Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DianeDelgado
Stats: 199/176.2/145
WOE: Atkins 1/2009
Start Date: JUDD 1/2013
at a crossroads

I have to say the people on this forum are so kind, supportive and knowledgable. After my two thyroid surgeries, and the weight gain I experienced during treatment and getting my meds optimized, I thought I would give JUDD a try. I love the concept, and the research is encouraging about additional health improvements beyond weight loss.
This is what I have learned about myself: I have a hard time with the freedom. I lost over 40 pounds on LC in 2009, and kept it off; my family and friends couldn't believe how diciplined I was. When I was told by the DR that I would gain weight no matter what until my metabilism was working through the meds, I didn't know what to do. Then I became defeated. I gained over 20lbs. I am now at a point that my meds are correct, and there is no reason for me not to loose the weight....but, I find myself binging.
I think what I will do 2 week of LC (20 NC) induction, then transition into JUDD with LC, but higher than 20 NC. I do want to get to a point that I can have some of the foods I didn't have for 4 years....but, with control.
Can anyone tell me if you have struggled with some of the same issues?
Sorry for the long post.
DianeDelgado is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Diane, I haven't had the kind of severe thyroid problems you have had..I do know some of the ones on here have had some of that to deal with...and they have been very successful with losing weight...hopefully, when they have time, they can share some of their experience with you...the main problem that I have had about gaining and losing weight has been because of doing extremely low calorie diets when I was younger..I lost weight, but..as I ate normally, the pounds just piled on..I believe that this woe is going to help get my metabolism back to where it should be...the Dr always says my thyroid looks fine, after tests....but sometimes I wonder just what that really means..good luck to you as you figure it all out, and I'm sure you will..
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Diane, I'm so sorry you're struggling with this. Yes, I definitely think carbs can trigger my binge monster, and I always think of and use LC as my fallback, within JUDDD now. And I am still figuring out which exact foods are my triggers. Some carby things don't seem to do it. Some do but only if I've had a significant amount, and others just trigger no matter what.

I think your plan is a good one. Induction (for me) always tames the cravings and calms down my appetite. I added carbs in very slowly when I started JUDDDing, and I think it really helped me identify problem areas before it got too out of control. Maybe if you add them in in small amounts, and with one carby food at a time, you'll have more luck seeing where your problem foods are.

Stick with us, post often for support! Good luck with your plan!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
and
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: deborahlh
Stats: 191/191/150
WOE: IF
Start Date: July 2014
YES! I get it Diane....when i first started JUDDD (after LCing quite a while) I got excited about adding back in carby food and well it didn't work out too well and I started binging.

But now i don't really count carbs, but I keep them in check. It is working really well.
I love what Locarbgal suggested about adding one carbier food in at a time just to see how you react.

JUDDD and LC can absolutely be done together!
I wish you lots of success and please keep posting!
deborahlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I think it sounds like a great idea Diane. The control you enjoy when in induction is very empowering.

When you are ready to relax the carbs and reintroduce the rotations I am sure it will go well.

Some people have even combined Induction levels while Juddding... though I don't know that I could manage that. We are all different and the trick is to find the right path.

I am delighted that they have your metabolism back on track once more.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
This is just a personal perspective. I did LC LF years ago and Quickly lost 30 pounds and kept it off for many years. Enter a foot problem and foot surgery and I gradually crept back up to 180 pounds.
When I started JUDDD, I was so starving for all of the things that I had denied myself for so many years that I had way too many UUAD's. It has taken me a full year to get over that. NOW I can eat small portions of whatever and keep on going. So time and patience are the things that I can suggest and gradually introducing a carbier food back into your life. The thing I LOVE about JUDDD is that I do not have to live on a LC diet for the rest of my life BUT it took me awhile to get here. And it is all about learning and experimenting. Find the foods that cause you to go hog wild and eliminate them. I have some items I will no longer even buy because I know how I react to them.
It will work in time and I hope you great success.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Hi Diane, I'm so sorry you are going through this, and I completely understand. I had my thyroid competely removed in 2003. I did gain weight, I gained 60 pounds in about 7 months. My medication took a long time to optimize. It actually took about 3 or more years. I had to get on a natural thyroid-it is called armour. Also, my dose was quite high-10 grain(which is very high) Now I am down to 6 grain.
One of the biggest problems I had long term was appetite-my metabolism, although it looked good on my bloodwork-was sill messed up. My body told me I was starving. It was in starvation mode even though I was 50 pounds overweight, so I would eat non-stop. The only thing that helped me after years of struggle, was going on Atkins. I think the 2 week induction reset something in my metabolism. After being on Atkins for a month, I was free to move on to JUDDD, but if I find myself binging again I will go back to Atkins.
Another thing I experienced with thyroid removal, was I wasn't myself for the longest time. It is hard to explain. I didn't look like myself, feel like myself, I couldn't function, really. I hope you are feeling okay and not experiencing any of that.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DianeDelgado
Stats: 199/176.2/145
WOE: Atkins 1/2009
Start Date: JUDD 1/2013
I want to thank all of you for your unwavering support. I hope you know how important it is to come to this site and feel safe and accepted for whatever I (we are going through). Kind of funny, because I am a counselor Healer, heal thyself!
I really believe I will start Monday, April 1 with the 2 week Atkins induction.
Hot in Texas....your words could be mine. I just don't feel myself. My "numbers" are coming back "in range", and I feel blessed to have the cancerous thyroid removed and it seems it was contained (so far)...but, your thyroid regulates so much more than just your metabilism. It also doesn't help to be 57 and post menapausal I always believe there are no accidents....and, I was supposed to learn something with all this .... patience!
Thank you again everyone, for all of your support.
DianeDelgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012

