Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Foods that cause Bloating

I have vented in the past over my UD's and overeating and discomfort. Bloating in my tum triggers something in my brain to keep eating. This morning of my UD I had to go to supermarket as we had run out of milk and cat food. The nuts were calling me but I was strong and instead got a small peach and a pear. Well immediately I started to feel that horrible familiar bloat and discomfort so I googled "foods that bloat" and time after time three culprits emerged - peaches, pears and apples. No wonder I bloat! These are the main fruits I eat on UD's and I eat several. Combine that with the other foods I eat on UDs and no wonder I look and feel 8 months pregnant. So if you have bloating issues see if those fruits are triggers.
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Although I wish some of your favorite foods didn't do this to you, I am really glad you've been able to identify at least one of your triggers.
I don't know of any foods, specifically, that cause me to bloat per se. My issues are more with overeating or a water/salt intake imbalance.
Although there definitely are times when I'm BLOATED! But it doesn't happen to me enough to really be able to pin it down.
Each step is one step closer to the goal!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Fortunately, I'm finding that I rarely bloat on JUDDD. I don't have swollen ankles or fingers anymore and my stomach feels flat(er) most of the time. Those fruits would not cause me any problem, but I do hate that they are a problem for you!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Of course, the things you like to eat! Isn't that the way it goes? I have noticed apples bloating me before. I wonder why? Well, it is good you are figuring this out!
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shepheka
Stats: 130/118/110
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: April 4,2014
I seem to bloat whenever I eat anything with glucomannan. I keep trying it because it has no calories. But it seems like every time I eat it, it takes me a day to recover. Has anyone else reacted this way or am I just weird?
But the worst thing for me and bloating is wheat! Anything containing wheat does a number on me!
shepheka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
I think we're talking about two different kinds of bloating here....abdominal bloating and retaining water around your body.

Re the glucommannan...if you mean water retention in your body, then YES!! I asked this maybe a year and a half ago, and no one else had experienced it. I surely hold onto a LOT of water when I use it.....so we can be weird together!
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Isn't it supposed to cause bloating, or that "full feeling"? Glucomannan, I mean.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

LG-I meant that glucommannan causes water retention for me.....my legs swell up enough to make my loose pant tight, all within a day.

And while it should make you feel full, I wouldn't say you should be bloated, as in abdominal distention.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh, I see. I've never tried it by itself. I'm sure I've had food with it in the ingredients, but can't say how it affects me.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I'm sensitive to some of the FODMAPs and I can bloat very soon after eating some of them (eg, fried onions are fine, but fried onion as the base of a water-based sauce causes problems as particular water-soluble groups cause the upset - they don't dissolve in oil). Other groups cause swelling when they're in the small intestine or the large (the latter can be quite distended with particular classes of resistant starch).
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I have never heard of FODMAPs. Maybe that is something I should look in to. I know that onions have caused me a lot of gastrointestinal distress in the past. Many foods do. That is the main reason I have eaten low carb for the last couple of years, it makes my stomach happy! As far a weight goes, low carb only got me so far.
This potato hack that I have been doing also causes me gastro issues but it does seem to be getting better every day. Anyhow, as long as I keep getting the results I am from it, a little discomfort is a small price to pay. I'm down 3 pounds in the last week or so. For me that is a miracle!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Familyvet
Stats: 230/200/<160 5'8" 44yo
WOE: Atkins on and off for years, JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD 2/20/13
Speaking of the Potato Hack and bloat... I did it for about 3 days. I felt so bloated (even after only eating a small amount) I felt like I was going to explode! This used to be caused by carbs in general, but that has improved significantly since being on JUDDD!
Familyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyvet View Post
Speaking of the Potato Hack and bloat... I did it for about 3 days. I felt so bloated (even after only eating a small amount) I felt like I was going to explode!
There is no polite way to say this but I've had several gut upsets during the potato hack - one of the reasons I'm continuing (I'd only planned on following it for 14 days) is that I can't face the adaptation period again so I'd rather make the most of it while I can.

FODMAPs affect a substantial number of people. I always knew that I can't tolerate even small amounts of inulin (Jerusalem Artichokes). I was never particularly good after onion soup or casseroles that had been slow-cooked with onion but I'd never realised that this is because the compounds (fructans in the case of onions) that upset my gut are soluble in water/water-based fluids but not oil. So, I've always been fine with fried onions but not other sorts.

Nowadays, I fry onions/garlic for a stew/soup/casserole, remove the solids (leaving the onion and garlic flavoured oil in the pan), continue with the recipe and then serve the onions and garlic separately as a mix-in. Oddly enough, this has helped not only me but other people who didn't realise that they had a similar reaction.

Last edited by SlowSure; 03-22-2013 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Familyvet
Stats: 230/200/<160 5'8" 44yo
WOE: Atkins on and off for years, JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD 2/20/13
Hmmmm... I will start paying more attention! I thought it was just carb overload, since it seemed similar. I love onions, but mostly eat them raw in salad. Made some chicken soup last night that had lot of cooked onion in it, but I don't think it would be considered "slow-cooked". This is a new one on me, so I will try to notice more what my reaction is to different foods! Thanks for the info!
Familyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Yokochick
Stats: 5'3" Start: 190/Current: 155/ Goal:110
Start Date: Start: 3/16/2013 Restart Date: 5/5/2013
I can only eat fruits juiced. I tried them in smoothies and the bloating thing still happens. For some reason, the whole fruit just makes my tummy uncomfortable.
Same thing happens when I eat a heavy carb without any fats (dry potatoes, dry toast, oatmeal made without milk or cream) or nuts that haven't been soaked.

Last edited by Yokochick; 03-22-2013 at 09:12 AM..
Yokochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I don't think I notice a lot of fluid retention related to specific foods. But if you're talking about gut bloat, oh boy!

My beloved Grapenuts make me just about explode! I LOVE them so much! I love to eat them with plain yogurt, but can't do it anymore. Too much pain, "noise" (internal) which ultimately results in.....um......you know, other noise more of the external variety.

FiberOne bars do exactly the same thing to me. A coworker gave me a box she didn't want one afternoon and I had one. Mmm, these are yummy. An hour later, I was in some distress and sounded like an alien was going to pop out of my stomach!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

How interesting! I always wondered why onion soup reacts so badly with me but I can eat onions on salads with no problem.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
WTH!! I've been reading Kurt Harris and FODMAPS etc and it seems apples, pears, peaches, onions and sugarless gum with xylitol are major culprits - these are my regular foods on JUDDD. Kurt Harris advocates starches such as potatoes are healthier than green veggies; the ideal meal is high quality meat and potato. The more I learn about nutrition the more confused I become

Last edited by mojocat; 03-23-2013 at 10:44 AM..
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Yes, Mojo, everyone has a theory and ideas are changing every time you turn around. I think the take home message is that everyone's body is different and you have to explore what works for you.....low carb works for some, but not others, same with JUDD, and every other food plan out there. As well, different foods affect our bodies differently. So I take it all with a grain of salt. There are a few things most people would agree on (like a diet full of sugar and white flour is not healthy), but for the most part I do what makes ME feel best, no matter what the "experts" say.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I seem to bloat no matter WHAT I eat . I don't eat wheat or drink pop (I made the mistake of drinking one the other day to try to force the air bubble out of my stomach and ended up with a headache from hell) I refuse to give up cabbage and broccoli, which I know cause gas but I eat them in moderation. I ate 2 cups of cabbage yesterday before work for lunch and I was MISERABLE until I finally forced the gas out. I don't know what to eat anymore!

And then I tried antacids...you know, the ones that are supposed to help with gas and bloating. That made it worse! Then I was bloated and miserable but no matter what I did, I couldn't force the air out.
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food

Last edited by Demonica; 03-24-2013 at 10:07 AM..
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I am experimenting with eliminating FODMAPs because of a health issue. I'm finding it very difficult because it seems like all my favorite vegetables are on that list! However, yesterday my stomach started looking smaller to me. Maybe imagination, or maybe I have been bloated from gas, and just didn't know it. It has only been a few days, but I am interested to see if I notice a big difference after a longer time. Hoping very hard that I will be able to reintroduce some of my favorites after my system is back to normal.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I looked at that FODMAP list and it is really restricting. Not sure if I want to go quite that extreme since I don't really have gut issues but I can see some changes I could easily make which might just be healthier.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I looked at that FODMAP list and it is really restricting. Not sure if I want to go quite that extreme since I don't really have gut issues but I can see some changes I could easily make which might just be healthier.
The notion behind FODMAPs is that you experiment to discover which ones are a problem for you (for me, it's fructans) and then you experiment with the quantity to see how much you can tolerate. In theory, you can increase the amount you can tolerate.

It won't be relevant to everyone but there's some decent research to support why some people with recurrent gut/bloating issues have a FODMAPS sensitivity of one or more categories.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
The notion behind FODMAPs is that you experiment to discover which ones are a problem for you (for me, it's fructans) and then you experiment with the quantity to see how much you can tolerate. In theory, you can increase the amount you can tolerate.

It won't be relevant to everyone but there's some decent research to support why some people with recurrent gut/bloating issues have a FODMAPS sensitivity of one or more categories.
Than you for the information. I am not motivated to put in that much time and energy since I have not experienced issues to date.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
I am experimenting with eliminating FODMAPs because of a health issue. I'm finding it very difficult because it seems like all my favorite vegetables are on that list! However, yesterday my stomach started looking smaller to me. Maybe imagination, or maybe I have been bloated from gas, and just didn't know it. It has only been a few days, but I am interested to see if I notice a big difference after a longer time. Hoping very hard that I will be able to reintroduce some of my favorites after my system is back to normal.
Thank you for this information! Will start experimenting with the items on the list.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Evie1978
Stats: 275/215/150
WOE: Exercise/Diet lost 60 then stall/JUDDD 3/2013
Start Date: March 2013
I might try the dandelion root tea instead of the weightless cranberry for bloating...it has way too many warnings about the uva ursi sp? herb...
Evie1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #27
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I haven't looked at the list, and don't have time right now, but I've had watermelon the last two days and have had bloating. I think it's the only thing I've not had in a while.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:38 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
Both my son and my husband have gas issues. I didn't know that about onions. I do cook a lot of stews and soups and of course they all have boiled onions in them. I'll try the trick of just frying and then taking them out. Genius.

This site is so informative!
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

I'm getting confused about what people are talking about....it seems some are referring to gassy abdominal bloating and some are referring to water retention bloat....it's making it hard to find patterns (for me, anyway)
Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Fascinating. Is there any food anywhere that is actually healthy for everyone on earth to eat?
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote