Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Question about SIRT 1 gene

I've been off rotations for more than 3 weeks. (Traveling and eating all my meals plus more every day!) I'm sure the SIRT 1 gene is diminished or gone.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it will take me to build up the flow of the SIRT 1 gene again?

Do you think it will take me all of 2 weeks or more like it did long ago when I first started JUDDing?
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I think someone said 2 weeks was when it starts to go away, so if you've been off rotations for 3 weeks, it may be a restart situation. I'm not sure though.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kellysue24
Stats: 279/250/200 (first goal)/150 (ultimate goal)
WOE: I'll try anything once
Start Date: September 3, 2009
I don't mean to thread jack, but can someone explain the whole gene thing to me??? I read it, but I still don't get it.
kellysue24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Yam-Yam, I had three weeks off rotations last month and had no problems whatsoever as soon as I re-started strict JUDDD rotations. Here are my Feb stats, full of UDs!

01/02 - U - 130.8
02-04 - U - DNW
04/02 - D - 133.8
05/02 - U - 131.6
06/02 - U - 131.8
07/02 - U - 133
08/02 - U - 132.8
09/02 - U - 132.4
10/02 - U - 132.2
11/02 - U - 133
12/02 - U - 132.8
13-19 - U - DNW - away
20/02 - D - 135.6 - OUCH!
21/02 - U - 131.8 - phew!
22/02 - D - 132.2
23/02 - U - 132.6
24/02 - D - 134.8 - water retention from last night's crisps (chips)
25/02 - U - 132.8
26/02 - U - 133.8 - turned this into a UD so I can do a proper 300cal DD tomorrow
27/02 - D - 133.8
28/02 - U - 131

The extra few pounds melted straight off and seem to be staying away.
Just dive back in and good luck!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Kelly, this is from Dr Johnson:

If you have tried other diets and experienced frustration and disappointment with the results, you may be wondering how the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet™ is different. Why is the plan so effective in helping people lose weight and, more importantly, keeping that weight off? How does the diet help slow the aging process, reduce the risk of inflammatory disease, and offer other such remarkable benefits? The answers lie in the activation of SIRT1, the "skinny gene" that can be turned on by … an alternate-day calorie restriction diet. ...

What is SIRT1?
SIRT1 is a gene found in humans and other mammals that helps to promote survival by protecting cells during times when food (and therefore energy) is scarce. ...

SIRT1 acts as a "rescue gene," repairing the damage done by free radicals and preventing cells from dying prematurely. The gene also causes mitochondria, the power plants of cells, to produce energy at higher levels that are typically associated with younger cells. As a result, SIRT1 is believed to be a principal regulator of lifespan.

The Benefits of SIRT1
The SIRT1 gene, or "skinny gene," assists with weight loss by inhibiting fat storage and increasing fat metabolism. By causing the body to store fewer fat cells, SIRT1 can also slow the aging process by reducing the risk of age-related diseases and health threats, including heart attack and stroke, diabetes, arthritis, and osteoporosis. These conditions have all been linked to an excess amount of fat cells in the body.

In addition, SIRT1 can reduce markers of inflammation and oxidative stress, two other primary causes of aging. Studies show that individuals who live to be 100 years old have lower levels of oxidative stress, meaning fewer free radical cells, than those who live to be 70. Oxidative stress is also thought to be a more reliable indicator of heart disease than cholesterol levels or other factors. In his study on asthma patients, Dr. Johnson showed how restricting calories on alternate days can raise SIRT1 levels and reduce symptoms associated with inflammation. ...

How is the gene activated?
SIRT1 is activated by calorie restriction …. the UpDayDownDay Diet™, a method of alternate-day calorie restriction, so that individuals can receive the benefits from "turning on" the SIRT1 gene while losing weight at the same time.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Flossy: GREAT POSTS! Wow, your stats are fab-YOU-lous!!! I'm in! Woooo-Hooooo!

Now I cannot wait to step on that scale tomorrow. This DD is turning out to be such a relief.

All these weeks I have felt the eating was compulsory for one reason or another. Of course, it was MY choice.

Some of my reasoning: Full, hot breakfast at hotels were included in the price...going through the buffet, everything looked great and I didn't want to be the only one not eating even though I'm never hungry at breakfast. Dumb, huh?

Family members treated us to a concert and anniversary dinner (DH and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary). Our server brought a huge piece of chocolate decadence cake on the house for our celebration. Could I refuse? Maybe, but I did not!!!

DS and his darling wife made calzones from scratch and waited anxiously for DH and I to eat what they served and tell us how yummy their cooking was! We did and we did!

DSIL brought lunch and snacks in our golf carts as we golfed 18 holes. Did not want to make her feel bad. Subway sandwiches, crackers, cheese, sodas and fruit. I could feel my waist expanding with every bite.....

Well, now I'm back to managing my own food! Finally!!! Yay for DDs and JUDD!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 03-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Yam-Yam I felt so relieved to be able to manage my own food again!
I'm sure my lack of gain last month was due to sirtuins, though I'm fairly confident I didn't overeat.
Congratulations on your 40th anniversary!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
Yam-yam and Flossie, thank you for the posts! Such great testaments to the fact that we can struggle through our rotations, failing on occasion due to social restrictions, and we just can plug right back into the JUDDD system and fix it! YAY! Life isn't perfect, and we don't have to be, either. Hey JUDDD BUDDDS, it's all GOOD!
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
oooooo I am halfway to a ticker!
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Yam-Yam I felt so relieved to be able to manage my own food again!
I'm sure my lack of gain last month was due to sirtuins, though I'm fairly confident I didn't overeat.
Congratulations on your 40th anniversary!

Thanks! I am so happily married. Geesh! 40 years goes by fast!!!

I'm so with ya. Controlling my own food today feels great. No more pressure. I'm super satisfied and, to boot, I'm happy with myself for getting through a great DD fairly easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmietoo View Post
Yam-yam and Flossie, thank you for the posts! Such great testaments to the fact that we can struggle through our rotations, failing on occasion due to social restrictions, and we just can plug right back into the JUDDD system and fix it! YAY! Life isn't perfect, and we don't have to be, either. Hey JUDDD BUDDDS, it's all GOOD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmietoo View Post
oooooo I am halfway to a ticker!
Kim: I certainly have found that to be true time and again over these past many months. This is the easiest plan to get back to. It's actually a relief and a joy to get back to rotations. Certainly is a joy to come back here!

Your stats are awesome! You are doing so great. I think the more you post the faster it will be ticker time. So, post away!