Sher, I had no idea you had been thru all that...sounds like a hard time..I think that what you and others say about getting the carbs under control makes a lot of sense...I know that I have had to do some LC days in order to get the cravings under control, and it is process of finding out what the triggers are.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #11

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Please post here still.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #12

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
My perspective is probably going to be a little different, just because my experience has been so different.

I started JUDDD in December of 2011. I lost 45 pounds (35 since starting JUDDD) when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in March of 2012. I was absolutely positive that all my symptoms were NOT related to my thyroid because I was losing well and steadily. Turns out my TSH was high and my thyroid had gotten so out of whack that my core body temperature was in the 95 point something range. I was literally hypothermic and barely functioning. I had all the classic hypo symptoms (brain fog, memory and concentration problems, lethargy, depression, on and on and on), but I was losing weight. I was started on medication and it actually became a bit harder to lose the weight (not horribly, but there was an adjustment period). Each time my medication was increased, my weight loss slowed. Doesn't sound right, does it? It always picked back up when my body had adjusted to the new dosage.

It took about a year to get "optimized" whatever that means. I still have some symptoms, but I function much better and feel better than I have in a long time, so I'm going with my current 75 mcg of brand name Synthroid ~ for now. I still have my thyroid, and thank goodness it's still working to some degree.

I also suspect Hashimoto's. When I look back at my struggles over the years, I have had hyper periods as well as hypo. Unfortunately, the test for Hashi's is unreliable, and short of a needle biopsy, I'll probably never know for sure. I do know, though, in my heart, that that's my lot in life. I have a couple of other autoimmune issues, so it just makes sense. The treatment is the same whether I'm your standard hypothyroid patient, or one with Hashi's, so it's a non-issue at this point. It may become an issue as I age, and if my thyroid decides to completely stop working, but I'll deal with that when/if it happens.

I have never been a binge eater or an emotional eater. I didn't always make the healthiest of choices, though, and thought that was why my weight ballooned up so high, despite being active and periodic dieting. I now know it was probably my thyroid all along, and wish I would have known years ago to be on the look out. (I found out AFTER my diagnosis, that both my mother and grandmother had thyroid disease--which they failed to share with me and they were both gone by the time I was diagnosed.)

Anyway, I'm saying all of this simply to let you know you're not alone. Thyroid disease sucks! It's just one more thing we have to overcome in this journey to better health. But . . . I was able to lose without medication, and then continue to lose once I was on it. It CAN happen, if you choose to make it happen. It may be harder. It WILL be harder, who am I kidding? It's so worth it in the end, though.

I think your plan to go low carb for a couple of weeks is a good one. Knock on wood, I'm so happy I don't have issues with carbs. I really feel for you, and I KNOW you can slay that dragon. We're here for you.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeDelgado View Post
I want to thank all of you for your unwavering support. I hope you know how important it is to come to this site and feel safe and accepted for whatever I (we are going through). Kind of funny, because I am a counselor Healer, heal thyself!
I really believe I will start Monday, April 1 with the 2 week Atkins induction.
Hot in Texas....your words could be mine. I just don't feel myself. My "numbers" are coming back "in range", and I feel blessed to have the cancerous thyroid removed and it seems it was contained (so far)...but, your thyroid regulates so much more than just your metabilism. It also doesn't help to be 57 and post menapausal I always believe there are no accidents....and, I was supposed to learn something with all this .... patience!
Thank you again everyone, for all of your support.
Hope you get it all under control soon. You have to have both T4 and T3 in your thyroid hormone. Some people have to just take T4 and their bodies convert it to the T3 they need. Some people need to take both.(you probably already know this, i was so messed up after my thyroidectomy, i could barely take care of myself, let alone understand what T3 and T4 meant)
I think I was an extreme case though because my TSH got up to 125 which really messed things up for awhile.
Take it easy, and pamper yourself, it is not an easy thing you have gone through. Let us know how things are going for you from time to time Or everyday if you want.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote