Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Adi,
We used bovine colostrum for the study - sponsored by the dairy industry, way more $$$ for research. Although I did do a study with goat colostrum while I was in school, presented at the ADGA national meeting in Portland in 2002. But no one would publish it which was totally lame since it had never been done before in goats.
We did 60*C (140*C) for 60 minutes. Prior to the actual feeding studies, we took waste colostrum & seeded it with different bacteria, then experimented with how long it took to kill the bacteria. Mycoplasma and Mycobacterium (Johne's/tuberculosis) were the 2 that took the longest to kill. Of course, at this same time we looked at changes in the composition and texture of the colostrum to find the best time & temp to keep the immune factors intact and kill the bacteria. (We also used E. coli, Salmonella, Listeria, BLV - similar to CAE virus and BVD virus.)
After optimizing the protocol in the lab, we took it on farm to see how feeding it would work out practically as well as any impacts on the calf's health. Short version was that its pretty easy to do (we used a modified commercially available pastuerizer) and actually improved the passive transfer of the calves.
Its published in Journal of Dairy Science, 2006-ish, I think. Can't remember.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #122
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I miss you all too. We are real friends here.
Miss you too! Hope you're having fun and so glad you had a minute to check in.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BaileysGirl
Stats: 222/190.5/175
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: Jan 12 2013
Hi Everyone! The scale is slow going for me this month. I'm down 3 pounds so far. Can't wait til the girl scout cookies and lays chips are out of the house!

I'm excited as today I'm using my donut pan for the first time! Only because I don't have ramekins. I'm making these mini carrot cakes! Thought I'd share courtesy of my friend Sunny!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup of Almond Flour
1 tbs of Oat Fiber (for fluffiness)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbs of chopped pecans
3 tbs of Ideal Brown
2 tbs finely shredded carrot (I used a grater)
1 egg
2 tbs melted butter
1 tbs coconut milk
1/8 tsp of ground clove
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 drops of EZsweetz

Directions: Preheat oveb to 350. Mix all dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients, add and mix with the dry. Let sit for 5 minutes so the almond flour can absorb the liquid.
Spray two ramekins with coconut oil spray. Divide batter between both ramekins. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Check for doneness with toothpick. Should come out clean.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 tbs of whipped cream cheese
2 tablespoons of melted butter
Add one drop of EZsweetz (or more for your taste)
Mix well, frost cakes.

Natasha

BaileysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #124
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Adi,
We used bovine colostrum for the study - sponsored by the dairy industry, way more $$$ for research. Although I did do a study with goat colostrum while I was in school, presented at the ADGA national meeting in Portland in 2002. But no one would publish it which was totally lame since it had never been done before in goats.
We did 60*C (140*C) for 60 minutes. Prior to the actual feeding studies, we took waste colostrum & seeded it with different bacteria, then experimented with how long it took to kill the bacteria. Mycoplasma and Mycobacterium (Johne's/tuberculosis) were the 2 that took the longest to kill. Of course, at this same time we looked at changes in the composition and texture of the colostrum to find the best time & temp to keep the immune factors intact and kill the bacteria. (We also used E. coli, Salmonella, Listeria, BLV - similar to CAE virus and BVD virus.)
After optimizing the protocol in the lab, we took it on farm to see how feeding it would work out practically as well as any impacts on the calf's health. Short version was that its pretty easy to do (we used a modified commercially available pastuerizer) and actually improved the passive transfer of the calves.
Its published in Journal of Dairy Science, 2006-ish, I think. Can't remember.
Super interesting. I still pasteurize and heat treat since I believe the cow research about mastitis being passed from dam to daughter and anything I can do to help eliminte that problem I am all for it. Will try to see if I can find the research article. I also heat treat at 140 since the colostrum does not get the pudding sonsistency at that temp and I can be sure I am above 135 degrees.

I am experimenting with a high fat UD today and I had a 600 calorie breakfast. YIKES!!! But I am so not hungry for lunch yet so we shall see. Mid afternoon is what I am trying to make it through on most UD's. I start wanting junk about then. Looking froward to getting a garden planted and some FRESH food. I have hens setting but no baby chicks. I think I would do better dragging out the incubator. At least the incubator doesn't wander off and then end up on a different nest than the one she left. I must have really dumb chickens.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #125
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I want chickens and cute baby goats!
I think the landlord would be very angry...
My neighbors would be even more POed.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I think you have to look to bovine dairy research because you'll never match the research dollars in any other species. I am not one of those folks who believes a dairy goat is a miniature dairy cow, but there are some things we need to take a comparative approach or we won't get anywhere
In general I feel dairy goats & milk is cleaner, but I would never say no to pasteurization. Especially for intra-udder bugs. The last thing you want is Mycoplasma in your herd!!!!!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
At least the incubator doesn't wander off and then end up on a different nest than the one she left. I must have really dumb chickens.

piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #128
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I lived in CA for a couple of years in the 60's and always missed cream. Nothing was like the cream in the UK. (Lots of other things were wonderful though!)

But Clotted Cream is truly delicious.

I am really enjoying life rushing between 2 homes, how nice is that? But the heating has failed here in London so we are out and about or wrapped up in bed!

Good to see everyone chatting away as always.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
What a crappy weekend. I ended up with dry socket and an infection where they pulled the tooth. They put me on 500mg of penicillin 4x a day and Vicodin 5/500mg 3x a day. I woke up 4am Saturday crying because my face was swollen and I couldn't swallow and had a fever. Just miserable. It's throbbing today and my ear hurts but swelling is gone. On side note lump in armpit also went away with the antibiotic. Been living on yogurt, for every pill I have a container of it because I don't want a yeast infection on top of it, especially with that dose of penicillin. Between the pills and lack of activities I am at 173 this am. Once this all passes I am sure I will be at a nice loss though! He has one more tooth he wants to pull, but I think I will wait a while lol! Dentist said Thursday when he takes out stitches he will clean the area and put medicated gauze around it. Said if not dry socket can take weeks to heal....eekk! My hubby laughed but I was serious when I said childbirth was a walk in the park compared to this! Never had that before, don't want it again!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #130
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh Katiebubb. I am so sorry. I have never had a dry socket but have had only one tooth pulled that wasn't a wisdom tooh and that was recently due to it splitting down to the root. I so feel your pain but I never experienced what you are going through. And I hear you on the child birth pain. I have had one time when I felt the same way. Hope the medicine will clear it up and you can get on with life. We love you and are sharing your misery.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebubb View Post
What a crappy weekend. I ended up with dry socket and an infection where they pulled the tooth. They put me on 500mg of penicillin 4x a day and Vicodin 5/500mg 3x a day. I woke up 4am Saturday crying because my face was swollen and I couldn't swallow and had a fever. Just miserable. It's throbbing today and my ear hurts but swelling is gone. On side note lump in armpit also went away with the antibiotic. Been living on yogurt, for every pill I have a container of it because I don't want a yeast infection on top of it, especially with that dose of penicillin. Between the pills and lack of activities I am at 173 this am. Once this all passes I am sure I will be at a nice loss though! He has one more tooth he wants to pull, but I think I will wait a while lol! Dentist said Thursday when he takes out stitches he will clean the area and put medicated gauze around it. Said if not dry socket can take weeks to heal....eekk! My hubby laughed but I was serious when I said childbirth was a walk in the park compared to this! Never had that before, don't want it again!
Hope you feel better soon. I've heard those dry sockets can be so painful.
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Katiebubb, that sounds dreadful. Hope you feel better soon.
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #133

Sending big hugs, that sounds horrendous.

Suffering a second winter here and without heating at home it is not pleasant. I do have a couple of electric heaters but it isn't the same.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you everyone for the hugs and love.

Kissa, do you all have kerosene heaters over there? We have one for those days the electric goes out, or we run out of propane, etc. I love ours. A few winters back snow was so bad we lost electric for 4 days. We ran the kerosene heater for all of it. Had the home at 85 degrees and comfortable. Even made dinner on top of it! Sorry your cold. I hate being cold!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Katie I'd been wondering how you were doing! Sorry to hear you're having such a miserable time. I hope it all heals quickly and you soon feel better.

Cindy, my sympathies re your lack of heating. There's a bitterly cold wind blowing and, even with the fire on, I'm glad of my furry blanket today!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #136
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Natasha, that recipe sounds so yummy! I don't suppose you have calculated the calories for it?

Cindy, so sorry for the cold weather AND the heat failure! Brrrrr! Will the repairman be there soon?

Tanya, oh your poor mouth! Poor entire head really, right? I hope you're feeling better by now.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Have you pinpointed where/ what gets in your way? Is it something about UDs or about DDs? Is it a food choice that triggers you? If you kinda know what is getting in your way you may be able to address that piece since you've got the motivation and desire to JUDDD.
I think the only thing is that I just need to track my calories better, especially the UD. No foods set me off or anything. I usually fall way short of my UD calories. After today's weigh-in, it's mandatory I track my calories - something I do for a few days and then quit because I think I have a handle on getting those UD calories in without really tracking them. DDs I rarely have a problem with and if I do, it ends up being just a higher end DD. But that's rare. Thanks for putting the questions out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBM View Post
Is it just me or is anyone else addicted to these smilies? I must have too much time on my hands because I just enjoy them way too much.
No, I love 'em and there's a few I wish they'd add!!

Katiebub - hope you feel better soon!

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Vanilla, when I was having issues getting in all my calories. I went out and got a small white board for my fridge. I was able to track everything because it was right there and in my face. It helped a lot! I did have an app on my kindle that I was using. But it got to be a pain.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #139
Big Yapper!!!!

I want a bento box!! That is all.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I want a bento box!! That is all.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #141

Now I have to Google!

Tanya, hope you are feeling a bit better. But at least we get you visiting here more often.

Vanailla, you get counting girl, I was just commenting over on 5:2 how diligent you have been,

Thanks for the concern about my heating. The repair man came and went today without success. Needs some part they don't have. I could scream, we pay for insurance on our boiler...why? I mustn't feel sorry for myself as I am so very, very fortunate really.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Oh Kissa, I can't stand being cold. You poor thing!!!

Katie! HUGE HUGE HUGE hugs to you girl! Ack, dry socket sounds hideous! I am supposed to get my wisdom teeth out at some point but the fear of dry socket has kept me from doing so. I sure hope you start feeling better!

Nilla, YES count those UD cals girl! I am rooting for you!

I have lots of smilies I like, too. I saved a bunch from my SB journal place but can't copy them over here. I'm bummed!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebubb View Post
Vanilla, when I was having issues getting in all my calories. I went out and got a small white board for my fridge. I was able to track everything because it was right there and in my face. It helped a lot! I did have an app on my kindle that I was using. But it got to be a pain.
I use the food tracker on (Dottie's watching so I hope this is okay ) SP and I have their app on my iPhone. I log in and keep it open during the day. I also have a simple calorie counter app that I can use as well. My phone is attached at my hip so it's always handy - I just have to be diligent about using it!

Quote:
Vanailla, you get counting girl, I was just commenting over on 5:2 how diligent you have been,
Yes, ma'am I saw that . I counted everything yesterday (DD) and have my calories figured today up until I go home. Then I'll still have 800 calories to eat up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
Nilla, YES count those UD cals girl! I am rooting for you!
Thank you!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Boy do I miss JUDDD! I have been living on yogurt and salty potatoes chips for almost a week now. I want real food....a nice steak and baked potatoes or even a big old bowl of spaghetti! I am so hungry!

Just complaining is all..........
Old 03-13-2013, 04:37 AM   #145
Big Yapper!!!!

Katie, I hope your mouth feels all better soon.I know you don't want to lose this way! Maybe you can start a thread for the hardcore people out there..."Tooth Extraction Hack" Get well soon, hun.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Good Morning Everyone

I had a good DD yesterday and today is going to be a MD. I've needed to change my rotation to accommodate a social event on Saturday so I'm doing a MD & then an UD tomorrow.

I am so beat this morning. Boot camp was brutal with a capital B. I'm taking tomorrow off and resting these poor old bones!

Have a great day!

Lori
Lori_:) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #147
Big Yapper!!!!

I am alternating DD potato days with normal UD's. No potatoes on UD's. Yesterday evening I got really busy siince I was doing milk test and had a doe going into labor. I was craving POTATOES so grabbed a couple of cold boiled golds for dinner and after finishing up at almost midnight I had a glass of water and went to bed. Had a .2 loss after my UD too. My calories were right at 2000 since I had yogurt in the middle of the afternoon since I was just wanting something sweet. But I ate the whole quart. That was 600 calories and should have been my dinner. So I ended the day somewhere around 2000 calories and my UD's for maintenance are supposed to be 1586. If I can maintain by throwing a potato meal in on my UD I am all for it.
Who would think anyone would crave cold boiled potatoes?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #148

The potatoes really are magic for you Adi, isn't it great? Love a loss after an UD.

I saw a nice 124.6 on the scale today after a great low DD. Happy me.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Farm Gal
WOE: Fast-5
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
The potatoes really are magic for you Adi, isn't it great? Love a loss after an UD.

I saw a nice 124.6 on the scale today after a great low DD. Happy me.
So happy for you both!
Adi-I've lurked here for quite awhile before actually joining March 1st and you have been an inspiration for me!
Kissa-You are always everyone's cheerleader! Just wanted to give you "Good Job" back at ya!
Farm Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #150

Why, thank you so much Farm Gal. I am so used to maintenance that I forget the lower end is preferable to the higher end, lol.