Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
the fat that hangs down on your arms

Does that go away if you lose enough weight? Or does it only get worse???
I'm wondering if I work out, if that area can firm up-or do you think it is just extra skin typically?
i know sometimes people have surgery here, so that is leading me to believe that it doesnot go away.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
I will be anxiously awaiting the information here from our JUDDD BUDDDs. It's a significant issue for me already and no doubt it is going to get worse with continuing weight loss. I want to just hang my head in shame when I remember as a little girl playing with the fat and loose skin on my grandmother's arms! Ack!

Kimmie
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
Does that go away if you lose enough weight? Or does it only get worse???
I'm wondering if I work out, if that area can firm up-or do you think it is just extra skin typically?
i know sometimes people have surgery here, so that is leading me to believe that it doesnot go away.
I call them "Bat Wings" ! I am working on getting rid of mine too...... they say they can get better, and mine have. But , they are still there

Good Luck !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Bat wings indeed. Losing will help, but if you watch biggest loser, they don't lose those typically. Targeted exercises will help, but may not take care of them!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Well i believe it depends on many factors.. How large did you let your arms get in the first place,, how long did you let that fat remain in that area..And also your genetic disposition will come in to play as to how will your own bodys skin rebound.. Now i too have that same issue as you talk about.. I am currently into week 6 of lifting heavy to build the muslces and see what sort of transformation my body wil allow.. IVe started recently doing also the sit on couch or chair and put leggs out in front of you and lower body as far down and then back up agin to target that spot in the back of the arm.. I know that i have seen lots of it start to get better.. but i wont really know more till ive givin my body a full years work out.. BUT i am willing to train and try rather than accept the fact that its somthing I CAN NOT DO.. I am all for. what the mind see's the body can over come.. what have we got to lose girls? Work out.. BELIVE it WILL happen..Never tell your self you cant or it wont ever go away.. I took that route for many years and it got me no where! So why not work out and BELIVE in what your body CAN accomplish!! Sorry if i seam to up beat.. or standing on my soap box.. But im all done not believing in what i can do just becasue some one else told me it was not possible.. love and respect to all ~
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I think the best thing to do, like Kimberly said, is pick targeted toning exercises & see what happens. Triceps for the bottom of your arms & delts for the outside. We're all really good at bicep curls but need to specifically target other muscle groups for that all around tone look.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #7

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I love your response Kimberly, and your recent experiences have given me hope for how I can reshape my body as the loss continues, so thanks!

Yes, I definitely have batwings. I've been noticing that as I've lost, my loose skin is tightening up quite a bit, especially on my stomach. Not all the way (yet), but I have hopes that as time passes, it will continue to shrink up. My thighs aren't too good right now, but are tightening a bit. My arms are getting smaller, but when I raise my arms, there are definitely wings.

I do dry brushing, although I've been slacking with the cold weather (it's too cold to stand around naked for 5 minutes brushing!). I need to start doing that again. I also try to keep well moisturized, and use neutrogena sesame bath oil after each shower. I'm pretty generous with it and it soaks in nicely.

I really do hope this problem, over time, can resolve at least most of the way. Keep letting us know how you're doing Kimberly. You can be our guinea pig/cheerleader!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I love your response Kimberly, and your recent experiences have given me hope for how I can reshape my body as the loss continues, so thanks!

Yes, I definitely have batwings. I've been noticing that as I've lost, my loose skin is tightening up quite a bit, especially on my stomach. Not all the way (yet), but I have hopes that as time passes, it will continue to shrink up. My thighs aren't too good right now, but are tightening a bit. My arms are getting smaller, but when I raise my arms, there are definitely wings.

I do dry brushing, although I've been slacking with the cold weather (it's too cold to stand around naked for 5 minutes brushing!). I need to start doing that again. I also try to keep well moisturized, and use neutrogena sesame bath oil after each shower. I'm pretty generous with it and it soaks in nicely.

I really do hope this problem, over time, can resolve at least most of the way. Keep letting us know how you're doing Kimberly. You can be our guinea pig/cheerleader!
Thanks hun.. I am so empowered now with "I CAN" I dont ever want to lose sight of that.. And i really only want to share that with every one. Our mind is our biggest obstacle.. change the way you think and the body will follow
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #9

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I have wings too, though I'm pleasantly surprised that they're not too bad. If I look for them, I can find them, but if I'm not being hypercritical, they aren't even that noticeable.

My stomach and upper thighs now -- that's a whole other story!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Wondering if any of you have tried coconut oil for moisturizing & skin tightening? Read about it elsewhere but noone posted their results.
I'm intrigued by this skin brushing...please, tell me more!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Well i believe it depends on many factors.. How large did you let your arms get in the first place,, how long did you let that fat remain in that area..And also your genetic disposition will come in to play as to how will your own bodys skin rebound.. Now i too have that same issue as you talk about.. I am currently into week 6 of lifting heavy to build the muslces and see what sort of transformation my body wil allow.. IVe started recently doing also the sit on couch or chair and put leggs out in front of you and lower body as far down and then back up agin to target that spot in the back of the arm.. I know that i have seen lots of it start to get better.. but i wont really know more till ive givin my body a full years work out.. BUT i am willing to train and try rather than accept the fact that its somthing I CAN NOT DO.. I am all for. what the mind see's the body can over come.. what have we got to lose girls? Work out.. BELIVE it WILL happen..Never tell your self you cant or it wont ever go away.. I took that route for many years and it got me no where! So why not work out and BELIVE in what your body CAN accomplish!! Sorry if i seam to up beat.. or standing on my soap box.. But im all done not believing in what i can do just becasue some one else told me it was not possible.. love and respect to all ~

Absolutely! Love this and completely agree!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Wondering if any of you have tried coconut oil for moisturizing & skin tightening? Read about it elsewhere but noone posted their results.
I have been dry skini brushing off and on for years following the ttapp method. Have no idea if I have helped anything since I could be even worse but it sure feels good. Any natural bristle brush should suffice.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #13

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
I do use CO on my skin sometimes too, and I love it. It takes longer to absorb, and I don't like to put my clothes on until it has, so not really a great option in cold weather IYKWIM.

If you google dry brushing you'll find lots of good info, and some good videos as well. If you do it regularly, it makes your skin soooooo soft and smooth!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Bat wings indeed. Losing will help, but if you watch biggest loser, they don't lose those typically. Targeted exercises will help, but may not take care of them!
I think Biggest Loser is not like us, though, because while they are exercising intensively they also lose their weight SO FAST that no way can the skin hope to rebound in that time frame.

I am concerned about this issue because my upper arms are my worst area, but all I can do is skin brushing, toning, and hope that time will help. If not, this might be an area where I would possibly consider doing some surgical tightening because I really want to be able to wear sleeveless/cap sleeves, but I'd give it a full year after reaching goal to decide.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #15

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Jam pleasantly surprised that my arms are improving the longer I keep the weight off.

I do exercise but not like Kimberley!

And I am 65.5.

So there is hope.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Jam pleasantly surprised that my arms are improving the longer I keep the weight off.

And I am 65.5.

So there is hope.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
A lot of people do well with Callanetics. There is a thread on LCF and some impressive before and after pictures.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I agree with Kimberly & Cindy! Love your attitude!

Ernestine is my inspiration and hope she can help you to see that we are never too old. She was 73 when she began body building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SION6Y82rS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wXF...0BFFE1&index=6

One more suggestion, if you have never tried Kettlebells, they are wonderful for the torso and arms. Very easy. I keep one at the office and take mini breaks just for my arms. One word, start w/ 5 or 10 lbs and work up. I enjoy walking/jogging with arm weights and have been doing so for years. Callanetics arm exercises, so simple and easy to do anywhere.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 178/178/140...48 years old
Start Date: Start date: 11/17/2014
Quote:
I've done dry brushing in the past...basically you use a gentle body brush and start at the tips of your toes and brush up, start at your fingertips and brush up, everything should head twards your heart. That is a very basic way of doing it, there is tons of info on the net. I believe it really helps tighten skin up a bit and boy does it feel good! I'll have to start it up again. As far as coconut oil, I slather it everywhere, except my face (it makes me break out, I use a mix of Castor and Rice Bran oils and a few drops of lavender essential oil for my face).

My upper arms are embarassingly huge so much so that short sleeves are not acceptable to me. The one thing that really does the trick is dumbbells, I have 5 and 8 pound ones that I do various exercises with and it tones them right up, no batwings yet but I imagine dumbells would not hurt if used.

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
I think age unfortunately plays a part as well. As we get older we tend to lose elasticity in our skin, but I think toning like others have mentioned will make a big difference. Tricep kickbacks should do the trick. I imagine even some bicep curls would help because if you're toning the opposite side it should help pull the skin up. (I would think) I've somewhat got them also.
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post

Ernestine is my inspiration and hope she can help you to see that we are never too old. She was 73 when she began body building.

One more suggestion, if you have never tried Kettlebells, they are wonderful for the torso and arms. Very easy. I keep one at the office and take mini breaks just for my arms. One word, start w/ 5 or 10 lbs and work up. I enjoy walking/jogging with arm weights and have been doing so for years. Callanetics arm exercises, so simple and easy to do anywhere.
Thx sunday
Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I've done dry brushing in the past...basically you use a gentle body brush and start at the tips of your toes and brush up, start at your fingertips and brush up, everything should head twards your heart. That is a very basic way of doing it, there is tons of info on the net. I believe it really helps tighten skin up a bit and boy does it feel good! I'll have to start it up again. As far as coconut oil, I slather it everywhere, except my face (it makes me break out, I use a mix of Castor and Rice Bran oils and a few drops of lavender essential oil for my face).

My upper arms are embarassingly huge so much so that short sleeves are not acceptable to me. The one thing that really does the trick is dumbbells, I have 5 and 8 pound ones that I do various exercises with and it tones them right up, no batwings yet but I imagine dumbells would not hurt if used.
My dumbbells are 2#
Old 03-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
A lot of people do well with Callanetics. There is a thread on LCF and some impressive before and after pictures.
Going to check them out...thx!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Sunday you are such a source of wonderful information!

Thank you so much!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bethanyblondie
Stats: 255/173/140
WOE: I have the Lap Band/Atkin's
Start Date: Restarted 1/28/2013
Good info! I HATE my arms and always so afraid they'll never recover from the weight gain/weight loss. But the scars from plastic surgery for arm skin removal are awful, so to me that will probably never be an option.
Bethanyblondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
My dumbbells are 2#
I have some 5# and 10# but I can't do much with the 10# lol. I'll be lucky if I don't drop it on my feet.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Thanks, Sunday...very inspiring!!!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I now have skinny, puney arms with 3x the amount of hanging loose skin compared to actual arm. My batwings are atrocious
I will probably have skin removal surgery at some point. I will try to manage my tummy apron/skin and thighs with exercise. My arms upset me so much.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Wow! She could seriously pass for decades younger, especially if she colored her hair, but I'm glad she doesn't because she looks AMAZING. Thanks Sunday for the inspiration!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post

And I am 65.5.

So there is hope.
Thanks Kissa! Good news!