Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kellysue24
Stats: 279/250/200 (first goal)/150 (ultimate goal)
WOE: I'll try anything once
Start Date: September 3, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Kelly: You must be so frustrated!!! I'm so proud of you for hanging in there and sticking to the plan so well despite what the scale says.

I want to throw in my 2 cents worth. First, make sure you take your measurements. We had quite a discussion a while back about how fat has great volume (big and puffy like a sponge or marshmallow) but not a lot of weight or heaviness (like muscle which is more like a smaller but much heaver rock).

Sometimes we are losing fat but it takes the scale a while to catch up and show it because fat is so light it floats. (Ever open a can of soup and notice the fat floating on the top?) But fat is bulky.

Also, women tend to lose visceral fat (fat around the organs, on the inside) FIRST. That's a good thing because it gets rid of heart disease and gives relief to all organs, kidneys, liver... As we go along with our weight loss plan, and the visceral fat is burned off, then the subcutaneous fat (fat right under the skin) will start to go.

Another point I want to stress is that one of the wondrous jobs of the SIRT1 gene flowing is to burn existing fat and prevent extra calories from being turned into fat.

It has been said many times in the past by JUDD legends (Pat comes to mind) that the Down Days are hugely important in the beginning to get the SIRT1 activated. Pat always pointed out that for some people, the sirtuins also have a lot of healing to do in some people before they can start dropping weight.

In other words, while internal inflamation is being healed and maybe other disorders like a messed up metabolism or insulin resistance, your body may be unwilling to release pounds that it perceives to be protective. Once you keep going with the DDs and really get the sirtuins flowing they will do their healing and then you will see a big whoosh downward all at once.

There have been some JUDDers who started feeling better, more energy, clear skin, shiny hair, healthier, and still they didn't drop any weight for a month or two. Frustrating? yes. But it is what it is.

One more thing. Someone posted an article about how at first, when the fat starts to burn off, our fat cells fill up with water. Apparently they want to keep there balloon type shape just in case you decide to give up the diet and fill them with fat again.

After a certain period of time, as you keep your rotations going, they will realize the fat is not coming back to fill them. They release the water, shrink, and again this is why people see the big whooshes we attribute to the "Whoosh Fairy".

I did not check your numbers but agree with Kimberly about making sure you change the calculator to "lbs" "inches" and "female" to be sure they are right.

Then, my biggest advice is to concentrate on keeping your down days to the 20% (little or no exercise option) or lower if you can manage it. Do that as long as you can. Don't stress about the UDs right now. Do your best. But your focus should be the DDs.

I really struggled with UUADs for a long time. But I was religious about my DDs.

You may need to be patient as your metabolism heals and maybe some inner inflamation (that can really stall weight loss).

Make sure you are getting lots of sleep at night. When you sleep, your body produces the hormone Leptin. That hormone tells your brain you are not starving and gives it permission to release stored fat. When you don't get enough sleep your body produces the hormone Grehlin (think "Gremlin") which tells your brain to send messages to your stomach that you need to eat more and to cells that you need to store every morsel you eat as fat.

OK!!!!! Sermon over!!! LOL! Sorry, I got carried away and have too much time on my hands today!

We love you and are here for you! We will help you get this figured out, OK?
Thank you for the encouragement! Thank you alll for it! Good info!
kellysue24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
I just read Adi's post and have to say when I was young (15) I did Stillman's and lost 55 pounds. I kept it off and stayed slim all my life by always going back to Stillman's. Then a back injury and menopause hit at the same time and the weight piled on and nothing worked.

In 2011 I discovered The Dukan Diet. I felt like he was a re-incarnation of Stillman but only better and updated with more food choices (like dairy).

On August 1st 2011 I started Dukan and 10 days later I was down 14 pounds with no suffering. (He promotes high protein, low fat, low carb and his plan is really good. His book is extremely motivating, educational and a good read even if you are not going to do it. He does not like Atkins, it seems, because he feels fats are bad when you are trying to lose weight. If you can get over that and just read for the other info, you will learn alot that you can even incorporate into JUDD).

By the end of August I was down 20 pounds and lost 8 more by December. Then I found JUDD! YAY! I continued losing until I was down 42.8 pounds by April.

I've been vacationing waaaaay too much all during 2012. Party, party, party! So I'm up a bit. But I'm back home now and back to the JUDD magic.

Just wanted to say I agree with Adi that if you want some lightening speed, jump start weight loss, you might want to incorporate low-fat, high protein, low carb into your JUDDing. I'm doing exactly that this week after returning from yet another vacation.

I'm re-reading The Dukan Diet for motivation and sticking to lots of protein and non-starchy vegetables (and lots of frozen blueberries in my yogurt because I love 'em!). I already got the jump start I was hoping for after only 2 days. One DD and one UD but doing them with lean protein.

Again, hang in there! We are all here for you. Our bodies are all so different. Sometimes you have to experiment to see how to tweak this to work best for you. But keep in mind all the science behind it and what may be going on in your body.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Kelly, I think Yam-Yam summed it up brilliantly in post 29.

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. You've just come from Atkins and your system is adjusting like crazy.

Your DH will probably lose enviably fast and you mustn't compare yourself. My DH just announces that he wants to lose a few pounds and they seem to fall off him without his doing anything. Not fair, I know!!

For me, the main thing is that JUDDD isn't a get-thin-quick fix that would see the weight pile back on as soon as you stop. It's a way of eating that can take you through and into maintenance for the rest of your life.

It might be a week or so before the sirtuins start to do their work and it takes patience. But it's worth it - and so are you!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinleaf View Post
Im a newbie here first. Had my first DD yesterday and did Joe Cross's juicing for the day. Stayed under the 500 calories drank 70oz of fresh juice all day long. Went to bed half hour early as I was really tired (drained). Had to pee about every hour but Im 62 and thats not too unusual. So this morning Id lost 3.4#. Planning on still staying low carb, no starch except with eating my cashews, (theres starch in nuts) but really really good oils. I use my Vitamix blender ALOT! Makes excellent soups that I can add a few ounces of meat to. I can make a really good chocolate pudding with my cashews as well as a cheese sauce with the cashews. Im planning on using the culminations of all the diets Ive ever learned from in this. I wont juice EVERY DD, but this was a good kick off. I also walk 1/2 mile on the treadmill right now. Work full time, some grunt work walking. Had my Lapband removed 3 months ago after a 9 year run with that.

One question. What has worked best for you, 2DD with 1 day apart before another DD or do you spread it farther apart?

Good informative board here. Thanks!
Shinleaf
Strict rotation always works best for me - as in Up Day, Down Day, when I can stick to it.

Some people struggle at weekends and might do DDs on M, W, and F, with two UDs at the weekends, or maybe a medium day (MD) on Saturdays.

How fast you want to lose, plus your social/family circumstances, might influence your regime but ultimately you find what works best for you.

Have a good browse around the forum. There's lots of help and support here.
Don't miss the March Newbies thread.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
I just want to echo all the great comments above. I think it's the transition from Atkins induction for your body. It sounds like you are doing everything right, and so I would anticipate the JUDDD magic to kick in very soon. Do not be discouraged! I've adopted the British slogan "keep calm and carry on" for my mantra, because the scale does not always reflect fat loss. If you know that you are in your calories, but the scale is not cooperating, just ignore the dumb thing, keep going, and the scale will catch up eventually.

p.s. You might lose 2.5/week in the beginning (once your system adjusts to JUDDD), but it's not a guarantee. I started on another plan and transitioned to JUDDD, and I lost about 7 pounds/month in the beginning (without counting up days, which I had to start doing after two months). It is not always the fastest weight loss plan on the planet, but it's the the most forgiving, the easiest (for me) to stick to long term and the easiest to live a regular, full life that includes being able to participate in celebrations that happen to include delicious food! So, for me, slower over a longer period of time beats the pants off of quick and then burnout, you know?

Last edited by calichris; 03-06-2013 at 10:30 AM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
I just want to echo all the great comments above. I think it's the transition from Atkins induction for your body. It sounds like you are doing everything right, and so I would anticipate the JUDDD magic to kick in very soon. Do not be discouraged! I've adopted the British slogan "keep calm and carry on" for my mantra, because the scale does not always reflect fat loss. If you know that you are in your calories, but the scale is not cooperating, just ignore the dumb thing, keep going, and the scale will catch up eventually.

p.s. You might lose 2.5/week in the beginning (once your system adjusts to JUDDD), but it's not a guarantee. I started on another plan and transitioned to JUDDD, and I lost about 7 pounds/month in the beginning (without counting up days, which I had to start doing after two months). It is not always the fastest weight loss plan on the planet, but it's the the most forgiving, the easiest (for me) to stick to long term and the easiest to live a regular, full life that includes being able to participate in celebrations that happen to include delicious food! So, for me, slower over a longer period of time beats the pants off of quick and then burnout, you know?
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #37
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Kelly, have you had more than one DD? Ok, I guess you've had 2. Well, you came straight from Atkins/LC, so most people will tell you that you might see an initial gain after eating carbs again, even though you still aren't eating sugar. Not that carbs are bad, but after eating almost none and then adding some back in, you will retain a little water. Please give it at least another 2 weeks before you throw in the towel. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 03-06-2013 at 03:30 PM..
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote