Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #31
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I upped my goal to 135 because it was easier to see 40 something lbs left than 50 something, lol. Maybe I'll up it to 145.

Adi, you are a stellar member of this forum and a perfect example of what JUDDD can do. I hope people tell me that one day as well.

Another thing that I will admit is that I feel like I have competition in a way now. It's silly, but one of my good friends at work just started dieting on Monday. She has dieted on and off since I've known her and she is very good at it. I suspect she'll pass me in two months or less, and here I have been plugging along for six months. Isn't that silly that I worry about that?

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I upped my goal to 135 because it was easier to see 40 something lbs left than 50 something, lol. Maybe I'll up it to 145.

Adi, you are a stellar member of this forum and a perfect example of what JUDDD can do. I hope people tell me that one day as well.

Another thing that I will admit is that I feel like I have competition in a way now. It's silly, but one of my good friends at work just started dieting on Monday. She has dieted on and off since I've known her and she is very good at it. I suspect she'll pass me in two months or less, and here I have been plugging along for six months. Isn't that silly that I worry about that?
I would try not to worry over it, but let it motivate you in a good way- can the 2 of you be diet buddies and encourage each other. I would have loved to have an IRL diet buddy at work! I have a coworker who is juddding now and I'm thrilled for her!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm very happy for her, and I have encouraged her to start JUDDDing with me. She chose to do a low-fat diet, which has always worked for her in the past. I have shared everything about my highs and lows since I've been dieting with her, including every lb lost. I asked her what she's lost since last Monday, and she said she didn't want to tell anyone until she felt like she'd gotten a good loss, lol. I *am* more open about everything that most people here, so anywho....The truth is, I'm not an experienced dieter. I never had to lose weight until I reached my late 30s and I just kept gaining, never lost more than about 12 lbs since all the weight came on. This is the longest I've ever dieted, and the most I've ever lost. Don't know where I'm going with this, really lol. Thanks for the encouragement, Carly. I don't know what I'd do without my JBs.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Apart from the increased chance of keeping the weight off, the main advantage to losing slowly is the skin thing. Since losing weight, I was getting a bit of a wattle under my chin. However, I noticed it's disappeared on its own this last couple of weeks. My weight has crept down very slowly and my skin has had time to adjust to fit.

Turtles rule - OK?!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Just found this. It's by Peter Voss in an article about CRON:

Over the longer term, the simplest way to judge calorie intake is weight. However, getting to the minimum, healthy weight should be done slowly - roughly no more than 2% per month for overweight people, 1% for others.

Wow, that's SLOW!!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Apart from the increased chance of keeping the weight off, the main advantage to losing slowly is the skin thing. Since losing weight, I was getting a bit of a wattle under my chin. However, I noticed it's disappeared on its own this last couple of weeks. My weight has crept down very slowly and my skin has had time to adjust to fit.

I hope this happens to me. I'm not sure I'd call mine a wattle (yet) but there's definitly some wrinkly, crepey skin under my chin that used to be so smooth (read fat).
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: krbuell
Stats: 5'4 1/2", SW: 188, CW: 157, GW: 125
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: April 2010
Ack, don't want to think about hangy, crepey skin. I've been lurking around the boards since last October, but just starting to post. I am a turtle. It took me 18 months to lose 50 pounds and it's now moving the wrong direction again, even though my eating hasn't really changed. I'm starting to get wrinkley, crepey skin around my eyes and sides of my mouth, and my face seems to "sag" since I've lost what I have so far. On the other hand, I'm grateful for no longer battling hypoglycemia and simply feeling better overall.
krbuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Flossyliz-quote...
Over the longer term, the simplest way to judge calorie intake is weight. However, getting to the minimum, healthy weight should be done slowly - roughly no more than 2% per month for overweight people, 1% for others.

isn't everyone trying to lose weight overweight?
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #39
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
Flossyliz-quote...

My "optimal" range according to BMI charts is 130-170. I'm about 160. I'm not overweight, but I might decide to lose another 10 or even more pounds at some point, so the answer to your question is a resounding no.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
My "optimal" range according to BMI charts is 130-170. I'm about 160. I'm not overweight, but I might decide to lose another 10 or even more pounds at some point, so the answer to your question is a resounding no.
Do you think your height is accounting for the 40# range? When I try for my height (5'2") my range is 101-136 pounds. I think I'd look like Skeletor if I weighed 101 pounds. First & foremost I want to be healthy and not get hung up on numbers but, boy it would be cool to be "normal".
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #41

It's absolutely related to height. You're 7 inches shorter than I am, but still have a 35 pound range.

