Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
My MAINTENANCE Potato DD Experiment

I have had several questions about what I am doing with the potato thing so I thought I would share. I capped maintenance since I am certainly not suggesting anyone that hasn't JUDDD'ed for awhile to try this.

I love UD's but my maintenance calories are only 1586 and that is not a lot of wiggle room for the things I like to eat. I have maintained by having super low DD's but really don't want to spend the rest of my life eating 250-300 calories every other day.

Enter the potato. I have been doing potato DD's for awhile now and eat 800 calories or more of potatoes each DD. Every time I am hungry I eat a cold boiled Yukon Gold. Once a day (usually dinner) I treat myself to microwave potato chips with ketchup. I am using Hunt's no high fructose corn syrup ketchup although it contains sugar. If I am super cold on a DD I might have a chopped up potato in some chicken broth. I am still drinking coffee with HWC at breakfast.

UD's are averaging 1800 to 2000 calories. I usually include one potato meal such as a baked potato with lowfat cottage cheese and salsa. I am trying to use more fat like butter on my veggies on UD's and I cook my eggs in coconut oil. I have naturally eaten very little meat lately. Not sure why. Just have not desired it but it has not been intentional. Had tuna on my menu one day and could not force myself to tear the pouch open so I had a baked potato instead. Maybe I am burned out on tuna. Wonder how long it will take to burn out on potatoes??? I am making some chili with home raised ground meat so I will be using some of that on my baked potatoes during the week. But otherwise eggs, cottage cheese and yogurt are my main source of protein right now. That will probably change as I get bored with dairy.

DD's are easy since I do not have to plan a thing. Just have to keep boiled potatoes in the frig and remember to take them to work with me.I am sure my local store wonders why they suddenly have an upsurge in Yukon Gold sales.

I can eat this way for a long time and since I am not gaining and in fact I have actually dropped a little weight it is worth eating nothing but potatoes every other day. No hunger and it works. In fact I was down this morning after an UD probably since I had cold boiled potatoes for dinner last night as I had a doe kidding and could not take time out to cook anything so I grabbed a few potatoes out of the frig. I even ate them much later than I normally have dinner.

Hope this answers all of the questions and if not just ask away. I try to buy the smallest potatoes and they average 2-3 oz cooked so I can kind of keep up with the calories per day.

My thanks to all that have contributed to the information about the potato hack. I would have never known to try this without all of the sharing of information. AND here is the best part of all. All of those cold potatoes seem to have helped me keep my UD's under control. I am the Queen of UUAD's anyway. It is a wonder I ever lost 40 pounds much less been able to maintain the loss with the number of over 3000 calorie UD's I had. Gotta love those super low calorie DD's though.

I LOVE JUDDD and all of the JUDDD BUDDDs that share interesting information.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Thanks Adi. Glad it's working well for you!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Thanks for the info!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Farm Gal
WOE: Fast-5
Start Date: March 2013
Thanks for sharing Adi! Looking forward to trying a PH a few months down the road!
Farm Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
that's good info ADi, and good to know, thanks. I have been wondering if UDs need to be potatoes only too, and with your success, it seems not. I bet you are also getting a lot of protein from the potatoes you eat, a medium sized Yukon gold has 4 grams
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Adi, thank you so much for the update!!

I don't think I've been JUDDDing as long as you have, only about 6 months. Have also called maintenance, but if I want to keep from gaining the weight back, will always have to practice dietary diligence.

Like you stated - I've been wondering, too, how long I could keep up with low calorie DD's every other day. Although I love a semi fasting day regularly, eod can wear one down after a while. Therefore, I've been waiting to hear your report, and I must say, am delighted with your results so far!!!

In celebration of your happy report, I've declared today to be a potato dd - have weighed them and will consume a bit more than my normal dd calories.

Thank you to all JUDDD potato hack trailblazers!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Thanks for putting it all down in one place for us, Adi. I have been watching your menus and your weight creeping down with so much interest. I too am totally sold on the potato thing. I think I may have to start doing PDDs too. I'm so used to my protein/fat DDs, but I love taters, and your experience has me really thinking! Thanks again!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Adi, how long have you been doing potato only DD's? Do you switch out with regular calorie restricted (other than potato) DD's? 800 calorie DD is luxurious. . . . sounds like a doable long term plan!
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Very cool!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Thanks for sharing. Something to think about for maintenance.
Jbinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Eat View Post
Adi, how long have you been doing potato only DD's? Do you switch out with regular calorie restricted (other than potato) DD's? 800 calorie DD is luxurious. . . . sounds like a doable long term plan!
I started off doing eggs and coffee with HWC for breakfast and then counted calories and only had that many potatoes. Then I gradually increased the potato calories and then just went to coffee and potatoes on DD's. I do all DD's at 800 or more now and shcoked me that I am maintaining with the higher calorie UD's too. Potatoes really are magic.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Great thread, Adi. I think of you as the potato guru now. I want to start this WOE very soon, or at least give it the old college try. I hope to start on Sunday (DD).

Last edited by Librarygirl; 03-13-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
I thank you too, Adi. .I also noticed that you use the gluco...I just placed my first order with Netrition, and am getting a bag because I can't find it locally..I am hoping that helps me with the hunger on dd's..
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I'm a copycat!

Based on Adi's success, I've also been doing potato DDs. I tried a hack but bailed by the end of the 2nd day.

I don't count but I think if I did weigh them out, I'd be around 5-600 cals. The calc says my DDs should be 440. (Thinking about this, for the science of the results, I should know my calories.)

My 3 PDD staple meals are:

1) Potato soup: using 1 part canned low sodium chicken broth and 2 parts water, I boil 2-3 peeled russets in the stock, seasoning to taste. Occasionally I'll chop a few stalks of celery as well. When the potatoes are soft, I pull out about 1/2-3/4 of a potato, put it in my bullet blender and blend. Added back, it thickens the soup to more of a cream of potato consistency. I'll start a soup in the morning of a DD and leave it on to simmer all day, helping myself to a bowl whenever I'm hungry.

2) Russet "baked" in the microwave. Then I wet it with chicken broth, add salt and sometimes A-1 sauce. Yum!

3) Yukon golds "baked" in the microwave then mush with salt & A-1. Also very yum!

I can't handle them cold. They really upset my stomach. I'm not diabetic so I'm not worried about glucose issues. I find them to be very satisfying warm.

The only other thing I would add, based on the way *I* eat them, is be sure to drink lots of water. I add a LOT of salt to them (to everything, really) and if I don't drink enough water I retain water like crazy due to the amount of salt I use.

We have a lemon water thread and a salt thread. I'll try to find them and link them here.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Adi - just saw HEB has 1.5 lb little tiny 'smart bite' potatoes for $5! The flyer has two pictures - one looks like yukon gold babies, the other looks like baby: yukon golds, reds and some darker, almost purple baby taters. I should go to the store this afternoon. . . .
Old 03-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Adi - just saw HEB has 1.5 lb little tiny 'smart bite' potatoes for $5! The flyer has two pictures - one looks like yukon gold babies, the other looks like baby: yukon golds, reds and some darker, almost purple baby taters. I should go to the store this afternoon. . . .
Oh thanks there is an HEB across from the feed store. I will stop in
Old 03-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
This particular store did not have any of those BUT they had 5# sacks of golds for $2.98 each and 10# sacks of russets for $1.97 each. So I have 30 pounds of potatoes. Two of each. I am storing the russets in my frig in my soap kitchen since I will never make it through those before they sprout. I have been buying 3# bags for almost $4.00 a bag. Thanks for the hint or I would have not gone to the HEB but I got a few other things. Can't believe how much cheaper everything is in Bryan compared to my local grocery.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Old 03-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

AND the russett potatoes were grown in Texas. Lone Star Brand. I feel so loyal now.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Adi I had my first potato DD on Saturday and then I weighed Sunday morning and had almost a 2 lb. loss! Idk if it was the potato or the fact that my DD was under 200. But nonetheless I was so full and didn't get hungry the rest of the day!
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBM View Post
Adi I had my first potato DD on Saturday and then I weighed Sunday morning and had almost a 2 lb. loss! Idk if it was the potato or the fact that my DD was under 200. But nonetheless I was so full and didn't get hungry the rest of the day!
That is great to hear. I am a potato convert for sure. I am still doing potato DD's. I have increased my potato DD calories (including 100 for HWC) to 1000 and still maintained but I am trying to keep them around 800 which lets me lose a tiny bit at a time but coffee with HWC (100 calories) and then 700 calories in potatoes makes for very pleasant DD's.

Plus my favorite black pants (which fit perfectly 2 weeks ago) are loose today. Very loose and I really haven't lost on the scale.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
That is great to hear. I am a potato convert for sure. I am still doing potato DD's. I have increased my potato DD calories (including 100 for HWC) to 1000 and still maintained but I am trying to keep them around 800 which lets me lose a tiny bit at a time but coffee with HWC (100 calories) and then 700 calories in potatoes makes for very pleasant DD's.

Plus my favorite black pants (which fit perfectly 2 weeks ago) are loose today. Very loose and I really haven't lost on the scale.
Yay Adi! I bought some dress slacks yesterday and I've been wearing an 8, but I bought 6's because the eights are slowly getting loose. It was a happy day! When I have a 200 cal DD if I eat around 6 I'm usually hungry again by 7:30 or 8. I was so full after the potatoes I couldn't believe it. And they were so yummy. I think that's the most satisfying DD I've had on JUDDD.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Oh and I bought the little golden potatoes to try today. The russets were good, but I'm thinking those little golden ones will melt in your mouth. I also bought some molly mcbutter for added flavor. I'm so excited about this because I enjoyed my DD so much better!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Adi....when you have your coffee with HWC on DDs do you then wait several hours before your first potato meal? I remember reading somewhere that you should wait and wondered if you did. I have learned to drink coffee black but still prefer to at least have cream on UDs.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Adi. Love hearing about your success!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
Adi....when you have your coffee with HWC on DDs do you then wait several hours before your first potato meal? I remember reading somewhere that you should wait and wondered if you did. I have learned to drink coffee black but still prefer to at least have cream on UDs.
Yes, I have the HWC early like at 5:30 or 6am and then lunch at 12 or after. On some of my DD's I have eggs, coffee with HWC for breakfast and then potatoes the rest of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Adi. Love hearing about your success!
Thank you. If you had not posted about the potato DD hack I would have never tried it. My frig always has cold boiled potatoes now and they are my snack of choice if I am starving, I grab one and eat it with salt and go on about my chores.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Thanks for posting Adi! This is interesting to see how successful the Potato DD's have been for you. I agree that the potatoes are magic. They have become my DD food of choice too and I frequently have them as a meal on UD's as they control my hunger the longest out of any food that I have tried. I have also found my food preferences have changed since doing the potato hack. I now eat more vegetables and have been craving eggs, sour cream and yogurt (which I didn't even like before the potato hack). I am eating very little meat and almost no grains now too. I have been surprised at how effective the potatoes are so It was nice to read that you are finding them so helpful too. I still have no idea why I am eating different foods now. I don't understand how eating more potatoes would change that but the two happened at the same time for me.

Last edited by Babsbabs; 03-23-2013 at 04:08 PM..
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Babs,
How long did you hack for? I've yet to do more than 1 potato day in a row but I'm contemplating really buckling down and hacking this upcoming week. It will be easier as DH is back on swings so when I get home from work, I only have to worry about dinner for me & the monkey.
Anyway - my point...after hacking did you see a bounce when you went back to regular rotations? I was also considering a Stillman's hack but I'm afraid if I do that, I'll see a major bounce when I go back to eating normally on JUDDD rotations which would kinda defeat the purpose of the hack.
Thanks!!!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
Thanks for posting Adi! This is interesting to see how successful the Potato DD's have been for you. I agree that the potatoes are magic. They have become my DD food of choice too and I frequently have them as a meal on UD's as they control my hunger the longest out of any food that I have tried. I have also found my food preferences have changed since doing the potato hack. I now eat more vegetables and have been craving eggs, sour cream and yogurt (which I didn't even like before the potato hack). I am eating very little meat and almost no grains now too. I have been surprised at how effective the potatoes are so It was nice to read that you are finding them so helpful too. I still have no idea why I am eating different foods now. I don't understand how eating more potatoes would change that but the two happened at the same time for me.

Babs. I had exactly the same experience. Meat became undesirable and I mostly have wanted veggies and eggs. I believe at least some of this is because potatoes have so many micronutrients including protein. Such a remarkable shift
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
Makes me feel a little better since my meat consumption has dwindled and my frig is full of yogurt, sour cream and salsa instead. I have a freezer full of beef and pork which I am cooking for DH but rarely eat anymore myself. I was wanting pork chops, so I thawed and cooked and then did not want one. Had yogurt instead. And I eat eggs everyday and sometimes even want them for dinner. That is good since I have a lot of eggs from my hens.