Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Trouble sleeping... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/799934-trouble-sleeping.html)

Evie1978 03-20-2013 06:25 AM

Trouble sleeping...

Did anyone have trouble sleeping after starting this woe? I've read elsewhere that this might happen in the first month or so but should resolve itself over time. I find myself waking almost every morning around 3:30 or so and cannot get back to sleep. :( This makes dd's a bit more difficult, obviously because it makes the day significantly longer to get through. I might try some tea before lying down...I'm just curious to see if anyone else is struggling with this? :dunno:

Kimberli33 03-20-2013 07:00 AM

Not yet but I can sleep standing up...lol

adillenal 03-20-2013 07:06 AM

I have never experienced sleeping issues on JUDDD. But I never had sleep issues before either.

KeirasMom 03-20-2013 07:43 AM

I've suffered with insomnia for years. I get it once in a while now with JUDDD, but overall it's been better JUDDDing than following any other plan. :dunno:

A caveat: I do take 2 benadryl every night and have done so for years (as I've been fighing insomnia for YEARS!). I have not tried to stop that, so I may have a little skewed experience.

LoCarbGal 03-20-2013 09:09 AM

I rarely have trouble sleeping (I really am blessed in that regard, I know), but I have read that it is a common side effect of IF and calorie restriction in general. Hopefully it will fade for you soon and you'll be back to normal.

Evie1978 03-20-2013 09:09 AM

Thanks everyone, I've looked through some old threads and I'm finding this is a common problem for a lot of jb's. One one thread someone suggested trying something called "theanine serene"...I'm going to look into that a bit. I've always been a heavy sleeper, with occasional sleepless nights like most people, but I'm finding it to be more of an issue since I've started this woe.

jaymar 03-20-2013 09:27 AM

Evie, I will say that the sleeplessness did get better for me after about 2 months.. I was kind of worried that it wouldn't..but now I'm falling asleep about the same time every night...I suspected it was the resveratrol, but maybe I am used to it now.:)

Evie1978 03-20-2013 09:36 AM

Thanks Jaymar, that gives me hope! It's a little frustrating to wake up every night at the same time and just have this sinking feeling that you've lost another nights sleep. I was worried that it would have a negative effect on my losses because I know how critical sleep is for weight loss in general.

Jbinme 03-20-2013 09:50 AM

Yes! This happened to me. I even stopped doing JUDDD for a while because I was so miserable waking at 1:30 every night and not going back to sleep.
I was worried about this when I started JUDDD again last week and I bought some 5-htp. I have been sleeping just fine. I didn't want to have to take anything but its worth it! I also looked at the supplement you mentioned. I've heard they both help.

Evie1978 03-20-2013 10:02 AM

Janette, I'll look into that as well, thanks! Looking forward to a good night's sleep hopefully soon!

SlimNana 03-20-2013 10:04 AM

:hiya: I also had trouble waking up @ 3 a.m. and not being able to fall back to sleep, but not since I switched to 5:2. :sleepy:

Librarygirl 03-20-2013 04:21 PM

I had this happen some in the beginning, especially on DDs, but it sorted itself out and now I sleep very well. I have an occasional sleepless night but it's rare, and probably not due to JUDDD. What I will say is that ouizoid just posted a thread on gelatin and DD....and said it helps with hunger AND sleep! :)

Low Carb Librarian 03-20-2013 04:56 PM

I couldn't sleep and had a lot of anxiety.

Flossyliz 03-20-2013 04:56 PM

My first couple of DDs were very wakeful - I felt very hungry and kinda buzzy.
Since then, I've saved some cals for a snack near bedtime and have had no problems. One Ryvita + a sliver of cheddar works for me.

Carly 03-20-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16326264)
I've suffered with insomnia for years. I get it once in a while now with JUDDD, but overall it's been better JUDDDing than following any other plan. :dunno:

A caveat: I do take 2 benadryl every night and have done so for years (as I've been fighing insomnia for YEARS!). I have not tried to stop that, so I may have a little skewed experience.

:goodpost: ditto, exactly, but I take Tylenol PM or Zzzquil.

mojocat 03-20-2013 07:03 PM

I've suffered insomnia on and off for years. When it's really bad I take Melatonin and that gives me a good night sleep with no after effects. It has to be the prescription strength one though, the OTC homeopathic ones did nothing, athough depending where you live you might be able to buy the real deal OTC. Can't in my country.

piratejenny 03-20-2013 07:14 PM

I was going to second the gelatin suggestion. :)
IDK when the best time of day to take it is, though...an hour or so before bed, I'd guess?

I always had trouble falling asleep on DD nights, not waking up too early before a DD (and after an UD).
Is that what's happening--you're waking up every night after DDs and UDs?

Are you having bad dreams or waking up with your heart pounding?
(I have some theories & suggestions, if that's the case.)

Are you doing anything different, like having coffee in the afternoon or chocolate after dinner?

By "tea" do you mean something like chamomile?
Cuz regular tea has caffeine and could keep you up.

There are many insomniacs here...I bet between us all we can come up with something! :D

abitobeef 03-20-2013 08:29 PM

Try Valerian tablets works for me.