Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   the fat that hangs down on your arms (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/798938-fat-hangs-down-your-arms.html)

hot-in-texas 03-07-2013 09:39 AM

the fat that hangs down on your arms

Does that go away if you lose enough weight? Or does it only get worse???:eek:
I'm wondering if I work out, if that area can firm up-or do you think it is just extra skin typically?
i know sometimes people have surgery here, so that is leading me to believe that it doesnot go away. :(

Kimmietoo 03-07-2013 09:48 AM

I will be anxiously awaiting the information here from our JUDDD BUDDDs. It's a significant issue for me already and no doubt it is going to get worse with continuing weight loss. I want to just hang my head in shame when I remember as a little girl playing with the fat and loose skin on my grandmother's arms! Ack!

:eek:

Kimmie

shelby'snana 03-07-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot-in-texas (Post 16301583)
Does that go away if you lose enough weight? Or does it only get worse???:eek:
I'm wondering if I work out, if that area can firm up-or do you think it is just extra skin typically?
i know sometimes people have surgery here, so that is leading me to believe that it doesnot go away. :(

I call them "Bat Wings" ! :p I am working on getting rid of mine too...... they say they can get better, and mine have. But , they are still there:dunno:

Good Luck !

zipp2play 03-07-2013 09:58 AM

Bat wings indeed. Losing will help, but if you watch biggest loser, they don't lose those typically. Targeted exercises will help, but may not take care of them!

sterlinggirl 03-07-2013 09:59 AM

Well i believe it depends on many factors.. How large did you let your arms get in the first place,, how long did you let that fat remain in that area..And also your genetic disposition will come in to play as to how will your own bodys skin rebound.. Now i too have that same issue as you talk about.. I am currently into week 6 of lifting heavy to build the muslces and see what sort of transformation my body wil allow.. IVe started recently doing also the sit on couch or chair and put leggs out in front of you and lower body as far down and then back up agin to target that spot in the back of the arm.. I know that i have seen lots of it start to get better.. but i wont really know more till ive givin my body a full years work out.. BUT i am willing to train and try rather than accept the fact that its somthing I CAN NOT DO.. I am all for. what the mind see's the body can over come.. what have we got to lose girls? Work out.. BELIVE it WILL happen..Never tell your self you cant or it wont ever go away.. I took that route for many years and it got me no where! So why not work out and BELIVE in what your body CAN accomplish!! Sorry if i seam to up beat.. or standing on my soap box.. But im all done not believing in what i can do just becasue some one else told me it was not possible.. love and respect to all ~:heart:

Yennie 03-07-2013 10:01 AM

I think the best thing to do, like Kimberly said, is pick targeted toning exercises & see what happens. Triceps for the bottom of your arms & delts for the outside. We're all really good at bicep curls but need to specifically target other muscle groups for that all around tone look.

LoCarbGal 03-07-2013 10:06 AM

I love your response Kimberly, and your recent experiences have given me hope for how I can reshape my body as the loss continues, so thanks!

Yes, I definitely have batwings. I've been noticing that as I've lost, my loose skin is tightening up quite a bit, especially on my stomach. Not all the way (yet), but I have hopes that as time passes, it will continue to shrink up. My thighs aren't too good right now, but are tightening a bit. My arms are getting smaller, but when I raise my arms, there are definitely wings.

I do dry brushing, although I've been slacking with the cold weather (it's too cold to stand around naked for 5 minutes brushing!). I need to start doing that again. I also try to keep well moisturized, and use neutrogena sesame bath oil after each shower. I'm pretty generous with it and it soaks in nicely.

I really do hope this problem, over time, can resolve at least most of the way. Keep letting us know how you're doing Kimberly. You can be our guinea pig/cheerleader!

sterlinggirl 03-07-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16301668)
I love your response Kimberly, and your recent experiences have given me hope for how I can reshape my body as the loss continues, so thanks!

Yes, I definitely have batwings. I've been noticing that as I've lost, my loose skin is tightening up quite a bit, especially on my stomach. Not all the way (yet), but I have hopes that as time passes, it will continue to shrink up. My thighs aren't too good right now, but are tightening a bit. My arms are getting smaller, but when I raise my arms, there are definitely wings.

I do dry brushing, although I've been slacking with the cold weather (it's too cold to stand around naked for 5 minutes brushing!). I need to start doing that again. I also try to keep well moisturized, and use neutrogena sesame bath oil after each shower. I'm pretty generous with it and it soaks in nicely.

I really do hope this problem, over time, can resolve at least most of the way. Keep letting us know how you're doing Kimberly. You can be our guinea pig/cheerleader!

Thanks hun.. I am so empowered now with "I CAN" I dont ever want to lose sight of that.. And i really only want to share that with every one. Our mind is our biggest obstacle.. change the way you think and the body will follow:heart:

KeirasMom 03-07-2013 10:29 AM

I have wings too, though I'm pleasantly surprised that they're not too bad. If I look for them, I can find them, but if I'm not being hypercritical, they aren't even that noticeable.

My stomach and upper thighs now -- that's a whole other story! :o

Yennie 03-07-2013 10:35 AM

Wondering if any of you have tried coconut oil for moisturizing & skin tightening? Read about it elsewhere but noone posted their results.
I'm intrigued by this skin brushing...please, tell me more!

Kimmietoo 03-07-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlinggirl (Post 16301640)
Well i believe it depends on many factors.. How large did you let your arms get in the first place,, how long did you let that fat remain in that area..And also your genetic disposition will come in to play as to how will your own bodys skin rebound.. Now i too have that same issue as you talk about.. I am currently into week 6 of lifting heavy to build the muslces and see what sort of transformation my body wil allow.. IVe started recently doing also the sit on couch or chair and put leggs out in front of you and lower body as far down and then back up agin to target that spot in the back of the arm.. I know that i have seen lots of it start to get better.. but i wont really know more till ive givin my body a full years work out.. BUT i am willing to train and try rather than accept the fact that its somthing I CAN NOT DO.. I am all for. what the mind see's the body can over come.. what have we got to lose girls? Work out.. BELIVE it WILL happen..Never tell your self you cant or it wont ever go away.. I took that route for many years and it got me no where! So why not work out and BELIVE in what your body CAN accomplish!! Sorry if i seam to up beat.. or standing on my soap box.. But im all done not believing in what i can do just becasue some one else told me it was not possible.. love and respect to all ~:heart:

:goodpost:

Absolutely! Love this and completely agree!

adillenal 03-07-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 16301758)
Wondering if any of you have tried coconut oil for moisturizing & skin tightening? Read about it elsewhere but noone posted their results.

I have been dry skini brushing off and on for years following the ttapp method. Have no idea if I have helped anything since I could be even worse but it sure feels good. Any natural bristle brush should suffice.

LoCarbGal 03-07-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

I do use CO on my skin sometimes too, and I love it. It takes longer to absorb, and I don't like to put my clothes on until it has, so not really a great option in cold weather IYKWIM.

If you google dry brushing you'll find lots of good info, and some good videos as well. If you do it regularly, it makes your skin soooooo soft and smooth!

calichris 03-07-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipp2play (Post 16301638)
Bat wings indeed. Losing will help, but if you watch biggest loser, they don't lose those typically. Targeted exercises will help, but may not take care of them!

I think Biggest Loser is not like us, though, because while they are exercising intensively they also lose their weight SO FAST that no way can the skin hope to rebound in that time frame.

I am concerned about this issue because my upper arms are my worst area, but all I can do is skin brushing, toning, and hope that time will help. If not, this might be an area where I would possibly consider doing some surgical tightening because I really want to be able to wear sleeveless/cap sleeves, but I'd give it a full year after reaching goal to decide.

Kissa 03-07-2013 10:57 AM

Jam pleasantly surprised that my arms are improving the longer I keep the weight off.

I do exercise but not like Kimberley!

And I am 65.5.

So there is hope.

hot-in-texas 03-07-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16301815)
Jam pleasantly surprised that my arms are improving the longer I keep the weight off.

And I am 65.5.

So there is hope.

:)

Seabreezes 03-07-2013 11:13 AM

A lot of people do well with Callanetics. There is a thread on LCF and some impressive before and after pictures.

sunday 03-07-2013 11:29 AM

I agree with Kimberly & Cindy! :heart: Love your attitude!

Ernestine is my inspiration and hope she can help you to see that we are never too old. She was 73 when she began body building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SION6Y82rS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wXF...0BFFE1&index=6

One more suggestion, if you have never tried Kettlebells, they are wonderful for the torso and arms. Very easy. I keep one at the office and take mini breaks just for my arms. One word, start w/ 5 or 10 lbs and work up. I enjoy walking/jogging with arm weights and have been doing so for years. Callanetics arm exercises, so simple and easy to do anywhere. :love:

Becky 03-07-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

I've done dry brushing in the past...basically you use a gentle body brush and start at the tips of your toes and brush up, start at your fingertips and brush up, everything should head twards your heart. That is a very basic way of doing it, there is tons of info on the net. I believe it really helps tighten skin up a bit and boy does it feel good! I'll have to start it up again. As far as coconut oil, I slather it everywhere, except my face (it makes me break out, I use a mix of Castor and Rice Bran oils and a few drops of lavender essential oil for my face).

My upper arms are embarassingly huge so much so that short sleeves are not acceptable to me. The one thing that really does the trick is dumbbells, I have 5 and 8 pound ones that I do various exercises with and it tones them right up, no batwings yet but I imagine dumbells would not hurt if used. :)

JMBM 03-07-2013 11:47 AM

I think age unfortunately plays a part as well. As we get older we tend to lose elasticity in our skin, but I think toning like others have mentioned will make a big difference. Tricep kickbacks should do the trick. I imagine even some bicep curls would help because if you're toning the opposite side it should help pull the skin up. (I would think) I've somewhat got them also:p.

hot-in-texas 03-07-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16301909)

Ernestine is my inspiration and hope she can help you to see that we are never too old. She was 73 when she began body building.

One more suggestion, if you have never tried Kettlebells, they are wonderful for the torso and arms. Very easy. I keep one at the office and take mini breaks just for my arms. One word, start w/ 5 or 10 lbs and work up. I enjoy walking/jogging with arm weights and have been doing so for years. Callanetics arm exercises, so simple and easy to do anywhere. :love:

Thx sunday:)

hot-in-texas 03-07-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 16301961)
I've done dry brushing in the past...basically you use a gentle body brush and start at the tips of your toes and brush up, start at your fingertips and brush up, everything should head twards your heart. That is a very basic way of doing it, there is tons of info on the net. I believe it really helps tighten skin up a bit and boy does it feel good! I'll have to start it up again. As far as coconut oil, I slather it everywhere, except my face (it makes me break out, I use a mix of Castor and Rice Bran oils and a few drops of lavender essential oil for my face).

My upper arms are embarassingly huge so much so that short sleeves are not acceptable to me. The one thing that really does the trick is dumbbells, I have 5 and 8 pound ones that I do various exercises with and it tones them right up, no batwings yet but I imagine dumbells would not hurt if used. :)

My dumbbells are 2# :doh:

hot-in-texas 03-07-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seabreezes (Post 16301865)
A lot of people do well with Callanetics. There is a thread on LCF and some impressive before and after pictures.

Going to check them out...thx!

Kimmietoo 03-07-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Sunday you are such a source of wonderful information!

:heart: Thank you so much! :heart:

Bethanyblondie 03-07-2013 12:04 PM

Good info! I HATE my arms and always so afraid they'll never recover from the weight gain/weight loss. But the scars from plastic surgery for arm skin removal are awful, so to me that will probably never be an option.

Librarygirl 03-07-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot-in-texas (Post 16301968)
My dumbbells are 2# :doh:

:laugh::laugh: I have some 5# and 10# but I can't do much with the 10# lol. I'll be lucky if I don't drop it on my feet.:doh:

shirlc 03-07-2013 04:34 PM

Thanks, Sunday...very inspiring!!!

Carly 03-07-2013 04:53 PM

I now have skinny, puney arms with 3x the amount of hanging loose skin compared to actual arm. My batwings are atrocious :cry::cry::cry:
I will probably have skin removal surgery at some point. I will try to manage my tummy apron/skin and thighs with exercise. My arms upset me so much.

calichris 03-07-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Wow! She could seriously pass for decades younger, especially if she colored her hair, but I'm glad she doesn't because she looks AMAZING. Thanks Sunday for the inspiration!

calichris 03-07-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16301815)

And I am 65.5.

So there is hope.

:jumpjoy: Thanks Kissa! Good news!