Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   How do you guys handle vacations? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/800481-how-do-you-guys-handle-vacations.html)

Flutter 03-27-2013 05:47 PM

How do you guys handle vacations?

We're leaving Sunday for Disney! I have no earthly idea how to handle JUDDD on vaca, though? Usually I'm southbeaching and have even been able to lose at Disney doing things that way. I need advice from you pros! I am afraid the few pounds I've worked so hard at losing this month are going to go bye-bye fast (and bring some more with them!) in the 6 days we're gone.

As it is now, we leave Sunday night, which would be an UD for me. I would rather it was a DD, actually, but MDs don't seem to be my friend so I'm reluctant to switch rotations. I am toying with the idea of making what would have been my DDs while there be fasting until dinner days and then what would have been my UDs just doing the best I can. :dunno: What have you guys done?

Yennie 03-27-2013 06:03 PM

This is kinda my plan when we go to Disney in 2 weeks. The 2 times I've been on mini-vacations and gone off plan my strategy was to eat what I wanted until I was full but to make it count - not eat something simply because it isn't nailed down but to be choosey. Kinda like we talk about doing with our UD cals - its gotta be good - but not counting.
So, for Disney, that's my plan. If we wanna do fried chicken at the Plaza Inn, then we will, but I won't feel the need to eat my whole plate, I will stop when I'm full. I expect I will bounce up a bit but I'm mentally preparing myself to be ok with it.
Also, I suspect you'll have a reduced appetite and we know the SIRTs will still be flowing so the damage might not be as bad as you think! When afforded the chance, choose a salad over fries, eat when you're hungry and I think you'll be just fine!
:heart: Disney!!!

TryingJudd 03-27-2013 06:32 PM

I went away this past fall and did fast five. Fasted till dinner then ate what I wanted - including wine and deserts. Walked a lot and didn't gain anything. Have fun!

adillenal 03-27-2013 06:34 PM

I just keep doing what I have always done. UD/DD but then I must be the odd man out.

Familyvet 03-27-2013 07:36 PM

No matter what you choose, you will be right back on track soon... Enjoy your time and don't sweat it! You will be fine!!!

Carly 03-28-2013 03:50 AM

I do Fast5 some days and other days just try to be mindful of what I eat. The first vacation I did not gain an ounce! The second 1 I gained a few pounds, but also came home to TOM, but they came off fast. Just enjoy! Life is too short!

Sirtain 03-28-2013 04:33 AM

However you decide to eat, be sure to drink plenty of (and more) water. It will make any extra you may gain come off easier.

mom23kids 03-28-2013 04:54 AM

Most of our vacation time this year will be spent driving from MI to TX for a cousin's wedding, and we'll be living off of fast food for several days. I'm just going to stay close to my maintenance calories everyday and not worry about doing any dds :)

Have fun!

zipp2play 03-28-2013 05:22 AM

We went on a cruise and I ate what I wanted. Came home and I had gained 4 pounds. LIFE is meant to be LIVED! ;) I say, do what you feel will LEAST interupt your family/fun time!

Flutter 03-28-2013 05:28 AM

I am with you, Monica! I am not sure I'll actually DO that, though. I'm not sure I'm prepared to deal with the possible weight gain when I come back. (and part of this is because I have a girls' trip one month after this Disney one and I have really big issues with being the fat friend. I'm always the fat friend. I'm tired of it.{sigh} Just being honest...)

It'll be interesting to see what I choose to do...

THANK YOU for the feedback friends! It's nice to have options!

KeirasMom 03-28-2013 07:42 AM

When I was in WLM, I stuck very strictly to UD/DD rotations, even while on vacation. Now that I'm maintaining, I wonder if that was really so important, but I'm proud that I did it. I also have let vacations ruin plans in the past (ex, I'd go off plan "just for the vacation" but then not get back on plan for a year!), so I was really afraid to stop my rotations on vacation.

There are so many ways to make IF work on vacations that it's really up to you and what you're comfortable doing. My last trip to Disney, in maintenance, I allowed 3 UUADs in a row, gained a few pounds, and dropped them pretty quickly. I second the recommendation to drink lots of water. And HAVE FUN!!

LoCarbGal 03-28-2013 08:06 AM

I planned to do Fast 5 for mine, wound up kinda sorta doing it but not really. Definitely ate too many calories all week...er...10 days. Gained quite a few pounds but potato hacked them off within about a week. Yes, the key is to have fun, and enjoy your family.

As for your girls vacation, those girls love you! No matter what. Enjoy them too. I do understand how you feel though. It's hard to get past that feeling.

Luna Loca 03-28-2013 09:12 AM

We went to South Africa last year for five weeks. Too long to just have up days. :laugh:

What we did, (we being me and DH) was just continue rotations, eating three meals on up days and one meal (dinner) on DDs. In addition, we ate very carefully on that one DD meal, choosing grilled meat and veggies or something similar. Light eating.

We got back from that trip and I had gained like three pounds. I can't remember if DH gained anything. My three pounds came back off pretty quickly.

No matter what you choose to do, I hope you have a really nice vacation! Have fun!!!

Luna Loca 03-28-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16340776)
Most of our vacation time this year will be spent driving from MI to TX for a cousin's wedding, and we'll be living off of fast food for several days. I'm just going to stay close to my maintenance calories everyday and not worry about doing any dds :)

Have fun!

Driving days (which we've done a lot of lately) are my favorite days to have as down days. None of the food is very appetizing to me. I drink a lot of tea, and carry my own tea supplies, so I go into one of those gas stations, get hot water from the spigot on the coffee pot, and go back out to the car to make my tea. That and a bathroom break, and I'm good to go.

DDs are easy for me if there's no kitchen nearby, LOL.

mom23kids 03-28-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luna Loca (Post 16341326)
Driving days (which we've done a lot of lately) are my favorite days to have as down days. None of the food is very appetizing to me. I drink a lot of tea, and carry my own tea supplies, so I go into one of those gas stations, get hot water from the spigot on the coffee pot, and go back out to the car to make my tea. That and a bathroom break, and I'm good to go.

DDs are easy for me if there's no kitchen nearby, LOL.

I :love: fast food :o But, maybe one of the days we can do Wendys so I can get my dd chili :laugh:

hot-in-texas 03-28-2013 02:16 PM

what's a vacation??

But if I were to go on one, I think I would do like Adi and Dawn-just stick with rotations! Drink lots of coffee and lattes and stuff on the DDs. You will be doing lots of walking, so it would probably be ok to have maybe 600 calorie DDs. Then on the UDs, do your real eating when you go to the real restaurants. And remember Dr J said you don't have to actually count your UD calories, just don't intentionally overeat!(whatever that means, i often find myself trying to rationalize this on UUADs) And keep in mind that girls trip-if that's not a motivator, I don't know what is!

Yennie 03-28-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16341126)
When I was in WLM, I stuck very strictly to UD/DD rotations, even while on vacation. Now that I'm maintaining, I wonder if that was really so important, but I'm proud that I did it. I also have let vacations ruin plans in the past (ex, I'd go off plan "just for the vacation" but then not get back on plan for a year!), so I was really afraid to stop my rotations on vacation.

Dawn,
I admire the heck out of you for being able to stick to your rotations while on vacation. I think that's incredible. Whatever you need to do for your mental stability.
The 2 times I've been "off plan" for mini-vacations or social activities/visits, I was just mindful of what I ate - did not use it as an excuse to go hog wild. Went to my favorite sandwich place but split it with my mom, that kind of stuff. Skipped the lousy breakfast buffet at the hotel to save space for a really delicious lunch. That kind of thing.
I think that its easier to go off JUDDD and then back on because:
1) Its not a brutal diet plan to follow - you don't feel the need to cram in every treat under the sun while you're off plan because you can have it on plan!
AND
2) The non-WL benefits of JUDDD carry over to your off-plan days, you've got appetite suppression, etc.
I think JUDDD, overall, changes our relationship with food so that we can learn to pass on something we don't really want today because we can have it tomorrow. I definitely noticed that on my vacations.

jdforshort 03-28-2013 11:18 PM

I have been on vacation twice since I started JUDDDing, went to Europe last August for 3 weeks, ate and drank what I wanted but walked the hell off. Gained 5 lbs but 3 lbs came off the day after I came home and the other 2 lbs went away 2-3 days later! Then 2 months later I went to NJ for 4 weeks, ate what I wanted but carefully and hiked. Put on 2 lbs, which came off within couple of days of coming home. For me vacation is to be enjoyed, so I took time off from counting calories too! However, both times I stayed away from fast food! Whatever you do, enjoy yourself and don't let the family members feel that you are "on diet". If you put on a lb or two, who cares? Just get back into the routine as soon as you get back!

As to being the "fat friend", I can assure you at this weight you are NOT fat! I have always been way heavier than most of my friends, I didn't care then (because I make up in personality!:lol:), and I care even less now!:D

P.S. FYI..I am going away to India next week for 4 weeks and plan to eat to my heart's content:yummy::yummy: and enjoy every bit of the vacation. I'll think about the consequences when I get back. Although, to be honest, I am not worried at all since I won't be eating any fast food but will be travelling and walking a lot!:sing::jumpjoy:

brewstate 03-29-2013 09:10 AM

Like Dawn, I hated to completely throw my eating out the window while on vacation because I was scared I would loose the nice flow. Therefore I did somewhat high DD's since you will be doing a lot of walking (even up to maintenance calories if needed) and regular UD's with a few free days thrown in for fun. Its really not that bad. However, if you feel secure with your rotations I'm sure a few days of indulgence wouldn't kill you. Obviously I have probelm with willpower so I didn't want to test it TOO much.

Mostly importantly Enjoy yourself! I love disney and have been many many times but not since my oldest was 1 and truthfully its so fun eating probably won't be on your mind all that much.

Flutter 03-30-2013 07:04 AM

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the input! I'll reread everyone's opinions again before we leave tomorrow. I go back and forth with my plans on what I'll do, but really, I have no idea. LOL! We have been to Disney enough that with the crazy crowds expected, about the only thing DH is looking forward to is eating. Ruh-roh. That sounds like trouble to me!

Maybe I can just not eat through vacation and stick to margaritas. How's that sound? :rofl::hyst::D 1 margarita on DDs, 3 margaritas on UDs, repeat for the week. ;)

LoCarbGal 03-30-2013 07:17 AM

Your margarita plan sounds good to me. Cool, refreshing, with qualities to help you cope with crowd issues and cranky kids. Score!

sloppail 03-30-2013 08:20 AM

Mmmmmmmmmm...margaritas :)

TryingJudd 03-30-2013 08:50 AM

I just wanted to second Yennie and others in skipping food that is not worth it and saving your splurges for the wonderful food opportunities, not the 'meh' ones. If it doesn't taste great eat half or not at all. Then if you gain anything it won't be for lousy, fast food you could get anywhere. Most of all -- enjoy!

hot-in-texas 03-30-2013 09:16 AM

I like the margarita diet plan!

jdforshort 03-30-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot-in-texas (Post 16344670)
I like the margarita diet plan!

Me too! One of my favorite "dishes"! And damn the headaches next morning! HAHA!:D

Flutter 03-31-2013 07:11 AM

Thanks again all! We fly out for Disney after getting the boys on the band busses this afternoon. We'll just have to see how things go! MIL is having us over for an early Easter lunch before we leave, so I'll fast until then, eat light there and maybe not much for the rest of the day. We're busy travelling. It's supposed to be an UD, but I don't see that happening. I'm not going to worry about it and just do what I can!

Have a great week! I'm taking my ipad, but not sure if I'll be able to check in. Definitely won't have a scale with me! See you all next weekend!

Yennie 03-31-2013 08:45 AM

Have a great time Melinda! I did the WDW band thing in HS, and loved it. I hope you guys have a fantastic time. Don't worry about it - the scale, JUDDD, rotations and all the JBs will be here with you get back.

stephdray 03-31-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16341126)

There are so many ways to make IF work on vacations that it's really up to you and what you're comfortable doing. My last trip to Disney, in maintenance, I allowed 3 UUADs in a row, gained a few pounds, and dropped them pretty quickly. I second the recommendation to drink lots of water. And HAVE FUN!!

Dawn, your militance is what got you to the finish line so fast. That was great, because now you can relax a lot.

I lose slow because I make a lot of exceptions. Sometimes I'm really glad that I do--they are events that would be ruined for me if dieting. I don't regret being not-strict at those truly special events. I get furious with myself, however, for not being strict on a wednesday night and Chinese takeout sounds better than cooking...