Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Getting in WLM. Staying in WLM. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/798865-getting-wlm-staying-wlm.html)

Yam-Yam 03-06-2013 12:16 PM

Getting in WLM. Staying in WLM.
 
Can you tell, physically feel it, I mean, when you are in weight loss mode?

I can.

I've been thinking about this a lot for the past two or three days.

Lately I've read a lot of books, so I'm not sure where exactly I read it. Maybe it's in the PH balance for weight loss book (don't remember the exact title but it's on my Kindle). Anyway, the author says the secret to success for losing weight and keeping it off is to get your body into WLM and then keep it there.

He said that when we are in WLM our bodies become powerful fat burning machines. But when we "take a break" by eating TOO MANY sweets or other simple carbs like potato chips or easily digestible starches and sugars, (and lose control) we kick our bodies very quickly out of WLM.

When that happens, immediately our bodies go into fast gear for weight re-gain mode. In other words, it's a trigger for our bodies to quickly put back the fat we have plundered plus some extra. That way there's a cushion for the next time we cut back on calories.

Starting Monday I'm writing this at the top of the page on my weight loss journal entry: GET IN WLM AND STAY IN WLM.

Every time I open it during the day, I see that staring at me and it's helping me.

It used to take me 3 or 4 days of dieting to feel the WLM kick in. With JUDD, it can and usually does happen after only one Down Day!

The first sign is that (and hope this is not TMI!:o) I start eliminating waaaaay more liquid than I take in. And, it's more like a rushing river/ waterfall than just what is normal. I always drink lots of water whether I'm dieting or not. It's just a habit I formed long ago. So, I can tell the difference.

Maybe this has something to do with ketosis?

Another sign is just a feeling that I'm shrinking. Almost immediately after one DD I feel way less bloated. My abdomen feels flatter and there is almost a tingling which I think is from all the tissues in my body releasing extra water.

I also begin to feel renewed energy and excitement. Sometimes I guess you could call it euphoria? :jumpjoy: Now I'm sounding a little crazy. OK, I'm probably a little crazy! But, I feel happy with a sense of accomplishment even after only one day. This is heightened if I see a nice drop on the scale.

Increased thirst is another sign I'm in WLM. Even though I'm drinking an enormous amount of water, tea, coffee, I'm constantly thirsty for more water when in WLM.

This I attribute to my body flushing out extra salt, toxins and beginning to flush out fat. I was surprised a number of months ago when I read and learned that when we are on a weight loss regime, most of our excess, stored fat or leftovers that are not going to be stored as fat are flushed out through the kidneys.

Now instead of being annoyed by frequent trips to the "little girl's room", even during the night, I welcome them thinking I'm peee-ing away my excess fat!!!

I think more clearly when in WLM. And, even with all the energy that has me cleaning out closets, chasing my grand kids around, and getting all my chores done in half the time, I feel a wonderful calmness. Hard to explain. But I like it.

It's funny. DH called yesterday on his way home from swim practice. He asked me if I'd like him to pick up a bottle of wine for us to share in front of the fireplace last night.

"NO!!!" I said. "Please don't do that today! I'll be too tempted and I know it will kick me out of WLM right now! It might spark some cravings I don't want!"

He respected that and we will enjoy our wine soon enough.

I can also tell which things kick me out of WLM. So for me, I'm going to keep this uppermost in my mind right now.

Thanks for letting me be so verbose! I warned some JUDD BUDDS on another thread this morning that I'm going to spend a lot of time on the JUDD forum today! It's helping me stay motivated when I need it so desperately!

So, can any of you tell, like a physical or mental feeling, when you are in WLM? And, what kinds of things kick you out of it pretty quickly?

Potato chips kick me out for sure!!!

sterlinggirl 03-06-2013 12:25 PM

I love that your back first of all.. I so missed these long posts that only you know how to write~
For me..I found that my hubby has kind of derailed my clean eating... He wanted to put back brown rice, wheat noodles and of course fried foods.. well even in moderation i feel when i eat these items,, 1 over indulge.. (they taste sooo goood) and 2. i find my self looking for sugar in any form i can after a day of eating these items,, and of course the scale says,, "WOW lets hold as much water as she can stand!!" :hyst: and after i eat these things.. i just dont genrally feel well the next day either.. lack of luster or energy.. and rather sluggish. so for me.. its the above items that seam to take me out of WLM :)

Yam-Yam 03-06-2013 12:34 PM

Kimberly: Thanks for being so warm and welcoming to me! It feels good to be missed!:hugs:

I so related to what you were saying! I love whole wheat spaghetti noodles. It's nothing for me to cook up a batch, add some butter, grated cheese and sprinkle with the powdered parmesian cheese and chow down! But then I want more.

One thing that was definitely bad for me (while I was generally being "bad" in every way food wise) was the bread and butter. DH did the grocery shopping at our time share in Palm Springs. He found the most incredible extra sourdough bread. It was always sitting right on the counter where he likes it by the butter dish. Just about every time I went into the kitchen, or at night when we were watching tv, I would butter up a piece!

That definitely contributed to a lot of those 10 pounds I put on over the last few weeks!

I'm just amazed that JUDD is already helping me get rid of more than half of it so quickly!

Today I resolve to stay in WLM!!! And, I mean aggressive WLM!!!

I also relate to how you said you don't feel as good the next day. Me too! Instead of feeling nourished the next day after eating lots of wheat and simple carbs, I feel sluggish, sleepy, and worst of all, hungry! Lots of cravings and it becomes a vicious cycle. Light bulb moment! No wonder I got fat in the first place! It's the vicious cycle and never getting out of it!

Note to self: Stop doing that!!!!!!!:doh:

sterlinggirl 03-06-2013 12:39 PM

I kind of want to belive that whole thing about the wheat belly book.. Im afraid to belive it with out researching it first and i have yet to do that.. but it sure seams like those processed foods with those wheat and sugars seam to make me like a addict to food! I found my self.. getting up at nite while DH was asleep and sneaking a wheat roll in the micro wave and dripping butter off it.. more than once! So for me.. I cant have it around or i cheat.. even on my self~ :love:

Lori_:) 03-06-2013 12:47 PM

Yes, I can tell when I'm in WLM. Mostly its visits to the loo. I'll say to myself, man, I'm burning fat like crazy today! :laugh: Like you....I don't mind all the trips!

Lori

KeirasMom 03-06-2013 01:02 PM

I'm sad I don't really notice when I'm in WLM, except when I'm burning like crazy, and then I get hives. I guess that's not the most pleasant sign, but I can always count on a good drop when I break out in hives. :hyst:

Yam-Yam 03-06-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlinggirl (Post 16299689)
I kind of want to belive that whole thing about the wheat belly book.. Im afraid to belive it with out researching it first and i have yet to do that.. but it sure seams like those processed foods with those wheat and sugars seam to make me like a addict to food! I found my self.. getting up at nite while DH was asleep and sneaking a wheat roll in the micro wave and dripping butter off it.. more than once! So for me.. I cant have it around or i cheat.. even on my self~ :love:

I have not read the wheat belly book. I've heard of it, but it's not on my list right now. That's so funny about cheating on yourself! I never thought of it that way but cheating on myself is probably the greatest betrayal. But I do it! It's only ME I'm cheating on. Hmmmmmmm... this is a lot to think about!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori_:) (Post 16299708)
Yes, I can tell when I'm in WLM. Mostly its visits to the loo. I'll say to myself, man, I'm burning fat like crazy today! :laugh: Like you....I don't mind all the trips!

Lori

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Who knew that the loo could be our favorite room in the house? :rofl: draining away some blubber for sure. :rofl:

hot-in-texas 03-06-2013 01:03 PM

hello ladies! Yam yam, thanks for the info-great food for thought(ha ha). I remember when I did Atkins, and I only did it for a very short time, I began to feel that my body is a machine! lol I am almost positive that if I am in WLM right now, it is very petite WLM. Although today all I;ve had is thick cut bacon(very delicious I might add), still not feellin it. And it has been on my mind lately, that I am eating too many carbs. Because I DO eat sweets, every UD. And I love my sweets! But, I am aware if I don't eat any sweets or carbs for awhile, I will no longer crave them. But it is so hard to let go!!
I really love you ladies, and all the knowledge and stories you share.:love: I'm going to say it again, I really think JUDDDers are the kindest, smartest people in the world! and also LCers!
YamYam, I am happy for you and all the energy you are experiencing, you are a rockin, energetic, organized grandma!! give those grandbabies a hug for me!
I am truly amazed that I have learned so much new information on this board, thought I knew it all, boy was I wrong!

Yam-Yam 03-06-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16299731)
I'm sad I don't really notice when I'm in WLM, except when I'm burning like crazy, and then I get hives. I guess that's not the most pleasant sign, but I can always count on a good drop when I break out in hives. :hyst:

Not fun! That's something I never heard of. :sad:

I was just thinking that talking too much might be another sign for me! Today I've been talking on the phone; talking to DH; texting DD and DIL and posting way to much here! :laugh: Yes, talking must be a sign for me.

This week my DD only needs me to babysit on Thurs. Sat. and Sunday. Wow, I don't know what to do with myself without the grand kids here! I feel like I have soooooo much extra time!

Whitlin' 03-06-2013 01:29 PM

Hi, Yam-Yam.

Occasional slight hunger is what lets me know I'm in WLMode. I know that's simplistic, but if it's been a long while since I felt any at all... ... hmmm... .... Not that there are only two states - WLM and gaining. There is also maintaining, and I'm there now, it does exist! LOL! Still, I slip back above my goal weight and then need to employ some lower DDs. When I feel a little hunger on one, I know I'm successfully rescuing my maintenance, even if I only need a few rotations. It's a perfectly welcome feeling.

Flutter 03-06-2013 02:16 PM

Huh. I don't know, yam. I don't really feel anything? I guess early in I did feel lots of hunger at DD bedtimes (stomach rumbling alot). I surely don't use the bathroom all the time, just whatever I drink. The next time I lose a bit, I'll have to pay more attention!

b_lou_who 03-06-2013 02:30 PM

that's where I want to be!
not sure I'm there at the moment, but every step counts for me, and exercising every day is a huge step I have taken. Muscle improving mode? I'm only committing to two down days a week right now with myself and staying off the scale. I think when I am seriously in WLM I often feel like poo. I like seeing the scale move, but I think overall I start trying to conserve energy and get a little down. Maybe I'm doing it wrong! That is my hope anyhow with how I have been treating myself lately. Fitness is a kindness, I'm thinking.
Missed you Gam-Gams

Yam-Yam 03-06-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot-in-texas (Post 16299733)
hello ladies! Yam yam, thanks for the info-great food for thought(ha ha). I remember when I did Atkins, and I only did it for a very short time, I began to feel that my body is a machine! lol I am almost positive that if I am in WLM right now, it is very petite WLM. Although today all I;ve had is thick cut bacon(very delicious I might add), still not feellin it. And it has been on my mind lately, that I am eating too many carbs. Because I DO eat sweets, every UD. And I love my sweets! But, I am aware if I don't eat any sweets or carbs for awhile, I will no longer crave them. But it is so hard to let go!!
I really love you ladies, and all the knowledge and stories you share.:love: I'm going to say it again, I really think JUDDDers are the kindest, smartest people in the world! and also LCers!
YamYam, I am happy for you and all the energy you are experiencing, you are a rockin, energetic, organized grandma!! give those grandbabies a hug for me!
I am truly amazed that I have learned so much new information on this board, thought I knew it all, boy was I wrong!

:hugs::heart: Love you too! Isn't this just the best place ever?:sing: Now you have made me realize that NO CRAVINGS is another sign I'm in WLM! Today I have no cravings. And, seems like when I'm in WLM i only want healthy things. Just realized I really want some salmon today. I picture it on a bed of cooked spinach or chopped up into a nice salad with ACV for dressing. How crazy is that to crave healthy good food that is on plan!

I learn something new every day on this board. It's awesome!

Yes! You got it! Those grandbabies are all gonna get kisses from you! :love: Any excuse I have to hug, squeeze and kiss them, I take it! lol! - :sing: Grandma....they bought us Tee shirts that say "Grandma Rocks! and Grandpa Rocks!" So appropriate!

Yam-Yam 03-06-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_lou_who (Post 16299895)
that's where I want to be!
not sure I'm there at the moment, but every step counts for me, and exercising every day is a huge step I have taken. Muscle improving mode? I'm only committing to two down days a week right now with myself and staying off the scale. I think when I am seriously in WLM I often feel like poo. I like seeing the scale move, but I think overall I start trying to conserve energy and get a little down. Maybe I'm doing it wrong! That is my hope anyhow with how I have been treating myself lately. Fitness is a kindness, I'm thinking.
Missed you Gam-Gams

oooooh that's good. "Fitness is a kindness". Good one! And, Muscle Improving Mode. I like that! You are so creative with words! Well, I hope feeling like doo-doo is never gonna be one of my WLM signals!!:aprayer::rofl::rofl: So sorry for your poo-ish-ness!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flutter (Post 16299869)
Huh. I don't know, yam. I don't really feel anything? I guess early in I did feel lots of hunger at DD bedtimes (stomach rumbling alot). I surely don't use the bathroom all the time, just whatever I drink. The next time I lose a bit, I'll have to pay more attention!

