Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kellysue24
Stats: 279/250/200 (first goal)/150 (ultimate goal)
WOE: I'll try anything once
Start Date: September 3, 2009
Very interested in JUDD

I've never heard of JUDD until this go around with Atkins. I am pretty intrigued. My husband and I are almost through our first week of induction and we've both lost 10 pounds.

I kind of understand how JUDD works, but I don't know how many DDs you get and UD. I also would love to know some examples of UD food. I feel very addicted to carbs and now that I've gone through the detox, I don't want to add too many, but like the idea of less restriction of foods.

I would LOVE some help with all of this. I've read the sticky and the website.

Is it good for people who have a lot of weight to lose? Not that I want to lose really quick, but I do want results quicker than say WW. Is that possible with JUDD? I do know things will slow down from the 10 pounds we lost this week. Do you lose 2.5 weekly with Judd? Did I read that right?

I am pretty sure I am insultant resistant. Is that good for me? I know my metabolism is so jacked up.
kellysue24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
KellySue! I also stayed fairly LC when I started JUDDD, and then right around the holidays started adding them back in so I could enjoy the treats and seasonal foods/drinks. And I lost 9 pounds in December! I couldn't believe it - I don't think I've ever lost between Thanksgiving and Christmas before. Hardly ever even maintained.

I do strict EOD (every other day) rotations, unless some event has me change them up, which I've managed to do only a few times in 6 months. If you find your "sweet spot" of UD and DD calories, you can lose at a really good rate. At least, I can. Check out my stats and you'll see that I had, and still do have, a bit to lose. It's still working like a charm!

I hope you love it as much as I do. Read as many of the threads as you can. Ask all the questions you want. This is truly an amazing board with wonderful people. Good luck to you and hubby!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
KellySue! I also stayed fairly LC when I started JUDDD, and then right around the holidays started adding them back in so I could enjoy the treats and seasonal foods/drinks. And I lost 9 pounds in December! I couldn't believe it - I don't think I've ever lost between Thanksgiving and Christmas before. Hardly ever even maintained.

I do strict EOD (every other day) rotations, unless some event has me change them up, which I've managed to do only a few times in 6 months. If you find your "sweet spot" of UD and DD calories, you can lose at a really good rate. At least, I can. Check out my stats and you'll see that I had, and still do have, a bit to lose. It's still working like a charm!

I hope you love it as much as I do. Read as many of the threads as you can. Ask all the questions you want. This is truly an amazing board with wonderful people. Good luck to you and hubby!
Wow you've really had some really great success. What does your typical week look like? food wise too, what do you eat? I am scared of the DD because I'm scared I'll eat the carbs and crave me more.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

If you really want to know details, you can check out our daily threads. They're usually titled something like UD Saturday, whatcha eating, or DD Saturday, what's on the menu, or something like that. I usually post on those.

But in a nutshell, I do lots of protein/fat only DDs. Always coffee w/HWC for breakfast and often for lunch. Then eggs or bacon or meat of some kind for dinner. I just love the satiety I get from LC foods, and my body feels better when I eat LC(ish). UDs I allow myself more leeway, like I eat potatoes and starchy veggies (peas, squash, corn) and do eat pizza when I want it, crust and all. I've been allowing myself desserts when they fit into my calories too. I didn't do that for my first couple of months of JUDDD, but now it feels great to have what I want on UDs.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
If you really want to know details, you can check out our daily threads. They're usually titled something like UD Saturday, whatcha eating, or DD Saturday, what's on the menu, or something like that. I usually post on those.

But in a nutshell, I do lots of protein/fat only DDs. Always coffee w/HWC for breakfast and often for lunch. Then eggs or bacon or meat of some kind for dinner. I just love the satiety I get from LC foods, and my body feels better when I eat LC(ish). UDs I allow myself more leeway, like I eat potatoes and starchy veggies (peas, squash, corn) and do eat pizza when I want it, crust and all. I've been allowing myself desserts when they fit into my calories too. I didn't do that for my first couple of months of JUDDD, but now it feels great to have what I want on UDs.
Did you start out on Atkins or basically other no-carb/low carb plan? I am trying to figure out if we should finish induction or switch to this.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
JUDDD is great for weightloss, but everyone loses differently. I lost about 10 pounds per month, most months. A little less on months that included a vacation or such. UD/DD is every other day. It's so simple, just rotate and lose. We have a bunch of UD and DD menu threads. Your diet can include or exclude anything you wish. JUDDD just cares about the calories. Adhere to those and you should do great!!!!!!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

I started with Atkins, not really Induction levels, and did that for about 2 months. Slow losses. So I knew I needed to do Induction levels and stayed there for about 5 months and lost well. But it was slowing at the end. That's when I switched to JUDDD, but honestly, I pretty much still ate Induction level carbs the majority of the time for a couple of months.

Just know that if you guys add in carbs all at once, you will very likely gain a few pounds. That's just your body rebuilding it's glycogen and fluid stores, and it'll come back off in a week or so. And then, the weight should just keep going down! But the scale does bounce around on JUDDD. If you weigh every day, you'll see a lot of up and down. Totally normal! But the trend should always be down.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I was thinking on those UDs just adding in complex carbs and fruit. Still staying away from sugary treats, but allowing things like a burger.

I am kind of scared at the calorie counting aspect. Do you think that's hard?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Sounds smart to me. The calorie counting is kind of a pain, but I'm kind of OCD about it. I do it every day, no matter what. I think it's important in the beginning, because we so often don't estimate very accurately. I find it really helps me. I've saved most of the recipes and products I regularly eat on my online counter, so now that they're all in there, it's pretty simple most days.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysue24 View Post
I was thinking on those UDs just adding in complex carbs and fruit. Still staying away from sugary treats, but allowing things like a burger.

I am kind of scared at the calorie counting aspect. Do you think that's hard?
No, it's not hard and like anything else you get use to it. I would strongly suggest using a food scale, measuring cups and measuring spoons. Serving size was the biggest shock to me in the beginning.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

So on DD you can basically eat whatever too though as long as you don't go over your calories. According to the calculator mine is 466.

Part of me doesn't know if I am really wanting to do something easier or just have an excuse to eat carbs and go down my food addiction journey again.

This is a pretty tough decision.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
So on DD you can basically eat whatever too though as long as you don't go over your calories. According to the calculator mine is 466.

Part of me doesn't know if I am really wanting to do something easier or just have an excuse to eat carbs and go down my food addiction journey again.

This is a pretty tough decision.
When I started juddd I kept to 20 net carbs a day for the first month. I learned that I actually am not carb sensitive, but once believed I was. You can stick with induction level carbs and add them back very slowly- one food at a time to see how you react. Plenty of the juddd buds stay low carb and juddd for added loss and health beneefits.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Is the whole premise that the fasting on those DD helps your metabolism thus making you lose more? I think at this point, I'd be more interested in staying how we eat now, but incorporating the DDs.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Is the whole premise that the fasting on those DD helps your metabolism thus making you lose more? I think at this point, I'd be more interested in staying how we eat now, but incorporating the DDs.
The UD/DD keeps your metabalism guessing. Just before you go into starvation mode- end of DD you get fed since it's UD.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Hi Kelly sue! I did Atkins for a month before abruptly switching to juddd. What made me switch is I started to stall on Atkins basically after the first week, figuring most of what I lost was water weight, and that, for me it would be slow going after that. If i ate more than 17 or 18 net carbs, i usuallly gained a little! So also what really made me switch is knowing that I, Personally, would not be able to do atkins for the rest of my .life, and even if I lost the weight I wanted to, I would eventually have to learn another way to maintain. So I switched. I am actually eating healthier than I ever did now that I'm on juddd. It's just awesome, there are no restrictions, so it's your choice what you eat and don't.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Do you guys eat out a lot? We tend to, but on Atkins it's not so hard because I can always have a salad or just eat meat and veggies. How do you eat on on your UD?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

It's not a free for all on UDs. Basically you will learn to indulge, but not over-indulge. For instance, you can go out for dinner, and eat a 1000 calorie meal. And you could also later have your favorite 500 calorie piece of cake. But then the rest of the day you would have to be careful of what you eat so you don't go over. Or on an UD you could eat a 200 cal breakfast, a 500 cal lunch. And a 700 cal dinner, and then have hundreds more to play with. It's all about choices, and you decide how you want to do it.
I have cut out lots of things that don't really matter to me and I don't miss for the most part, and now I just have all the things I love. It's wonderful!

As you lose, your calorie numbers do go down, but you are learning along the way how to manage them. One thing I have learned, is I still like to eat the fat and protein that I learned to love on Atkins.

Last edited by hot-in-texas; 03-02-2013 at 12:43 PM..
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I think my fears are that I won't be able to accurately track what I am eating since I can't always measure. We got out a lot, we got to friends a lot and because of work, I eat at venues a lot. Second, I am so addicted to food, I am scared one bite of a carb will send me into a binge :/

This whole thing has been running through my head all day. Especially when my parents asked us to come over for lunch tomorrow after church and I had to say no because we can't eat what they are
Old 03-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

I don't eat out that much, or go to venues like ever lol. But when I do go out, I look up the restaurants nutrition info and just go by that. I don't worry that it might not be right, I just trust that it is with my fingers crossed. Not all restaurants are going to have their nutrition info out there, so you can at least find out what's on their menu first and look up the calories of specific things. Like calories in rice or calories in full fat dressing, calories in 8oz new York strip, etc etc. You get suprisingly pretty good at figuring out what calories are in stuff. If I'm not exactly sure, I always found up or add 30 or 50, just to be on the safe side. And you would be surprised when you look up the calories in restaurant stuff. There's a LOT. You still might have to keep it simple as it is pretty simple to figure out the calories in proteins and veggies. Carbs at restaurants, not so much.

About bingeing-for me personally, I haven't binged since starting juddd, but I have figured out what my triggers are(fried foods). Just try not to go wild at first. You won't

Last edited by hot-in-texas; 03-02-2013 at 01:01 PM..
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
The great part about JUDDD versus atkins is that YOU choose what you will eat, not the plan. If you eat out a lot it might be hard to know what you are eating and you will have to plan for that, but you would never have to say no to going out with someone because you can't eat anything they have at their house or at a restaurant (I've been there before) instead, do a ballpark of the calories you probably ate, eat moderately and otherwise don't worry about it. Its a very healthy way to eat because it trains your mind to think in terms of what you really want and to learn some moderation. I no longer have to stuff my face full of food because its "allowed". Instead, I judge whether I'm hungry and if I am I eat.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Dawn is a self-proclaimed "eat out alot-er" so hopefully she can chime in as well.
If you have the time to page through old threads, there have been several in the last few weeks of gals looking to switch from Atkins to JUDDD; lots of good info there too.
Counting calories is as important to JUDDD as counting carbs was to Atkins (i think) but take some time to get familiar with the common foods and such.
Welcome!!!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

We are going to start JUDD tomorrow. It will be an UD, but we've decided we will still avoid all sweets and breads. We will have basically whatever else, but we'll count calories.

On DD you can literally have whatever as long as you stay below your recommended calories?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Exactly. I do hope you find this a pleasure and that you soon see the success you deserve.

Try to keep it simple at first. The rotations are what makes it work along with following your calorie numbers. Don't be put off by the 500 calorie DDs, if you are low carbing you probably won't feel hungry.

Join in the March Newbie thread and get to know,everyone.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:

On DD you can literally have whatever as long as you stay below your recommended calories?
Yes!! Isn't that really cool?! That was the hardest thing for me to wrap my head around - I could eat nothing but chocolate cake and still lose?? How awesome!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #25

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Dawn is a self-proclaimed "eat out alot-er" so hopefully she can chime in as well.
If you have the time to page through old threads, there have been several in the last few weeks of gals looking to switch from Atkins to JUDDD; lots of good info there too.
Counting calories is as important to JUDDD as counting carbs was to Atkins (i think) but take some time to get familiar with the common foods and such.
Welcome!!!
Here I am! Sorry, I was out most of the day today and just saw this.

I rarely cook and we eat out a bunch! Today, for example:

B: Everything bagel with cream cheese, banana, coffee (The bagelry I go to does not have nutritional information, so I use a common bagel place's calorie counts from the on-line tracker I use)
L: Cheesecake Factory Skinnylicous turkey, avocado, bacon sandwich with salad (They have the calories listed in a nutrition guide on the tables)
D: Probably rotisserie chicken and veggies (again, I just choose an option in my on-line tracker for rotisserie chicken)

I often have wine and always count that in my calories. My tracker has a phone app so I have no excuse not to count something BEFORE it goes into my mouth. It keeps me accountable and helps me plan my day.

As you can see, I don't limit carbs at all anymore. I came from Atkins, jumped ship and ate whatever I wanted for a weekend, gained 3 pounds, and called that my JUDDD start weight. I'm now in maintenance, having lost 117 pounds, about 107 of that with JUDDD, eating out all. the. time. JUDDD truly doesn't care WHAT you eat, just how many calories you're eating. If you feel better, or more in control, with low carb, that's entirely up to you.

A typical DD for me would be:

B: Just tea or coffee, black. I count the calories and depending on the tea or coffee it can be as much as 5 calories per cup. I have some compulsions, so I HAVE to count it. Some don't.
L: Small Wendy's chili (210 calories)
D: Usually instant miso soup lately (25 calories), or I'll nuke some fish and veggies and just count the calories. Swai is the lowest calorie fish I've found at 70 calories for 4 oz. I often pair it with brocolli or green beans.

My DDs are often between 200-400 calories and I feel perfectly satisfied.

ETA: My other go-to eat out on a DD place is Subway. I can get a turkey/ham salad with just vinegar for dressing, most of the veggies offered, no cheese, and it's only 110 calories.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD

Last edited by KeirasMom; 03-02-2013 at 04:53 PM..
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
I don't eat out that much, or go to venues like ever lol. But when I do go out, I look up the restaurants nutrition info and just go by that. I don't worry that it might not be right, I just trust that it is with my fingers crossed. Not all restaurants are going to have their nutrition info out there, so you can at least find out what's on their menu first and look up the calories of specific things. Like calories in rice or calories in full fat dressing, calories in 8oz new York strip, etc etc. You get suprisingly pretty good at figuring out what calories are in stuff. If I'm not exactly sure, I always found up or add 30 or 50, just to be on the safe side. And you would be surprised when you look up the calories in restaurant stuff. There's a LOT. You still might have to keep it simple as it is pretty simple to figure out the calories in proteins and veggies. Carbs at restaurants, not so much.

About bingeing-for me personally, I haven't binged since starting juddd, but I have figured out what my triggers are(fried foods). Just try not to go wild at first. You won't
Very smart! After yesterday I will definitely look up restaurants before going out to eat.
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Kelly Sue! Hope you find success here!
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Here I am! Sorry, I was out most of the day today and just saw this.

I rarely cook and we eat out a bunch! Today, for example:

B: Everything bagel with cream cheese, banana, coffee (The bagelry I go to does not have nutritional information, so I use a common bagel place's calorie counts from the on-line tracker I use)
L: Cheesecake Factory Skinnylicous turkey, avocado, bacon sandwich with salad (They have the calories listed in a nutrition guide on the tables)
D: Probably rotisserie chicken and veggies (again, I just choose an option in my on-line tracker for rotisserie chicken)

I often have wine and always count that in my calories. My tracker has a phone app so I have no excuse not to count something BEFORE it goes into my mouth. It keeps me accountable and helps me plan my day.

As you can see, I don't limit carbs at all anymore. I came from Atkins, jumped ship and ate whatever I wanted for a weekend, gained 3 pounds, and called that my JUDDD start weight. I'm now in maintenance, having lost 117 pounds, about 107 of that with JUDDD, eating out all. the. time. JUDDD truly doesn't care WHAT you eat, just how many calories you're eating. If you feel better, or more in control, with low carb, that's entirely up to you.

A typical DD for me would be:

B: Just tea or coffee, black. I count the calories and depending on the tea or coffee it can be as much as 5 calories per cup. I have some compulsions, so I HAVE to count it. Some don't.
L: Small Wendy's chili (210 calories)
D: Usually instant miso soup lately (25 calories), or I'll nuke some fish and veggies and just count the calories. Swai is the lowest calorie fish I've found at 70 calories for 4 oz. I often pair it with brocolli or green beans.

My DDs are often between 200-400 calories and I feel perfectly satisfied.

ETA: My other go-to eat out on a DD place is Subway. I can get a turkey/ham salad with just vinegar for dressing, most of the veggies offered, no cheese, and it's only 110 calories.
Dawn, how much did you lose on JUDD alone? Was the transition to this easier than atkins? I feel like I am so limited that I want the food more. If I knew it was coming, it wouldnt be so bad.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #29

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Dawn, how much did you lose on JUDD alone? Was the transition to this easier than atkins? I feel like I am so limited that I want the food more. If I knew it was coming, it wouldnt be so bad.
107 pounds with JUDDD. I always felt restricted with Atkins and I don't with JUDDD (and now 5:2). The learning curve is similar in terms of what sort of knowledge you need. With Atkins, you have to know the carb counts of everything you're eating. With JUDDD, you have to know the calorie counts of everything you're eating. It's the exact same process to look up calories or carbs, so I think it's identical. Once you know what keeps you satisfied on DDs and what your foods are like on UDs, it's easy peasy. I don't have to count on DDs because I always have the same things. UDs, I almost always have the same things for breakfast and lunch, so I really only need to think about dinner. And I always leave plenty of calories for dinner because that's where I get most of my variety (Indian, Thai, Japanese, Mexican, etc.) When we're going out for a good meal, I want to have plenty of room to play with my calories. I'm pretty boring with my other meals.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
107 pounds with JUDDD. I always felt restricted with Atkins and I don't with JUDDD (and now 5:2). The learning curve is similar in terms of what sort of knowledge you need. With Atkins, you have to know the carb counts of everything you're eating. With JUDDD, you have to know the calorie counts of everything you're eating. It's the exact same process to look up calories or carbs, so I think it's identical. Once you know what keeps you satisfied on DDs and what your foods are like on UDs, it's easy peasy. I don't have to count on DDs because I always have the same things. UDs, I almost always have the same things for breakfast and lunch, so I really only need to think about dinner. And I always leave plenty of calories for dinner because that's where I get most of my variety (Indian, Thai, Japanese, Mexican, etc.) When we're going out for a good meal, I want to have plenty of room to play with my calories. I'm pretty boring with my other meals.
How long were you overweight? Do you feel like you had some issues with your metabolism? I know mine is shot to crap.