Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
DD Assist: Gelatin

So I recently purchased some Great Lakes gelatin (collagen hydrolysate) for joint care--it had been recommended over at the Perfect Health Diet board--I've been drinking bone broth and wanted another source of collagen--ANYHOW, one Tbs is 25 calories and 6 g of protein and dissolves quickly in cold water and is fantastic for quickly knocking out hunger.

I've been mixing a Tbs of the gelatin with a Tsp of 4C lemonade drink mix and sipping it hot a couple of times during the day. In addition to helping my joints, it really helps manage my hunger well and I thought my JUDDD buds would appreciate another tool for DD's.

People also seem to think it helps improve the quality of their sleep. A number of folks take a Tbs before bed. I may try that as well.

OK, Ouis out. Carry on.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Excellent!

For anybody on a budget...the collagen hydrolysate tends to be a bit pricier, and as far as I know, it doesn't have any nutritional value over "plain" gelatin--it dissolves in cold water and isn't as grainy. But if you're going to add it to hot drinks, broth, etc, the plain gelatin works, too.

Dana Carpender blogged about it a while back, and I've been trying to take a tbsp a day since then. I love it (and dessicated liver pills) for a low-calorie way to get a good variety of amino acids.
New lows, 2014:
7/27 275.4
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Oh, sounds like something I will be investgating. I'd like it for joint health and sleep health. I probably would be too cheap with my DD calories to use it then, but I'll be looking into it- thanks!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Is that plain gelatin that comes in the packs you can find at any grocery store? Thank you for this important info!!!
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

I am not as committed as some folks. I never buy in bulk. Probably not the smartest thing, but I guess I'll try it first in the little packs.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
YES!!!
This is why I am addicted to BB, the gelatin is amazing for appetite control. And if you don't have bb, please make gelatin. Great Lakes makes a Collagen Hydrolysate that does not congeal. The benefit is that you can mix with your smoothie, morning coffee, even soup or breakfast and you will not know it is there!!! Absolutely amazing.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Thx, checking into it!
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
YES!!!
This is why I am addicted to BB, the gelatin is amazing for appetite control. And if you don't have bb, please make gelatin. Great Lakes makes a Collagen Hydrolysate that does not congeal. The benefit is that you can mix with your smoothie, morning coffee, even soup or breakfast and you will not know it is there!!! Absolutely amazing.
Splain, plz. Where can I get it?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Adoug4ho
Stats: 222/198/175?
Start Date: October 29, 2012; restart 1/14/13 (carb creep!)
Yes, I'm curious what BB is
Adoug4ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

BB is bone broth. Which is truly the best appetite suppressant that I have ever found. I have been doing this a long time. Many, many years.

Bone broth takes a long time to make and is not a quickie nutritional supp. But, if you are willing to take the time to make it on the weekend in your crock pot, it will last all week. Or if you rather use the gelatin, you can do a search on Netrition or the river site for Collagen Hydrolysate. You will get the benefits of the broth, without having to simmer for 24 hours. The great thing about this particular gem, is that you can add it to coffee, breakfast yogurt, oatmeal, or whatever you love and it will feel like you have eaten a big ol' meal. Like the most nutritional meal ever. Truly magical and yet nutritional.

To learn more google: Top 5 Reasons Why Bone Broth is The Bomb.

Bone broth will help fix what is ailing you and more.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 03-20-2013 at 06:29 PM..
Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm doing both--Bone broth daily and the collagen hydrolysate. So happy with both--
Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I'm doing both--Bone broth daily and the collagen hydrolysate. So happy with both--

Me too. I have found my holy grail of contentment.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
I'm having BB with a couple of little potato's mashed up in it - the best meal ever!! Thank you for all your support, Ouiz - love the new avi - you look like a different person! But the smile is the same!
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:46 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I looked it up, but boy it seems expensive! It was a 2 pack of 16oz I think, but it was like $44- maybe more.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Does it take awhile to "like" BB? I made some last weekend and I am afraid I do not like it. I like the little broth cubes and plain broth, but putting vinegar in it and cooking forever just seemed to make it nasty. I did cook some potatoes in the broth and the potatoes themselves are alright. Just do not care for the broth. Yet.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

You're the only one I've seen say that, besides me, Adi. I made some a couple of months ago and did not like it as much as jarred chicken stock. Not nearly as much. I don't know if I did something wrong either.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think beef/lamb broth has to be used in a soup or beef stock in order to be tasty. I prefer turkey BB and it is very tasty. Most of the time, I add my beef broth to my veggies or taters because of the bland taste and it does taste much better. Also, try lemon juice instead of the Apple Cider Vinegar, it will help retain the minerals from the bone without the strong taste of ACV.

Carly, I do not buy the individual packets for that reason. Yes, they are convenient, but I found the 16 oz can for about $20 at the Natural Grocer. For more cost effective, NOW brand makes the Beef Gelatin Hydrolyzed capsules. You get 200 for $11.00 and 4 caps a day would last 50 days. Which is the exact same thing and should do the trick.

Last edited by sunday; 03-21-2013 at 06:16 AM..
Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Eat View Post
I'm having BB with a couple of little potato's mashed up in it - the best meal ever!! Thank you for all your support, Ouiz - love the new avi - you look like a different person! But the smile is the same!
thank you L2E!! You So Sweet!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Thanks for this gelatin info.
I think BB takes a bit of experimenting. Mine was weak and uninteresting, originally. I pre-roast the bones now and keep them in the slow cooker for 24 hours after the roasting. (Vinegar, veggies, egg shells, water) Add salt before drinking.
The other thing is that I think my taste for it changed with time. Now I don't want anything else. And I second what Sunday says. It is crazily satisfying, somehow.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A few last tips. My broth lasts one week in the fridge. So, if you see you are going to have a lot more than you drink, freeze the rest in either ice trays then ziploc bag the ice cube broth. Or, I found the smallest size Ball plastic freezer canning jars and pour in to the containers to be stored till needed.

Also, if you are having trouble getting your bone broth to gel, most likely you are using too much water. I kept doing this and realized that too much water will negate the gel process.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I like the little broth cubes and plain broth, but putting vinegar in it and cooking forever just seemed to make it nasty.
I have to use just a *tiny* bit of vinegar, or I do not like it. Also, celery, bay leaves, peppercorns, and onion. Sometimes that doesn't taste right, either...it needs a little sweetness, like from a carrot or two.

I tried adding couple eggshells to broth for the first time recently, and I really liked it. Like it "smoothed" out the vinegar and weird flavors.

Just beef bones don't always taste appealing to me; I prefer chicken or pork. Or I mix them up. Also, when I serve myself a bowl or cup, I will add a little packaged bouillon to make it taste more familiar...nothin' wrong with that.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen, that is another great idea. You can flavor your beef broth to taste more to your liking. Drink it knowing that you are healing your gut!
My fav is turkey broth, because it tastes so good, but I like chicken very much
also. It is hard to explain this feeling, it is almost like my body is craving it. Like right now, I wish I had some at work to heat up and sip on.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
I found the Great Lakes at a local health store..would like to try it...I do like the bone broth, but right now, I can't even lift a big pot to strain it..next week..Ill have help..but..the question I'd like to ask is...has anyone had any kind of stomach or digestive upset from the hydrolyzed collagen?...doesn't really sound like anyone has any complaints in that area with it..so, I think I'll get some and hope if helps with my achey bones.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
You're the only one I've seen say that, besides me, Adi. I made some a couple of months ago and did not like it as much as jarred chicken stock. Not nearly as much. I don't know if I did something wrong either.
Maybe reading the instructions that said to skim the scum off the top killed my appetite.

I prefer the broth cubes so I will skip the BB regardless of how healthy it might be for me. I will compensate. Just can't get past the taste and smell. So far I have tried pork, beef and chicken bones. Maybe adding the acid reminds me of 6th grade science soaking chicken bones in vinegar and them becoming limber.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymar View Post
...has anyone had any kind of stomach or digestive upset from the hydrolyzed collagen?
I haven't, and in fact gelatin is supposed to be very healing to the stomach lining and digestive tract--great for people who are recovering from ulcers, "leaky gut syndrome" and other conditions.

The only thing is sometimes when I've added the gelatin to warm water, I've noticed it has a bit of an odd smell. If I take a big whiff of that it might make me a little nauseated. That's the closest I've gotten to an upset stomach from gelatin.

But it doesn't really taste the way it smells...it has almost no flavor at all. And if you buy the hydrolyzed collagen (as opposed to the plain, cheaper gelatin), it mixes into cold water rather easily. You could stir it into lemonade or iced tea or Crystal Light or something and never smell or taste it at all.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Jenny, that is so good to know...thank you..I would have started out with very hot water most likely,..I'll put it in lemonade, and it does sound like something that could be very helpful to me..I found it locally , so I'm going to get some today..it was about 13 dollars for a pound..so that should last a while..I'll give it a good go..even if it takes a while, it sure sounds like it's well worth trying for me.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote