Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #151
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
That sounds a little too hard core, lol. Seems like standing all day wouldn't be good for varicose veins and such... I remember when Dan Rather started doing the news standing, because he had heard about the benefits.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #152
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Well it works for her. She is in her fifties and the size of a toothpick. I couldn't stand all day, but I think she is more comfortable standing... what ever works I guess. I could not type, make calls, etc., walking on a treadmill. I'd look rediculous in my heels
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
I am really thinking about trying this. We have a casual office so unless I am seeing clients I am usually in jeans or slacks anyway. The reviews I have read say that a slow pace of about 2 -3 mph allows you to read or work and if you only do it an hour or so in the morning and again in the afternoon you effortlessly add 5 -6 miles to each work day. Lots of reviewers also claimed they were more sharp and creative with the blood flowing too. The cost is steep though so would love personal recommendations if you have them Carly or anyone else.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #154
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingJudd View Post
I am really thinking about trying this. We have a casual office so unless I am seeing clients I am usually in jeans or slacks anyway. The reviews I have read say that a slow pace of about 2 -3 mph allows you to read or work and if you only do it an hour or so in the morning and again in the afternoon you effortlessly add 5 -6 miles to each work day. Lots of reviewers also claimed they were more sharp and creative with the blood flowing too. The cost is steep though so would love personal recommendations if you have them Carly or anyone else.
I can ask about the standing desk, but have no knowledge of the treadmill desk. I sometimes get startled when the phone rings if I'm really in the zone with something. I'd be afraid I would stop walking or trip or something on the treadmill desk.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Trying-

Another option, and much cheaper, would be a stationary bike. It's not like you need a fancy one with digital everything, just an old school plain version. New, they're like a hundred dollars. It would be a smaller investment, to see if you even like the concept. There's the regular kind and recumbent, though that (the recumbent) might be weird because you're almost sitting on the ground.

Just a thought...I'd hate for you to pay hundreds of dollars for a treadmill set up if you don't like it. It's not for everyone.

Another idea might be those little peddle thingies that you could put under your desk in front of your regular chair, and peddle away.

I agree about the better mental focus it gives, but some people respond the other way (too distracting).

Good luck!
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
There's an inteersting book, called, 'Sitting Kills' written by a lady who worked for NASA on the physical effects of weightlessness (among other things). She found that standing up and moving around for 2 minutes every half hour, can counter the metabolic effects that sitting has on your body. A good read.

I have changed my home computer to a stand up station, and really like it. And when i am watching tv, I make a point to get up and move around halfway through. At first it was irksome- now I look forward to it.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #157
Big Yapper!!!!

I do get up a lot at work and move around. Plus I try to take the stairs...should try to do this twice a day every day. I don't have to go upstairs every day, but could just for the benefits.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
hmmm, and hmmmm. good info here! I asked my boss if I could get a standing up desk at work, he said he thought it would"look" weird lol.
I'm tired of sitting down all day. I sometimes wish my job was as part of a construction crew, or lawn care or something. If my job could be outside all day in the srping I would be in Heaven
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
I asked my boss if I could get a standing up desk at work, he said he thought it would"look" weird lol.
Maybe you could print out one of the great infographics about how bad sitting is for you, and how good standing is for work productivity, and put it up by your desk. Just to get him thinking.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
I posted this in the daily weigh thread as well but thought I would check in with the slow pokes who have been so helpful! I had a nice drop today - yah! I also did some detective work and the month I had great losses (Sept) had no other changes EXCEPT I had quite a few MDs thrown in there. Going to go with that theory for now and will test out a DD-MD-UD rotation for a few weeks and see if I can get some scale momentum. Wish me luck!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #161
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I posted this in the daily weigh thread as well but thought I would check in with the slow pokes who have been so helpful! I had a nice drop today - yah! I also did some detective work and the month I had great losses (Sept) had no other changes EXCEPT I had quite a few MDs thrown in there. Going to go with that theory for now and will test out a DD-MD-UD rotation for a few weeks and see if I can get some scale momentum. Wish me luck!
Good luck! I really hope that helps!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 AM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
Maybe you could print out one of the great infographics about how bad sitting is for you, and how good standing is for work productivity, and put it up by your desk. Just to get him thinking.
I could try...I honestly don't think he cares that much lol. We have an empty office and we are trying to think of a way to ask him to put a treadmill in there. I honestly don't think either will happen in a million years lol.
Quote:
Good luck!! Hope it works! I am changing mine up a little too. Seems like I lost a little better when I eat several times throughout the day on DDs.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #163
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Who woulda thunk it?!! You might be the first to actually say MDs HELP with weight loss!!! This might start a revolution. Shhhhhhh
Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
TJ, I really hope you're onto something this time!

Re being less sedentary: If you drink plenty of water, you'll get plenty of "reminders" to move about. Cheaper than a treadmill too!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
I've enjoyed reading ya'll's thread. I'm in maintenance but have experienced being both a fast loser a few years back, and a slow loser last year when I was getting back to goal again. I think there are just SO many variables. For me some variables were starting to exercise more, and getting close to a long-time maintenance level. I used to describe it as being pulled into a gravitational field that didn't want to let me go!

Just wanted to reassure that I've always used an MD per weekend, like Dr. Johnson suggests near the end of his book. I've never felt that it did me any harm at all, and if anything kept me on track better, and more ready to have good rotations the next week, with "fresh start" feelings. I even think that it's more natural to have less predictability, as we consider eating in the way distant ancestors would have. (Well, even recent ancestors during the depression, or any "hard times", which has always been a norm, really.)

So interesting about the "sitting" chat. Hmmm... ...

TryingJudd, oh, stress is so unpredictable. When my mother died I was at a low weight because stress of caring for her had kept me from remembering to eat, but other times stress (which seemed just as debilitating) made me forget that I HAD eaten, and also caused absentminded eating, lying awake without restful sleep, and (what may have been the worst) forgetting to drink enough water.

Sweetening stuff - I use the packets of stevia (I use truvia brand) and like them fine. None of the aftertaste of liquid stevia, IMO. I remain disappointed that soft-drink choices with stevia are not a little better by now, but really they're not so bad. Zevia can be found at most groceries I frequent now, and I've learned to like a couple of those pretty well. I find that they are close enough to the mouth-feel (and maybe the can's hand-feel!) I'm looking for that I'm content.

Great good luck to all Slow Pokes!

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
I've enjoyed reading ya'll's thread. I'm in maintenance but have experienced being both a fast loser a few years back, and a slow loser last year when I was getting back to goal again. I think there are just SO many variables. For me some variables were starting to exercise more, and getting close to a long-time maintenance level. I used to describe it as being pulled into a gravitational field that didn't want to let me go!

Just wanted to reassure that I've always used an MD per weekend, like Dr. Johnson suggests near the end of his book. I've never felt that it did me any harm at all, and if anything kept me on track better, and more ready to have good rotations the next week, with "fresh start" feelings. I even think that it's more natural to have less predictability, as we consider eating in the way distant ancestors would have. (Well, even recent ancestors during the depression, or any "hard times", which has always been a norm, really.)

So interesting about the "sitting" chat. Hmmm... ...

TryingJudd, oh, stress is so unpredictable. When my mother died I was at a low weight because stress of caring for her had kept me from remembering to eat, but other times stress (which seemed just as debilitating) made me forget that I HAD eaten, and also caused absentminded eating, lying awake without restful sleep, and (what may have been the worst) forgetting to drink enough water.

Sweetening stuff - I use the packets of stevia (I use truvia brand) and like them fine. None of the aftertaste of liquid stevia, IMO. I remain disappointed that soft-drink choices with stevia are not a little better by now, but really they're not so bad. Zevia can be found at most groceries I frequent now, and I've learned to like a couple of those pretty well. I find that they are close enough to the mouth-feel (and maybe the can's hand-feel!) I'm looking for that I'm content.

Great good luck to all Slow Pokes!
Hmmm, Whitlin I'm guessing you might be from my neck of the woods? Just noticed you said "Ya'll" and also noticed you are somewhere's down south. lol
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
Beverly, that was neighborly of you to notice my respectful first sentence. I'm probably right over the Ridge from you, down out of the fog, maybe half-way to Old Man Kelsey's ocean. So, I'm waving west/northwest to you this morning.

I often do look back after typing "ya'll" and think to myself that everybody doesn't talk like that. But the intent of the word is always so inclusive and cordial, that I could not bear to delete it.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #168
Big Yapper!!!!

I didn't even notice the ya'll. Just a part of speech down here.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #169
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
Beverly, that was neighborly of you to notice my respectful first sentence. I'm probably right over the Ridge from you, down out of the fog, maybe half-way to Old Man Kelsey's ocean. So, I'm waving west/northwest to you this morning.

I often do look back after typing "ya'll" and think to myself that everybody doesn't talk like that. But the intent of the word is always so inclusive and cordial, that I could not bear to delete it.
I love it! It's our trademark isn't it! We are in for some bad storms today! Batten down ye hatches! lol
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

My dogs are loving JUDDD, on their Up Days at least. One of them needs to lose weight, so I am cutting her two-day average down a bit, but the other two just the same amounts, divided differently. Having three meals on their Up Days is their idea of heaven. I'm sure they think I've lost my mind. For Down Days, I am adding broth to their smaller meals, to give them some 'bulk'.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Ok, slow pokes. It took me 5 days to get back to my 237.4 number, which isn't my lowest.
sigh.
And I'm headed back to CA for the week starting tomorrow.

I have what I think is a good plan, I just really REALLY need to stick to it and not let any kind of vacation mentality creep in.

Sunday: Up Day. My plan is to grab a salad at the airport, then try to make it to dinner. Might either cook my own (my hotel room has a kitchen) OR, maybe, sushi. I tend to go nuts with sushi, so making my own dinner would be the smart way to go.
Maybe a nice steak and some sort of side.

Monday: Down Day-- lemon water (I'll bring my water bottles) and maybe a V8 at lunch when the students are eating.
D: planning a version of what I'd eat here-- pre-cooked chicken strips, maybe salsa, steam-in-bag broccoli, ff greek yogurt

Tuesday-- UD - no breakfast. Eat lunch with the students, or at the cafe with a colleague.
D: team dinner out at a Filipino/Asian Fusion restaurant. Eat what I want, do go nuts on carbs.

Wednesday: DD -- carbon copy of Monday.

Thursday: UD - skip breakfast. Lunch with students or at cafe.
Dinner is the group dinner with the students and an Executive from our department. If we stick with the same restaurant we've been using all year, I know I can have a nice small salad, flank steak/asparagus/mashed potatoes and either berries in sabayon or chocolate pot de creme.

Friday: DD and traveling. This is the tough one. But if I go w/out food, maybe a v8 before I get to the airport, then I can grab a simple salad, have that on the plane, arrive at 11:30pm, and go to bed.

Sorry to bore everyone with my plan, but I've been thinking about it and really needed to write it down.

Next step- accountability to above plan!

ttyl!
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
Great plan, Soren!!! Never think it is boring--- far from it, my friend. It is inspiring to see you work JUDDD rotations effectively while away from home working. Plus I really enjoy your menu's. Great job! I hope your flights are good and the work week is fun!

Kimmie
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Kimmie

Are you native to Atlanta? I lived there a few years when I was a kid.... Sandy springs/dunwoody area
Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
I'm joining the slowpokes! For inspiration, Aesop's fable "The Tortoise and the Hare":

There once was a speedy hare who bragged about how fast he could run. Tired of hearing him boast, Slow and Steady, the tortoise, challenged him to a race. All the animals in the forest gathered to watch.

Hare ran down the road for a while and then and paused to rest. He looked back at Slow and Steady and cried out, "How do you expect to win this race when you are walking along at your slow, slow pace?"

Hare stretched himself out alongside the road and fell asleep, thinking, "There is plenty of time to relax."

Slow and Steady walked and walked. He never, ever stopped until he came to the finish line.

The animals who were watching cheered so loudly for Tortoise, they woke up Hare.

Hare stretched and yawned and began to run again, but it was too late. Tortoise was over the line.

After that, Hare always reminded himself, "Don't brag about your lightning pace, for Slow and Steady won the race!"
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #175
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 04-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #176
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Soren I think your plan sounds brilliant. I know it is important to you to get your travel to work within JUDDD so that you don't sabotage yourself. We are here for you remember.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Soren, you've planned a wonderful week ahead. It looks like you're going to enjoy your food and some JUDDD calm as well!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #178
Big Yapper!!!!

Chris- thanks for posting that!
Soren- you are going to rock your plan. Bring some true lemon, lime or orange. I love that stuff and it helps me drink tons of water!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Thinking more about "Tortoise and the Hare" ... I have been both. The hare is me on a quick weight loss plan . . . that I can't sustain. So I burn out, "take a nap" (get off track) and wind up gaining and losing the race. I've lost and regained 30 or so pounds so many times! Something that I can sustain, even if I'm going more slowly, will be much more likely to get me to goal. And JUDDD is so very sustainable and forgiving and lovely. I'm at 9 months and going strong! That is a long time for me. So, I'm just going to be thrilled that I've lost a good chunk and that am not gaining any of it back even if the losing has started to take longer than I'd like.

(Although, I AM soooo eager to get into the petite sizes and they are in sight!!!)

Last edited by calichris; 04-14-2013 at 09:07 AM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #180
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Thinking more about "Tortoise and the Hare" ... I have been both. The hare is me on a quick weight loss plan . . . that I can't sustain. So I burn out, "take a nap" (get off track) and wind up gaining and losing the race. I've lost and regained 30 or so pounds so many times! Something that I can sustain, even if I'm going more slowly, will be much more likely to get me to goal. And JUDDD is so very sustainable and forgiving and lovely. I'm at 9 months and going strong! That is a long time for me. So, I'm just going to be thrilled that I've lost a good chunk and that am not gaining any of it back even if the losing has started to take longer than I'd like.

(Although, I AM soooo eager to get into the petite sizes and they are in sight!!!)
You will have a blast!!!!!
I was able to find cute petites at Kohl's in 16P and 14P last summer when I was in that size. The good and bad is I hardly got to wear them at all. Some of the capri's I wore only 3x before I shrunk out of them.