Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Why you shouldn't food shop on a DD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/799965-why-you-shouldnt-food-shop-dd.html)

sorenkkg 03-20-2013 01:44 PM

Why you shouldn't food shop on a DD

:o

I wanted pickles. Seriously, just some different pickles.

I said to DH (who is currently home during the day...) let's go to the european grocery store (omg it's huge) b/c they have a TON of pickle-y things.

And off we went, on our DD. Genius!
:doh:

I came home with:
pickled mushrooms
pickled pattypan squashes
pickled celery salad (shredded celery)
pickled tomato salad
(no actual dill cucumber pickles, b/c I get those at the regular grocery)

AND...
4 packages of end-of-cut different cold cut meats (um... one of them is chicken meatloaf. I can't identify the others, but assume they are pork products)
5 packages of unsliced "deli ends", b/c DH likes to chunk these up and mix in with the eggs in the morning of an UD.
5 packs of beef short ribs
3 packs of GINORMOUS chicken breasts (bnless/sknless) for a really good price, less than costco for sure
turkey pepperettes
2 blood/black sausages
1lb of sliced smoked cappicolo
1lb of sliced bbq pork neck (it's amazing, sort of like fatty brisket)... omg I'm drooling...
chocolate covered cookie things
5 bars of different dark chocolate in flavors like coffee and marzipan
other chocolate covererd marzipan
chocolate covered cherries
a box of mint chocolates for DH
other wafer chocolate nut cookie thingies
tiny rum balls shaped like easter eggs (!)
possibly other assorted eastery things

:doh:

Seriously... :doh:

Well, tomorrow is an UD, and I *will* be eating some of that yummy deli meat. Might not be the lowest in calories, but it is low in carbs! :D
I can also sort of rationalize the treats, as we decided to do EASTER this year (the chocolate hiding part of it) b/c I've never really done that before (and no, this isn't the only chocolate DH and I have bought for this particular little blow-out-extravaGANza)... go hard or go home, we say :sing:

Anyway-- wanted to share this bit of ridiculousness with you guys b/c seriously.... :D

:hiya:
S.

p.s.: AND... smoked paprika, grilled red peppers (jarred), some sort of RIB spice with a piggy on the label...and garlic Matzoh, but not the brand I'm used to.

KeirasMom 03-20-2013 01:49 PM

I think I'm coming to your house for Easter . . . just for the rumball eggs! :stars:

hot-in-texas 03-20-2013 01:55 PM

oh my Soren!!! So much for "pickles" lol

SlimNana 03-20-2013 02:06 PM

Rum Ball Easter eggs!!!:yummy:

This post is too dangerous for me to even be reading on my fasting day! :stars:

Soren, you're a much braver woman than me to fill your house with all these goodies today, along with having incredible will power not to start devouring them before tomorrow! :notwrthy:

TryingJudd 03-20-2013 02:12 PM

I sent DD today...... with a list of all non-naughty things. Specialty food stores, hey, even the plain old grocery store hold way too many temptations for me. I love food LOL. :o Probably a BIG reason I now have to diet, darn it.

sorenkkg 03-20-2013 02:22 PM

OMG, the "eggs" available nowadays... I found mini versions of the cadbury easter eggs, the caramilk eggs (do you americans have caramilk? omg, so good) and mini coffee crisp easter eggs. Seriously-- coffee crisp is amazing.
Now these rum ball ones... and all the other crap... Make sure to find me on April 1st and ensure that I'm not having a diabetic seizure or something :p

Dawn-- you, your DH and DD, need to all get up here for March 29th... and bring 20 of your closest friends!

TJ-- I'm with you. Just the regular grocery store is fun (especially now that my other shopping has been curtailed for a while :( ) and when I went to Safeway in CA last week, I about lost my mind! You guys have it GOOOOOOD down there :up: wow!

I just tried all the pickled things :)

celery-- I think this is actually celery root (it's very white, and now that I tasted it, tastes like celery root). Will be better cold. Could go on top of a salad with chicken
pattypan squashes-- so cute! good flavor.
mushrooms-- sort of like a marinated mushroom, but without the oil. I feel guilt-free eating these. Not sure why the liquid is yellow :confused:
pickled green tomato salad-- a bit on the sweet side, but still pretty good. I'm used to sour green tomato pickles (like a sour dill), so all these non-sour pickle-y things are new for me :)

(omg... caffeine this morning...seriously...)
S.

KeirasMom 03-20-2013 02:35 PM

One of my favorite meals lately (I mean like 3 or 4 times per week!) is banh mi. It has pickled daikon and pickled carrots on it, but they aren't really vinegar-y, and just lightly sweet. Sooo good. :yummy:

sorenkkg 03-20-2013 02:40 PM

I almost got pickled rutebega, but left it at the store. I have yet to have a banh mi, but look forward to it!

Oh, and I got mini pannetones, soooo cute. I'll make the best french toast ever with them.
it has a little ribbon on top, like you'd hang it from a tree or something!
http://www.capriflavors.com/images/b..._panettone.jpg

Librarygirl 03-20-2013 03:00 PM

Stop, stop, stop!!! Now I want caramilk eggs, rum ball eggs, briscuit thingy...:yummy::p

I stopped by the store on the way home for HWC, and that was pretty much all I got because I'm broke!:laugh::laugh: That's one good way to stop.:D

sorenkkg 03-20-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16327059)
I stopped by the store on the way home for HWC, and that was pretty much all I got because I'm broke!:laugh::laugh: That's one good way to stop.:D

:laugh: I hear ya. DH is still out of work, and I fit in this shop-a-ganza under the "we need food" clause in our agreement ;)

one-time only, I'm sure :D

eta: the cold cuts are actually a good deal, and the chicken was wayyyy less per kg than normal (like 8.80 per kg vs say 12 or 13 per kg at other stores... even 11 if I can find it is good...). We could've done w/out the treats of course :o

Luv2Eat 03-20-2013 03:17 PM

:eek::yummy:

Carly 03-20-2013 03:22 PM

Hum... I never remember whether it is an UD or a DD until about 7pm, when my stomach rumbles for the first time. This post officially rumbled my stomach 42 minutes early. Sadly... it's DD, so it won't get fed till 9pm. A cup of broth may now be required. Sounds like you got lots of yummy stuff and your Egg-stravaganza sounds fun.

jaymar 03-21-2013 10:59 AM

Wow, Soren, do you know how to shop, or what...it all sounds great...I started packing for the Easter trip, but then I saw you didn't get any sun dried tomatoes in olive oil...well , that's ok..the gasonline alone would cost me about 3 thousand dollars..guess I better stay home..hope you enjoy the french toast..I just love that kind of bread...got my daughter a couple of pkgs. last year and she was dancing all over her kitchen..good luck to your DH, too..on getting work that he likes...I think you can also be our new "Specialty Foods Chairman", ..:high5:

sorenkkg 03-21-2013 01:00 PM

yes! :up:

Soren
JUDDD Specialty Foods Chairman
:cool:

LoCarbGal 03-22-2013 09:59 AM

I'm still stuck on the rumball eggs! Oh my! Yep, those specialty stores are dangerous. I want to try every little thing that sounds different or exotic. You did good just sampling the "picklies" on your DD!

sorenkkg 03-22-2013 05:39 PM

It's weird eh, Lcg? I know where the goodies are, but I know they are for next Sunday...must be JUDDD calm? :confused:

Some things I can resist easily... And some not (baked goods...pasta) ;)
I stay out of Italian groceries, cuz they have both.

sdjade 03-22-2013 06:06 PM

Love this title!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh: It is official!
Quote:

Originally Posted by sorenkkg (Post 16328760)
Soren
JUDDD Specialty Foods Chairman

sorenkkg 03-22-2013 07:29 PM

:up:

jaymar 03-22-2013 08:58 PM

Soren, er ah, Your Honor,..Madam Chairman...can you tell me what they call those eggs that are pastel and hard coated on the outside..when you bite into them they are like malted milk balls..oh..and also..they are speckeled..kind of like a real bird's egg...I really want to get some for Easter, but I don't know if they have a name, and I haven't seen any in Florida in the last ten years...I have tried asking about them in grocery stores..but had no luck at all..so If you have any good ideas, I would appreciate it..and I would even go so far as to buy them online if they can be found at all...:dunno:, and thank you.:)

calichris 03-22-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymar (Post 16331379)
Soren, er ah, Your Honor,..Madam Chairman...can you tell me what they call those eggs that are pastel and hard coated on the outside..when you bite into them they are like malted milk balls..oh..and also..they are speckeled..kind of like a real bird's egg...I really want to get some for Easter, but I don't know if they have a name, and I haven't seen any in Florida in the last ten years...I have tried asking about them in grocery stores..but had no luck at all..so If you have any good ideas, I would appreciate it..and I would even go so far as to buy them online if they can be found at all...:dunno:, and thank you.:)

Those are called Robin eggs. delicious. :yummy:

sorenkkg 03-23-2013 06:51 AM

I give you, co-chair, Chris! :)

jaymar 03-23-2013 09:36 AM

Thank you for the info...I have been busy googeling,.but, what I see is not the ones I remember...but maybe they've changed and improved them..looks like they would be available in bags in the stores...the "old ones" that I used to get were only one color..pale blue, and didn't have any brand, I guess...I do see some places that I can order online...have to get them by the pound..uh oh..:dunno:

sorenkkg 03-23-2013 02:11 PM

Jaymar, I was going to say whoppers or maltesers (sp?), and looks like robins eggs are made by whoppers... Blue would make sense bc the birds eggs are blue, but I'm sure they've changed over the years?

My hubby doesn't like those malted ball candies, don't know why? I like em just fine ;)

Carly 03-23-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorenkkg (Post 16332474)
Jaymar, I was going to say whoppers or maltesers (sp?), and looks like robins eggs are made by whoppers... Blue would make sense bc the birds eggs are blue, but I'm sure they've changed over the years?

My hubby doesn't like those malted ball candies, don't know why? I like em just fine ;)

I'm not a candy person, but I do like those ;)

TryingJudd 03-23-2013 03:50 PM

Yum ......