Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Need advise regarding UUAD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/798215-need-advise-regarding-uuad.html)

tobelowcarber 03-01-2013 10:43 AM

Need advise regarding UUAD

So, I had a good breakfast consisting of egg and turkey salad on oopsie rolls and then I have fallen into bucket of roasted almonds with honey and another bucket of yogurt with honey and than I was in apple orchard heaven, bringing my total calories way over 4000.
I am not too happy to start a new month with UUAD :cry: I have been struggling lately with my UD becoming UUAD, so I have decided to increase my DD calories from 400-500 to 600-800. I thought by eating more on DD I will keep UUAD under control. I have only done 2 DD with higher calories, so maybe it is too early to say if this not working yet.

I am debating weather I should stay with increased DD calories or do 5:2 or 4:3. I am pretty much at the goal. Actually, everyone is telling me I should not loose anymore weight, that I am starting to look too skinny. I know it shows on the my face the most, but I still have belly I would like to get smaller. I would be the most comfortable between 115-118 lb, to have little cushion. I have hormonal binges every month (around ovulation and then for 10 days before TOM), so I know I need that cushion.

I was wondering which method is better to keep SIRT flowing plus to help with binges:
-Doing regular rotation but with higher DD calories
-5:2 or 4:3. If I choose these- should I stick with regular JUDD calories? I don't know why am I so afraid of 5:2. Maybe I should start with 4:3 for a month with fixed MWF as DD.

I don't want this binging monster make me quit JUDD again. So I think a new month, is a good time to get this under control.
What do you suggest ?

KeirasMom 03-01-2013 10:55 AM

I'm really happy with 5:2, but I don't have binging issues. Linda (Beeb) is finding success with 5:2 as well, and finding it to help with the binging. I don't really know what to tell you though. :dunno: Maybe try it and see how it goes for you? Or give it a little longer with the higher DDs and see how that works.

I use my JUDDD numbers with 5:2.

hot-in-texas 03-01-2013 12:03 PM

:console: I don't think you're going to salvage today, but that doesn't mean you've sabotaged yourself. I think you may have to take nuts off the table(literally) as it seems they are a trigger for you. Could you try chewing gum, and maybe something with caffeine(hate to be unhealthy, but it is a natural appetite suppressant) when you start getting hungry?
I haven't reviewed your menus, are you getting enough fat and protein otherwise.
Higher DDs actually make me want higher UDs, but that's just me.
:console:

LoCarbGal 03-01-2013 12:10 PM

TBLC, you're just experiencing what we all do from time to time. Let today be what it is - an UUAD, and then start again tomorrow. I don't know what to tell you about how to manage your calories, or how to best retain the sirtuin benefits. Hopefully someone way more knowledgable will chime in soon. In the meantime :hugs:. Don't beat yourself up!

tobelowcarber 03-01-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16288703)
I'm really happy with 5:2, but I don't have binging issues. Linda (Beeb) is finding success with 5:2 as well, and finding it to help with the binging. I don't really know what to tell you though. :dunno: Maybe try it and see how it goes for you? Or give it a little longer with the higher DDs and see how that works.

I use my JUDDD numbers with 5:2.

Thanks Dawn. I will pop-in your 5:2 thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot-in-texas (Post 16288853)
:console: I don't think you're going to salvage today, but that doesn't mean you've sabotaged yourself. I think you may have to take nuts off the table(literally) as it seems they are a trigger for you. Could you try chewing gum, and maybe something with caffeine(hate to be unhealthy, but it is a natural appetite suppressant) when you start getting hungry?
I haven't reviewed your menus, are you getting enough fat and protein otherwise.
Higher DDs actually make me want higher UDs, but that's just me.
:console:

Thanks, Texas. I wish I was drinking coffee, but unfortunately I can't have caffeine. Regarding not keeping the nuts in the house, I tried it, but the carvings are so strong that I end up going to the grocery store. I eat plenty of protein and fats. My problems start around ovulation and before TOM. I can like a normal human any other time of the month :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16288866)
TBLC, you're just experiencing what we all do from time to time. Let today be what it is - an UUAD, and then start again tomorrow. I don't know what to tell you about how to manage your calories, or how to best retain the sirtuin benefits. Hopefully someone way more knowledgable will chime in soon. In the meantime :hugs:. Don't beat yourself up!

