Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Does potato hacking make you tired?

I'm doing some days of potato hacking--along with tea with half and half in the morning and at night, at least 4 hours removed from eating the potatoes--and am having trouble with tiredness/sleepiness. Has this happened to anyone else?

I seem to have loads of energy when I do lowcarb/moderateprotein/highfat version of JUDDD (staying within my calorie limits on up days and going below them on down days). But after 2 months of not losing weight, I decided to try a 2-3 week potato hack to get past my current setpoint.

I think I've lost a little weight (hard to tell because the scale moves up from retained water, going from lowcarb to potatoes), but I've also lost my energy. I got 8 hours of sleep last night, but after a not very demanding workday, I'm yawning and ready to lie down asap. Yesterday, I was somewhat sleep deprived due to insomnia the previous night, and by late evening, I was almost tearfully tired.

It may be the loss of my SIRT genes (since I'm not eating up to my up calories on up days); it may because carbs just don't agree with me much; it may be because my calories are low day after day on a potato hack ... but my energy has definitely plummeted. (I only wish that my weight plummeted along with it.)

Has anyone else experienced this? I was planning to do potato days on Wednesday and Thursday, too, but it's hard to function at work when I'm feeling so low energy ...
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I wasn't successful with potato days. I tried it three times and each time I found the hunger hard to manage. I could probably do it now because my appetite is more suppressed...however, I find regular DDs to do just as well. It sound like it's not working for you, or if it is, is it worth it?
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I'm doing some days of potato hacking--along with tea with half and half in the morning and at night, at least 4 hours removed from eating the potatoes--and am having trouble with tiredness/sleepiness. Has this happened to anyone else?

I seem to have loads of energy when I do lowcarb/moderateprotein/highfat version of JUDDD (staying within my calorie limits on up days and going below them on down days). But after 2 months of not losing weight, I decided to try a 2-3 week potato hack to get past my current setpoint.

I think I've lost a little weight (hard to tell because the scale moves up from retained water, going from lowcarb to potatoes), but I've also lost my energy. I got 8 hours of sleep last night, but after a not very demanding workday, I'm yawning and ready to lie down asap. Yesterday, I was somewhat sleep deprived due to insomnia the previous night, and by late evening, I was almost tearfully tired.

It may be the loss of my SIRT genes (since I'm not eating up to my up calories on up days); it may because carbs just don't agree with me much; it may be because my calories are low day after day on a potato hack ... but my energy has definitely plummeted. (I only wish that my weight plummeted along with it.)

Has anyone else experienced this? I was planning to do potato days on Wednesday and Thursday, too, but it's hard to function at work when I'm feeling so low energy ...
Today is my first try and I have been feeling hypoglycemic with shaking, sweating, being hungrier,brain fog and darn near narcolepsy. I won't be trying it again. I will just stick to what makes me feel in control of my hunger and blood sugar best.
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I had no problems on potato days with being tired. I had plenty of energy and I love doing potato DD's. But I haven't tried several days in a row of just potatoes for awhile.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the responses. I haven't had hypoglycemic or sky high blood sugar symptoms, just tiredness.

When I got home from work a few minutes ago, I had a tin of smoked oysters on flax crackers and a Tablespoon of coconut butter and felt much more peppy. I think I'll try doing cold potatoes only at work and then have some fat and protein in the evening, and see if that's more manageable.

For long term, I think keeping my potato hacks to down days, like Adi, would be better, but I'm so eager to feel confident about having gone below my set point, after 2 months of being stuck there, that it's hard to be sensible ... Anyway, I'll be taking 2 days off from potato hacking on Friday and Saturday, due to social engagements ...
Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I haven't had hypoglycemic or sky high blood sugar symptoms, just tiredness.

When I got home from work a few minutes ago, I had a tin of smoked oysters on flax crackers and a Tablespoon of coconut butter and felt much more peppy. I think I'll try doing cold potatoes only at work and then have some fat and protein in the evening, and see if that's more manageable.

For long term, I think keeping my potato hacks to down days, like Adi, would be better, but I'm so eager to feel confident about having gone below my set point, after 2 months of being stuck there, that it's hard to be sensible ... Anyway, I'll be taking 2 days off from potato hacking on Friday and Saturday, due to social engagements ...
I do this too. I haven't managed a multi-day hack yet because I just can't seem to eat that many potatoes two days in a row. By the end of the second day I needed something not potatoes. But, like Adi, I've not had problems with energy or the shakes.

I hope the scale drops for you!!!

PS: Adi - how was the stock show?
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I only managed to do (almost) 3 days of PH. I made it to late evening, and then had some nausea and had to eat some peanut butter, and immediately felt better. I can't say I felt tiredness, but that may be because I wasn't on it for that long. I had a pretty dramatic loss though, during, and then for a few days after. I'll probably try it again some time if I stall, or need a boost.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post

PS: Adi - how was the stock show?
Nice. I had one yearling milker win her class but didn't do much anywhere else but I enjoyed the show and seeing old friends. Next show is a two day show North of Dallas so we shall see how they do then. Thanks for asking.

STILL doing Potato DD's since I have found they work well for me and I can eat more calories and still maintain. Love those potato DD's.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:20 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/107/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I'm at the start of Day 4 of the Potato Hack. I've been pretty tired and cold, so much so that I've never done as little on my exercise bike as I did yesterday (15km and I had to wear a foil blanket to do that because I was so cold).

I didn't manage to eat UD calories yesterday (I probably came in at about half of the requirement). LCG (I think) mentioned that JUDDers typically just try to eat to satisfaction on the PH because it's so tricky to eat that amount of plain potato on an UD.

I'm having difficulty sleeping despite the tiredness. I may experiment with introducing a rice meal in an attempt to increase the calories on my next UD. Aside from the calories, I'm wondering if I have problems with a mono diet because my skin is itchy and my face bloats up and down.

I'm staying with the PH for now because it seems to have helped me to break the 150 lbs stall (I'm currently 146 lbs and I've dropped that over the period of the PH). I'm trying to see if the skin, cold, fatigue and insomnia diminish after a 7 day period (I'd like to do 10-14, but I'll re-evalulate on days 5-7, depending on how I feel).

All of which is too long a way to say that, "Yes. I'm in the early stages of a PH and I'm tired/cold/sleepless like you".
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Stats: +175/154/148
WOE: FMD
Start Date: February 2012/June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I'm at the start of Day 4 of the Potato Hack. I've been pretty tired and cold, so much so that I've never done as little on my exercise bike as I did yesterday (15km and I had to wear a foil blanket to do that because I was so cold).

I didn't manage to eat UD calories yesterday (I probably came in at about half of the requirement). LCG (I think) mentioned that JUDDers typically just try to eat to satisfaction on the PH because it's so tricky to eat that amount of plain potato on an UD.

I'm having difficulty sleeping despite the tiredness. I may experiment with introducing a rice meal in an attempt to increase the calories on my next UD. Aside from the calories, I'm wondering if I have problems with a mono diet because my skin is itchy and my face bloats up and down.

I'm staying with the PH for now because it seems to have helped me to break the 150 lbs stall (I'm currently 146 lbs and I've dropped that over the period of the PH). I'm trying to see if the skin, cold, fatigue and insomnia diminish after a 7 day period (I'd like to do 10-14, but I'll re-evalulate on days 5-7, depending on how I feel).

All of which is too long a way to say that, "Yes. I'm in the early stages of a PH and I'm tired/cold/sleepless like you".
I am on day 4 now. I am cold, too. I am sticking straight to the hack -- what I think is the hack -- with plain potatoes and malt vinegar, salt. You might feel better if you peel some of the potatoes. Definitely, do not eat them if they are green under the skin. Also, I've been using NOW brand, Super Enzymes. I haven't had the gas or the bloat that I've read about. I hope this helps.
Good Luck!
fiveninepointfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

I have been doing potato DD's for awhile now and I am back to eating the skins on all of my potatoes regardless of kind and have no gas issues. I am hoping that means I have a healing gut. Plain gold taters with salt are my go to potato for DD's.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveninepointfive View Post
I am sticking straight to the hack -- what I think is the hack -- with plain potatoes and malt vinegar, salt. You might feel better if you peel some of the potatoes...I hope this helps.
Thank you, it does help

I'll try peeling some of them. I couldn't work out if I needed the fibre to supplement the resistant starch (if eating them cold) or if I should remove them when eating hot potato to maximise the insulin spike (not that I've been eating them in sufficient quantity to create a spike, as far as I know).

I wish I had a better understanding of the principles behind this but it seems it will be a while still until the research (such as it is) is published.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I really couldn't sleep last night. I just tossed and turned. I was thinking of having a yukon or two in the middle of the night, but I really wasn't hungry. Today, I had to switch to red bliss. I prefer the russet and the yukon, but my store was limited with their organic selection.
I am on day 5 of 6. I added some onions to the crock pot for today's and tomorrow's meals. Also, I had a little baker's chocolate sweetened with stevia. I hope that the fat in the chocolate will not derail me since I am not adding any other fats to my day other than what is in the potato.
I am reading all I can find on line re the PH. A lot of the info comes by way of forums that take time to read.
Can anyone help out with what to eat tomorrow, in terms of ending the hack? I think it is potatoes, other low glycemic veggies and fruit. I was thinking of adding some protein in with 2% greek yogurt and a little fat with my baker's choc treat. I hope that will work.
BTW, reading the other forums is a riot. They seem much more aggressive than any of the LC or HCG forums.

Last edited by fiveninepointfive; 03-08-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Old 03-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

I did a potato hack for 5 days. At the end of it, I was craving foods with protein and fat, so I ate things like soft-boiled eggs and sardines in olive oil and coconut butter. I was eating a high fat/lowcarb/moderate protein diet before the potato hack, and I felt great going back to it after the hack.

The people posting on the paleo boards scare me! They can be vicious in their responses, especially the young males. I think there's way too much testosterone and too little JUDDD calm happening over there. I'm MUCH happier here.

Sorry you had trouble sleeping. I was feeling tired and irritable at the end of 5 days of potato hacking, and I'm glad to have ended it. But I'm going to try a very clean potato hack (just seasoned potatoes and lemon water) for two weeks in April, after a rest from my "potato fatigue" (literally and figuratively).
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
BTW, reading the other forums is a riot. They seem much more aggressive than any of the LC or HCG forums.
Quote:
The people posting on the paleo boards scare me! They can be vicious in their responses, especially the young males. I think there's way too much testosterone...
And no censorship/moderators!
We definitely have some friendly & helpful people around here,
but that's partly due to the Terms of Service and hard-working admins!!!
They keep the nasty people out...and keep the rest of us in line when we get a little snarky!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:39 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I am reading all I can find on line re the PH. A lot of the info comes by way of forums that take time to read.
Can anyone help out with what to eat tomorrow, in terms of ending the hack? I think it is potatoes, other low glycemic veggies and fruit. I was thinking of adding some protein in with 2% greek yogurt and a little fat with my baker's choc treat. I hope that will work.
That seems sensible as a way of breaking your potato hack. Good luck with ending your PH, I hope it gave you the results you want.

Agreed on other forums. When you're just looking for information all of that aggression/snarkiness is pretty off-putting and makes it difficult to identify the useful stuff.

I'll be interested to see what happens when you end your PH. At present, my intention is to keep my PH going until 17 March. I have added in the rice and vinegar meal (to increase my UD calories which were falling woefully short) and the rash I'd developed after days of potato-only has cleared (may be a coincidence).

Last edited by SlowSure; 03-09-2013 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 03-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
That seems sensible as a way of breaking your potato hack. Good luck with ending your PH, I hope it gave you the results you want.

Agreed on other forums. When you're just looking for information all of that aggression/snarkiness is pretty off-putting and makes it difficult to identify the useful stuff.

I'll be interested to see what happens when you end your PH. At present, my intention is to keep my PH going until 17 March. I have added in the rice and vinegar meal (to increase my UD calories which were falling woefully short) and the rash I'd developed after days of potato-only has cleared (may be a coincidence).
I've been reading the forums to see how a PHer made out. It gets tedious. So i wont leave you hanging.
I sort fell off last night while entertaining. I had tositito chips and was up a pound this morning. It had been over four hours since meal so I talked me self into thinking it was ok.
Today, was day 6. The end I mixed my day of potatoes with 2% yogurt and raspberries. I lost about 2 lbs total from the hack. I'll update w any loses tomorrow. Then I'll be off to a champagne brunch.
Btw, from the hack, I wanted a little wiggle room in my weight range, to curb my sweet tooth, end my quick gains and spikes from carbs and alcohol. We shall see.
Good thing your rash went away. Good luck w your hack!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

I'm also interested in hearing how you end the hack, food wise, and what kinds of results you see.
I've been off plan a few days, and may be a few more so I will be looking to possibly jump start my re-entry into weight loss mode. Been reading over on the Stillman's board. Funny how the thought of a PH, and I'm like NBD but only protein for days & I think No Way!!
We'll see how bad the damage is...may just go back to JUDDD rotations.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm also interested in hearing how you end the hack, food wise, and what kinds of results you see.
I've been off plan a few days, and may be a few more so I will be looking to possibly jump start my re-entry into weight loss mode. Been reading over on the Stillman's board. Funny how the thought of a PH, and I'm like NBD but only protein for days & I think No Way!!
We'll see how bad the damage is...may just go back to JUDDD rotations.
It didn't work for me as far as I can tell. I seemed to have bounced back to where I started. I don't mind really. I didn't struggle during the hack. I may have benefited in small ways. I'll update.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Mon, 147.5, PHD 1
Tues, 148, PHD 2
Wed, 147.5, PHD 3
Thurs,145.5, PHD 4
Fri, 145, PHD 5 (ate tortilla chips)
Sat,146, PHD 6, (added back LF protein, berries)
Sun, 147 (went to champagne brunch & indulged)
Mon,151
I wish my weight didn't shoot up so high. It baffles me that I could weigh six pounds more over the course of the weekend. I only took off one day from watching my diet carefully. I posted my stats to follow through, but I am bummed.

Last edited by fiveninepointfive; 03-11-2013 at 07:24 AM..
Old 03-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

6# fat = 21,000 calories.
No way the brunch was that good! Drink lots of water & prepare for a whoosh
Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
6# fat = 21,000 calories.
No way the brunch was that good! Drink lots of water & prepare for a whoosh
Exactly. I am also going to do the P&I, HCG steak correction day. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

That math is the only thing that talks me "off the ledge" when I have a bounce. I'm getting less susceptible to scale induced mental anguish , but it is still there
Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That math is the only thing that talks me "off the ledge" when I have a bounce. I'm getting less susceptible to scale induced mental anguish , but it is still there
Monday, day 2 after PH,149.
I did a true steak day. It wasn't as hard as they have been in the past. I woke up with a 2 lb loss. I also did an exercise class using light weights.
Tuesday, day 3 after PH, 147.5.
I ate my usual way. When I plugged into Lose It, my nutrients looked like this: 52%F/35%P/13%C, 1600 cal. I woke up to a 1.5 lb loss. That has never happened to me, dropping down without some sort of a plan.
I am going to continue to eat my usual way to see if some more of my recent gains drop off on their own.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Tuesday, day 3 after PH, 147.5.
I ate my usual way....That has never happened to me, dropping down without some sort of a plan.
I am going to continue to eat my usual way to see if some more of my recent gains drop off on their own.
It will be interesting to track what happens with you. Some of the commenters at Feed The Animal reported that they started to drop after they had finished the PH, some of them with an intermediate gain.

Who knows what's responsible? Definitely not me. But I'm pleased to see this shift for you
Old 03-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Today, my weight stayed the same, even though (early) TOM arrived yesterday. I ate my usual way, but used reg mayo so I was concerned. I usually make my own.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
I did a potato hack for 5 days. At the end of it, I was craving foods with protein and fat, so I ate things like soft-boiled eggs and sardines in olive oil and coconut butter. I was eating a high fat/lowcarb/moderate protein diet before the potato hack, and I felt great going back to it after the hack.

The people posting on the paleo boards scare me! They can be vicious in their responses, especially the young males. I think there's way too much testosterone and too little JUDDD calm happening over there. I'm MUCH happier here.

Sorry you had trouble sleeping. I was feeling tired and irritable at the end of 5 days of potato hacking, and I'm glad to have ended it. But I'm going to try a very clean potato hack (just seasoned potatoes and lemon water) for two weeks in April, after a rest from my "potato fatigue" (literally and figuratively).
haha. It's their inner caveman coming out! lol
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote