Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Hmmm. Interesting idea Adi. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies and homemade meals but I also eat crap - diet sodas and frozen diet meals and replacement bars. Maybe my body doesn't like the crap?

I also wonder if stress could play a role. Lots of stress these days both at work and home. Trying to get my sleep and exercise to help manage that but could that be shutting down my losses? Of course dieting with no results is adding big time to my stress.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #122
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I only glanced at the responses, as I'm in the middle of something, but wanted to ask if you're following the calories given to you by the calculator, or did you lower them?

I eat out almost every meal, so I'm going to have to have a difference of opinion with the others. I don't see how that could be your problem.

ETA: I just saw your response re: stress. Stress will absolutely stall weight loss.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #123

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
The things that jumped out at me are:

1. Stress levels
2. Diet sodas
3. Meal replacement shakes/bars

I found that #s 2 & 3 made me stall years ago doing LC. This time around, it's rare for me to have shakes/bars, and only occasionally the soda.

Poor TJ, we're just bombarding you with things to try. You must be overwhelmed. We really, really REALLY want you to succeed here!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #124
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingJudd View Post
My DDs usually are between 250 and 400 (20%) and UDs 1800 or so but occasionally more. I eat out dinner maybe once or twice a week on an UD but (like Carly) if I know I am dining out I tend to fast or keep cals very low during the day. When I eat out I like to have a glass of wine but I count the calories. So - dinner out 2x a week, alcohol the same. I bring lunch most days or if I do grab something I try for prepackaged stuff or fast food (like Wendy's chili) so I know what the counts are. Could 2 dinners (counting the calories conservatively)out a week be the difference between losing and not losing?

(and you guys are the best!)
No, I doubt 2 meals out a week would make that big a difference especially if you are fasting before or eating low cal. A couple glasses of wine a week shouldn't be a problem if you are counting the calories either. I don't drink, but plenty of buds do and I don't think it has hurt their losses much. I know the places I like to eat like Indian, Thia, Korean and especially Mexican (none of which post calories) are very high!!!! This I try to limit to 2x per month. Trying, I have no idea what could be going on...
I know you are really trying- I'm sending thoughts of the whoosh fair for you.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #125
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
The only other thing I can say, because it applies to me as well, is be honest with yourself too. I know I go over my UD calories more than once a week. I'm not even sure how often because sometimes I quit counting. What seems to work for the other buds who like to eat a lot on UDs (judging by what they've said and their stats) is extremely low DDs, like under 300 consistently. I haven't done that, but I know my losses would be greater if I did. Just something to think about anyway.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:20 AM   #126
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
The only other thing I can say, because it applies to me as well, is be honest with yourself too. I know I go over my UD calories more than once a week. I'm not even sure how often because sometimes I quit counting. What seems to work for the other buds who like to eat a lot on UDs (judging by what they've said and their stats) is extremely low DDs, like under 300 consistently. I haven't done that, but I know my losses would be greater if I did. Just something to think about anyway.
Cindy that is really good knowledge for you to hold onto. If the frustration of slower losses out weighs the enjoyment of higher UDs, you know what you need to do... either reign in those UDs or lower those DDs. There isn't anything wrong with slower losses if you are OK with that, but if it's frustrating (and I know I would have been) challenge yourself to 2 full weeks of strict adherance to your numbers and see if your loss rate picks up. It may not, but it may. If it turns out to be a miserable experience just go back to what you were doing. Nothing to lose, right?
Old 04-05-2013, 04:29 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
TryingJudd- are you still doing low carb with the JUDDD? Maybe even with lower calories, your insulin response is preventing fat release.

Also, I think you may be right, wondering if your body doesn't like the 'junk'. It is hard enough to know what natural substances do to our insides. Adding man-made ones to the mix may be the problem.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
How active are you throughout the entire day? I don't mean purposeful exercise, but how you spend the majority of your hours? Sedentary or active?
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Quote:
Hmmm. Interesting idea Adi. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies and homemade meals but I also eat crap - diet sodas and frozen diet meals and replacement bars. Maybe my body doesn't like the crap?

I also wonder if stress could play a role. Lots of stress these days both at work and home. Trying to get my sleep and exercise to help manage that but could that be shutting down my losses? Of course dieting with no results is adding big time to my stress.
TJ, I was just about to ask if you drink diet sodas and you posted that you do!
That would be the first thing I'd cut out. I understand that artificial sweeteners can cause weight gain because they trigger an insulin response.

Have you seen the thread about lemon water? Seems to be helping several JBs.
Chamomile tea is great if you're stressed!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you everyone for the great responses.

I do drink diet soda every day. That may be the hardest for me to give up. I did give it up for a period of about 3 weeks a couple of months ago and saw no difference in losses (or in my case, no losses).

I try to be honest with myself. Who would I be hurting but myself??? I def struggle with UDs on occasion but not usually. The spread between DD and UD is still large and my average calories should be providing a good loss unless the laws of physics no longer apply to me. I will go back and check the JUDDD calendar again but since my losses have been nil I don't know why they would have changed. Last time I checked I was at 380/1830 at 20%. But I will double check to make sure I didn't mess it up somehow.

I am not active during the day. Desk job - on the computer or in meetings all day. I do try and get regular exercise. Some weeks and months are better than others in that regard. I had a mild muscle strain that curtailed much of my regular exercise in most of Q1 but I am back at it now and it is making no difference.

No sure what to do about stress. Getting some results on this diet would help big time!

You all have given me lots of things to think about. I really appreciate it. I am going away for the weekend and will try and formulate a plan. I am thinking I may have to go LC and then maybe come back to JUDDD for maintenance if I ever get there. I hate the prospect but I can't continue this insanity.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

TJ, I'm sure you'll find a solution soon.

If it's any consolation, I'm about as sedentary as it's possible to be, so exercise isn't essential for weight loss.

Do have a lovely weekend!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I agree ^^^ I am focussing on getting to onederland before I consider exercise, which ALWAYS stalls me. AL-WAYS

I said this on another thread, but LC and JUDDD aren't mutually exclusive and I think you could bump your UD calories, keep your DD at 400... I think the split between them is the key to triggering the SIRT response, which is what this whole thing is based on.

whatever you do, we you!

S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #133

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I love seeing you all rally around TJ like this. What a wonderful group of people we have here.

And you are one of them TJ. Enjoy your weekend, do some thinking but whatever you decide, you have to keep on posting here with all of your JBs. And Soren is so right, LC and JUDDD are totally compatible.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks (again) everyone. I double checked the calculator and I did have the wrong numbers. I have been shooting for 380/1830 and the calculator now says 356/1778. I use the no exercise option though and I burn off 1000-1500 calories a week so I don't think that difference is what is stalling me. Still searching but I like the idea of increasing the spread. I might try that- if nothing else I get to eat more- but do it LC trying the 400/2000 that Soren noted. I SHOULD lose on 1200 cals avg LC, right? Maybe reserving one day a week for carbs??? IDK...
Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #135

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I'd be wary of the carb day. It would have thrown me totally out of ketosis if I were eating LC the rest of the time. And the water gain might look dreadful...
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

I understand about exercising causing stalls. I don't really feel exercise is a huge contributor to weight loss anyway. It's just good for your body.

What I was talking about was how you spend the bulk of your time....ie desk job or waiting tables at a busy restaurant? truck driver or stocking shelves at a busy market? cabbie or farmer? that kind of thing. And what your hobbies are....knitting or rock climbing? playing canasta or hiking with your dog? These everyday activities affect your calorie needs more than a bit of exercise.

Trying---I hope you find what works! You're clearly putting your "all" into it
Old 04-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #137
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:

Diet soda didn't seem to hurt me since I lost all of my weight drinking them and since I quit them I haven't had any massive weight loss.

But the diet meals and replacement bars could be a problem.

And everything I have read says that stress can stop weight loss dead in it's tracks. So can too much exercise according to a bunch of different diet authors. Gosh this weight loss thing can be so complicated.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #138
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thanks (again) everyone. I double checked the calculator and I did have the wrong numbers. I have been shooting for 380/1830 and the calculator now says 356/1778. I use the no exercise option though and I burn off 1000-1500 calories a week so I don't think that difference is what is stalling me. Still searching but I like the idea of increasing the spread. I might try that- if nothing else I get to eat more- but do it LC trying the 400/2000 that Soren noted. I SHOULD lose on 1200 cals avg LC, right? Maybe reserving one day a week for carbs??? IDK...
Can you try those numbers for 2 weeks and see? I agree that the spread is really important so even 300/1800 for 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I'd be wary of the carb day. It would have thrown me totally out of ketosis if I were eating LC the rest of the time. And the water gain might look dreadful...
I agree with Cindy- the water bounce may not be worth it.

On a side note I laughed at your use of Q1. For my job I am very aware of the quarters and that we just started the 2nd Q this week. I'm not used to seeing it on here so I chuckled
Old 04-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
I understand about exercising causing stalls. I don't really feel exercise is a huge contributor to weight loss anyway. It's just good for your body.

What I was talking about was how you spend the bulk of your time....ie desk job or waiting tables at a busy restaurant? truck driver or stocking shelves at a busy market? cabbie or farmer? that kind of thing. And what your hobbies are....knitting or rock climbing? playing canasta or hiking with your dog? These everyday activities affect your calorie needs more than a bit of exercise.

I hear ya. Being 'sedentary' might not be good for WL. I have a desk job, then come home, and besides housework, I sit around some more. But, when I do walk, I do find I get rewarded on the scale. Also, now that spring is here, maybe yard work will help.
Hope you figure this thing out TJ.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #140
Big Yapper!!!!

I am one that had a BIG spread because I did super low DD's and mostly UUAD's and still lost. I can still maintain with the low DD which seems to offset my UUAD's which I have NEVER BEEN ABLE TO GET UNDER CONTROL.
But I am active after I get home from work. I have to feed, milk and bottle feed a lot of goats and they don't want to wait. They start screaming when I get out of the car. But no formal exercise yet. I keep procrastinating about that.

BUT I really eat very little if any processed foods on UD's. Outside of yogurt which I cannot control portion sizes, it is food I have to cook. I am having recurring migraines and I wonder if the increased use of Splenda for coffee and tea (since I quit diet Coke) has anything to do with it. I noticed I have quit drinking as much water and more flavored teas.

This maintenance thing is as hard as the weight loss part.

I did have one month where I lost NOTHING. Wonder if that month was very stressful??
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
Old 04-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Adi, could the migraines be withdrawal symptoms from the Coke? Detoxing can cause ferocious symptoms.

I thought you should know this about sucralose:

Sucralose: Safety Concerns

Few human studies of safety have been published on sucralose. One small study of diabetic patients using the sweetener showed a statistically significant increase in glycosylated hemoglobin (Hba1C), which is a marker of long-term blood glucose levels and is used to assess glycemic control in diabetic patients. According to the FDA, "increases in glycosolation in hemoglobin imply lessening of control of diabetes.

Research in animals has shown that sucralose can cause many problems in rats, mice, and rabbits, such as:

Shrunken thymus glands (up to 40% shrinkage)
Enlarged liver and kidneys.
Atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus
Increased cecal weight
Reduced growth rate
Decreased red blood cell count
Hyperplasia of the pelvis
Extension of the pregnancy period
Aborted pregnancy
Decreased fetal body weights and placental weights
Diarrhea
According to one source (Sucralose Toxicity Information Center), concerning the significant reduction in size of the thymus gland, "the manufacturer claimed that the sucralose was unpleasant for the rodents to eat in large doses and that starvation caused the shrunken thymus glands."

Hmmmm!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post

Thanks again everyone. Tofucheez I have a desk job, very stressful. I work a lot - probably 80 hrs a week and then workout at my home when I can find time. But during the day unless I am traveling I am on the computer or in meetings so not burning a lot of calories naturally- unless stress counts LOL. I have actually been intrigued by the standing desks and treadmill desks for my new office. Has anyone tried to work while walking?
Old 04-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Yes, TJ, me!!! I did almost ALL of my grad school work on the treadmill. I would log hours a day and didn't even notice it because my brain was so preoccupied
Old 04-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #144
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Adi, could the migraines be withdrawal symptoms from the Coke? Detoxing can cause ferocious symptoms.

I thought you should know this about sucralose:

Sucralose: Safety Concerns

Few human studies of safety have been published on sucralose. One small study of diabetic patients using the sweetener showed a statistically significant increase in glycosylated hemoglobin (Hba1C), which is a marker of long-term blood glucose levels and is used to assess glycemic control in diabetic patients. According to the FDA, "increases in glycosolation in hemoglobin imply lessening of control of diabetes.

Research in animals has shown that sucralose can cause many problems in rats, mice, and rabbits, such as:

Shrunken thymus glands (up to 40% shrinkage)
Enlarged liver and kidneys.
Atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus
Increased cecal weight
Reduced growth rate
Decreased red blood cell count
Hyperplasia of the pelvis
Extension of the pregnancy period
Aborted pregnancy
Decreased fetal body weights and placental weights
Diarrhea
According to one source (Sucralose Toxicity Information Center), concerning the significant reduction in size of the thymus gland, "the manufacturer claimed that the sucralose was unpleasant for the rodents to eat in large doses and that starvation caused the shrunken thymus glands."

Hmmmm!
I read Dr. Mercola's blog this week and he had the symptoms of sucralose as dizziness, migraines and seizures. Sure have had the dizzyness and migraines but no seizures yet. Sure made me stop and reassess my Splenda usage. Never had issues with aspartame. Might need to find me a different sweetener. Too bad I think Stevia tastes bitter no matter how little I use.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

I only ever use sugar as sweetener. Shop-bought stuff with artificial sweeteners I find far too sweet and it always leaves a yukky aftertaste.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #146
Big Yapper!!!!

Real sugar is my trigger to inhale everything I can find. So I try to find subs but not ones that are going to kill me. Might just have to go cold turkey and quit EVERYTHING with a sweet taste. Whine, whine, whine.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: 196/?(not looking for a while)/150
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
Just out of curiosity, are you all just looking at the scale for losses or do you do measurements too? I have no explanation for it but my scale has shown pretty small losses in pounds but I know I have lost inches. My clothes fit better, I can see it on myself and I can definitely feel it. Maybe try doing measurements as well?

And in case anyone is about to ask - I am exercising SOME but certainly not enough in my mind to make that much of a difference (walking, taking the stairs when I can and started the couch to 5K running - I am up to a whole 90 seconds of running LOL!!).
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Hmmm - Tofucheez was it a special treadmill desk or did you just read on the treadmill? I am looking at the treadmill desks and would love any feedback on brands, etc if you used them.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #149
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I'm still drinking my diet soda. I can wipe out all the pregnancy concerns because well, I'm not nor ever going to be pregnant. I will be mindful, I guess, of the rest.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #150
Big Yapper!!!!

The Executive Director of my job has a standing desk. She has no chair period. She just stands at her desk and works away. She sits in some meetings, but often stands during meetings too. I will ask her if she knows the brand of desk, but the agency probably bought it so she may not.