Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
How to manage UD's

I think most of us can agree this would be the perfect WOE if we could get our UD's in order. For me it has been difficult as I feel I have to stuff my face because I can't eat tomorrow. JUDDD has been extremely forgiving and I have still managed to lose over 7lbs in a month, but for me to continue this WOE and for my own piece of mind, I need to eat less on UD's.

I have found that now after 4 weeks it is easier (I'm hoping this is the effect of SIRT1) but I was hoping we could share strategies for UD's. What has worked for me lately has been incorporating 2tb MCT oil in two doses commencing with breakfast on an UD for satiety and I have found this to be really beneficial with my hunger and delaying eating food (not on DD though due to calories)

I have gone cold turkey on nuts, I cannot control nuts at all and I have been using UD's as an excuse to pig out on them. I will get my crunch from a bowl of raw veggies. I will make a rule to eat of a bowl of veggies every UD for the crunch factor and to see it as my "vitamin pill"that I have to take.

Today I am going to buy some L-Glutatime powder. I have read two doses early morning and before bed on an empty stomach; fairly high doses of a total of 15mg. I have read the effects won't kick in for a week and when they do then I am to taper down the dose. Is this what others are doing?

I look forward to hearing about your strategies on UD's.
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Familyvet
Stats: 230/200/<160 5'8" 44yo
WOE: Atkins on and off for years, JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD 2/20/13
I mentally divide my calories into 3 meals, usually 500/500/1000. I try to save my calories for dinner in case I go out, but if I go out for lunch I go lighter on dinner. I am not a big cook, so it seems that if I want to get in 1000 cals in one meal I almost have to go out (but only for one meal). I do CO in my coffee every day, and do not "count it" or worry about it...I feel like it boosts my metabolism and curbs my hunger. I'm not sure if this is what saps my appetite, or just fasting in general, but I feel like I have to almost force myself to eat the 1000 cal meal. I have learned from my JUDDD BUDDDS that "you gotta eat"!

I must admit that I am not a judicious calorie counter, because I HATE NUMBERS! I don't even balance my checkbook, I just keep it all in my head...works better for me. Funny, I do the same with my calories as my my money. I think I overestimate a little so that I make sure I have a cushion!

However, I do not eat doughnuts or fries or things like that, except on rare occasions (I spent years on LC telling myself that that is poison to me and I have finally come to believe it, I guess!--primal has always made sense to me) Chocolate in moderation doesn't count

I am far from a "health nut" but I try to start every day with a green smoothie because it is fast, easy, fills me up and I can drink it on my way to work. That way I know I have at least gotten something healthy in if I finish the day with nachos or something not-so-primal! The other thing is that I put a limit from the beginning, ie...if I go out for Mexican, I limit myself to one small bowl of salsa with chips...I don't ever see it as "unlimited"...I estimate :/ the calories and try my best stick to it! (I HATE that bloated-I-ate-way-too-much feeling!) This is a VERY forgiving WOE!!!

Most of these are recent changes that just "happened" when I started JUDDING...I promise I would not still be here if it weren't for all of you! You BUDDDS have made me see that not everything works for everyone (started with a potato hack that made me feel like a bloated whale, but did wonders for DW) and to just keep on keeping on until you find your groove! The best thing is that I now feel in CONTROL for the first time in my life...and the scale is bouncing downward!

My 2 cents...it may change tomorrow, but for now it's working GREAT for me!

Great thread....keep the ideas coming!
John 3:16
I am a WHOSOEVER!!!!
Familyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Mojocat - are you the sort of person who can meal plan for a week ahead? I typically have a plan which is stupidly flexible because erratic working hours and even more erratic public transport mean that it's very difficult to be sure of when someone will be home.

My UDs for the next week are being given over to the PH (if I can continue to eat them). However, typically, I make curries or stews which non-dieting people can eat all the time and that OH and I eat on UDs. If either of us is too late home to eat it, then it becomes the lunch of one of the non-JUDDers the next day. If we didn't get home from work until after 23:00 then we might be hungry but reluctant to eat a large meal knowing that we need to sleep in order to be up by 06:00 so, we eat Welsh Rarebit (cheese on toast) with some tomato; eggs on toast with bacon relish and smoked tomato; sausage sandwich or a similar, easy to prepare, substantial snack. If we can't face savoury, then I usually have a very rich servian kheer or rice pudding in the fridge (it's all too easy to eat 600-800 kcals of either).

