Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
It's absolutely related to height. You're 7 inches shorter than I am, but still have a 35 pound range.

As an adult, I've been as low as 106 pounds and as high as almost 300 pounds. In my early 20's I felt good at around 130. Now, at 40, I just don't think I'd look good under 150, though it's been so long since I've been there that I'm not sure. Plus, with my extra skin (gross!) around my midsection, I don't want to worry too much about the numbers either. I'm trying to remind myself that I'll never have that toned body I had before I got pregnant, and before I got fat. It's just NOT going to happen.
Yeah I'm about 5'7 and when I was in my 20's I weighed 140 and it was perfect for me. But I think I had more muscle because everyone would look at me and thought I weighed 120.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Well I tried the calculator and it said I had a BMI of 0.4!!!!!
LOL! Yeah when I first did it it said "you are severely underweight"
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
I still use the old-fashioned 100 lbs + 5 lbs for each inch of height over 5', plus or minus 10% for frame size and musculature. I'm 5'8", so that's 140, with a range of 126-154. I vaguely remember being at 140 (in high school, and thinking I was FAT!) but have no concept of what 154 would look like on me. I'm thinking I'd be smoking hot!
I like that, that would put me at 135 as my goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Love that! And, since it's Easter, I can apply this! I read an article about cooking hard boiled eggs, and how many of us cook them too quickly, and it gives the dreaded GREY YOLK and the tough, rubbery white. If you start with the eggs in the cold water, then when it just begins to bubble turn off the heat, cover, and let sit in the hot water for 10 minutes, the yolks and the whites will be perfect. I tried it, and it works! Delicious Easter eggs! . . . slightly off topic, but as many of us enjoy hard boiled eggs on DDs, I thought I would mention it as an example of your excellent point.
Yes I like that! Easter eggs is a perfect comparison!

Last edited by ~PaperMoon~; 03-31-2013 at 07:38 PM..
Old 04-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I'm sorry you're feeling bummed Nilla. That is frustrating, to be working so hard and not getting any reward. I think your idea is a good one, to revisit what you were doing when it was working for you. Here's hoping you'll get it figured out and start shedding those pounds again!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingJudd View Post
Sorry Vanilla, librarygirl, all the turtles. I know this sucks. I am exactly where I ended in Jan and in Feb and now in March too. Unless something miraculous happens in the next 4 days I will have run in place for 3 months yet again. 3 months of work for nothing. No NSVs. No size changes. 3 months closer to summer and nothing to show for it. Ugh. I am with all you turtles --- bummed and hoping, wishing for an answer. I am afraid to even think it but I think for me it might be LC Juddding which sort of defeats the purpose and the appeal but dieting without results is also unappealing. I am trying to talk myself into a LC JUDDD April to get some results. Anyone want to try with me?
I keep saying I'm going to get to lower carb eating as I was doing that last year when I was losing. But, I'd lost a few years ago not low carbing and was losing. I have begun cutting out some of the higher carb/processed stuff I'd been eating and hope to make it back to lower carb.

I've been MIA, taking the long weekend to re-analyze things. I've even gone over all this with my DH and he is as baffled as I am and he sees what I eat! I went back to the beginning of this forum and found some mixing WW and JUDDD, which is what I'd thought about doing a while back. So, I'm going to give that a try and see what happens.

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/171/140, 5'4", 61yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Chris: Thank you so much for inadvertently sharing "how to boil an egg", I never knew and used to end up with either half boiled or Grey Yolk kind of egg!
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #95
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I boil my eggs that way too, only I leave them for 15 minutes. Always perfect. Remember to stop the cooking process immediately at 10-15 minutes by pouring out the hot water and pouring cold water on the eggs (add ice cubes if possible).
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/171/140, 5'4", 61yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I boil my eggs that way too, only I leave them for 15 minutes. Always perfect. Remember to stop the cooking process immediately at 10-15 minutes by pouring out the hot water and pouring cold water on the eggs (add ice cubes if possible).
Thanks for the tip! Here I am, 60 years old and now learning to boil an egg!
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #97
Big Yapper!!!!

Haha! I read this on a Rachel Ray blog a few years ago, so it took me some time too.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #98
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Yokochick
Stats: 5'3" Start: 190/Current: 155/ Goal:110
Start Date: Start: 3/16/2013 Restart Date: 5/5/2013
Oooo adding baking soda to the water makes the egg easier to peel too. Love that trick.

I only lost maybe one pound since I started two weeks ago. I'm not claiming that pound until the scale stops bouncing lol. I'm just disappointed that I haven't gotten anything amazing beginner scale movement yet. My body seems to be going along with my food choices though because I have a NSV or two under my belt but the scale won't cooperate (meanie). I was thinking of trying the potato diet once I got a month of JUDDDing down because I'd like to be less than 150 lbs for more than a day *grumble grumble* Okay. I think I'm done complaining for now lol
Yokochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdforshort View Post
Chris: Thank you so much for inadvertently sharing "how to boil an egg", I never knew and used to end up with either half boiled or Grey Yolk kind of egg!
I was excited to discover this method just this year! 15 minutes might be even better as the yolks were a bit "medium rare" (but delicious and yellow!) I haven't tried the baking soda, but will do next time.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #100
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I've tried the baking soda trick and my eggs are still always hard to peel. How much do you use?
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #101
Big Yapper!!!!

I always heard to add salt to make them easier to peel...doesn't really seem to help that much. The easiest eggs to peel are ones that are older. The last ones I boiled were so hard to peel, part of the egg went with the peels.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #102
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Yokochick
Stats: 5'3" Start: 190/Current: 155/ Goal:110
Start Date: Start: 3/16/2013 Restart Date: 5/5/2013
I use a heaping teaspoon of it. I tried the salt trick but that didn't do too much either. I also use older eggs and do the cold water step too so that could contribute some. Hmmm, an egg deshelling experiment should be done, accounting for all variables to get to the bottom of this.
Yokochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
I have found that steaming the eggs rather than boiling them results in shells that fall right off!

I put a steamer basket in a pan and put just enough water till it starts to come thru the holes in the basket. Put the eggs in and lid on and bring water to boil. When the water is boiling, turn down to simmer for 20 minutes(keep lid on). You just have to make sure you have enough water in the pan to last for 20 minutes of simmering. After 20 minutes, do cold water bath to stop the cooking process as usual. I've never had one, fresh or not, that the shell didn't come off easily!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #104
Big Yapper!!!!

Good tip, Lori!!! That's the way I'll do my boiled eggs next time.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_:) View Post
I have found that steaming the eggs rather than boiling them results in shells that fall right off!

I put a steamer basket in a pan and put just enough water till it starts to come thru the holes in the basket. Put the eggs in and lid on and bring water to boil. When the water is boiling, turn down to simmer for 20 minutes(keep lid on). You just have to make sure you have enough water in the pan to last for 20 minutes of simmering. After 20 minutes, do cold water bath to stop the cooking process as usual. I've never had one, fresh or not, that the shell didn't come off easily!
Cool sounds like a good tip.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #106
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
24 pounds in six months averages to almost a pound a week. Most of my weight loss, no matter how hard I worked, averaged a pound a week. You just keep adding it up, week by week, and pretty soon you start building something impressive!

Think about it. Those 24 pounds equals six bags of sugar. Imagine carrying around six sugar bags all day, how tired you would get. You've put those six bags of sugar down, and you're on your way to losing more.

I know you'd like to lose faster. Show me a person who wouldn't! I whined and complained plenty about the pace of my losses. It always seems like someone else is losing faster than you are. But your losses are at a reasonable, healthy pace and the more you keep at it, the longer you do it, the closer you get to your goal. You CAN do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmietoo View Post
Oh Cindy, how I can relate! I started off with a very nice loss my first month JUDDDing and have been frustrated at how slow things have been going for me since. While I've just passed my second month anniversary, I have only lost 5 pounds this second month and with as much as I have to lose, that seems to be a very small number to see. What I try to concentrate on are the non-weight related benefits of the WOL. For me, they are very significant and have become more important to me than the weight loss itself. We need to remember that JUDDD is not a quick loss plan like some of the other ones, but rather a lifestyle and way of living that is maintainable in perpetuity. I've spent so many years being the "heavy" girl that I try and remind myself that any progress, no matter how small it seems, is in fact, progress! I'm "thinner" now than I've been in quite a while, so does it matter that I don't lose it fast? Really, it doesn't; and that is easy to say but frustrating to live with. One thing that I need to do a better job on is to journal more and see where I can identify patterns more easily. It helps me to read the posts from our successful JB'S who are at maintenance and to look at their before and after pictures. I love to read their maintenance posts and look forward to one day joining in! I like to read Carly's "bounce" record. When you look at the losses and bounces day to day, they look frustrating, but when you look at the record as a whole, it's so impressive! It's also helpful to read Stephdray's weekly posts. If you haven't read them, go back over them. If you have, re-read them. Lot's of wonderful motivation there, and Steph is a slower loser like us, too. And don't forget.....your own tagline that I just LOVE and get motivation from "Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

We can and will do this! HUG HUG HUG

Kimmie
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepheka View Post
If you had gained 24 pounds in the last 6 months you would think that is a lot. I know that doesn't help, but it is the truth. Sometimes simply maintaining is winning! Anyhow, you don't realise how inspiring you are to people like me. I have been whining about my weight for the last 20 years, jumping from diet to diet. If I don't lose fast enough then it doesn't work! I have become a professional quitter. It just goes on and on! You have taken charge, you are winning! Your not beaten until you give up and you sure aren't giving up.
I was just reading through this thread again, and these three posts really stood out!!! How true and insightful. I have come down about 3 lbs since this thread was first posted, I think. Patience IS a virtue.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdforshort View Post
Thanks for the tip! Here I am, 60 years old and now learning to boil an egg!
I am the same! I also heard there was a way to cook eggs in the oven in a muffin tin, that way you could do 12 at a time, and they are supposed to be easier to peel. I have never tried it though.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
I was just reading through this thread again, and these three posts really stood out!!! How true and insightful...I have come down about 3 lbs since this thread was first posted...Patience IS a virtue.
Agreed on the helpfulness of the posts you highlighted. And your reflection has prompted me to remember that it probably took a year for me to gain 17lbs after abandoning JUDDD (so foolish of me) but I've evicted 16lbs in just over 3 months (courtesy of JUDDD, some stall-related desperation, a potato hack and the support of this board).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
I also heard there was a way to cook eggs in the oven in a muffin tin, that way you could do 12 at a time, and they are supposed to be easier to peel.
If I have a large number to do then I either steam them (as described above) or pressure cook them (details in several places but I like the discussion in Hip Pressure Cooking where she describes "5 ways to pressure cook eggs" including how to hard boil them so they're easy to peel).
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
I have come down about 3 lbs since this thread was first posted, I think. Patience IS a virtue.
This is great.

So often, as we look ahead, time seems so long. But looking backwards...it wasn't so long ago that you started this thread. And you weight IS down.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
joining in, will catch up more later... on reading the first page, I was going to say that too-- I'm averaging about 1lb per week too, which is cool with me. If it happened every week, it would be 50+lbs per year! Doctors ( ) suggest 2lbs a week at MOST, so I think if we can show a loss every week, that would be cool.

it's when you go through a whole month, and don't have anything to show for it at the end

sigh.

S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
I averaged about .7 pounds per week over the last 54 weeks. I have either 3 or 4 months with NO loss including the last couple of months. Ugh. I am DUE for a visit from the whoosh fairy darn it. OVERDUE!! I really don't know if patience is a virtue or if the old adage about insanity (insanity=doing the same thing but expecting different results) applies here. I am baffled. Tried tweaking many different ways. Not sure if I should just keep plugging away OR if that is truly insane???
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #112
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
I averaged about .7 pounds per week over the last 54 weeks. I have either 3 or 4 months with NO loss including the last couple of months. Ugh. I am DUE for a visit from the whoosh fairy darn it. OVERDUE!! I really don't know if patience is a virtue or if the old adage about insanity (insanity=doing the same thing but expecting different results) applies here. I am baffled. Tried tweaking many different ways. Not sure if I should just keep plugging away OR if that is truly insane???
Do you log everything on UD and DD? Do you use a food scale to weigh your portions? I just want to help you. I wish we could figure it out...
Do you drink alcohol? Do you think that may slow losses? IDK. Could it be a medication you take that makes it hard to lose? A lot of meds making losing and extra challenge... I know that one first hand.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Trying--are you really close to goal?
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Hi gang. Nope. I really do appreciate the help

Not near goal. I am 5'4" and 178 pounds. I should be about 135 so lots left to lose.

I log everything I eat in an app. I use a kitchen scale, measuring cups and spoons so I don't eyeball it unless I am out.

I am pretty good about exercising.

I do not take any meds except for an allergy pill. I do take vitamins and supplements.

The only things I can think of are:
I am going through peri menopause.
I eat out on a regular basis.
I have a drink or two a week probably but not every day.
Sometimes my UDs get away from me but my tracker still has my average calorie count at just about 1000 so it doesn't happen all the time. (hey, I'm human!)

