as you feel fine, shouldn't be a big deal.
Having said all that, if you think you have an underlying medical problem then you should report this to your doctor as abnormal glucose metabolism can be a sign of a bigger problem.

piratejenny 03-28-2013 10:10 PM

Monitors are also not 100% accurate. They have an error margin of about 15-20%.

If I get an unusually high or low reading, I test again.
My meter also tests wrong if it's too cold
(my bedroom is usually below 50 degrees and I have to warm it up).
Were you guys outside, or had he just brought the meter in from the car or something?

50 seems pretty low but unless a person is taking insulin, their blood sugar is very unlikely to get dangerously low.

shepheka 03-28-2013 11:50 PM

Thanks for the responses. I don't think his meter was too cold but it is possible. We were at work when we used it. I guess as long as I feel OK I won't worry. The only reason I had concern was because he seemed so worried about it. My mother did have type 2, she developed it in her sixties, but she never watched what she ate. I am hoping I can avoid it by taking charge of my weight and diet. We shall see.

piratejenny 03-29-2013 10:20 AM

As long as you're not taking anything to keep your blood sugar low (like cinnamon), and you feel fine, I think you'll be okay. :)

I have Type II and since I don't take insulin, I rarely worry about my blood sugar getting too low. If I fast too long, my BG will actually go up, even if all I have is water. Our bodies will either use stored glucose (glycogen) or make glucose from amino acids or fatty acids. (gluconeogenesis). How sweet of your friend to be concerned for you, though. :love:

Kissa 03-29-2013 03:53 PM

Unless you know you have a health problem and if you feel fine, stay away from 'testing'.

Most people do not need to worry about their blood sugar levels.

jem51 03-31-2013 08:40 AM

If you're not taking meds and have no symptoms, no worries.

Dottie 03-31-2013 09:05 AM

How did you feel? If I get into the low 60's, I start getting shaky and fuzzy headed.
I'm not diabetic, good blood sugars(under 100 most of the time, under 120 after meals) but occasionally dipping too low(for me).

Strawberry 03-31-2013 11:25 AM

If you are not diabetic and not on insulin.... low is only "too low" if you are having symptoms. (I would bet your meter isnt accurate too)

Diabetics often dont feel symptoms, until they pass out or their sugar drops even lower and they get severe symptoms... so they have more of a danger zone and this advice wouldnt apply.