We usually have a fish pie during the week but I tend to save cooking fish fillet or fish steak for the weekend when I have a better idea of when people will be home so I can prepare it to order (so to speak).
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Part of my successful UD strategy is to save calories for the evening. I'm not usually hungry in the mornings at all. So, I have half and half in my coffee. Maybe come coconut oil in hot chocolate late in the morning. Then lunch is really heavy on non-starchy veggies like salads or a veggie soup with some lean poultry or fish chopped up and stirred in. Or some fat free Greek yogurt with a few berries.

I drink lots of water and some iced green tea throughout the day.

If I keep the calories low and the volume satisfying during lunch then I can relax and enjoy what everyone else is eating for dinner and maybe even have some wine with it.

Everyone is different. Some people have to start off with a substantial breakfast. I have always found that if I eat breakfast, I just want to eat all day and I tend to go way over my calorie allotment.

I have 1900 calories to work with on an UD and you can get lots of food for that amount!

Keep experimenting and find out what works best for you.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Part of my successful UD strategy is to save calories for the evening. I'm not usually hungry in the mornings at all. So, I have half and half in my coffee. Maybe come coconut oil in hot chocolate late in the morning. Then lunch is really heavy on non-starchy veggies like salads or a veggie soup with some lean poultry or fish chopped up and stirred in. Or some fat free Greek yogurt with a few berries.

I drink lots of water and some iced green tea throughout the day.

If I keep the calories low and the volume satisfying during lunch then I can relax and enjoy what everyone else is eating for dinner and maybe even have some wine with it.

Everyone is different. Some people have to start off with a substantial breakfast. I have always found that if I eat breakfast, I just want to eat all day and I tend to go way over my calorie allotment.

I have 1900 calories to work with on an UD and you can get lots of food for that amount!

Keep experimenting and find out what works best for you.
Hmm, wonder if I should try that on my UD's? Nibble til dinner that way I can pretty much eat whatever I want. I get 1741 on UD's so I still have to sort of watch it. Eating a couple of hundred at breakfast and lunch, plus a snack really wont leave you a lot to have for dinner. I guess technically it does if you watch it. I'm saying you couldn't really shoot the moon at dinner. I may just need to keep a straw in my mouth on DD's and just drink myself full to help me not to over consume.
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I find planning is key. Not necessarily a week in advance, but I often plan for a big night out a few days out. but most UDs I just plan the night before

I usually plan my favorite meal (dinner) first, and then breakfast, and then whatever's left, that's lunch/snack.
If I do have an event, like a brunch or something, then I look up the restaurant, try to figure out what I'll have, and budget the rest of the day around that.

Sometimes my UDs are carbier, but I know I feel better and I think lose better, when I try to keep carbs down to a dull roar. I don't know that number exactly, but I think under 100 net grams? Maybe less... like 50 or so. I don't fuss over it, I just try not to have refined carbs in all 3 meals on an UD (like, if I have some in 1, then I avoid in the other 2 if possible) and that usually works out.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Saving up is a good strategy when you have a big/carby/calorie-laden dinner planned. Like I do tonight. So far I've had 2 big mugs of coffee w/1T HWC each, and I just now had a FF greek yogurt for "lunch" at 2:45. Now I have all the calories I need for food, drink, and dessert tonight.

Yes, dessert. I HAD to make a cheesecake, because I had 2 packages of cream cheese that had already passed it's "best if used by" date, but was still okay. Can't let that go to waste!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

<nodding> Duh. Cheesecake is a nessessity. Everyone knows that. Pshhhhh.

What flavor, is it with or without sugar, with/without crust, and when will I see a picture and the recipe? THESE are critical issues!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #9

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
It's a plain Sour Cream Cheesecake - Alton Brown's recipe actually (he never lets me down). With full sugar and the graham cracker crust in his recipe. 676 calories for 1/10th of the cake, by my calculations, so quite expensive. I hope it's worth it! Wish you could come over and have a piece!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #10

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm another one who budgets for lighter meals early in the day and saves a bunch of caloreis for dinner. I just increased my UD calories, but they were around 1750 or so. I usually have 300-400 for breakfast, 300-400 for lunch, no snacks during the day, or just a very small one only if needed, and then 1000 for dinner, drinks, snacks, whatever in the evening.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I'm still a big fat fail and go well over my UD's. Last night I was in pain from a full bloated stomach and suffered from insomnia. I have no doubt I have some allergies happening because I crave the same food over and over, although the bloating is probably from just plain old overeating.

I'm OK during the day until mid afternoon and evening and then I just lose it. I spent a lot of time on the internet and read that afternoon/evening compulsive eating is a stress response. I'm just better off not eating, as soon as the gates open they flood. The DD's aren't fun but they are much easier because I can tell myself I can eat more tomorrow. UD's are a different matter....I'm rewarding myself which I shouldn't do..

I need to plan more. I'm giving myself another month and then may need to reassess if the the alternate day rotation is for me and whether I just mentally can't get past the feast/famine mentality.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
I'm still a big fat fail and go well over my UD's. Last night I was in pain from a full bloated stomach and suffered from insomnia. I have no doubt I have some allergies happening because I crave the same food over and over, although the bloating is probably from just plain old overeating.

I'm OK during the day until mid afternoon and evening and then I just lose it. I spent a lot of time on the internet and read that afternoon/evening compulsive eating is a stress response. I'm just better off not eating, as soon as the gates open they flood. The DD's aren't fun but they are much easier because I can tell myself I can eat more tomorrow. UD's are a different matter....I'm rewarding myself which I shouldn't do..

I need to plan more. I'm giving myself another month and then may need to reassess if the the alternate day rotation is for me and whether I just mentally can't get past the feast/famine mentality.
That sounds just like me I eat my breakfast and lunch then when dinner comes I'm like the cookie monster in the cookie jar and then before you know it "oh snap" where'd my calories go?
Old 03-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I finished today with around 1200. Just going to start fresh tomorrow with a DD and get back on the wagon. I didn't gain it all back so that's a plus. And I think I'm going to go buy more chicken broth to help with my DD hunger. I've got to get more yogurt too. It's pretty low cal but lots of protein.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jm - yogurt is totally my dd reward! I spend half my dd calories on it. Sooo luxurious tasting, and a lot of nutritional bang for the calorie-buck, IMO.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post

I too have the after lunch hungries on UD's. I have found that drinking a cup of broth at that time sure helps me not to start eating non stop. I can then have my dinner at home and be satisfied. Also if it gets really bad I make a fresh pot of coffee as soon as I get home and sip that with some HWC until I get my meal ready to eat. helps keep my calories in check.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
Jm - yogurt is totally my dd reward! I spend half my dd calories on it. Sooo luxurious tasting, and a lot of nutritional bang for the calorie-buck, IMO.
It is very yummy and satisfying. I have a favorite that's only 80 cal. Didn't know if we could post brand names? But it's a lot of yogurt for the calories and I love the taste!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Greek youghurt 1% is my favourite; it tastes like cream to me and at a whopping 16g of protein it fills me up for about 97 calories. I slice up an apple, sprinkle cinnamon on it and dip it into the youghurt.

Cocoa crack with frozen blueberries setting in the fridge- very decadent and high calorie with the CO but kills my appetite for hours. The frozen blueberries thaw and spurt in your mouth as you eat the cocoa crack...beautiful.

A big bowl of sliced raw veggies; zucchini, sugar snap peas, yellow/red bell peppers in the fridge is helping with my nut fetish, love the crunch. The secret is planning and preparatation so they are cut and ready in the fridge to grab quickly. Being stuck without food makes me think about nuts as they are quick and easy, so yes planning and preparation beforehand is a must.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBM View Post
Didn't know if we could post brand names?
I believe the latest version of the site rules says you can mention brand names, but no links to any site that sells anything (at all). You could say "google XYZ and it will be the 3rd thing on the page" or you could say "I love fage yogurt" and that's fine.