Thanks LoCarbGal!

tobelowcarber 03-01-2013 12:36 PM

So I just took a large piece of paper and did all the variation on 5:2, 4:3, combo of 5:2 and 4:3, regular rotation with higher DD calories and this is what comes down to:

UD 1600, DD 500 cal

• 5:2 = weekly 9000 cal, daily average 1285 cal
  • 4:3 = weekly 7900 cal, daily average 1128 cal
  • Alternating weeks of 5:2 and 4:3, daily average 1126 cal
  • Regular UD DD rotation but with 800 cal DD and 1600 cal UD=weekly 8000 cal, daily average 1142 cal
Since I don't have much to lose and I am over eating on UD, I have decided to go with the hybrid of alternating weeks of 4:3 and 5:2 . So one week I will have 3 DD and next week 2 DD and so forth. I think that should be interesting. Ok, maybe I am nuts, why can't I just do 5:2 or 4:3? because I think this will keep my body guessing. I can always switch back to original rotation.
I will be starting my experiment on Monday.

So my rotation will look like this:

M-DD, T-UD, W-DD, TH-UD, F-DD, S-UD, SUN-UD, M-DD, T-UD, W-UD, TH-DD, F-UD, S-UD, SUN-UD

hot-in-texas 03-01-2013 01:15 PM

well, Marika, I would say you are addicted. I can understand, as nuts are delicious, and wholesome-just like honey and apples. have you tried the supplements here that others say help with cravings?
here are a few thoughts-1.could you allow yourself 3/4 cups of nuts twice a day on your UDs-in place of meals, leaving you around 300 calories for the rest of the day? Until you've had your fill. I used to be addicted to baby corn, and would eat it out of the can( i know, yuck) after doing this for a while, i became sick of it, now I am nauseated when i even smell baby corn.
2. Could you substitute sunflower seeds in there shells, more time consuming, less calories
3. are you getting enough magnesium in your diet and othe minerals
4 hypnosis(i know someone this actually workded for with chocolate cravings.)

sorenkkg 03-01-2013 01:20 PM

:hugs: Marika. I don't have advice unfortunately, but I think you're on your way with your analysis and what others have said.

Although I keep honey in the house and I like it on yogurt, I don't seem to overdo it. Not sure why, but happy I guess. I have UUADs too, and the beauty of any IF plan is, you always have tomorrow to get it back together.

:hugs: again my friend!
S.

hot-in-texas 03-01-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobelowcarber (Post 16288939)
So I just took a large piece of paper and did all the variation on 5:2, 4:3, combo of 5:2 and 4:3, regular rotation with higher DD calories and this is what comes down to:

UD 1600, DD 500 cal

• 5:2 = weekly 9000 cal, daily average 1285 cal
  • 4:3 = weekly 7900 cal, daily average 1128 cal
  • Alternating weeks of 5:2 and 4:3, daily average 1126 cal
  • Regular UD DD rotation but with 800 cal DD and 1600 cal UD=weekly 8000 cal, daily average 1142 cal
Since I don't have much to lose and I am over eating on UD, I have decided to go with the hybrid of alternating weeks of 4:3 and 5:2 . So one week I will have 3 DD and next week 2 DD and so forth. I think that should be interesting. Ok, maybe I am nuts, why can't I just do 5:2 or 4:3? because I think this will keep my body guessing. I can always switch back to original rotation.
I will be starting my experiment on Monday.

So my rotation will look like this:

M-DD, T-UD, W-DD, TH-UD, F-DD, S-UD, SUN-UD, M-DD, T-UD, W-UD, TH-DD, F-UD, S-UD, SUN-UD

OK! Sounds like a plan! Let us know!

Carly 03-01-2013 01:47 PM

Your plan sounds great and I would love to hear how it works, however the only thing that would help me with this issue is NOT KEEPING ANYTHING I might over eat on IN THE HOUSE!

This is how I have pretty successfully dealt with the sleepwalk eating. This would be much easier for you since you could keep most foods in the house, but try not keeping nuts, honey and yogurt around.

We literally go to the store 5 nights a week to get what we need. It sounds extreme, but I weigh 125 today thanks to not keeping anything I could sleep eat in the house. HTH.

tobelowcarber 03-01-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16289120)
Your plan sounds great and I would love to hear how it works, however the only thing that would help me with this issue is NOT KEEPING ANYTHING I might over eat on IN THE HOUSE!

