Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/190/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Increase calories for intense exercise?

Hello All,

I'm new to JUDDD and a bit discouraged. After my first DD I was down 2 lbs(YAY) after 1 UD and another DD, up a 1 lb. After another cycle I'm down 1/2 lb. Just seems like I should be dropping faster than that.

I do an intense boot camp workout 4 times a week. I have my JUDDD calories set as if I do no exercise, thinking that would result in faster loss. Is that a mistake? I really want this plan to work....I appreciate any suggestions.

Lori
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I would stick with these numbers for 2 weeks and then sdd in exercise calories if needed. Are you counting UDs? If not I would start there.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:36 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Carly....yes, I've been counting calories every day. I was hoping not to have to do that, but I thought I would for the first couple weeks. I know I'm impatient and should give it a couple weeks. Thanks again!

Lori
Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Lori the weight fluctuations are probably due to water. I'm not convinced I've seen any people here doing intense exercise, who get major weight-loss benefits.

Here's an invitation to shoot me down in flames if you'd like to disagree.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Exercise for health benefits but not necessarily for weight loss for me. Walking helps me maintain and lifting weights is for health purposes.
So no, even when I do exercise, I do not up my calories.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone! I'm doing the boot camp more for strength and increased well being than for weight loss. I suppose I am sabotaging my weight loss efforts with all the exercise, but I guess I'll have to accept it. I'm in too deep to quit now!

Hugs all around!

Lori
Old 03-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/199/147?
WOE: JUDDD modified
Start Date: July 11, 2012
I'm exercising for health reasons and to tone/burn calories, but it can mess with the scale, and you can't know if it's because you're gaining muscle, retaining water in your muscle tissues, etc. But it's good for you in a gazillion ways, so I suggest doing your best to ignore that, stick to your calories, and pay attention to the fit of your clothes and your measurements.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Hey Lori,
Agree with the gals above. I run, and I'm back in training for a marathon. I don't adjust my calories because 1) I think we tend to overestimate how many calories we burn when we exercise therefore by eating back our calories we're actually overeating and 2) the point of the exercise is that you're burning, toning, etc so why eat back what you've worked so hard to lose.
The thing people tend to lose sight of is that the pros and the pro-amateurs are literally watching every. single. morsel. They calculate what they burn, they have nutritionists, etc.
With that kind of intense exercise, you're likely retaining quite a bit of water in your muscles as they attempt to heal. Its unlikely you're actually not losing fat. Consider weighing in less, and using measurements and clothing fit to track your progress. Even days when the scale is the same, or up, I'm feeling slimmer and my clothes fit better so I know its working.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks SO much everyone!

Lori
Old 03-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I forgot...

Also, if you've been doing the boot camp since before you started JUDDD, one thing to consider is that your body has "adjusted" to the exercise. In other words, it knows you're going to do boot camp 1 hour 4 days a week and has adjusted it's set point accordingly. Therefore, it's no longer letting go of fat, per se, due to the exercise. Another way you'd be sabotaging your efforts by eating back your calories.

Also, in another thread, you wrote:

Had my hour long boot camp class this morning and will be back at it tomorrow at 5:45AM. I've been doing it since the beginning of December. What a workout! I try to go 4 times a week. Its unlike any other workout I've ever done. I think we easily get a 500 calorie burn in that hour.

Perhaps consider taking at least 1 day off between each workout. The muscle fibers need a break to heal, which is where the strength & toning come from.
Yennie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Hey Lori,
Agree with the gals above. I run, and I'm back in training for a marathon. I don't adjust my calories because 1) I think we tend to overestimate how many calories we burn when we exercise therefore by eating back our calories we're actually overeating and 2) the point of the exercise is that you're burning, toning, etc so why eat back what you've worked so hard to lose.
The thing people tend to lose sight of is that the pros and the pro-amateurs are literally watching every. single. morsel. They calculate what they burn, they have nutritionists, etc.
With that kind of intense exercise, you're likely retaining quite a bit of water in your muscles as they attempt to heal. Its unlikely you're actually not losing fat. Consider weighing in less, and using measurements and clothing fit to track your progress. Even days when the scale is the same, or up, I'm feeling slimmer and my clothes fit better so I know its working.
You are spot on girl with this advise~ Love it love it~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Great advice! I'm going to stick with what I'm doing and give my body a chance to catch up!

Lori
Old 03-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Also, if you've been doing the boot camp since before you started JUDDD, one thing to consider is that your body has "adjusted" to the exercise. In other words, it knows you're going to do boot camp 1 hour 4 days a week and has adjusted it's set point accordingly. Therefore, it's no longer letting go of fat, per se, due to the exercise. Another way you'd be sabotaging your efforts by eating back your calories.

Also, in another thread, you wrote:

Had my hour long boot camp class this morning and will be back at it tomorrow at 5:45AM. I've been doing it since the beginning of December. What a workout! I try to go 4 times a week. Its unlike any other workout I've ever done. I think we easily get a 500 calorie burn in that hour.

Perhaps consider taking at least 1 day off between each workout. The muscle fibers need a break to heal, which is where the strength & toning come from.
as well as this one..
Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

The great thing about boot camp is that it is never the same workout twice. Some days we box, some days we do more running, some days we do upper body weights etc. Keeps the muscles guessing! My typical rotation is to go to boot camp Mon, Tues..take Wednesday off, go Thurs & Fri.

I'll get this figured out sooner or later! I appreciate all your comments & suggestions!

Lori
Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_:) View Post
The great thing about boot camp is that it is never the same workout twice. Some days we box, some days we do more running, some days we do upper body weights etc. Keeps the muscles guessing! My typical rotation is to go to boot camp Mon, Tues..take Wednesday off, go Thurs & Fri.

I'll get this figured out sooner or later! I appreciate all your comments & suggestions!

Lori
Great job hun on getting the exersize your body soo needs! You are doing just fine.. give it a lil more time and remember to enjoy the journey.. we only have a short time here and we get over consumed with hurry up and get to tomorrow.. enjoy today!!