Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Potato DD question (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/800527-potato-dd-question.html)

williamson_ja 03-28-2013 08:37 AM

Potato DD question

For those of you eating all potatoes on your down day, doesn't that add up to a ton of calories? According to a tracker, one large potato has 310 calories. So, I could only eat 1 1/4 potatoes before my calories were up for the day. That doesn't seem like a lot of food. Are you guys just not counting calories on your potato days or what? I don't get it.

adillenal 03-28-2013 08:41 AM

I am in maintenance and I weigh my potatoes and multiply X 27 calories per ounce. So 16 ounces of potato would be 432 calories. I am in maintenance but have lost 5 pounds this month doing potato DD's with calories at least 600 up to 1000 on potato DD's. I only had two very low calorie DD's this month when I did only liquids.
I buy the small gold potatoes, boil and store in the frig. I like the little 3 or 4 ounce potatoes and eaten cold with salt are quite filling now that I have been doing it for awhile. At first I could not get full just eating potatoes.I like being able to eat more calories on DD's and still maintain or actualy lose.

ouizoid 03-28-2013 08:42 AM

potatoes are only about a calorie/gram. Weigh your potatoes. They are also incredibly satiating, and, as long as you are not including fat or protein, it will be difficult to eat too many potatoes. Additionally, I lose weight on higher calories when I am only eating potatoes. Probably 600 or so per DD.

SlowSure 03-29-2013 04:51 AM

I vaguely maintained a DD/UD rotation during my potato hack (currently day 27). I didn't mind if my DD was about 50-100kcals high but really had to push to eat sufficient calories on my UDs because (as the others indicate) fat-free potato is difficult to eat in quantity.

Because it's been cold and I didn't always fancy cold potato (plus, I'd introduced rice because I was quite unwell on potato alone) I had congee (rice soup) as a high-volume, low-calorie DD meal and snack. (Preferred thickness of congee is a personal preference - as I like mine thin, it's 40 kcals per ,mug for me but other people like a much thicker one that might be nearer 140kcals.)

Everyone for whom it works seems to have a version of the PH that suits them.

sorenkkg 03-30-2013 09:24 AM

I'm thinking of trying ph on my dd when I travel in a couple weeks. Interesting to know we can go a bit higher on cals...

My last experience was awful (big blood sugar spike/drop, I think...I don't usually have bs issues) but may be worth trying again, and only having potatoes in the fridge (my hotel has kitchens in each room) might work for me.

Thanks for the continuing info!
:). S.

adillenal 03-30-2013 10:45 AM

DH has found my cold boiled potato stash in the frig and has been helping himself. I panicked yesterday because I thought I had eaten 3 pounds of gold potatoes on a DD. Soooo glad to find out I had help.

And I take cold boiled potatoes in a little cooler with me to events if it is a DD and I do just fine. My favorite is still the Yukon Golds.

sorenkkg 03-30-2013 01:04 PM

I'll give the yukons a try when I'm in ca in 2 weeks Adi :)