Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Question for our Potato-Hackers (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/800165-question-our-potato-hackers.html)

Mssarge 03-23-2013 10:50 AM

Question for our Potato-Hackers

Any suggestions for making chips in the microwave? I've seen it demonstrated on a couple of shows and tried it this morning but it's not quite right. I think I made the chips too thick...number 3 on my mouli and will try thinner ones some other day.

Basically, you slice the potato, thread them on a wooden skewer, and nuke 'em in a dish with the skewer suspended between the edges of a dish so the chips are suspended above the plate. In the demonstrations, they don't spray them with anything, so there's no fat on the chips when they're finished.

Mine were chewy, thus I think they were too thick...I had given three minutes in the micro and finished them in the bacon grease leftover from my breakfast bacon and they were oh so good...I've been wanting some chips and these satisfied.

I'm not joining you on the hack but thought since you are all looking for ways to eat your 'taters, you may have tried this method to cook 'em and have perfected the method....any suggestions will be appreciated.

adillenal 03-23-2013 11:08 AM

I make microwave potato chips this way. The original post said to use parchment paper but I use a silpat sheet since I was out of the paper.
Slice and since I do it by hand they are different thicknesses. Lay flat on the silpat and I microwave for 4 minutes. Open microwave and wait a few minutes so I can turn them over without burning my fingers. Turn them over and set the MW for 6 minutes. At around 4 minutes I start watching since they will start turning brown. Too brown and they taste burned. MW's differ in cooking times so you will have to experiment as to what times are appropriated for your oven. Enjoy and they are very crunchy and crisp.

Yennie 03-23-2013 03:11 PM

I make mine the same way Adi does. I lay them flat. I try to slice them as thin as possible, and usually end up flipping them about 1/2 way through. I find that the ones on the edge of the paper/plate/mat cook faster than the ones in the middle, so I may end up doing some re-arranging as well when I flip. I find it takes about 8 minutes to cook mine in my MW. I add salt, seasoning salt & sometimes salt & pepper before cooking to get a flavor. I also find that if I let them cool completely they're crispier.

arkie1 03-23-2013 04:56 PM

Can you use any type potato to make these chips? Thanks for all your help!

Carole

ravenrose 03-23-2013 06:17 PM

that device I asked about in another thread, that has a cutter and a tray for microwaving, makes them 1mm thick. reviewers say this thickness is necessary to get a good chip, any thicker doesn't work. so that gives you something to shoot for. I have a 1mm slicing blade on my cuisinart, btw, so I know they are available. lots of old slicing blades, etc, available cheap on ebay and there is surprising interchangeability with newer models.

adillenal 03-23-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkie1 (Post 16332707)
Can you use any type potato to make these chips? Thanks for all your help!

Carole

I just use russets. Never tried any others.

Mssarge 03-27-2013 03:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions...will try 'em when I get the "potato urge" again...I guess I cut them too thick and then didn't cook 'em long enough to "chip up".

Have you tried "chipping" any other vegetables in the microwave?