Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: maidofstone
the scale does matter to me : (

Hi ,

Im always lurking on here , don't post often,

I have been doing JUDDD off and on for a while but I'm back on it and committed now as I really enjoy this way if eating .

When I first did JUDDD I had great success then became pregnant so stopped, the first time I was not doing any exercise. This time round I have joined a gym and I love it but the scale is just not moving at all!

I'm working out really hard for an hour 4-5 times a week , I mix up my exercise so not to get in a rut and I do 2 spinning classes a week and I know everyone says ignore the scale but I'm 5ft 3 and 11 stone ! I don't want to be putting in all this work and still be overweight , I know people will tell me to measure and ignore the scales but it is just do frustrating dies this mean I will always be this weight?

I have been going to the gym for about 6 months now so would be expecting to see the scales catch up now , its really getting me down and I'm starting to question JUDDD although when I did it the first time round without exercise the weight dropped off but I don't want to give up the gym.

I'm really confused and fed up with being this weight ,

Any advice welcome : ) or if anyone has had this happen and then started to see results ?
maidofstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Make sure you are not exercising so much that you calories are always too low to create the gap you need for success. For example if you eat 1800 calories on your Up day but then burn off 500, you are not going to have enough calories to make you body think you are out of stress response. Its sounds weird, but its true.
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 44yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
What brewstate said! Huge hugs to you, too...it's so frustrating when you don't see any scale movement. (even when you know you're doing everything right!) Kudos for you doing so much exercise!!!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

thanks , I don't think that's the problem I only go for an hour do I doubt I'm burning tons of calories and I eat very well on my up days : ) but I will keep an eye in that thanks : )
Old 03-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 44yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
So you are using your 20% no exercise numbers for UD & DD?
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

P.s sorry about the typo's silly iPhone! Autocorrect : )
Old 03-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I don't count on up days but I kind of count in my head and don't eat stupid amounts ( I read on here I think that dr Johnson says the up day calculation is not a set amount of what should eat rhe calculator is more for the down day ) I try not to go roughly over 2000 though , I eat 500 or less on down days sometimes just fast as u find once I eat I'm more hungry, I did this first time round which was about a year and a half ago and i was losing about 2 lbs a week the only thing I'm doing different is the exercise
Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Maidofstone! That is so frustrating. My good friend went faithfully to the gym for over a year and didn't lose any weight at all. She toned up, but was still quite a bit overweight. It made me believe that exercise by itself doesn't help us lose the extra weight.

You might need to start weighing and measuring your foods and really countint calories, just for awhile, to make sure you're on track. Just doing that could make all the difference. JUDDD has a way of getting us out of stalls from other WOEs when done properly. Best of luck to you! And keep active on here - it's what made the difference for me in being able to stick with it!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Maidofstone, I am super impressed about your exercise routine!
I was wondering if you had calculated what your juddd calories are using the weight loss mode with little or no exercise? the majority of juddd buddds say this is what they do to lose weight, even if they are exercising. This should put your UDs around 1600-1700 calories and your DDs around 300 something. Unfortunately sometimes the exercise does not help you to lose weight, and then you have to look to the calories. Good luck, I so hpe you figure this
out!
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thanks lowcardgal : )

I understand why some people don't lose at the gym, I know people who go but then eat more because they have worked out so it just undoes he work but I really thought because I'm doing JUDDD i would tone up and lose weight , I really like this way of eating and when I stick to it it becomes a way of life for me and I feel better and enjoy it but I also really love the gym now and don't want to give either up but so I'm going to stick properly to JUDDD for another month and if in still not losing I might have to try the normal calorie counting .

I know what everyone is saying about the measuring and I haven't measured but noticed fitting in things better but surely I'm not going to keep getting smaller and smaller and still weigh 11stone! the scales have got to catch up at done point so I must be doing something wrong : (
Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Hotintexas,

Thanks for reply : ) I do not eat back my exercise calories, I just did the calculator based on little or no exercise , some days I go a little over on up days but not by loads and mist down days I fast as I get hungrier eating the 300 cals , I have been on and off JUDDD though so maybe its because I've not been consistent I'm sticking at it now though to see what happens
Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: akilah
Stats: 145/133/120
WOE: zone
Start Date: late october 2012
on up days you NEED to eat back the calories! it really depends on your heart rate...but if you are going for an hour a day you very well could be burning 600 calories at a time...and if you are only eating 1800...but burning 600...your body is only getting 1200... so your not eating enough on UD...you should invest in a heart rate monitor..i know its scary to eat back the workout calories in fear of thinking you burned 500 when you only burned 200...but the heart rate monitor will help you big time! i have one on my bike..and now I know exactly how hard and how long I have to work to burn a certain amount of calories
akilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: akilah
Stats: 145/133/120
WOE: zone
Start Date: late october 2012
and I personally hate how those calculators are set up...1-3 days? 3-4 days? well what if you workout everyday but its only for 20 mins?? vs. someone that works out 3 days a week but works out for 1.5 hour at a time...the best thing to do is take your sedentary maintenance calories and add on the workout calories...so for me if i sit on my butt all day and don't work ( im a cocktail waitress) and don't exercise..I use 1800...if its a non working day and i workout HIIT for 30 mins on my bike...I use 2100...if i workout, and work the same day..i use 2500 calories for the day.
akilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/199/147?
WOE: JUDDD modified
Start Date: July 11, 2012
You poor thing, we're giving you conflicting advice! Some are saying eat back your calories, others are saying use the no exercise calories ....

If I can add yet another opinion, I'm really sorry to say this, but Dr. Johnson says if you have stopped losing, it's time to start counting your up day calories. I started JUDDD doing well not counting and then had to start counting at least some up days in a week if I want to lose after about two months. I know (and totally agree) that this is a PAIN and not nearly as easy as only counting down day calories, but if you aren't losing this is something to try. If you're feeling like counting is a drag, you could make a deal with yourself to count every other up day, or all the up days in a week except for one.

I'd start with trying to eat pretty close to the calorie number you get in the calculator, as accurately as you can, with the no exercise numbers and see what happens.

Also, we have a thread going about how exercise is not a friend to the scale, even though good things can be happening to your body composition. You should see some movement after six months though? So I suggest trying to count the calories and see.
calichris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I second (third, fourth) the advice that you might need to start tracking your calories on up and down days-- even just do it for a week as an experiment, to gauge if your estimations are correct. Can't hurt, and you might be surprised... I learned that 2 tsp of butter is much less than I thought, but also, that I thought I could eat a huge amount of meat (like, 16oz or about 1/2 a kilo!) and in reality, it's usually about 1/2 that amount that satisfies me.

Most nutritionists (who I don't necessarily believe in ) start a consultation with having you keep a food journal. So-- whether it's paper or online or an app on your smartphone, find something that you like and just keep track of every morsel for a week.

And, another second of opinion-- take your measurements. No, you won't be 11stone forever, but you'd really be surprised at how your body composition can change. Especially after being pregnant-- things *move*

So-- relax, sounds like you're doing great. Work smarter, not harder. You're working plenty hard. Now, let some technology and a simple tape measure relieve some of your stress!

and congratulations, and so glad you're not lurking anymore!!!
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maidofstone View Post
I don't count on up days but I kind of count in my head and don't eat stupid amounts ( I read on here I think that dr Johnson says the up day calculation is not a set amount of what should eat rhe calculator is more for the down day ) I try not to go roughly over 2000 though , I eat 500 or less on down days sometimes just fast as u find once I eat I'm more hungry, I did this first time round which was about a year and a half ago and i was losing about 2 lbs a week the only thing I'm doing different is the exercise
It may be time to start counting. It's OK to not count if you are losing well, but you may get your answer as to why your not losing after 1 week of counting UDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Maidofstone! That is so frustrating. My good friend went faithfully to the gym for over a year and didn't lose any weight at all. She toned up, but was still quite a bit overweight. It made me believe that exercise by itself doesn't help us lose the extra weight.

You might need to start weighing and measuring your foods and really countint calories, just for awhile, to make sure you're on track. Just doing that could make all the difference. JUDDD has a way of getting us out of stalls from other WOEs when done properly. Best of luck to you! And keep active on here - it's what made the difference for me in being able to stick with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
You poor thing, we're giving you conflicting advice! Some are saying eat back your calories, others are saying use the no exercise calories ....

If I can add yet another opinion, I'm really sorry to say this, but Dr. Johnson says if you have stopped losing, it's time to start counting your up day calories. I started JUDDD doing well not counting and then had to start counting at least some up days in a week if I want to lose after about two months. I know (and totally agree) that this is a PAIN and not nearly as easy as only counting down day calories, but if you aren't losing this is something to try. If you're feeling like counting is a drag, you could make a deal with yourself to count every other up day, or all the up days in a week except for one.

I'd start with trying to eat pretty close to the calorie number you get in the calculator, as accurately as you can, with the no exercise numbers and see what happens.

Also, we have a thread going about how exercise is not a friend to the scale, even though good things can be happening to your body composition. You should see some movement after six months though? So I suggest trying to count the calories and see.

I'm sending hugs and encourage you to count 1 week worth of UDs. Maybe you are way over what you think or perhaps way under. A food scale, measuring cups and measuring spoons are great tools! In my early days when I didn't count I was under and that was not really good on a long term basis.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much everyone for all your great advice

I will definitely take it all on board

I will really try to track my up days for a while and see if I'm maybe going way over or maybe under ( I doubt that! )

I'm also really glad to be back doing this and will be sticking at it properly this time I have tried do many other different things but when I stop doing juddd I feel awful physically it seems to have an overall good effect on me .

I will keep you all posted how I am doing and see what happens

Thanks again