Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Do you think a calorie is a calorie,so to speak?opinions? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/799876-do-you-think-calorie-calorie-so-speak-opinions.html)

Kimberli33 03-19-2013 10:13 AM

Do you think a calorie is a calorie,so to speak?opinions?

I love carbs,as most of us do,but found I was out of control in my eating .:stars:To many carbs and the wrong kind of food.I found myself ballooning from 110 in my 20s to 180 in my 30s to 200 at 40.I knew I had to do something.So I tried Atkins but found it too restricting for me,so decided to do my own LC plan.I lost the bulk of my weight(30 so far) following that plan but got to missing carbs and decided I wanted to try JUDDD so I could add back some carbs and be less restricted in my woe.
since I'd went 2 months w/o carbs I've found my first few UDs were challenging.I didnt overeat but I tended to eat candy,icecream,popcorn,chips,:stars:and not much REAL food.:o I noticed this and made a decision to eat better on my UDs.Whew-that said-
Question time:)Weightloss wise-Do you think it matters what you eat as long as you stay within your cc??
I mean on UDs I have 1800 calories..Do you think I could lose just as well eating 1800 worth of pizza,chips,icecream,and soda as say Salmon,asparagus,yogurt,and berries?This is not accounting for what these foods might do to ones appetite...just 1800 regardless of hunger.Soo??

KeirasMom 03-19-2013 10:28 AM

:o I have lost well eating whatever I want, just within my calorie limits.

sterlinggirl 03-19-2013 10:31 AM

Well Heres my thoughts on this.. Are ya ready??? :hyst:
Yes for JUDDD the calories dont matter where they come from (IE candy junk food , fastfood).. But... Why would you do that your body??

Yennie 03-19-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlinggirl (Post 16324682)
Yes for JUDDD the calories dont matter where they come from (IE candy junk food , fastfood).. But... Why would you do that your body??

:goodpost: What Kim said.
I came off Atkins and my first few UDs were a junk food carb fest but within my calorie limits. Still lost. However I now find myself wanting healthier foods - its what I crave. I still have treats for sure not no longer the free for all it was post-Atkins.
Maybe its more time on JUDDD but I feel better and I think I run better on healthier food.

LoCarbGal 03-19-2013 10:34 AM

I think that JUDDD doesn't care one little bit about what the calories are.

That said, I find that lower carb type foods keep me more satisfied than carby ones do, most especially on DDs. That's just me. So while it may "work" just as well any which way you eat, you gotta feel satisfied and follow what your body tells you too.

Kimberli33 03-19-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

I dont know if your asking me personally:confused: or just making a statement...So I will answer in case you are addressing me:dunno:,I wouldnt do that to my body..not on a day to day basis anyway but I do like fast food and sweets at times.I just wondered what majority thought.Im not sure if I believe all calories are created equal and just curious as to other opinions.:)

Kimberli33 03-19-2013 10:39 AM

Huh,interesting.I am shocked that it doesnt seem to matter for most of you.I'm sure it did for me as I didnt eat tons of calories before lcing and gained anyway.Now,I got MORE to think about..lol

sterlinggirl 03-19-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberli33 (Post 16324700)
I dont know if your asking me personally:confused: or just making a statement...So I will answer in case you are addressing me:dunno:,I wouldnt do that to my body..not on a day to day basis anyway but I do like fast food and sweets at times.I just wondered what majority thought.Im not sure if I believe all calories are created equal and just curious as to other opinions.:)

:hugs::shake::love:
No attack intended.. by the way :) The nice thing about this woe is.. if you need that peice of choclate cake,, you can have it and not derail your hard work,, like some of the other stricter plans.. Thats the beauty of JUDDD.. No off limit foods:)..
I my self will indulge in a special treat from time to time.. But i make sure its not the norm for me.. IE.. Deep fried fish,, i love love it,, :heart:

Kimberli33 03-19-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 16324686)
:goodpost: What Kim said.
I came off Atkins and my first few UDs were a junk food carb fest but within my calorie limits. Still lost. However I now find myself wanting healthier foods - its what I crave. I still have treats for sure not no longer the free for all it was post-Atkins.
Maybe its more time on JUDDD but I feel better and I think I run better on healthier food.

Lol...mine were too.I think it was that deprived kid in the candy store syndrome:o Anyway,I dont just want to lose weight but improve my health as well...so working on smarter choices from here forward.

Kimberli33 03-19-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlinggirl (Post 16324710)
No attack intended.. by the way :) The nice thing about this woe is.. if you need that peice of choclate cake,, you can have it and not derail your hard work,, like some of the other stricter plans.. Thats the beauty of JUDDD.. No off limit foods:)..
I my self will indulge in a special treat from time to time.. But i make sure its not the norm for me.. IE.. Deep fried fish,, i love love it,, :heart:

:shake:Alls fine,just wanted to make myself clear(sometimes im not in written form),Im not looking to live off oreos and doritos...;) but I must say It sure is odd(but good) to be able to have my cake and eat it too,so to speak.Still wrapping my head around that concept.Feels like Im cheating,somehow.:stars:

KeirasMom 03-19-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberli33 (Post 16324725)
:shake:Alls fine,just wanted to make myself clear(sometimes im not in written form),Im not looking to live off oreos and doritos...;) but I must say It sure is odd(but good) to be able to have my cake and eat it too,so to speak.Still wrapping my head around that concept.Feels like Im cheating,somehow.:stars:

I think that's what makes this WOE so effective and sustainable. Because we CAN have whatever we want, and we can CHOOSE not to have junk.

I go through periods where I crave healthier foods, but then there are times all I want is pizza and junk. I lose the same, either way. :laugh: You have to love a plan that gives you that kind of freedom.

Kimberli33 03-19-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16324744)
I think that's what makes this WOE so effective and sustainable. Because we CAN have whatever we want, and we can CHOOSE not to have junk.

I go through periods where I crave healthier foods, but then there are times all I want is pizza and junk. I lose the same, either way. :laugh: You have to love a plan that gives you that kind of freedom.

Exactly...Feels to good to be true.I can doubt it,but then I look at your success.Great job.:notwrthy:

SlimNana 03-19-2013 11:07 AM

It may not matter to Dr. Johnson what we eat to lose weight, but for me it does. As long as I have a minimum of 50 grams of protein a day to keep from losing lean muscle, then the remainder of my calories can be made up of a variety of carbs. & fat. :up:

:) Ann

Carly 03-19-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlinggirl (Post 16324710)

JUDDD is so freeing- but it does take some time to wrap your mind around it and trust it.

Regarding a calorie being a calorie (all calories being equal): That is probably a YMMV kind of thing. For me yes. 100 calories of fat will effect my weight the same way 100 calories of carbs will. I am one that MUST count coconut oil. No freebie for me on anything. I weigh my celery and cucumbers to the half ounce. That being said depending how I feel I may want 100 calories worth of cookies (small volume) or 100 calories of celery (large volume), but the beauty of JUDDD is that you can make that choice if you want- nothing is off limits if it fits your calories.

ravenrose 03-19-2013 11:10 AM

I am convinced by the research showing a connection between sugar consumption and increased belly fat. since that is a particularly vexing problem for aging women, I think that that is relevant in spite of whether your overall weight would be different.

SlimNana 03-19-2013 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What part of our bodies the extra fat gets added to has a lot more to do with what our body type is, more than anything else. For instance: apple, pear, string bean, or butternut squash/hourglass etc. :confused:

zipp2play 03-19-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

I do agree with this statement completely. For me though, if I tended to do WHAT my body NEEDED, I wouldn't have been here in the first place. KWIM? I am learning more through JUDDD and eating more veggies than I EVER have in my life!

zipp2play 03-19-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16324690)
I think that JUDDD doesn't care one little bit about what the calories are.

That said, I find that lower carb type foods keep me more satisfied than carby ones do, most especially on DDs. That's just me. So while it may "work" just as well any which way you eat, you gotta feel satisfied and follow what your body tells you too.

I agree with this too!

That being said. Today's up day, my food "plans" got totally changed. In the beginning, I would have chucked it all, been made and ATE like there was no tomorrow. Instead, I have scrapped what was available here and am making different plans for dinner! Some days I don't flow like that and the littlest thing sets me off....I like PLANS when it comes to food. Lately though, I tend to cope better with adjustments!

zipp2play 03-19-2013 11:48 AM

Today I opted for a nice creamy salad for 285c when things went bad, what I love is with JUDDD, I could have simply had what I wanted (within reason) and not felt at all deprived!

Calorie a calorie. I think for me and JUDDD, yes indeed that is the case with all calories being equal. With other eating plans, I do not think that is the case. Does that make sense?

mom23kids 03-19-2013 12:21 PM

I eat a pretty SAD diet and have lost with no problem on JUDDD :)

Kimmietoo 03-19-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberli33 (Post 16324748)
Exactly...Feels to good to be true.I can doubt it,but then I look at your success.Great job.:notwrthy:

Yes, aren't we lucky to have these successful JB's here on a daily basis, answering questions and providing support and encouragement? Every day I am amazed at how lucky we are!

:heart::heart::heart:JBs:heart::heart::heart:

jaymar 03-19-2013 04:05 PM

Oh yes, we are blessed to have so many successful Juddder's that are willing to share their experience and knowledge with everyone...It is so amazing at the freedom this woe allows...I have a lot of health problems caused by injury..my overweight, and getting older complicates it for me too..here is what I am so excited about with this woe...it offers so much hope to me..I'm now doing things differently ..such as trying to stay completely off of sugar..and things that aggravate my pain...I have found that , for me, more meds are just not the answer...I'm off of everything except BP meds, I check it often, and it appears to be coming down slightly...I am glad to see others be able to enjoy the foods that they really like..maybe in the future I will be able to have a bigger variety..

Librarygirl 03-19-2013 04:56 PM

I thought a calorie was NOT a calorie after reading Gary Taubes. That was the day I started dieting, six months ago. Two months in of LCing, I decided I would test that theory and began JUDDD. I lost faster on LC, although I thought it was slow at the time.:hyst: So perhaps there's some truth to that, because I did not count calories while on LC. However, I am willing to count calories in order to have that pizza, ice cream or cake.:yummy: I went through what you're going through, and what others have said too, in that I tried to eat every "bad" food I could think of in the beginning of JUDDD. I still eat what I want, but have gravitated to more healthy foods in the past couple of months. :)

Avicenna 03-22-2013 09:18 AM

Of course a calorie isn't 'just a calorie'. A calorie is a unit of measurement that was developed in a lab. Even the best of scientific theories are based on idealized generalizations of the world and can't take into account all real-world factors. And this isn't even when dealing with something as complex as the human body!

Here, there seem to be 2 main issues: first, insulin is the main cause of weight gain, which is why you can eat 3,000 calories of meat and not gain as much weight as you would if you ate 3,000 calories of chocolate. This seems to be one of the main ideas behind the LC diet.

Second, the body doesn't process all types of calories with the same level of efficiency, so 3,000 calories of meat (or 3,000 calories of cucumbers) are going to result in less 'net' calories than 3,000 calories of table sugar. AFAIK more fiber also results in less calorie absorption.

However...I would guess that many people would lose weight on a restricted 1800 calorie diet of junk food coupled with intermittent fasting, although they'd probably be in a bad mood and bad health by the end.

Luv2Eat 03-22-2013 06:29 PM

When I first started JUDDD, I had many days of calories from junk food. I think it slowed my losses, but I still lost, even with some of the days UUAD's. However, the satisifaction that I got from finally being able to enjoy food like I haven't been able to enjoy it since I was a child - priceless. After a few weeks/months of this 'bad' bahavior, I'm now eating healthier. I only had fifteen pounds to lose though, so I felt that I could afford slower losses.

krow134 03-22-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberli33 (Post 16324725)
Im not looking to live off oreos and doritos...;)

Everyone should take one day of thier lives to live off oreo's and dorito's!!!!!!!! <---two of my favorite food groups by the way!!!

I save my healthy foods (veggies :sick:) for my DD's. I eat what ever makes me happy on UD's (Oreo's & Dorito's :yummy: ).

I do tend to do healthier on DD's simply because veggie calories are lower and they are more filling and if I am hungry I dont feel so guilty eating a can of pea's or something like that. Salads are good but after a while I cant even look at them. I can only do them on spurts.

THought today's DD was more than veggies.......but I was starving....like sick to my stomache starving....so I had 2 eggs scrambled, 2 sausage patties (tiny ones) and a english muffin. I am still very very hungry but fighting it, usually when I am this hungry on a DD it usually means my scale will show me a lovely number in the morning if I can hold off.

I did start a year ago a whole Free Day when my TOM comes. Gives me something to look forward too......its a no hold barred day and I will pack away what ever makes me happy....which surprizingly I dont ever go over my calories all that much........but that day usually starts with 2 or 3 or 4 chocolate doughnuts and goes from there lol!!!! :hyst: Figured might as well just give me that FD because DD or UD it will happen anyways!! Now its a less guilt thing more or less.

Luv2Eat 03-22-2013 06:55 PM

Katiebubb!! :high5: :hugs: I totally agree with everything you've said, especially the first sentence. Love your 'free' day and the chocolate donuts :D Here in the South, we call that 'Soul Food' - it feeds your soul. Life is a balance - I think you've found a :sing: equilibrium, girlfriend! :high5:

krow134 03-22-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv2Eat (Post 16331247)
Katiebubb!! :high5: :hugs: I totally agree with everything you've said, especially the first sentence. Love your 'free' day and the chocolate donuts :D Here in the South, we call that 'Soul Food' - it feeds your soul. Life is a balance - I think you've found a :sing: equilibrium, girlfriend! :high5:

Why thank you!!!! :hugs:

adillenal 03-22-2013 07:13 PM

It has taken me over a year to get eating all the junk I want on UD's over with. Seriously. I have in the past month starting eating healthier. Course over 8 years on LC certainly helped make me want a lot of stuff that I had not eaten in many years. When the flood gates opened I swam right through. I enjoyed my year and lost weight too so all is well. Now I can concentrate on fresh foods and a limited amount of junk.

Familyvet 03-22-2013 08:12 PM

It is amazing the control that this WOE gives you. I have a group of friends that often meets at our favorite restaurant. Chips and salsa has always been my weakness and it is always on the table. I take it or leave it now depending on the calories I have left. I had the salmon, broccoli and salad tonight, and it was delicious, on an UD!!!