As an adult, I've been as low as 106 pounds and as high as almost 300 pounds. In my early 20's I felt good at around 130. Now, at 40, I just don't think I'd look good under 150, though it's been so long since I've been there that I'm not sure. Plus, with my extra skin (gross!) around my midsection, I don't want to worry too much about the numbers either. I'm trying to remind myself that I'll never have that toned body I had before I got pregnant, and before I got fat. It's just NOT going to happen.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #42
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Flossyliz-quote...

I agree with Dawn on this since I am no onger overweight but still losing a few additional pounds. And I am right on target with the 1% loss rate so all is well. My skin had tightened up a lot but since I started losing again, it is getting saggy again but I know it will tighten some on its own eventually.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Make way for Queen Turtle. I'm so slow that as of today, I haven't lost anything in the almost 12 weeks I've been back to JUDDD. I confess that since Monday, I've been doing more of a WW thing, using a WW-like app to keep track of points. I didn't weigh Monday, but yesterday I was up 2 lbs. from Saturday's weight and another pound up from yesterday, putting me .5 under what I came back here at on January 2. WTHeck??? Talk about depressed.

I'm going to go back over the threads from last year when I'd begun losing (before my surgery) and make sure of what my DD calories were. I've become comfortable with 400 and less, but the ol' bod may do better at 500-525, which is what I'm thinking I did last year. But, I want to make sure.

I. Am. Bummed.

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It's absolutely related to height. You're 7 inches shorter than I am, but still have a 35 pound range.
I know they factor height into the BMI calculations. It just seems like whenever I look at the charts, there is a wider range for taller people vs shorter people. IE - more pounds in the spread from low to high end. Like the shorter you are, the tighter the range of ideal is. Am I making sense?

I guess I'm wondering why that would be the case. Short people can have just as much frame size variation as tall people. Clearly higher ideal weights for tall people are accounting for more bone, more muscle, etc but it seems like the range would be the same...maybe if I looked at the actual calculation it would make sense.

I'm pleased with my progress and I'm pleased my progress is starting to show physically. I'm just trying not to freak myself out mentally since I have NEVER been at what the BMIs consider "normal" in my whole adult life. When I was in school, eating healthy, going to the gym 4-6x/week I got down to 135-140 range. Best I've ever done. Was a size 6. Freaked out that I can't get back there, or past it.

Forgive me the thread jack, I guess I'm just over here having a moment. It will pass.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #45

I often hear shorter people say that 5 pounds looks like a lot more on their smaller body than it does on a taller person. I think if that's true, then it makes sense for you to have a slightly smaller range for ideal. It's less than one pound difference per inch of height if that makes it any better.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
There is a new calculation for the BMI which means that smaller people may find that they now have a slightly greater BMI and taller people a lower one.

Interactive calculator: do you win or lose with the new BMI? - Telegraph

If the link doesn't work it's the Trefethern formula.
Quote:
Nick Trefethen of Oxford University's Mathematical Institute has identified a flaw in the basic formula for BMI, and has created a new calculation which he says better accounts for the relationship between height and weight.
According to Mr Trefethen, the current formula to calculate the score (weight/height2) is incorrect because "it divides the weight by too large a number for short people, and too small a number for tall people. So short people are misled into thinking they are thinner than they are, and tall people are misled into thinking they are fatter than they are."
His new formula (1.3 x weight/height2.5) is a better approximation of reality, because it scales more accurately as a person grows in height.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
There is a new calculation for the BMI which means that smaller people may find that they now have a slightly greater BMI and taller people a lower one..
Yikes! Don't like this one, adds 1.2 points to my BMI. I think I'm going to pretend I didn't see this because then I don't have to lose as much before no longer being Obese by the BMI. Then I'll "remember" and try to get off the Obese label with the new scale! One thing at a time.

I've also been looking online for body fat calculators to try to figure what would be a healthy amount to lose. I found 2 I think were not completely ludicrous. (I'm sorry, US Army but I do NOT have a body fat % of 52%!!!) When I calculate how much weight/fat to lose based on these 2 calculators it hits right on my goal - one said 47# and one said 50#, my current goal is 49#. So I guess I'm on track.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Yeah but what does that REALLY mean, SS? I couldn't figure that out if I were paid to do it.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yeah but what does that REALLY mean, SS? I couldn't figure that out if I were paid to do it.
BMI is, in my opinion, kinda lame sauce. I know there is a range but it really does fail to take into account many other factors. I know there are people who are just saying look at waist to hip ratio or waist to height ratio as indicators of health & disease risk.

But I think, Drs being Drs, they needed a way to put a number on a chart and a range to fall into. All the websites with calculators flat out admit that there are factors that will make your BMI inappropriate. Consider, for example, athletes with a lot of muscle. They weigh a lot because they're ripped, not an ounce of fat on them, but a BMI would put them at overweight (maybe).

I think body fat would be easier to track, and more accurate. I'd like to have mine done at some point, maybe when I'm closer to goal (and therefore less embarrassed to actually have it measured) and see exactly where I need to be.

Onward & downward...
Old 03-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Make way for Queen Turtle. I'm so slow that as of today, I haven't lost anything in the almost 12 weeks I've been back to JUDDD. I confess that since Monday, I've been doing more of a WW thing, using a WW-like app to keep track of points. I didn't weigh Monday, but yesterday I was up 2 lbs. from Saturday's weight and another pound up from yesterday, putting me .5 under what I came back here at on January 2. WTHeck??? Talk about depressed.

I'm going to go back over the threads from last year when I'd begun losing (before my surgery) and make sure of what my DD calories were. I've become comfortable with 400 and less, but the ol' bod may do better at 500-525, which is what I'm thinking I did last year. But, I want to make sure.

I. Am. Bummed.
I'm sorry you're feeling bummed Nilla. That is frustrating, to be working so hard and not getting any reward. I think your idea is a good one, to revisit what you were doing when it was working for you. Here's hoping you'll get it figured out and start shedding those pounds again!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #51
Big Yapper!!!!

But the caliper test (not sure if that's the correct word) that pinches the skin to measure body fat would be inaccurate for people with excess skin, wouldn't it? Am I going to have to float in a tank?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
But the caliper test (not sure if that's the correct word) that pinches the skin to measure body fat would be inaccurate for people with excess skin, wouldn't it? Am I going to have to float in a tank?
I think it would, yes. There are other ways to measure body fat though. I once did a test where they hooked up electrodes in a few places and I had to stand on a special platform. Basically they pulsed currents through my body (I could not feel it) and somehow were able to calculate fat & water composition, likely from the time it took for the currents to pass through? It was pretty cool because I could see where I was with fat, water retention, etc. I was able to determine from that that I could lose xxx% fat which I was able to convert to xxx pounds of fat. Didn't do it, but it was neat to see.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I often hear shorter people say that 5 pounds looks like a lot more on their smaller body than it does on a taller person. I think if that's true, then it makes sense for you to have a slightly smaller range for ideal. It's less than one pound difference per inch of height if that makes it any better.
At one point in my thin, vain life I might have said, "5 lbs looks like a TON on me!!!" NOW, I agree that 70 lbs is not attractive on me, but I'll take 5 lbs overweight any day!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Dawn and Adi-

Thanks for explaining. Now that you've both explained it my question seems silly. I guess I was thinking of "overweight" in colloquial terms, not medical.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Do you use inches and pounds for this formula?
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Well, my BMI(according to my math) is 1.25 then
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #57
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Dawn and Adi-

Thanks for explaining. Now that you've both explained it my question seems silly. I guess I was thinking of "overweight" in colloquial terms, not medical.
I guess the pounds I am trying to lose are the "vanity" pounds. Not necessary but would love to lose them.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
There is a new calculation for the BMI which means that smaller people may find that they now have a slightly greater BMI and taller people a lower one.

Interactive calculator: do you win or lose with the new BMI? - Telegraph

If the link doesn't work it's the Trefethern formula.
Not much change for me. Old system: 23.5, New system: 23.1
Old 03-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #59
Big Yapper!!!!

My BMI is 31. I will have to get down to 172 for it to go to 30 (overweight). I would need to be 135 for it to be 23.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 03-27-2013 at 05:06 PM..
Old 03-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Well I tried the calculator and it said I had a BMI of 0.4!!!!!