I think it must be hormones but everything else in my body is fine except for my weight so I am hesitant to start monkeying around with hormones for that alone. Ideas are welcome. Help!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
The thing that jumps out at me is the eating out. Restaurants can be very heavy handed with oil and sugar.
For instance, I know a few JUDDers have mentioned going to Panda Express. The calorie counts are listed online. However, every Panda Express that I have personally been to apparently doesn't go "by the book," because even the dishes that are supposedly low fat are SWIMMING in oil. I'm not saying that the PEs that others have visited are like that, I'm just saying that you don't truly know what you are getting when you eat out, posted calorie counts or not. Heck, even if you order a plain baked potato, and you specify PLAIN, no butter/sour cream/whatever, the odds are that it was coated with oil before being baked. And many places make their oatmeal with milk, but don't list that on the menu either. You think, oh, just a plain bowl of oats, how virtuous....NOT! I've worked in a few restaurants to know this sort of thing is more the norm than the exception.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #116
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
The thing that jumps out at me is the eating out. Restaurants can be very heavy handed with oil and sugar.
For instance, I know a few JUDDers have mentioned going to Panda Express. The calorie counts are listed online. However, every Panda Express that I have personally been to apparently doesn't go "by the book," because even the dishes that are supposedly low fat are SWIMMING in oil. I'm not saying that the PEs that others have visited are like that, I'm just saying that you don't truly know what you are getting when you eat out, posted calorie counts or not. Heck, even if you order a plain baked potato, and you specify PLAIN, no butter/sour cream/whatever, the odds are that it was coated with oil before being baked. And many places make their oatmeal with milk, but don't list that on the menu either. You think, oh, just a plain bowl of oats, how virtuous....NOT! I've worked in a few restaurants to know this sort of thing is more the norm than the exception.
I have a feeling you are right. I don't know how standardized even chain restaurants are when it comes to preparation=corporates calorie counts. I think a lot of places add their "own special touch" but that doesn't mean it keeps with the posted calories. Also those cooks aren't weighing and measuring things so there is room for error. I definitely ate out during WLM, but I usually fated till dinner if eating out.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #117
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Hi gang. Nope. I really do appreciate the help

Not near goal. I am 5'4" and 178 pounds. I should be about 135 so lots left to lose.

I log everything I eat in an app. I use a kitchen scale, measuring cups and spoons so I don't eyeball it unless I am out.

I am pretty good about exercising.

I do not take any meds except for an allergy pill. I do take vitamins and supplements.

The only things I can think of are:
I am going through peri menopause.
I eat out on a regular basis.
I have a drink or two a week probably but not every day.
Sometimes my UDs get away from me but my tracker still has my average calorie count at just about 1000 so it doesn't happen all the time. (hey, I'm human!)

I think it must be hormones but everything else in my body is fine except for my weight so I am hesitant to start monkeying around with hormones for that alone. Ideas are welcome. Help!
How often do you eat out, and do you eat out on DDs? More than once a day on UDs? Do you drink alcohol on DDs? Are you eating at 20% on DDs?

I'm in perimenopause as well and my losses are slow too, but I've yet to have a month I didn't lose at all. I won't say it won't happen though. I believe you can turn things around if you can determine exactly what you might be doing that could be making you stall. Maybe try one week with one less meal out...small steps.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 04-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

My DDs usually are between 250 and 400 (20%) and UDs 1800 or so but occasionally more. I eat out dinner maybe once or twice a week on an UD but (like Carly) if I know I am dining out I tend to fast or keep cals very low during the day. When I eat out I like to have a glass of wine but I count the calories. So - dinner out 2x a week, alcohol the same. I bring lunch most days or if I do grab something I try for prepackaged stuff or fast food (like Wendy's chili) so I know what the counts are. Could 2 dinners (counting the calories conservatively)out a week be the difference between losing and not losing?

(and you guys are the best!)

Last edited by TryingJudd; 04-04-2013 at 06:44 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #119
Big Yapper!!!!

I can't see where you shouldn't be losing with these numbers. I'll let the experts take over on this.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #120
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
You mentioned pre-packaged food so you know the calorie count. I found that processed foods hurt my weight loss so I opted for making my own meals even to take to work. I have pretty much eliminated everything but whole fresh or frozen foods even on UD's and I rarely if ever eat out because I just don't like to anymore. My tastes have changed. Too many additives and unknowns in foods I don't prepare. Just a thought.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote