Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I just want to clarify that I'm not calling anybody's way of juicing "wrong"...
just trying to share some ways that might improve the experience/nutritional uptake (I mean, if you're going to grow & harvest or spend money on veggies and wash and chop them and clean up your kitchen, you might as well get as much of the nutrients as possible out of all that work, right? ).

And if a person has tried juicing and felt wonderful,
they might feel even better using blended whole foods.
Or they might not.
But if they just stick with the first thing they try,
they'll never know which is best for them.
New lows, 2014:
7/27 275.4

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-23-2013 at 09:05 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
@Piratejenny - oh yes I will try swishing, but I have to find a new juicer first. I wouldn't mind doing the odd day now and again.

@Yennie - When I did it there it was a bad season due to flooding and I couldn't get hold of kale at all and celery was the most expensive I have ever seen. I substituted the kale with baby spinach leaves, so I don't know if the kale would make it bitter, but kale was supposed to be the best choice. Of course now when I'm not fasting kale and celery are plentiful....
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #33
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
To get the full benefits it is best to juice as the blender concoction will contain fiber and this will cause your digestion system to work on breaking down this fiber for nutrition as opposed to the juice contents which are already broken down. The whole point is to give your digestion system a rest so your energy can be directed to healing and not digestion.

Keep your eye out for garage sales and Ebay. So many people have juicers in their cupboard they don't use (I think I purchased mine for a wheatgrass blitz many years ago). I'm eyeing on off on ebay atm because I would like to do a weekend fast now and then.

My weight loss was so spectacular I had people crawing out of the woodwork asking me how. I had some spare DVDs and gave them out but nobody did it I guess you have to be in the right frame of mind and zone; like any program.
I'll havd to keep an eye out for one at garage sales this summer- thanks!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/118.8/115-120
Mojo- thanks for posting about your juice fast experience.
I think I will start juicing again once the weather gets warmer but only using veggies. I used to make lovely juices using kale, celery, carrots, beets green and little bit of beets (beets make it sweeter). It was divine. I then got lazy and stopped. Can't wait to start it again.
I have Omega juicer, is this a good one? I have to check the model number, but it is the one that takes a long time to juice.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grammyw/kitties
Stats: I am 170.2
WOE: I am starting IF leaning towards locarb
Start Date: Starting Dec 20,2012
I have a vitamix and I love it I use the whole food so calories are at a normal level.But you do feel really good either way
grammyw/kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #36
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Fat Sick and Nearly Dead is on Netflix streaming.

I think the idea is great, I bought a nice juicer, but have yet to be able to juice fast more than two days. I do juice on weekends and make ice cubes out of lemon, spinach & cucumber juice and drink a "veggie-ade" with 6-8 juice cubes, water and a squeeze of stevia every day.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
I'm in!

I had a divine juice drink at the whole food restaurant here and have been itching to get juicing myself. It was carrot, apple and ginger.

I watched the movie this afternoon and found it inspiring. My juicer is on its way from Amazon. I like the idea of juice for breakfast and lunch and then you only have to cook an evening meal. So you are 2/3 raw and veggie.

My only concern is giving up coffee though. Last time I stopped the caffeine I was asleep and head-achy for a week.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #38
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
My only concern is giving up coffee though. Last time I stopped the caffeine I was asleep and head-achy for a week.
I can see giving up soda (or diet soda), but I don't see a reason to give up coffee and tea really.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

For some people part of the benefits of juicing is to "alkalize".
Tea and coffee might be counter-productive.
(not a big deal to everyone )
Old 03-25-2013, 03:06 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: 196/?(not looking for a while)/150
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
Hey experienced Juice fasters... I have a vitamix blender and started the green "smoothies" which I just love but I wonder - would I be un-doing the benefits of a juice fast if I added chia seeds? I've recently discovered their nutritional benefits (from here- thank you very much), loaded with omega-3's and antioxidants. The nutrition facts per tablespoon are about (I'm rounding up):
50 cal
3g fat
4g fiber
4g carbs
1-2 g protein

I was thinking it would not un-do it since veggies and fruit have fiber, carbs and protein also?
And what about adding coconut oil? would fat be a no-no?
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
@Phoenix - hopefully Piratejenny will respond, I'm sure she posted about chia seeds recently. Personally I prefer to be a purist with the juicing and stick to juices although I would see the benefits of adding CO. If you can stomach green juice with chia seeds and CO more power to you

@Stargazer, hmm coffee is a problem because it will take a few days to get it out of your system along with withdrawal symptoms and so if someone does a fast for 2 days then by the time the caffeine is out their system the fast ends. That's why I like longer fasts so you get the chance to feel fantastic. The first two days of my fast were horrible I recall; I tried to sleep though it.

@GME the first part of the movie is a bit slow, but the second part with Phil was inspiring. Here was this large, gruff, angry looking truckie who by the end transforms into this sweet, sensitive. likeable person who wants to inspire others. What were the chances of two people from different ends of the earth and different walks of life but with the same rare disease meeting like that....
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Chia seeds are high in fat & omega-3s.
Coconut oil doesn't have omega-3s, but has other benefits.
Either one or both together would be nutritious.

Personally, I think adding fat to juice or a juice fast is a GOOD idea, because many of the vitamins in veggies are absorbed better when you eat a little fat with them.

Remember the study that came out a few years ago saying that if you eat a salad with fat-free dressing you don't absorb as much of the nutrients as when you put a little oil (or nuts, or cheese) on the salad?

But it's up to you to decide whether you want to incorporate fat, or avoid it.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #43
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
For some people part of the benefits of juicing is to "alkalize".
Tea and coffee might be counter-productive.
(not a big deal to everyone )
Ah, that makes sense.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:25 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

I'm cutting back on the coffee pre-juicing. I seem to be sensitive to caffeine. I only drink four a day but if I cut down I really am asleep all day, plus bad headaches.

Watching the movie, I get the feeling it's all about the simplicity and the whoosh into your bloodstream of those nutrients. It gives your digestion a rest. Chia seeds make my tummy work too hard. I make green smoothies and always add my coconut oil to the mix. That would be tempting.

The 15 day reboot on his website involves eating a lot of fruit and veg for 5 days, juicing five days and then back to solid food heavy on the fruit and veggies for the next 5 days. There is an interview with him about the movie where he says he would not recommend anyone go cold turkey straight into a juice fast like he did, but to ramp down the coffee and sugar etc and ramp up the raw stuff for a few days beforehand. He suffered a lot in that first week. He didn't film that bit enough, he says. He was new to both juicing and film making.

Last edited by stargazer; 03-26-2013 at 03:28 AM..
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, yes, you should always do a "prep" and "after" phase.

Basic rule is 1/3 of your planned fasting time.
So, 3 day fast: 1 day of raw food, 3 days fasting, 1 day of raw food.
1 day fast: dinner of raw food, fast next day, breakfast of raw food.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:19 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

I had a dreadful time on caffeine withdrawal so I'm sticking at one cup a day. Even that was hard work.

I've been juicing for three days since my juicer arrived. I love it. Not sure I'm ready to do a full juice fast but juicing through till dinner is pleasant and fine and I get no hunger.

It must shrink you stomach and get a whole bunch of good things into your body. So that's a good basis for a diet if nothing else. Not sure what the calorie count is. I ought to find out. But a handful of berries, a couple of apples and a carrot can't add up to that much. I think the lack of insoluble fibre (you still get the other kind) is great. Chewing through that much fibre is hard work and the prep for super salads is harder. So I tend not to bother as much as I should. This way you just pop it all whole into the machine and you get a sweet and yummy drink. Simples I also think my digestion is a lot happier for the regular break. Some of us do better on low fibre.

Still eating a regular evening meal but the weight loss on a pure juice fast looks phenomenal. Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead is inspiring. I'll work my way up.

Oh and DO NOT add a whole beetroot to the mix. I know they are super foods but I was in pain for two days after that mistake! Again it depends on how you react to the fructans.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:07 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think the benefits--satiety, better digestion, etc--have a lot to do with the enzymes in raw food. I know I feel different for several hours when I have raw greens compared to when I eat the same amount of cooked greens.

Hurrah for everyone feeling better!!!

(PS--yes, beets are very intense! Aside from the sugar, and flavor, and color, they are considered a potent "blood purifier". Starting with about 1/2 of a small or 1/4 of a medium beet is not a bad idea.)

I think I'm going to make some celery/parsley juice today.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #48
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I am happy to see this thread turn back up today.

I am on day 3 of a juice not-quite-fast. I had one regular meal yesterday and the day before. Today I plan on only eating what I otherwise could have juiced if I get too hungry.

I am day 3 Diet Pepsi free (if you knew me you would know what a HUGE deal that is). I am not trying to give up all caffeine but I have switched to tea and more plain water rather than coffee. I like tea ok and it delivers some caffeine, but I don't have the attachment to it that I do coffee and DP.

My current favorite juices are carrot-apple-ginger (sweet, so not too much) and a very lemony spinach-cucumber-celery.

I also sometimes juice two lemons to three large English cucumbers, mix with water and add stevia to make an -ade type drink. A bit of ACV is good in that mix too. I freeze the juice into ice cubes for a quick grab and go if I am running late for work.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead on Netflix streaming last year. I bought a juicer and enjoyed making some juices, but quickly realized that buying enough produce to do a juice fast could be very expensive. I was surprised at the quantity of vegetable and fruit I had to use to get even a cup of juice. I think Joe Cross mentioned in the film that he was spending $20-25 a day on produce. I could be wrong, but that number stuck in my head.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Evie1978
Stats: 275/215/150
WOE: Exercise/Diet lost 60 then stall/JUDDD 3/2013
Start Date: March 2013
I just ordered a NutriBullet and am looking forward to pulverizing some raw foods for both myself and my daughter....will update when it arrives!
Evie1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
I was surprised at the quantity of vegetable and fruit I had to use to get even a cup of juice.
That's part of why I prefer raw soups and smoothies!
You don't have to throw away all that pulp....

There's an organic farmstand near us with a sign that says,
"Please don't use our produce to make juice"!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #52
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Starting a juice fast on Monday and want to juice for a short while straight and then try doing it on DDs so would be very interested to hear if anyone else has tried this?
WJS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131.8/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
I watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead on Netflix streaming last year. I bought a juicer and enjoyed making some juices, but quickly realized that buying enough produce to do a juice fast could be very expensive. I was surprised at the quantity of vegetable and fruit I had to use to get even a cup of juice. I think Joe Cross mentioned in the film that he was spending $20-25 a day on produce. I could be wrong, but that number stuck in my head.
I thought that movie was amazing (even though I could never juice that much) and it did inspire me to look into juicing. I already had a juicer and my hubby and I tried it but he quickly lost interest so if I do it, it will have to be only for me. My grocery store has a rack of discounted produce (applies with bruises, etc.) so although it might take a little effort of removing bruised spots on fruits and veggies, it is much cheaper to buy that produce. If I try juicing again I will do that. I will be off from work for 2 weeks before Labor day so I think I'm going to try it.

Mojo I think it's awesome that you lost all that weight with juicing!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #54
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
That movie was aired on UK TV a few weeks ago and that is what inspired me too. I put on a bit of weight sadly binging on JUDDD so had to go back to Dukan to drop them. It is a VERY slow process for me so have decided not to wait any longer and go ahead and start juicing on Monday and hope to drop the final 10 pounds that way. I hope to eventually get my binging under control and use JUDD for maintenance. Fingers crossed!

I am so impressed with what I have read about juicing would love to be able to use it with JUDDD after the first week or so.
WJS is online now   Reply With Quote