OMGosh! at first on JUDD I could never sleep on DDs. I absolutely cannot fall asleep when I'm seriously hungry. And I was so cold! now I make sure I have a bed snack. It's usually Greek yogurt with some frozen blueberries in it or a Muscle Milk Light with gluc powder whirred in. That's the only way I can sleep!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitlin' (Post 16299777)
Hi, Yam-Yam.

Occasional slight hunger is what lets me know I'm in WLMode. I know that's simplistic, but if it's been a long while since I felt any at all... ... hmmm... .... Not that there are only two states - WLM and gaining. There is also maintaining, and I'm there now, it does exist! LOL! Still, I slip back above my goal weight and then need to employ some lower DDs. When I feel a little hunger on one, I know I'm successfully rescuing my maintenance, even if I only need a few rotations. It's a perfectly welcome feeling.

I know WMM exists because I experienced it a few times in 2012 when I deliberately went into maintenance for a period to keep sanity. I also maintained being slim for most of my life until I turned 50. :cry: So I know it's out there somewhere waiting for me! But ever since the holiday's this year I've either been in serious WLM or serious WGM. Bouncing! Bouncing!

I finally have a window of opportunity go get on a losing streak. Already I'm thinking about what to do when I go back to see my siblings and their families in late April. In the mountains of Pennsylvania everyone is a good cook. Comfort food is everywhere. There is nothing like a little family reunion to bring out all the fattening foods and drinks for some merry-making!

Hopefully by then I will have made some real progress, have the sirtuins a-flowin' and the resolve from my success to eat and drink in moderation. That's my strategerie, my plan. i'm stickin' to it. I hope. Fingers crossed. :o

Librarygirl 03-06-2013 03:01 PM

I notice it. I think it's wishful thinking a little bit, but it seems like WLM. :D I was burning up yesterday and I thought, my body must be really burning up these calories. LOL! I also think if we believe we're in WLM, we're more diligent and mindful of exercise and eating, so it seems to help whether it's true or not!

Seabreezes 03-07-2013 12:27 PM

The author of Perfect Health Diet also says we should not feel like we are starving if we are eating nutrious foods. Your craving the good foods and feeling satisfied must mean you are eating correctly which will make you feel better all around. I think feeling good is half the battle.

Such a joy to see your posts again.

Yam-Yam 03-07-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seabreezes (Post 16302066)
The author of Perfect Health Diet also says we should not feel like we are starving if we are eating nutrious foods. Your craving the good foods and feeling satisfied must mean you are eating correctly which will make you feel better all around. I think feeling good is half the battle.

Such a joy to see your posts again.

Hey Seabreezes!!! As you can tel per our phone conversation today, I'm feeling great! Maybe too great? Can that be? This has been a good week so far!

svenskamae 03-07-2013 08:39 PM

Sadly, my body keeps slipping out of weight loss mode for extended periods, even when I eat no grains, no sweeteners, no alcohol, no processed foods, and do exercise (or don't exercise) and stay within my calorie limits every day. I sometimes feel a bit "lighter/smaller" on waking up during those periods when I'm losing weight, but I have energy and hunger regardless of whether I'm losing or maintaining. If famine happens, I'll be one of the survivors, no matter how few calories are available, but it's a real drag when trying to lose weight. I'm trying to be patient and focus on health benefits, regardless of the lack of weight loss.

Yennie 03-07-2013 09:57 PM

I can't really tell WLM vs not right now but I'm getting good at bloated vs not - as far as water weight. I can almost always tell when I'm gonna have a bounce up or a whoosh of water weight based on how I feel in the morning and, ahem, trips to the loo! Someone said it somewhere else - when the output is more than the input, I know its whoosh time and off comes the water weight!
Now, if I could just figure out how to ditch the water gain in the first place I could stay on steady downward progress. The problem with that is (as I said in yet another thread...) I eat way too much salt! And so I'm back to gallons of lemon water a day. Guess its good I like both!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:01 AM.