Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Feeling "spaced out" and can't focus? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/799576-feeling-spaced-out-cant-focus.html)

tofucheez 03-17-2013 06:54 AM

Feeling "spaced out" and can't focus?

Hi all-

I haven't seen anyone mention this here, but I don't think I am alone in this (or maybe I am!). Don't any of you feel mentally "spacey" when you don't eat? At this point I don't JUDD because I can't focus when I don't eat, and that's just not an option at work. So my question is out there for all JUDDers AND non-JUDDing calorie-cutting readers out there.

I know when I was younger I could cut calories when needed to get back to my happy weight, but it seems the last few years the spacey feeling gets worse. I eat plenty of protein and low-ish carbs.

???

thanks for your thoughts!

Carly 03-17-2013 06:57 AM

I feel super sharp and attentive on DDs. I tend to feel more "spacy" after a large meal. :dunno:

Yennie 03-17-2013 08:09 AM

:( I'm sorry this isn't working for you.
I also don't have trouble focusing on DDs. I guess I don't feel any different UD to DD.
I wonder if you tweaked your carb/protein/fat ratios a bit might help. The brain feeds first on glucose, but can also use ketones for fuel. I wonder if, for some reason, you're just at that perfect spot of not having enough of either? <thinking out loud, mostly>

shepheka 03-17-2013 08:32 AM

Have you had your blood sugar checked? That is the first thing that comes to my mind. Good luck!

Kimberli33 03-17-2013 08:36 AM

Idk,I dont feel that way on dds either,unless I'm taking cold meds on an empty stomach,then I feel like I might pass out and be sick at the same time.Do you take any meds or supplements that could be causing this?? I've found I really have to limit the meds on dds and eat them w/ a few crackers or something.
also(afterthought)are you getting hydrated enough??I will feel spacey and not with it if I'm dehydrated or mineral depleted.

tobelowcarber 03-17-2013 08:53 AM

I did feel this way for the first 1-2 DD and then my body adjusted.

taghag 03-17-2013 08:54 AM

I felt that way too the first few DDs. Now I feel fine, just hungry LOL
For me DDs have really gotten better and I handle them fine.

adillenal 03-17-2013 08:57 AM

I never have felt spaced out but some DD's I feel like I am barely dragging. When I get like that I know I need to have some oat bran for breakfast rather than eggs on my UD.

taghag 03-17-2013 09:00 AM

For me it feels like a high. I felt out of body at times, detached from reality. I knew it wasn't blood sugar, in the past I would get the shakes when it crashed. Now I don't get that spacey feeling anymore. My energy levels have shot through the roof! I can't sleep at night!

piratejenny 03-17-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 16320507)
The brain feeds first on glucose, but can also use ketones for fuel. I wonder if, for some reason, you're just at that perfect spot of not having enough of either? <thinking out loud, mostly>

Exactly what I was thinking!

Maybe when you're feeling spacy, you could try slowly sipping a glass of sugar water (just a teaspoon or two of sugar) or a few ounces of milk.
If that makes you feel better, you'll know it's a glucose issue.

Or you could try taking a teaspoon of coconut oil or MCT oil or a drink with a little cream to see if fat makes you feel better.

Or you could try sipping some salty broth.
If that makes you feel better, then it could be an electrolyte or hydration issue.

Hope that helps! :hugs:

Carly 03-17-2013 09:17 AM

I have low blood pressure and that makes me dizzy- not spacy, but sometimes I really have to add salt to my diet- UDs and DDs.

Zib 03-17-2013 10:01 AM

In his book, The Fast Diet, Dr. Mosley says that studies have shown that IF is good for learning and memory, so that should improve. Mood improves as well. This is after at least two weeks.

motivatedMomma4 03-17-2013 10:37 AM

I have been doing this WOE for about a month now and I have to say, I have also had the opposite. My down days I feel sharp, and alert, and focused. The last 2 weeks, I have a ton of energy, more on my down than up actually. Are you eating all your up day calories?? There was a day where I just didnt have an appetite and ate low on my UD and was kinda feeling bleh,and yucky the next day on my DD..

LoCarbGal 03-17-2013 04:57 PM

The first 2 - 3 weeks on JUDDD, I would get really lightheaded when I stood up. Every time. A couple of times I even thought I might pass out, but didn't. I also felt slightly "detached" - I don't know how else to describe it. I knew it was because of the DD calorie restriction. I also lost my 47 year old cousin right about at 1 week after starting JUDDD, so there was that stress too of course. But it all passed and now I rarely have that. Hopefully this will just pass with time for you too.

tofucheez 03-17-2013 06:11 PM

Oh! thank you all for your replies....you made me feel so special by taking your time to offer help!

I am surprised at how many of you do not experience this. From a physiological standpoint, it seems it would be the norm, because you are in fact operating at a calorie deficit and your brain needs food to function. I guess my body just isn't converting its stored energy to "usuable" energy??

Anyway, I am glad so many of you do not have this issue. When I get like this I can be almost incoherent to talk to/can't pay attention/etc.......not good!

Thanks again for all of your thoughts :)

hot-in-texas 03-17-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofucheez (Post 16321405)
Oh! thank you all for your replies....you made me feel so special by taking your time to offer help!

I am surprised at how many of you do not experience this. From a physiological standpoint, it seems it would be the norm, because you are in fact operating at a calorie deficit and your brain needs food to function. I guess my body just isn't converting its stored energy to "usuable" energy??

Anyway, I am glad so many of you do not have this issue. When I get like this I can be almost incoherent to talk to/can't pay attention/etc.......not good!

Thanks again for all of your thoughts :)

Come to think of it, I did feel this way for an little while in the beginning. Especially toward the evening, when I would get tired. My words were a little slurred, like drunk, and I felt weak, and just had to sit down.' Also, I would get the dizziness that LCG described, like when I would reach above my head to blow dry my hair, etc. But that went away after a few weeks. Now I feel great on DDs.

Flossyliz 03-18-2013 09:01 AM

Tofucheez, have you tried acetyl l-carnitine?

L-carnitine is supposed to help turn body fat into energy. The acetyl version is also supposed to help with mental acuity. I take it first thing in the morning on DDs because I don't eat till evening. It's not very expensive and it seems to work for me.

Avicenna 03-18-2013 09:39 AM

I had that problem before I started Atkins, which I did for about 6 months before starting JUDDD. I think that helped sort out blood sugar issues (although I only lost 15 pounds on it) and it made it a lot easier to transition into JUDDD, even though I stopped doing low carb once I was on JUDDD.

However, I should say that I am most focused when I eat most of my calories in the middle of the day. Otherwise I used to lose focus by the end of the day.

Rayne_W 03-19-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofucheez (Post 16320385)
Hi all-

I haven't seen anyone mention this here, but I don't think I am alone in this (or maybe I am!). Don't any of you feel mentally "spacey" when you don't eat? At this point I don't JUDD because I can't focus when I don't eat, and that's just not an option at work. So my question is out there for all JUDDers AND non-JUDDing calorie-cutting readers out there.

I know when I was younger I could cut calories when needed to get back to my happy weight, but it seems the last few years the spacey feeling gets worse. I eat plenty of protein and low-ish carbs.

???

thanks for your thoughts!

There have been many days, some of them DDs and some of them UDs, where I am completely flatlining mentally...

.....like today! :p And it's an UD, too!

I have absolutely no idea why it happens, but it is truly maddening. I have to be mentally sharp for work (I know, who doesn't?), and when I feel my brain unplug, I know it's going to be a really long day.

And no, this did not happen to me on Atkins.

tofucheez 03-20-2013 05:27 AM

Thanks for your feedback, Rayne. I'm sorry you get it on your UD, too. I only get like this on low cal days....I guess I should consider myself lucky, then!

ouizoid 03-20-2013 07:09 AM

I get terrible brain fog and spaciness, but it is not because of DD's--I have an autoimmune condition. Sometimes my allergies will totally trigger it as well. Are you sure that it is the lack of food triggering it? Could be something else.

KeirasMom 03-20-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 16326191)
I get terrible brain fog and spaciness, but it is not because of DD's--I have an autoimmune condition. Sometimes my allergies will totally trigger it as well. Are you sure that it is the lack of food triggering it? Could be something else.

This is what I was thinking too. I get brain fog and spaciness when my hormones or thyroid are not working optimally. I actually get pretty severe transient aphasia and I'm sure it's because of my thyroid. It gets to the point where I'm in tears trying to remember words or have a simple conversation. You might want to get checked out for other issues, just in case.