Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Increase calories for intense exercise? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/798817-increase-calories-intense-exercise.html)

Lori_:) 03-06-2013 04:08 AM

Increase calories for intense exercise?

Hello All,

I'm new to JUDDD and a bit discouraged. After my first DD I was down 2 lbs(YAY) after 1 UD and another DD, up a 1 lb. After another cycle I'm down 1/2 lb. Just seems like I should be dropping faster than that.

I do an intense boot camp workout 4 times a week. I have my JUDDD calories set as if I do no exercise, thinking that would result in faster loss. Is that a mistake? I really want this plan to work....I appreciate any suggestions.

Lori

Carly 03-06-2013 04:33 AM

I would stick with these numbers for 2 weeks and then sdd in exercise calories if needed. Are you counting UDs? If not I would start there.

Lori_:) 03-06-2013 04:36 AM

Thanks Carly....yes, I've been counting calories every day. I was hoping not to have to do that, but I thought I would for the first couple weeks. I know I'm impatient and should give it a couple weeks. Thanks again!

Lori

Flossyliz 03-06-2013 05:11 AM

Lori the weight fluctuations are probably due to water. I'm not convinced I've seen any people here doing intense exercise, who get major weight-loss benefits.

Here's an invitation to shoot me down in flames if you'd like to disagree.

adillenal 03-06-2013 05:26 AM

Exercise for health benefits but not necessarily for weight loss for me. Walking helps me maintain and lifting weights is for health purposes.
So no, even when I do exercise, I do not up my calories.

Lori_:) 03-06-2013 06:08 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm doing the boot camp more for strength and increased well being than for weight loss. I suppose I am sabotaging my weight loss efforts with all the exercise, but I guess I'll have to accept it. I'm in too deep to quit now! :hyst:

Hugs all around!

Lori

calichris 03-06-2013 11:38 AM

I'm exercising for health reasons and to tone/burn calories, but it can mess with the scale, and you can't know if it's because you're gaining muscle, retaining water in your muscle tissues, etc. But it's good for you in a gazillion ways, so I suggest doing your best to ignore that, stick to your calories, and pay attention to the fit of your clothes and your measurements. :)

Yennie 03-06-2013 11:50 AM

Hey Lori,
Agree with the gals above. I run, and I'm back in training for a marathon. I don't adjust my calories because 1) I think we tend to overestimate how many calories we burn when we exercise therefore by eating back our calories we're actually overeating and 2) the point of the exercise is that you're burning, toning, etc so why eat back what you've worked so hard to lose.
The thing people tend to lose sight of is that the pros and the pro-amateurs are literally watching every. single. morsel. They calculate what they burn, they have nutritionists, etc.
With that kind of intense exercise, you're likely retaining quite a bit of water in your muscles as they attempt to heal. Its unlikely you're actually not losing fat. Consider weighing in less, and using measurements and clothing fit to track your progress. Even days when the scale is the same, or up, I'm feeling slimmer and my clothes fit better so I know its working.

Lori_:) 03-06-2013 11:52 AM

Thanks SO much everyone! :hugs:

Lori

Yennie 03-06-2013 11:55 AM

I forgot...

Also, if you've been doing the boot camp since before you started JUDDD, one thing to consider is that your body has "adjusted" to the exercise. In other words, it knows you're going to do boot camp 1 hour 4 days a week and has adjusted it's set point accordingly. Therefore, it's no longer letting go of fat, per se, due to the exercise. Another way you'd be sabotaging your efforts by eating back your calories.

Also, in another thread, you wrote:

Had my hour long boot camp class this morning and will be back at it tomorrow at 5:45AM. I've been doing it since the beginning of December. What a workout! I try to go 4 times a week. Its unlike any other workout I've ever done. I think we easily get a 500 calorie burn in that hour.

Perhaps consider taking at least 1 day off between each workout. The muscle fibers need a break to heal, which is where the strength & toning come from.

sterlinggirl 03-06-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 16299431)
Hey Lori,
Agree with the gals above. I run, and I'm back in training for a marathon. I don't adjust my calories because 1) I think we tend to overestimate how many calories we burn when we exercise therefore by eating back our calories we're actually overeating and 2) the point of the exercise is that you're burning, toning, etc so why eat back what you've worked so hard to lose.
The thing people tend to lose sight of is that the pros and the pro-amateurs are literally watching every. single. morsel. They calculate what they burn, they have nutritionists, etc.
With that kind of intense exercise, you're likely retaining quite a bit of water in your muscles as they attempt to heal. Its unlikely you're actually not losing fat. Consider weighing in less, and using measurements and clothing fit to track your progress. Even days when the scale is the same, or up, I'm feeling slimmer and my clothes fit better so I know its working.

You are spot on girl with this advise~ Love it love it~

Lori_:) 03-06-2013 01:35 PM

Great advice! I'm going to stick with what I'm doing and give my body a chance to catch up! :up:

Lori

sterlinggirl 03-06-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 16299447)
Also, if you've been doing the boot camp since before you started JUDDD, one thing to consider is that your body has "adjusted" to the exercise. In other words, it knows you're going to do boot camp 1 hour 4 days a week and has adjusted it's set point accordingly. Therefore, it's no longer letting go of fat, per se, due to the exercise. Another way you'd be sabotaging your efforts by eating back your calories.

Also, in another thread, you wrote:

Had my hour long boot camp class this morning and will be back at it tomorrow at 5:45AM. I've been doing it since the beginning of December. What a workout! I try to go 4 times a week. Its unlike any other workout I've ever done. I think we easily get a 500 calorie burn in that hour.

Perhaps consider taking at least 1 day off between each workout. The muscle fibers need a break to heal, which is where the strength & toning come from.

:goodpost: as well as this one..

Lori_:) 03-06-2013 01:39 PM

The great thing about boot camp is that it is never the same workout twice. Some days we box, some days we do more running, some days we do upper body weights etc. Keeps the muscles guessing! :) My typical rotation is to go to boot camp Mon, Tues..take Wednesday off, go Thurs & Fri.

I'll get this figured out sooner or later! I appreciate all your comments & suggestions! :shake:

Lori

sterlinggirl 03-06-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori_:) (Post 16299690)
The great thing about boot camp is that it is never the same workout twice. Some days we box, some days we do more running, some days we do upper body weights etc. Keeps the muscles guessing! :) My typical rotation is to go to boot camp Mon, Tues..take Wednesday off, go Thurs & Fri.

I'll get this figured out sooner or later! I appreciate all your comments & suggestions! :shake:

Lori

Great job hun on getting the exersize your body soo needs! You are doing just fine.. give it a lil more time and remember to enjoy the journey.. we only have a short time here and we get over consumed with hurry up and get to tomorrow.. enjoy today!!