Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
To weigh or not to weigh, that is the question

I thought I had the JUDDD calm, but it's wavering! I'm wondering if I should try not to weigh for awhile.

Background: A typical loss for me has been about 7 lbs. a month throughout my weight loss journey. The last few months have been slower. I was thrilled to lose just over 5 lbs in December because of all the challenges. January was a very slow month (2 lbs), but I was doing "JUDDD light" (a bit of fatigue?) so I was OK with that. In Feb, I was back to my regular routine, and lost 4.7, still on the slow side, but OK. In March? I kicked it up to high gear, with calories counted and at the right levels (or less, but not too much less), increased exercise, lower carbs, healthier choices ... best I've ever done. And I am stuck, not yet back to my February low, even. My calories are updated to my current weight and I'm using "no exercise" numbers.

I know in my head that if I stick with it, the scale will eventually follow, but right now the lack of reward at the scale for what has been extra hard work, pretty much the best I've ever done, is just . I guess it has to do with my expectations.

I'm thinking about not weighing for a week or two, but it's such a part of my routine now, I don't know if I can! In the past, numbers either way have motivated me and the scale has reminded me each morning of my mission!

and what if I stayed off the scale and still didn't lose? I don't know how I'd handle that. Maybe I need to know, good or bad.

On the other hand, if I had no scale, I would be feeling so great about what I've been doing and feeling healthy and slimmer, so that is making me think maybe I should try to avoid it for a bit. (Even knowing I might be slimmer and am definitely healthier no matter what the scale says should help, but it's still frustrating) Just in the last two days I've been exercising LESS (is exercise the culprit?) and eating MORE (it doesn't work anyway) because of the scale, which is ridiculous.

What do you think? Scale or no scale?
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Peersonally I weigh every day, write it on my calendar and go about my life. Just my routine. A habit like UD/DD.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Print out the post "Why the scale can lie" and tape it to your wall so you see it every time you weigh.
Exercise = muscle, muscle weighs more than fat so no change in the scale means you're losing fat & gaining muscle pretty equally.
Measure - pants or tape measure. Neither lie.
In the past, a bounce or lack of loss would derail me. Now I use the scale as just one way to measure progress. My scale might not be moving but the measuring tape is.
Finally you come here so we can remind you of how much you've already accomplished - YOU'VE GOT THIS!!! The evil scale will catch up and reward you soon.
Be sure you're well hydrated too

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
This is such a tough one! I feel for you! all I can share is my experience. Every single time I take a "scale vacation" I gain.

If I allow myself to relax a bit and do "Judd Light" (Love your phrase!) at least I maintain or only gain a pound or two.

You need to decide if you are one who needs the discipline and wake up call of the scale. For me, I think I go into denial or kind of a self-deception about what I'm eating and how much I'm eating. So, the scale keeps me honest.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Evie1978
Stats: 275/215/150
WOE: Exercise/Diet lost 60 then stall/JUDDD 3/2013
Start Date: March 2013
I'm not planning on weighing in until after my induction which is March 21 and then after that I'm not sure if I will do every 2 weeks or once a month. Kudos to those of you who can, but I could NEVER weigh in daily as the natural fluctuations of the scale frustrate me too much. As long as I see a downward trend with my once or twice a month weigh-in I will be happy. If I have stalled or gained I will adjust and go from there.
Evie1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
I just want to give you an enormous and . I totally and completely understand where you're at and what you're saying. I am in the same predicament. However, as yamster said, in the past, when I don't weigh on the evil beast, it doesn't serve me well. I'm still tempted, though, b/c I'm getting SO angry at it every morning.

The scale is EVIL! It bites!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRR You are doing WONDERFUL things for your body, just remember that love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
I know this is going to sound crazy, but I don't lose weight when I do too much cardio. I just don't. Maybe if you increased your weight training and decreased anything aerobic you might see a change. I'm obviously not trying to say that exercise is not good for you. It is, but if it seems like something was working for you and then it stopped, sometimes you might want to revisit what was working for you and see if it helps. Also the whole JUDDD theory goes against everything I've ever learned but if you burn too many calories and don't eat them back it could cause a stress response that puts you in a status quo. Since its all a learning process, try a few things for a week at a time, whatever, and see if it helps break your stall. I know it can be frustrating.

I think some people have suggested that HIIT is good but I can't remember right now.

Otherwise toss out the scale and do what you do. If its disheartening you, it can't be good.

Last edited by brewstate; 03-10-2013 at 01:22 PM..
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: motivatedMomma4
Stats: 180/147/140
Start Date: Feb 19 2013
I personally have to weight at least every other day. It keeps me accountable and keeps me motivated, but that is me. I personally would be even more discouraged if I waited a week or 2 and didnt see any movement or it went up. I guess, everyone has there own preference. Big Hugs to you!!! I hope you start to see some pay off for all your hard work!! you are doing great!! Im sure whatever you decide, you are going to continue to do a great job ,and the scale will catch up with you!!!!!!!!
motivatedMomma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Evie1978
Stats: 275/215/150
WOE: Exercise/Diet lost 60 then stall/JUDDD 3/2013
Start Date: March 2013
Elise - I'm the total opposite lol! I HAVE to workout if I want to lose. I'm not sure if it would be the same with this diet, since I've only just started induction, but the only times I've ever been really successful with losing have been when I was on a good workout plan. I've been back at the gym for a while now so hopefully won't see a gain like the newbies to the gym, my body is used to the abuse at this point. LOL
Evie1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm just sending . I say keep weighing, but don't let it dictate your mood or how your day will be. Have you tried a pair of small pants on. Those inches tend to be melting even when the scale won't budge.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm not really doing anything new in exercise -- just going a bit more regularly than I'd been doing *lately* but the same as I was doing last summer/fall when I was losing well. What is new is cutting down on carbs, which led naturally toward eating fewer calories ... I was just less hungry. So I am now often about 200 cals under my number on up days, which I was thinking would be a good thing, but maybe not.

Carly - I just outshrank my pants and got two new pairs last week, and don't have any smaller ones. Maybe I should go out and get a pair a little too small. I do measurements once a month also ... probably will stick to that schedule.

I will probably keep weighing daily and just try not to be so annoyed

Last edited by calichris; 03-10-2013 at 03:45 PM..
Old 03-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Its crazy how we are all so different. Just a word of hope Chris... with JUDDD it always seems like just when I get the most frustrated, most ready to throw in the towel and eat everything in site that I see a major difference in something, pants size, measurements, weight, whatever, but it always seems to me that when things look the most discouraging, pretty soon the bright horizon will be on its way
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstate View Post
Its crazy how we are all so different. Just a word of hope Chris... with JUDDD it always seems like just when I get the most frustrated, most ready to throw in the towel and eat everything in site that I see a major difference in something, pants size, measurements, weight, whatever, but it always seems to me that when things look the most discouraging, pretty soon the bright horizon will be on its way
Totally agree
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
CHRISTINA Christina
guess what I'd do?
YES U KNOW ME.
I refuse to let the scale tell me if I'm happy or not.
and
Seriously, I have been weighting more than I have in my life.
That such caz Im eating small small portions, and no the scale is n my favor 131 ish lately.
I just love seeing it hang out there. Its like watching a tv rerun. SURPRISE...not.
Ditch the scale for one week, do ur JUDDD best.
Terri
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
(quote) "I just outshrank my pants and got two new pairs last week." (Christina)

Christina, what's wrong with that??? You sound to be doing great to me!!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
I'm not really doing anything new in exercise -- just going a bit more regularly than I'd been doing *lately* but the same as I was doing last summer/fall when I was losing well. What is new is cutting down on carbs, which led naturally toward eating fewer calories ... I was just less hungry. So I am now often about 200 cals under my number on up days, which I was thinking would be a good thing, but maybe not.

Carly - I just outshrank my pants and got two new pairs last week, and don't have any smaller ones. Maybe I should go out and get a pair a little too small. I do measurements once a month also ... probably will stick to that schedule.

I will probably keep weighing daily and just try not to be so annoyed
When I lowered my calories before my body was ready to, I stalled. IIRC, it was only like 100 calories per UD and that little amount was enough to stall me. I say, keep doing what you're doing, weigh or don't--totally up to you and what you feel will serve you best, but EAT up to your UD calories. Especially with the exercise.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
(quote) "I just outshrank my pants and got two new pairs last week." (Christina)

Christina, what's wrong with that??? You sound to be doing great to me!!
Thanks ... I know I should focus on those kinds of things right now, but then I get on the scale and don't understand what I'm seeing. The funny thing is I have been JUDDDing since July, so I'm used to slow scale weeks and am normally very ok with them. I think it's just the combination of my extra effort and the hopes/expectations that went with it that is getting to me? and maybe I have a tiny little fear that this is going to stop working. If I keep going at the rate of 3 pounds a month as I've averaged the last two it will take me another two years, four months to reach goal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
When I lowered my calories before my body was ready to, I stalled. IIRC, it was only like 100 calories per UD and that little amount was enough to stall me. I say, keep doing what you're doing, weigh or don't--totally up to you and what you feel will serve you best, but EAT up to your UD calories. Especially with the exercise.
Really? Hmmmm .... good to know. Between having fewer calories on both up days and down days and more exercise, I wonder if maybe it was just too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eieio View Post
CHRISTINA Christina
guess what I'd do?
YES U KNOW ME.
I refuse to let the scale tell me if I'm happy or not.
Terri, that is good advice. Normally this comes easily to me, but ... all the things I wrote above. I'm going to try though! Just having a moment.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Really? Hmmmm .... good to know. Between having fewer calories on both up days and down days and more exercise, I wonder if maybe it was just too much?
If you are doing low carb, I would start adding more butter/ evco to veggies/meat to get the cals up. One more thing, I completely stalled out at about 8 months into JUDDD as well. I even became stricter with my rotations and I reached the conclusion after reading all of the paleo forums that my body was ready for a maintenance break and that maybe I should have been doing a few more along the way.
It almost seems like when I changed to daily 16 hr fasting that it helped me break out of the stalled. I don't want to say how long I was stalled, but it seemed like it was more than a month.

On exercise, I have read so many on the IF sites say that weight training while fasted is the absolute best. I find that it works for me in the morning, I just wish that I had been doing something every morning previously. Hang in there, you are going to get this worked out!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
If you are doing low carb, I would start adding more butter/ evco to veggies/meat to get the cals up. One more thing, I completely stalled out at about 8 months into JUDDD as well. I even became stricter with my rotations and I reached the conclusion after reading all of the paleo forums that my body was ready for a maintenance break and that maybe I should have been doing a few more along the way.
It almost seems like when I changed to daily 16 hr fasting that it helped me break out of the stalled. I don't want to say how long I was stalled, but it seemed like it was more than a month.

On exercise, I have read so many on the IF sites say that weight training while fasted is the absolute best. I find that it works for me in the morning, I just wish that I had been doing something every morning previously. Hang in there, you are going to get this worked out!
I'm learning a lot from this thread ... thanks for the experience/info Sunday! It would be hard to weight train in the AM on work days, but I could try weight training on a couple DDs a week before dinner and save cardio mostly for UDs. And eat all my up day cals if I'm exercising.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Chris, I could have written your post,except for the fact that I haven't been here very long..but I know for me, that I stalled when I did not get the ud calories in., and messed up on the dd's too...today was the first time I have actually felt good on a dd in three weeks...it's been tough to figure out, so I had to try different things...like for me, going to long on a dd didn't work...I tried not eating til afternoon on ud's and dd's...nope..so finally, I think I'm close to getting off the stall....I make sure to take the resveratrol everyday...stay at my 500 or lower on dd's...and I do keep the carbs low on dd's for sure..I decided to wait , if I can, four days before weighing.and that will be after a dd....I'll let you know if I am back to losing..but I feel so much better..like I did when I first started..we are all so different, and I have found out so much about how my body works and you will also..whatever you decide about the scale will be something that will work for you..I personally can't do the everyday, so I am compromising and saying four days...I really understand how you feel...You've been getting some great advice on here, so hopefully you will break the stall soon and that mean old scale will be moving on down..
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #21

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Some very wise suggestions here Christina. I think you will work out what to do for the best. So many times I see the UD calories slipping closer to DD cals and this is seldom a good thing.

You should,be trilled that you are down in your pants size. Have you posted that on the NSV thread? We must remember to share out joy as well as our frustrations. It keeps everyone of us motivated.

Weightloss, sadly, is never linear! You'll be fine.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Chis, Some days, I only get in a 10 min kettlebell before I have to get ready for work and then I do my aerobic (jog/rebounding) after work. I strive for about 20-30 minutes of weights and toning every morning.

It is not necessary to do weights daily, so just doing DDs would be perfect.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Christina, I just hate that you're feeling so frustrated!

You're getting good advice here, and I won't add anything except my gut confirms what Dawn said, which is try eating a little more on UDs. Or have an UUAD day and see if that kicks you out of this stall. Your body may just want to be reassured that food is plentiful.

As for the scale.......I just don't know. At this point I think it's keeping me on track and motivated, but if it was stalling out for long periods of time, I might want to give it a break. And new smaller pants! Take that as the proof it is that you're getting smaller, even if your weight isn't showing it! And really, if you were given a choice of wearing size 6 jeans and having the scale say 200, vs having the scale say 120 and wearing 18s, which would you choose? A little farfetched maybe, but you get my point. You're doing great!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Just sending my support. I hope it turns around soon, soon, soon for you - you deserve it!!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:18 AM   #25

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
OMG I just saw that LCG has lost 99.5 lbs, we are getting ready for a PARTY!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #26

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
I agree with Kissa (on so many things but today about LCG)!! LCG you are doing so great. I love watching your numbers just continue to improve! INSPIRATION!

Christina - When I turend 38 I saw a therapist about my relationship with food/scale/such. I then, with her help, went about 2 1/2 years without weighing. There were times in those years I know I put on weight, but times I lost. I did it to RID myself of giving the SCALE all power. When I first started JUDDD last year, I weighed backwards on it and my DH noted the changes. I only even did that once a week. One day something happened and I saw the number. Since then, I weigh once a week, AT MOST! I am more than a number. Be it BIG or SMALL! It doesn't work for all, but it has been very freeing for me!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...rt-2-a-20.html
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
I agree with Kissa (on so many things but today about LCG)!! LCG you are doing so great. I love watching your numbers just continue to improve! INSPIRATION!

Christina - When I turend 38 I saw a therapist about my relationship with food/scale/such. I then, with her help, went about 2 1/2 years without weighing. There were times in those years I know I put on weight, but times I lost. I did it to RID myself of giving the SCALE all power. When I first started JUDDD last year, I weighed backwards on it and my DH noted the changes. I only even did that once a week. One day something happened and I saw the number. Since then, I weigh once a week, AT MOST! I am more than a number. Be it BIG or SMALL! It doesn't work for all, but it has been very freeing for me!

The reason that I quit weighing daily had more to do with this than anything. I was so sure with IF and it's benefits, that the discouragement that I would tend to have when seeing the same numbers seemed so pointless/defeating. Once a week, sometimes twice, I weigh, but I don't fret to see the scale ever. Very freeing. I know that I am more than the number and it will never have the power that I once gave to it.

Last edited by sunday; 03-12-2013 at 08:39 AM..
Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #28

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post

I know that I am more than the number and it will never have the power that I once gave to it.
This is where I am at too! I was just so tried of the XXX dictating how my day would go. 38 years was long enough giving it POWER! GO GIRL
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LCG!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Great thread!

Chris-- I'm not exercising (aerobic, yoga, weights, nothing) till I get down in weight quite a bit. I am one of those who just doesn't lose (on the scale) when I exercise, and I do get hungrier, so this go around, I'm waiting.

I think you already have a good plan in place, so I think just mentally schooling yourself not to get disappointed by the scale, which is hard for me too, is the best plan.

b/c you are doing awesome and if you are shrinking OUT of you pants (which of course, don't lie) that is pretty much the key thing!

LCG OMG WTG KUTGW!!!! LOL
WOO HOO!!!

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote