Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Evie1978
Stats: 275/215/150
WOE: Exercise/Diet lost 60 then stall/JUDDD 3/2013
Start Date: March 2013
Newbie here! LOTS of questions!

Hi ladies!!

I have not weighed myself yet, but am planning on doing it on April 1st. I have become so frustrated with the scale lately and I'm going to avoid it for now. I've been going to the gym 5 days a week and am currently on my second down day. I totally screwed up my first one, I estimate about 700 cals...today I am sitting at just about 300 for the day so I've got enough room for dinner later. I plan on having steamed asparagus (10 stalks for 40 cals! yay!) and a piece of baked fish. I'm super excited to browse through the forums and get inspired! I do "feel" like I may have dropped a couple of pounds, but I'm not sure. On docs website with my stats it says I need to consume 677 on down days after the first two weeks and 2709????? on my up days. That's for 25%....How on EARTH am I going to eat 2709 calories in a day??

I have gotten the DD headaches for sure. I feel like I might be working on one now...

I have been supplementing with fiber capsules to help with the hunger pangs, it seems to be helping today. I tried to eat half of a fullbar on my first day, and it did help, but I couldn't help but mourn the loss of calories due to it. I'd rather have the food. So I figure I'll give fiber a try and see if that helps. Has it worked for anyone else?

Ok, I think I was thinking this diet through incorrectly. Are we supposed to alternate days EVERY day? Or can we sustain this diet on a m/w/f -dd and t/th/sat/sun -ud type schedule? I think I would actually prefer the every other day plan because that would give me more UD during the week every other week haha. Plus I vary my workouts at the gym according to what day it is, on UD I do 60 min vigorous cardio plus strength training and on DD I just limit it to 30 mins moderate cardio...only downside is that having a DD on saturdays might be tough, my little one loves to call sat nights "take out night" but we will have to alternate between fridays and saturdays from now on I guess...

I'm really looking forward to connecting with you all on our journey to better health!
Evie1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Evie: ! I have a question for you. Oops. Phone ringing. BRB
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Howdy Evie! Your calories look high to me. Wanna share your current height, weight and age? I can take a look at the calculator for you. You might not have changed cm to inches and kg to pounds - we all do that!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie1978 View Post
Hi ladies!!

I have not weighed myself yet, but am planning on doing it on April 1st. I have become so frustrated with the scale lately and I'm going to avoid it for now. I've been going to the gym 5 days a week and am currently on my second down day. I totally screwed up my first one, I estimate about 700 cals...today I am sitting at just about 300 for the day so I've got enough room for dinner later. I plan on having steamed asparagus (10 stalks for 40 cals! yay!) and a piece of baked fish. I'm super excited to browse through the forums and get inspired! I do "feel" like I may have dropped a couple of pounds, but I'm not sure. On docs website with my stats it says I need to consume 677 on down days after the first two weeks and 2709????? on my up days. That's for 25%....How on EARTH am I going to eat 2709 calories in a day??

I have gotten the DD headaches for sure. I feel like I might be working on one now...

I have been supplementing with fiber capsules to help with the hunger pangs, it seems to be helping today. I tried to eat half of a fullbar on my first day, and it did help, but I couldn't help but mourn the loss of calories due to it. I'd rather have the food. So I figure I'll give fiber a try and see if that helps. Has it worked for anyone else?

Ok, I think I was thinking this diet through incorrectly. Are we supposed to alternate days EVERY day? Or can we sustain this diet on a m/w/f -dd and t/th/sat/sun -ud type schedule? I think I would actually prefer the every other day plan because that would give me more UD during the week every other week haha. Plus I vary my workouts at the gym according to what day it is, on UD I do 60 min vigorous cardio plus strength training and on DD I just limit it to 30 mins moderate cardio...only downside is that having a DD on saturdays might be tough, my little one loves to call sat nights "take out night" but we will have to alternate between fridays and saturdays from now on I guess...

I'm really looking forward to connecting with you all on our journey to better health!
Evie!!

First of all, you did not "screw up" on your first DD! Most of us had to start higher and work our way down. 700 cals is very good to start out.

Secondly, you might want to lower your percentages to 20%, which would be less calories (and faster weight loss). Nearly all JUDDDers will recommend following the little to no exercise percentage, unless you are training for a marathon or do rigorous physical labor on your job. It's your choice, of course, and if you feel you need more calories, you can always add them later.

You can do fixed rotations (MWF DDs), or alternate every day. Dr. J recommends ADF, which is every day alternations, but some people do fixed rotations with success.

Good luck, and hope to see you around here often!

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Hi ladies, thanks for the responses, I did remember to change kgs to lbs and so forth, the first time I did it the numbers were SO outrageous I figured I did something wrong...I work out ALOT and maybe that is why it gave me such a high number. I just redid it saying little exercise and it changed it to 2380 UD/476 DD...that seems more realistic...although that 2380 is still pretty bad...kind of missing that 677 DD number though...LOL...
Old 03-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

OK, here's the question: On the calculator on Dr. J's website, did you remember to change the cm and kg to lbs and inches? It makes a big difference and you can get wrong numbers. I made that mistake in the beginning until someone gave me a heads up.

Most of us just alternate days. It seems to work faster.

However there are some who must do the set DDs every week like M-W-F.

One thing you could do every now and then (say once or twice a month) when you really need a Saturday to be an UD is change your rotations. Don't do it too often or you might slow your progress.

The correct way to do it is to insert a Medium Day (MD) after a DD. So, say Thursday is a DD but you really need Saturday to be an UD. You would make Friday a MD.

It's pretty important to keep the order correct. It's always DD-MD-UD when changing rotations. That's because a DD after a MD is really tough to do because your body might not be fueled enough.

Oh, and to calculate your MD calories, just add your DD + UD calories and divide that number by 2.

So glad you are here!!! And, I vote that you should weigh yourself tomorrow morning and not wait. I know people who did not weigh at first because they didn't want to face the scale. Later when they wanted to talk about how much they lost (proudly!) They had to estimate or add 5 pounds or something and always say they wish they would have weighed!

You don't have to tell anyone. Just do it, jot it down somewhere and tuck it away until you want to reference it in the future. JMHO

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Yep, those new calories sound more in line and I think will give you better loss results. You'll have to see how it works for you and play with it. We've all had to experiment on ourselves to some extent! Yep, I understand about liking that higher DD number. But you can start out there and work your way down, like Yam-Yam mentioned.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taghag
Stats: 136/120-5'2",48YO
WOE: WheatBelly,JUDDD
Start Date: 3/4/13
I am on a DD today too. Just ate a bag of Miracle Noodles rice to tide me over. One of the reasons I pushed off JUDDD'ing was headaches. So far, knock on wood, I haven't had one yet. I just feel real spacey, almost a sort of "high".

I agree with Yam-Yam on weighing. I started doing JUDDD Monday and weighed yesterday, lost 3 lbs!! Even if it is just water weight seeing the scale move again is motivation to keep at it!
taghag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Looks like you got some good answers!

Some people find at the beginning it's just too difficult to do 20% or 500 calories on DDs. So, they start out at 700 or 800. There are a few who lost fine at that number so just stayed with it. (I'm thinking Linda, Beeb, is one if my memory is correct).

I've also heard that the spread should be at least 1000 calories. So, if you find that it's hard to stick to the 20% number you got, for the first 2 weeks until the SIRT1 gene is activated and the sirtuin enzymes flowing, give yourself permission to go up a little. Some people add 50 calories at a time if their DD is tough. You could even write down the different numbers. 25%, 30%,35% and so on. I think all the way up to 45% is considered WLM although you will lose slower than you would at the 20%.

It's all about getting the sirtuins flowing so they can work their magic. So, work those DDs!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I'm usually pretty good at self control but this woe is certainly putting that to the test haha! After my first dd I was so shocked that I DID NOT want to eat half the things I fantasized about eating while on the dd...i just seemed to get so full so fast and had to force feed myself at points because I didnt want to eat too few cals, but came NOWHERE near my ud goal. I will have to make a trip to mcdonalds or something haha...problem is i LOVE vegetables and I start my day off with a low cal "protein" shake every morning and it is so filling that it is hard to eat an additional 2200 calories....
Old 03-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
I'm usually pretty good at self control but this woe is certainly putting that to the test haha! After my first dd I was so shocked that I DID NOT want to eat half the things I fantasized about eating while on the dd...i just seemed to get so full so fast and had to force feed myself at points because I didnt want to eat too few cals, but came NOWHERE near my ud goal. I will have to make a trip to mcdonalds or something haha...problem is i LOVE vegetables and I start my day off with a low cal "protein" shake every morning and it is so filling that it is hard to eat an additional 2200 calories....
We just figured out a McDs small shamrock shake is like 500 calories and a large is like 900 calories- there you go
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taghag View Post
I am on a DD today too. Just ate a bag of Miracle Noodles rice to tide me over. One of the reasons I pushed off JUDDD'ing was headaches. So far, knock on wood, I haven't had one yet. I just feel real spacey, almost a sort of "high".

I agree with Yam-Yam on weighing. I started doing JUDDD Monday and weighed yesterday, lost 3 lbs!! Even if it is just water weight seeing the scale move again is motivation to keep at it!
Are you drinking lots of water? Dehydration can cause headaches so be sure and drink up! Plus, water flushes out the fat.

You are so right about the weighing and the motivation! I came back from 3 weeks of being totally off JUDD. The last week was Palm Springs vacation and we ate out, sometimes several times a day and snacked constantly. We got back Sunday and I was not going to weigh myself on Monday morning because I didn't want to know how bad it was. I could feel how tight my stretchy jeans were and one pair of pants I could not button!

I'm glad I changed my mind. I got on the scale 6:30 a.m. Monday morning and But, it really, really motivated me. I had gained 10 pounds in 3 weeks! I knew a lot of it would be water weight from eating pizza AND potato chips the day before.

That was Monday. Today I've lost 7 of those 10 pounds!! JUDD is magic! On Tuesday and Wednesday I was in the little girl's room A LOT getting rid of way more water than I drank, so I knew the water weight was getting squeezed our of all my tissues in my body. I've kept it pretty low carb this week with lots of lean protein because I wanted to jump start the process.

Just glad I peeked at the scale and weighed each day. Very encouraging.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taghag
Stats: 136/120-5'2",48YO
WOE: WheatBelly,JUDDD
Start Date: 3/4/13
I drink a TON of water! Last DD I did 72 ounces. I have my trusty bottle with me at all times. Have also made more bathroom trips then I ever did when I was pregnant!! LOL

Good ol Palm Springs
I am a San Diego native, been here in Joplin for 4 years. I miss my weather!!

Sorry for the thread jack!
taghag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taghag View Post
I drink a TON of water! Last DD I did 72 ounces. I have my trusty bottle with me at all times. Have also made more bathroom trips then I ever did when I was pregnant!! LOL

Good ol Palm Springs
I am a San Diego native, been here in Joplin for 4 years. I miss my weather!!

Sorry for the thread jack!
My son and his wife and kids live near Pasadena. DIL's Mom and Dad live in San Diego. It's soooooo beautiful there! I live in northern California. Our weather is supposed to warm up soon. I can't wait!!! Can't wait 'til we can use our pool. I'm so anxious to start swimming and using my water weights again.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
If the 2200 is your number for 20% WLM with no exercise try your best to hit it at least 1 UD per week, but try to hit it as often as comfortable, because your body will adjust and that wont seem like that much in a month or so. Also as you lose that number goes down, but if you keep your metabolism revved up by eating on UDs you'll be able to get away with a little more at goal. That is what I've found any way. My UD is now 1580 or so, but I can eat a bit more than that by keeping DDs really low and because my body is accoustom to getting a bunch of calories every other day and seems to use them well.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

So it wont mess up my weight loss if I consistently work out? I mean ladies I am burning like 800 cals or more on my vigorous days at the gym...60 mins hardcore cardio plus strength training...im worried that if i burn all those calories off at the gym that my uds will REALLY be screwed up! I almost feel like exercise might be bad for this woe? or do i eat even more to compensate for the burned cals? I'm confused...
Old 03-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
So it wont mess up my weight loss if I consistently work out? I mean ladies I am burning like 800 cals or more on my vigorous days at the gym...60 mins hardcore cardio plus strength training...im worried that if i burn all those calories off at the gym that my uds will REALLY be screwed up! I almost feel like exercise might be bad for this woe? or do i eat even more to compensate for the burned cals? I'm confused...
Start w/o adding calories for exercise, if after 2-3 weeks you are having issues you can add them back, but I would not start with them in the equation. I never add back calories I worked so hard to burn. I have an eliptical and bike now and am thrilled that I can bump up my exercising. I'm in maintenance, but still don't want to eat my calories back. As humans we really over-estimate what we burn when we exercise as well. Even little devices that are suppose to help you track what you burn seem quite inaccurate.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I have never eaten back calories either...worked to hard to eliminate them! lol....(although I wonder if you can get away with it on down days?...won't experiment with that until I've lost my first 30 teehee!)...but I was thinking with the way the diet works, if I'm not taking in enough net calories will it still be effective? It seems that when people don't eat enough cals, their weight loss stalls. I'm just curious if I'm burning hundreds of cals at the gym, is that taking away from my overall count for the day?
Old 03-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
I do think you should weigh yourself too. Just as a measurement tool for your progress.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote