Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Difference of JUDDD & 5 2? Lots of newbies wanna know. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/799238-difference-juddd-5-2-lots-newbies-wanna-know.html)

Shinleaf 03-11-2013 05:02 PM

Difference of JUDDD & 5 2? Lots of newbies wanna know.

No I havent bought the books. Harder to find precise info. Im sure its been discussed here, so maybe you could point the way?

Does anyone do 4 3 with any success?

Thx

Librarygirl 03-11-2013 05:30 PM

The major difference is that JUDDD is fasting every other day, and 5:2 is only 2 fast days a week with more than one UD in a row. 5:2 recommends 2000 calories a day for women, with 2 500 calorie fasting days a week. JUDDD's numbers are over all considerably lower, depending on your age/weight/height.

leonak 03-11-2013 05:34 PM

I am doing 5/2 with JUDDD #'s; 2 DD and 5 UD. If i ate 2000 calories a day i would gain!!! I like the JUDDD #'s because it takes into consideration, my age, height, etc. 5/2 says the "average" person will loss 4 # a month. Many on JUDDD lose more #'s in a month then on 5/2.

mom23kids 03-11-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16310268)
The major difference is that JUDDD is fasting every other day, and 5:2 is only 2 fast days a week with more than one UD in a row. 5:2 recommends 2000 calories a day for women, with 2 500 calorie fasting days a week. JUDDD's numbers are over all considerably lower, depending on your age/weight/height.

Yep, what she said :)

In the IF (intermittent fasting) world, JUDDD or alternate day fasting would be the strictest form. 5:2 would be a step lower and then fasting windows would be below that (most commonly the 5 hour window or the 8 hour window). I've experimented with them all and I definitely saw the biggest, most consistent weight loss with JUDDD. However, I'm interested in a JUDDD/5:2 hybrid for maintenance, probably starting next month.

Librarygirl 03-11-2013 05:38 PM

I haven't read 5:2, but it assumes you are considerably overweight (hence, 2000 calories). If you are only slightly heavier than "normal", then of course your numbers would have to be adjusted. :)

gotsomeold 03-12-2013 03:44 AM

All of the IF WOEs (and LC and, yes, even PH the Potato Hack) work because your body activates sirtuin enzymes while going into ketosis (preferentially burns fat for energy) (yes, JUDDD newbies with leftover ketostix, check on a DD, some of you will see pink).

Every body is different. The pattern that works for one person can be too little or too much for another...leading to weight gain, stall, or the degraded health/energy of the dreaded starvation mode.

JUDDDs steady up/down seems to work best for many bodies. But any pattern that fits your lifestyle is worth trying. JUDDDs calories - calculated based on your probable resting metabolic rate (RMR) are very, very effective.

I suspect weight loss would go better if you started with something like JUDDD or LC to activate the SIRTs more quickly, then transitioned to the less rigorous 5:2, Fast 5, etc, etc. But it really does depend on your personal metabolism.

I lost well on JUDDD. And I am maintaining with one strict DD every three or four rotations (the rest of my DDs are higher but usually at or below my calculated RMR).

SlowSure 03-12-2013 04:20 AM

In the UK, 5:2 was popularised by Dr Michael Mosley. He sometimes answers questions on Twitter. A number of UK food and science writers who follow 5:2 are on Twitter as well.

Dr Mosley tells people that in addition to the 2 fast days, he doesn't eat lunch on most of the other 5 days. However, he does this because he specifically wants to hold a below 'average' weight to check its metabolic advantages for a lower disease burden, longer life etc.

Carly 03-12-2013 05:16 AM

I lost very well with strict eod rotations. I maintain with 4:3.

Farm Gal 03-12-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 16310794)
All of the IF WOEs (and LC and, yes, even PH the Potato Hack) work because your body activates sirtuin enzymes while going into ketosis (preferentially burns fat for energy) (yes, JUDDD newbies with leftover ketostix, check on a DD, some of you will see pink).

Every body is different. The pattern that works for one person can be too little or too much for another...leading to weight gain, stall, or the degraded health/energy of the dreaded starvation mode.

JUDDDs steady up/down seems to work best for many bodies. But any pattern that fits your lifestyle is worth trying. JUDDDs calories - calculated based on your probable resting metabolic rate (RMR) are very, very effective.

I suspect weight loss would go better if you started with something like JUDDD or LC to activate the SIRTs more quickly, then transitioned to the less rigorous 5:2, Fast 5, etc, etc. But it really does depend on your personal metabolism.

I lost well on JUDDD. And I am maintaining with one strict DD every three or four rotations (the rest of my DDs are higher but usually at or below my calculated RMR).

:goodpost:

Kissa 03-12-2013 01:35 PM

All answered. :)

Zib 03-12-2013 01:56 PM

Just FYI - I understand from the ABC new interview with Dr. Mosley that PBS will be showing his BBC special, "Eat, Fast, and Live Longer" in the Spring, so keep a look out for it.