This is how I have pretty successfully dealt with the sleepwalk eating. This would be much easier for you since you could keep most foods in the house, but try not keeping nuts, honey and yogurt around.

We literally go to the store 5 nights a week to get what we need. It sounds extreme, but I weigh 125 today thanks to not keeping anything I could sleep eat in the house. HTH.

Carly- I think you are right. I can't have the trigger foods in the house. I work from home most days of the week, so I think I will have to have DH take honey with him everyday during PMS :hyst: and will stop making yogurt at home (just buy small container for DH).
I also think I will be giving up carbs second half of the cycle. Because I can't have even a bite as I lose total control.

tobelowcarber 03-01-2013 02:01 PM

I have UUADs too, and the beauty of any IF plan is, you always have tomorrow to get it back together.

Thank you Soren :hugs: That is a beauty of the plan along with other benefits

tobelowcarber 03-01-2013 02:02 PM

o

Librarygirl 03-01-2013 04:37 PM

Have you ever tried Wasabi Peas? They have them at most grocery stores, either in the nut section or the asian section. They are *hot* and a little goes a long way. You can have 55 for 130 calories. I've had a can that's supposed to have 10 servings for about 2 months or more. I've had way more than 10 servings too. :)

Librarygirl 03-01-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16289120)

I used to sleep eat when I drank too much. Now I'm finding that if I have particularly delicious cookies or sweets in the house, on a DD night if I get woken up I head to the kitchen and eat. No alcohol involved. It's not happening with 5:2, but it was beginning to be a problem on JUDDD. Not having "treats" in the house is a good idea!

mojocat 03-01-2013 05:14 PM

Marika you and I are so similar. Nuts, nuts, nuts, nuts...love them... can't keep them in the house but I keep falling in the self serve buckets in the supermarket. My UD and DDs are easier now - I think the SIRT1 has kicked in and I'm not as bad on my UD's as I was initially so I am loathe to change my daily rotation in case it halts the SIRT1 progress - I've come this far. I will watch your progress with interest. Like you I only have a little bit to lose - everyone tells me to not lose anymorel but I'm going overseas in July and I want some wriggle room.

We may be allergic to nuts and that's why we crave them. Only solution is cold turkey........................

mojocat 03-01-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16289472)
Have you ever tried Wasabi Peas? They have them at most grocery stores, either in the nut section or the asian section. They are *hot* and a little goes a long way. You can have 55 for 130 calories. I've had a can that's supposed to have 10 servings for about 2 months or more. I've had way more than 10 servings too. :)

Good idea - I've seen them - will have to try.

tobelowcarber 03-01-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojocat (Post 16289523)
Marika you and I are so similar. Nuts, nuts, nuts, nuts...love them... can't keep them in the house but I keep falling in the self serve buckets in the supermarket. My UD and DDs are easier now - I think the SIRT1 has kicked in and I'm not as bad on my UD's as I was initially so I am loathe to change my daily rotation in case it halts the SIRT1 progress - I've come this far. I will watch your progress with interest. Like you I only have a little bit to lose - everyone tells me to not lose anymorel but I'm going overseas in July and I want some wriggle room.

We may be allergic to nuts and that's why we crave them. Only solution is cold turkey........................

Mojo, you are right-cold turkey is the only solution. I have more self-control with nuts when I am not PMSing. I know I can't have a single nut or a touch of honey, yogurt or fruit during PMS. Even though I don't think I am allergic to these foods, I need to treat them as if I was.

tobelowcarber 03-01-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16289472)

Never tried them. Thank you!

Carly 03-02-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16289479)
I used to sleep eat when I drank too much. Now I'm finding that if I have particularly delicious cookies or sweets in the house, on a DD night if I get woken up I head to the kitchen and eat. No alcohol involved. It's not happening with 5:2, but it was beginning to be a problem on JUDDD. Not having "treats" in the house is a good idea!

Well, I don't drink so that isn't causing the sleepeating, but I've had this issue for 15.5 years :cry: I really don't want to jinx it be the lasy 3 weeks I have been sleeping better than ever and some nights straight through. I have no clue why, but I'm thrilled!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobelowcarber (Post 16289762)
Mojo, you are right-cold turkey is the only solution. I have more self-control with nuts when I am not PMSing. I know I can't have a single nut or a touch of honey, yogurt or fruit during PMS. Even though I don't think I am allergic to these foods, I need to treat them as if I was.

My cycle is totally irregular so sometime I don't know it's PMS, but I get hungry too during PMS. When I know that is the reason I just tell myself that it's not real hunger. My body doesn't really need more food and remind myself that Hunger Is Not An Emergency!!!!

Flossyliz 03-02-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojocat (Post 16289523)
We may be allergic to nuts and that's why we crave them.

That had occurred to me, reading your posts.
Dr Richard Mackarness discovered what he called "masked allergies" in people who didn't have allergic symptoms but craved what they were actually allergic to. His book "Not all in the Mind" was an eye-opener for me. I highly recommend it.

Flossyliz 03-02-2013 11:21 AM

Carly, that's great news about your improved sleep!

mojocat 03-02-2013 12:31 PM

Flossy it says that book is out of print, he died in 1996, I will have to source the library but what an amazing person! He seemed to be way ahead of his time suggesting low carb in the 50's. He donated proceeds from the book to Chemical Victims.

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm allergic to nuts and dairy. I found out I was allergic to eggs and have avoided them; and eggs, dairy, wheat and nuts are the main allergens. I crave greek yoghurt, coffee with cream and nuts. This will truly be harder than giving up sugar/wheat as I have. I miss eggs and omelettes though.

sunday 03-03-2013 06:56 PM

Yep, I am guilty. Nuts are my heroin. Raw pumpkin seeds, pecans, mac nuts & walnuts. I believe this became more apparent to me when I JUDDD because on UD, I went to town. :o

I suggest to only bring nuts in shell home. This will mean work to eat and you can't just grab a handful. You will have to take the time to crack and shell before eating. I learned this from paleo peeps, who seem to have this same addiction. Or as Carly recommended, NO nuts in the house. It seems that we all have our weaknesses and if it takes not having them in the house, that is the best answer for cure. I so empathize with you sis. :console:

mojocat 03-03-2013 07:47 PM

Sunday, there is no way I could keep nuts in the house. We can keep chocolate. biscuits, crisps at home and I have no interest in them. When I want nuts I head on to the supermarket, or if I'm already there and they call me with such a sweet melody I can't resist. It's because I see them as a healthy food, and not junk that it messes me, or I'm severely addicted to them. Only way for me is cold turkey, like I have done for most other SAD foods.

As for shells - you haven't seen me shelling pistachios - worthy of a gold medal, I have it down to an art form

Yes I agree, it was the OK to eat on UD's that got me going to town on fruit and nuts. I barely touched them in the past 12 months, apart from the occasional apple or berries. I'm doing this for another month to get as much weight off as possible and then I'm transitioning into maintenance. I'm not sure if I will raise the DD's (will that still cause the UD gluttony-before-famine response) or whether just plain old calorie counting at maintenance with the occasional weekly IF lean gains style thrown in for health reasons

sunday 03-03-2013 08:35 PM

mojo, That is a sweet melody that I know so well. I guess it is the same as sugar or cookies may be to some folks? I don't like sugar, wheat or grains.

I have to think of nuts as illicit until I am able to figure this out. :(
Such a shame and although I know it is my vice, I still long for the taste.

Flossyliz 03-04-2013 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojocat (Post 16291082)
Flossy it says that book is out of print, he died in 1996, I will have to source the library but what an amazing person! He seemed to be way ahead of his time suggesting low carb in the 50's. He donated proceeds from the book to Chemical Victims.

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm allergic to nuts and dairy. I found out I was allergic to eggs and have avoided them; and eggs, dairy, wheat and nuts are the main allergens. I crave greek yoghurt, coffee with cream and nuts. This will truly be harder than giving up sugar/wheat as I have. I miss eggs and omelettes though.

I read Mackarness in the 70s. He was way ahead of his time. His story about making someone drunk with a slice of toast made a huge impression on me!
A quick check showed me that Amaxxn UK has 18 2nd-hand copies of Not all in the mind for sale from 1p + postage. If you can't find it in your lbrary, you might want to try A's US site.

Looking at the things you crave, I notice they're high fat (unless it's fat-free Greek yogurt!). Have you been eating low fat for a long time? Could it be the vitamin D or some minerals your body's asking for?