Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
I use only olive oil, coconut oil and butter in cooking, but I still use Crisco Shortening in my cookies - is this a bad one I also save my bacon grease and use that for frying potatoes! i suppose that is a no, no because of the salt and such - think?
Leona chuck out the Crisco and use butter for your cookies. YUM!!!!

I used to make healthy "cookies" for my children with leftover pastry made from wholemeal flour and cold-pressed sunflower oil. I'd add some dessicated coconut and a scant teaspoonful of sugar, roll out and cut into shapes etc.
I must confess though that my growing kids weren't allowed much sweet stuff other than fruit or organic fruity yogurt, so this was a real treat for them!

Bacon grease is great for frying potatoes because it doesn't turn into a trans fat - and because it tastes good!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/116/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
We had turkey the other day and it was very rich, I baked it and skimmed off some of the fat before I made gravy,now have this fat in the freezer ( about 3/4 of a cup ), what can I make with this? I'm thinking

I have tried making cookies with butter, but Crisco makes crispier cookies I think If I switch to oil, what kind?
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Oh, you know, the difference between butter & Crisco (as far as crispiness goes) might be that Crisco is 100% fat and butter can be something like 15% water.

If you make ghee/clarified butter, the water evaporates and what you're left with is 100% fat. Just melt the butter and simmer it for a while, then pour it through a fine-mesh strainer.

I wouldn't really know which oil to recommend...I just meant that if Crisco is made out of hydrogenated soybean (or whatever) oil, liquid soybean oil would be less processed and slightly less unhealthy.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Leona, Google "Spectrum shortening" and you will see what I use for frying and some baking. I also find it at Whole Foods. I fondly call it "Crisco that won't kill you."
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I too like a lower carb type diet. I do feel better without grains although oat bran and oat groats are sometimes part of my diet. I love fresh veggies and being able to slather them with butter BUT doing all of that can make for VERY high calorie counts and that is why I think I just maintain on Atkins. I found that out when I started tracking calories when I started JUDDD. Won't mention what my former calorie counts were for a regular day. It is a wonder I did not weigh more than I did.

After HCG we were supposed to eat high fat foods. I ate lashings of fatty meat, ox tails, butter and CO on everything, chicken thighs, steak fried in CO - no wonder after a time the weight was creeping up - the calories must have been astronomical. It is also a wonder I didn't weigh more.
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
I could never lose weight on Atkins but could maintain very easily. I have no problems with the Atkins diet. I think part of the problem is the many people that do not follow the Atkins protocal correctly and it ends up being a high protein diet.

When I read, I just skip over the parts I do not agree with and go on. I do not beleive I have read any kind of self-help or diet book that I agreed 100% with. That does not mean I did not get good information out of that book.
My thoughts exactly!
shirlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
I'll take the softer cookies with the butter flavour.

However, you can buy ghee in large cans like olive oil. It's good for cooking because it has a high smoking point but not much flavour. It keeps well.

Baking with oil insead of hard fat, I used to drizzle it into my food processor till the right consistency was reached - a bit like making mayo. Don't bake nowadays though.

Last edited by Flossyliz; 03-12-2013 at 09:12 AM..
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

I cannot find "Spectrum shortening" where I live, but my local store does have "lard", would lard be ok for cookie baking?

I just read on some of the "things" i have in the cupboard, and most have either the word hydrogenated or partly hydrogenated in them!

For many years now I have just looked at the words "saturated fat" on labels!

DH has too high a cholsterol count, but mine are excellent the doctor told us, just confusing!

Thanks all for the words of wisdom!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Yes, lard is good.
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #40
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Lard is great for baking and makes The.Best.Piecrust.ever.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
...my local store does have "lard", would lard be ok for cookie baking?
The only lard I've been able to find in my area (Goya and Armour brands) is partially hydrogenated, so I haven't been buying it. Possibly better or at least no worse than Crisco, but I just save bacon fat, strain it, and use it when I need lard. It makes the *best* pie crust and biscuits!!! OMG, the biscuits!!!!

My son & a lot of my friends are vegetarian, though, so I personally wouldn't ever make cookies with lard, but I bet they'd be good!

Is there any reason you wouldn't want to use butter or ghee in your cookies?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
The only lard I've been able to find in my area (Goya and Armour brands) is partially hydrogenated, so I haven't been buying it. Possibly better or at least no worse than Crisco, but I just save bacon fat, strain it, and use it when I need lard. It makes the *best* pie crust and biscuits!!! OMG, the biscuits!!!!

My son & a lot of my friends are vegetarian, though, so I personally wouldn't ever make cookies with lard, but I bet they'd be good!

Is there any reason you wouldn't want to use butter or ghee in your cookies?
Just got back from the store and sure enough the lard also says the words I have high-lighted! The reason I do not use butter in my cookies is because dh has high cholesterol and Crisco said " no cholesterol" on their label! I will switch to butter, that would be better

When you use bacon grease for pie crust, can you taste the bacon? I also say the store has coconut oil, that would be even better I think but the price is rather high

Thanks All!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I have lard to be in my freezer from when we butchered our hogs last year. All I have to do is render it but I just haven't gotten around to it. The processor thought I was odd wanting the fat trimmings in a bag. You can buy the pork fat at some butcher shops or markets and do your own. Not that many people want to go to that much trouble.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #44
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Lard... I can't stand the word... It's probably delicious though.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have lard to be in my freezer from when we butchered our hogs last year. All I have to do is render it but I just haven't gotten around to it. The processor thought I was odd wanting the fat trimmings in a bag. You can buy the pork fat at some butcher shops or markets and do your own. Not that many people want to go to that much trouble.
I too have renderd ( spelling???) pork fat and made lard, I even have a cookie recipe for Crackling Cookies!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
The reason I do not use butter in my cookies is because dh has high cholesterol and Crisco said " no cholesterol" on their label! I will switch to butter, that would be better

When you use bacon grease for pie crust, can you taste the bacon? I also say the store has coconut oil, that would be even better I think but the price is rather high

Thanks All!
Oh, this could be another huge discussion like the saturated fat one, but cholesterol is another one of those things there is a lot of misinformation about.
Hormones are made from cholesterol. And our livers only make about 75% of what we need.

SO--if your husband's doctor has told him to "watch his cholesterol", I don't mean to contradict him or anything. But using butter or lard instead of vegetable shortening (Crisco) might possibly lower his cholesterol, even though it contains cholesterol, because vegetable oils cause inflammation and that is what can actually raise cholesterol.

Cholesterol in 1oz of butter: 60mg
Cholesterol in 1oz of lard: 27mg

http://www.carbsmart.com/10-reasons-...olesterol.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mer..._b_676817.html
--------------------
Bacon fat doesn't taste smoky or very salty to me.
I strain it through cheesecloth...most of the salt seems to be in the brown crusty stuff that sticks to the pan when you cook the bacon.
---------------------
I almost suggested coconut oil yesterday!
It would be delicious!!!
But you're right, it's a bit expensive. Especially in grocery stores.
I get big 54oz jars from an online vitamin shop; it's only about $22 when a little 16oz jar is $10 at my grocery store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Lard... I can't stand the word... It's probably delicious though.
That's why I prefer to say...MANTECA!
I don't use it a lot, but a couple years ago, I finally figured out why my refried beans never came out like my grandma's...I wasn't putting lard in them! It makes ALL the difference!

Quote:
renderd ( spelling???)
rendered
Old 03-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I forgot to ask the butcher to save our fat for rendering from our hogs. But I won't make that mistake again! I love cooking, and making soap, with lard.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #48
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post

That's why I prefer to say...MANTECA!
I don't use it a lot, but a couple years ago, I finally figured out why my refried beans never came out like my grandma's...I wasn't putting lard in them! It makes ALL the difference!
We have a town in the Valley here called Manteca, and another called Los Banos. I have to laugh every time I drive through either of them!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #49
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
We have a town in the Valley here called Manteca, and another called Los Banos. I have to laugh every time I drive through either of them!
oh, no- that's terrible!!!!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote