Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
The Gabriel Method has lots of mind games...er, I mean, exercises!
He (Jon Gabriel) is such a positive and compassionate guy.
I just requested his book from the library to refresh myself.
He has lots of relaxation "sessions" that you can download for free.
Personally, I dislike feeling "hypnotized" or doing visualization exercises so I stopped listening to them a while ago, but I'm sure many people find that approach helpful.
One of the concepts I like about the GM is that he says your brain can interpret your weight-loss efforts as "stress" and it only has 2 ways to defend against that:
make you thin (so you can run away from danger more quickly) or
make/keep you fat (so you can survive famine).
His exercises are aimed at getting your subconscious/primitive brain to respond differently so that you get thin!

My brain hasn't cooperated thus far, but I think it's so cool!!!
2014:
6/29 282.8
7/07 280.2
7/09 277.8

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-16-2013 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: punctuation
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I'm wondering how you know how much powdered l-glut to take. I still haven't gotten in the habit of taking it regularly, but I have a huge tub of it. The directions say a teaspoon, but I've heard you should take more (helps with alcohol cravings too).
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I'm wondering how you know how much powdered l-glut to take.
I don't really understand your question?

My tub says 1 tsp=5 grams.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh ok. I wasn't looking at the bottle. How many times a day do you take it?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, I just wasn't sure if you were asking how much you should take, or how much is too much, or....? lol

I take it (when I remember!) 2-5x day.
Probably 3 on average, but I've taken it up to 5x with no tummy troubles, headaches, or any other problems (YMMV).

Taking it after workouts (for recovery) and before bed (increases growth hormone, prevents catabolism [body breaking down muscle for fuel]) is supposed to be especially beneficial. If you work out really intensely, taking it before/during workouts could be good, too.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Ok, I just wasn't sure if you were asking how much you should take, or how much is too much, or....? lol

I take it (when I remember!) 2-5x day.
Probably 3 on average, but I've taken it up to 5x with no tummy troubles, headaches, or any other problems (YMMV).

Taking it after workouts (for recovery) and before bed (increases growth hormone, prevents catabolism [body breaking down muscle for fuel]) is supposed to be especially beneficial. If you work out really intensely, taking it before/during workouts could be good, too.
I will definitely need it for that!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Mojo, I found it helped me when (a) I acknowledged tp myself "I have a broken metabolism. I am never going to be my sister, who can whatever whenever she wants. For me, UDs have to be planned and controlled just like DDs. ... Although I will have special occasion free for alls when the occasion really is special." and (b) when I really pay attention to how I react to various foods - not just eating frenzy triggers, but do I eat and be satisfied for several hours? If I even find myself thinking about food an hour or two after eating, I assume something I ate is a trigger I need to be careful and experiment with. For example, I can eat fruit an hour or so after a meal, but I cannot eat it completely stand-alone - too great a risk that once I start I won't stop... or I will progress to DH's M&Ms.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Nancy, I eat fruit with 1% greek yoghurt, it's my favourite, I dip sliced pear, apple and white flesh peach in the tub..drool... and I crave it, dream about it for my UD so it could be a trigger - maybe too many carbs despite the protein. My greek yoghurt is 17% protein and low fat; wonder if that and fruit is a bad combo? In any case, pears weren't helping, I craved them and they made me bloat. I have to go back to LC basics - meat which I've avoided on JUDDD as it's higher calorie and I preferred to use my calories on fruit/yoghurt. As soon as my gut felt full it triggered something, to keep eating even if full - that's why I think grehlin. I may be better off eating one meal a day on UD's, just have some fat during the day and then a high calorie but low dense meal; something that won't fill the gut. Maybe my stomach just likes the empty feeling of a DD, I don't know I'm at a loss.

I've been researching the hormones, because what is happening is beyond any kind of willpower issue and I think it's the grehlin because...I couldn't stop eating on UD's..to the point where my stomach distends like I am 9 months pregnant and it is painful. The major cause of problems with grehlin/leptin is lack of sleep and this is so true in my case; I have had low quality sleep for a while now. So I need to get my sleep in order (first priority); also for the leptin/grehlin I need to take the fish oils and magnesium religiously every day, increase my exercise so I can sleep better, I can't eat bulky foods that fill my gut and cut down on the caffeine (again to help the sleep). In the meantime waiting for my ptero to arrive and hopefully...I can get my eating and weight loss back in line.
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/115-120
Mojo- fruits and yogurt is what I crave too (in my case during PMS). Once I start on fruits and yogurt that's where I go into full blown binge eating nuts and honey all day long. I think increasing meat on UD is a good idea. You can also eat fish and eggs.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Mojo- fruits and yogurt is what I crave too (in my case during PMS). Once I start on fruits and yogurt that's where I go into full blown binge eating nuts and honey all day long. I think increasing meat on UD is a good idea. You can also eat fish and eggs.
Fruits, nuts, yoghurt and honey...we sound just like birds Marika... we're not Grok..we are Polly the Parrots. I read somewhere that nuts take us back to Grok days when we crunched on insects...gross....

Yep I feasted this weekend and I'm reved up to start again; thank you to all the Juddders here, I can't leave this group for anything. This time eating fat, meat, fish and eggs on UD's - going for fat throughout the day and one meal but won't feel bad if that doesn't happen; and making sure not to overeat or overfill stomach; eliminating yoghurt and fruit for the week to see if they are triggers; being kinder to myself in respect to sleep; get back into exercise (not for fat loss but for the endorphines). I'm not going to worry about calories on uDs for now, just get the eating back in order, goodness knows my calories were astronomical on UDs as it was, I'm sure the meat/fats won't be much more. Feeling so much more positive already
Old 03-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Mojo, it does sound like something is seriously out of balance in you!

I think going back to LC (or LC/IF in some pattern) and working on a reset is a good idea. (I encourage you to read about Leptin reset as well as Ghrelin.) Once a carb mechanism is broken, it needs to be balanced.

If that does not help, it may be time to talk to a doctor.

Yep, I tend to be prefer fat, veggies, and fruit myself. But, experiments over the last year convinced me I do need protein every day. I have to remind myself many days unless we are eating at a good steak place.

Health first!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
Fruits, nuts, yoghurt and honey...we sound just like birds Marika... we're not Grok..we are Polly the Parrots. I read somewhere that nuts take us back to Grok days when we crunched on insects...gross....

Yep I feasted this weekend and I'm reved up to start again; thank you to all the Juddders here, I can't leave this group for anything. This time eating fat, meat, fish and eggs on UD's - going for fat throughout the day and one meal but won't feel bad if that doesn't happen; and making sure not to overeat or overfill stomach; eliminating yoghurt and fruit for the week to see if they are triggers; being kinder to myself in respect to sleep; get back into exercise (not for fat loss but for the endorphines). I'm not going to worry about calories on uDs for now, just get the eating back in order, goodness knows my calories were astronomical on UDs as it was, I'm sure the meat/fats won't be much more. Feeling so much more positive already
Good luck, I've been following your posts. (And Marika's too)I hope cutting out the yogurt and fruit and adding in things like eggs, and ham, sausage, bacon or other meats will help do the trick, and not eating until full.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Mojo~
I'm glad you've got a plan to move forward. It sounds like a good one to reset for you. I don't know if any of my tricks would help but one thing I do when I mentally know I'm full but my body is still trying to send hunger signals is get out of the house. I go outside, go for a walk, play with the critters, anything to give me something else to do physically. Sometimes that helps.
Another thing is something I learned doing Yin yoga. I'm quite itchy & fidgety naturally and the quickest way to get me to fidget and itch is to tell me I can't. The goal of Yin is to get into and hold a pose, without moving, for 3-5 minutes. Itch central! My instructor says "Take 3-4 breaths and if it still itches, you may scratch it." Since yin breathing is a slow 6 count in, hold 6, breathe out 6 and hold 6, 4 breaths is really actually quite a long time. So, I've tried to apply those principles to eating as well. If I think I'm hungry (even though I know I'm not) I'll drink a big glass of water and say "Ok, if you're still hungry in 15, 20, 30 min..." Often by time my self imposed time limit rolls around, I've totally forgotten about it and moved on. However, I should add that setting a timer did not work for me as I'd forget about it until the alarm went off and then I'd be like - hey! I waited 20 minutes so now I get to chow! Counter productive.
Finally, I wonder if you might benefit from Carly's approach and simply not have the foods in your house? Tough if you're not living along but maybe an option for damage control while you take the time to properly sort your other issues?
We're all pulling for you dear!!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I always do the 20 minute thing that Yennie recommended. At most of my work meeting there are tons of goodies on the conference room table. Some times they are just calling my name. I look at my watch and say "If I still want this so bably in 20 minutes I'll have it." Only 1 time did I ever have to extend it to a second round of 20 minutes. The craving always passes or I just forget about it totally. That works at work, but at home I might still remember if it was in the house.

I also have way more will power prior to 7pm. Again this helps not having stuff at home that I'd rather not eat.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html

Last edited by Carly; 03-17-2013 at 09:42 AM..
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:13 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

At the end of many (but not all) twenty minutes I have greatly enjoyed a special treat I knew I really wanted.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Quote:
Flossy ..... I wish it wasn't called an UD, for me it should be a normal diet day - not a normal no-diet day.

Fruit is a major problem, nuts of course and I think dairy is a problem as well - both are foods that are difficult to stop at one......
Mojo, I'm glad you're feeling more positive today. I've been away this weekend, hence late reply.

Nuts can be allergens but let's face it, they're horrendusly more-ish as well as high calorie. I put weight on very quickly when I tried LC and decided it was because of the nuts. Eating veg instead of fruit and cutting out dairy are an obvious place to start.

I had leptin/ghrelin problems a few years ago. I would eat and then feel absolutely miserably ravenous within a couple of hours. The book "Mastering Leptin" by the Richards, showed me to always "pin down" carbs with enough protein and to leave as many hours as possible between meals without snacking, going a bit longer every day till I could do at least four hours between meals. It took a few weeks but I've never had the ravenous problems since, thank goodness!

You're looking for mind tweaks. Some people doing 5:2 call their UDs "feast days" because it makes them feel less deprived. That would certainly have me reaching for the chocolate and the potato chips!!!!!

Why not call yours NDs (normal days?) - because you should be eating the number of cals that's normal for you? Or you could call them NDDs (normal diet days) if you are happier to be "on a diet" all the time - some people rebel against the restriction. We all have our different foibles!

I hope you find what works, Mojo.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #47
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Moho I have just read this all the way through and I am so pleased that you are moving forward with a plan.

We so don't want to lose you, I especially love your fields of lavender. (Or lavender coloured flowers.)
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/212/180
Mojo, I'm glad you're exploring ways to make a plan work for you--I had to take a break from JUDDD because of some binging issues; I'm on Fast-5 now and for some reason, it seems to work much better as far as controlling what I'm eating....this JUDDD BUDDD group is the BEST, and someday I may get back to the rotations, but for now, I just gotta do what works.

Best of luck in whatever direction you head--so many WOEs out there, and one of them will be a perfect fit.
Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Kissa those fields of lavender are the Bridestowe Estate in Tasmania Australia. This was a few days before harvest. It doesn't compare to the fields of France haha. I was surprised there was no heavenly lavender scent but the plants have to be crushed for that.

Moral of this woe about my WOE is I jumped on scales this morning and the scale was not my friend. A weekend of "normal" eating and too many uncontrolled UDs have reaped their unpleasant results. My choice is to make UDs work or put on weight and shut up. So yesterday had a DD and today eating protein and no fruit. UDs are normal diet days for me and that is my mental tweak.

Floss I love Byron except I don't like that he sells supplements, but his five rules are gold. I've been reading Dr Js book again as well as Rosedale. Rosedale favours snacking and nuts so not good for me, but good reading nevertheless. I'm back on JUDDD...thank you to everyone, I hope others struggling have gotten something from this thread. Juddd budds rock!

Apologies sent from my phone on a train and I can't seem to be able to delete the crying animation above without risking the whole post xx
Old 03-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Good to have you back and happy Mojo!
I hope your new strategem does the trick.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:41 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

I'm going MIA for a little while. I need to burrow like a rodent underground and lose this last bit of weight and get my butt of the computer and forum. I think JUDDD is amazing but for me it will be for maintenance. I'm struggling with the bingeing mindset on a 300 DD and just eating too much on the UD's and it's been affecting me in a negative way and being noticed by my family. I've tried and tried to control the UD's . If I did maintenance then that will bring that day up to over 500 calories and that will be better for me. I congratulate all you juddbudds who can do this and lose weight; you are made of tougher stuff than me and you are truly superwomen. I'm going to lose this last bit of flab and I will be back to bore/annoy you in maintenance. Happy juddding and ...I vill be back...as someone once said
Old 03-27-2013, 03:42 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/225/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
Interesting thread, I can draw a lot of Parallels with the OP, and reading through has sent me off to look at various things to the point I have a plan.
My Problem also, is that once i start...
So going to do some combining, Juddd leangains style, so DD and UD will mean no food until 6pm, but I will vary the calorie intake after 6pm for DD and UD's. May also make all meals LC to start.
Have to do some thing major, or I can see myself regaing the whole 64 lb lost! (gained 20+ already).

Not for long!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Kettleboy; 03-27-2013 at 04:16 AM..
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/115-120
Mojo- good luck to you. We will be here whenever you are ready to jump back on JUDD wagon.
You know you can always do 5:2 or 4:3 to see if this helps with UD overeating or you could try increasing your DD calories. Some people loose nicely on higher DD calories, they don't have to be in 300.
I have recently gone very low carb and been able to control binging. Although the time will tell as I only have binging problems during PMS. Going VLC decreased my appetite to the point that I have a hard time sometimes to eat all my UD calories.
Take care and stop by anytime.

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 03-27-2013 at 03:54 AM..
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:28 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Marika, I've always related to your posts and struggles and I will follow your progess with interest. I'm going to get rid of this weight with an old tried and true method for me and to clear the bingeing cobwebs out of my head. I hate being like this and feel like it's bordering on an ED because it's consuming my thoughts 24/7.

Kettleboy, I was reading a poster here somewhere who was also bingeing on JUDDD and transferred to Fast-5 with relief from the bingeing. I'm not sure if that would be a solution to bingeing for us types as it's still famine/feast and I would have major concerns of overeating in that evening window. But breakfast has always been a no-no for me, once I start and get that full feeling in my gut that's the trigger, so in some ways I HAVE to fast; it's just a matter of tweaking it to make it work. Maybe not eating all day and knowing I can eat at the end of the day may work for me; it's this mindset of ADF where on the UD I feel I gotta eat because I can't tomorrow. Or should I just do three small meals a day; but then I obsess about meals; I just want to stop obsessing about foods and meals.

Congrats by the way on giving up the Diet Pepsi. It's addictive stuff and all those bubbles in the gut..ack...I hate that full feeling.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/212/180
Quote:
Thanks Marika, I've always related to your posts and struggles and I will follow your progess with interest. I'm going to get rid of this weight with an old tried and true method for me and to clear the bingeing cobwebs out of my head. I hate being like this and feel like it's bordering on an ED because it's consuming my thoughts 24/7.

Kettleboy, I was reading a poster here somewhere who was also bingeing on JUDDD and transferred to Fast-5 with relief from the bingeing. I'm not sure if that would be a solution to bingeing for us types as it's still famine/feast and I would have major concerns of overeating in that evening window. But breakfast has always been a no-no for me, once I start and get that full feeling in my gut that's the trigger, so in some ways I HAVE to fast; it's just a matter of tweaking it to make it work. Maybe not eating all day and knowing I can eat at the end of the day may work for me; it's this mindset of ADF where on the UD I feel I gotta eat because I can't tomorrow. Or should I just do three small meals a day; but then I obsess about meals; I just want to stop obsessing about foods and meals.

Congrats by the way on giving up the Diet Pepsi. It's addictive stuff and all those bubbles in the gut..ack...I hate that full feeling.
That might be me you're referring to with the binge/JUDDD/Fast-5 issue. Don't ask me why it is, but I'm having no binge issues on Fast-5 so far....on JUDDD, I was hitting drive-thrus every other day, and thinking constantly about what and how much I was going to eat on my up days. My mind isn't on food as much now...and that's kind of a miracle to me. My eating window is Noon-5pm, and that's been so easy for me, because I technically get to have lunch AND dinner, and a decent portion size to boot! I'll probably come back to JUDDD eventually, when I reach maintenance....but right now, Fast-5 is my long-lost WOE (and I've done so many WOE's and tweaking that I was really getting frustrated.)

Good luck in whatever direction you turn....honestly, things will click--it takes a while for some of us. Don't give up!

Hopeful that tracking my progress will keep me focused! http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...d-journal.html
Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #56
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Good luck Mojo! Only you know what you need to do, and I'm glad you can do it. Come back for sure though! We'll miss ya!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Mojo-I hope this tweak witll help you get to your goal. I will miss your posts, I love your sense of humor! Hope to see you back again soon with a success story!
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #58
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
We'll be thinking of you and hope you find time to post you successes sometimes.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote