Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #391
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Those chickies are just too cute! I want some! No seriously, I would love to raise chickens, but I don't think I can in my suburban neighborhood.

Adi, your potatoes are truly working for you. You're so good about sticking to them on your DDs, and even on your UDs too. Wonderful results!
Check on your suburban regulations. There are many neighborhoods in cities that are allowing "backyard" chickens. There are limits on the number and usually NO roosters due to the noise. I have seen some pictures of really elaborate coops that fit in with the landscape. My chickens are not that pampered.

And the potato DD has become my best diet trick. Easy easy.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #392
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
We had chickens when I was a kid. My dad built a coop in the backyard. It was fun collecting the eggs.
I am happy to say I lost a total of 2 lbs this month...I was hoping for more but too many UUADs? haha I only have 8.4lbs left to lose to get to my goal! I know the last few lbs are the hardest. I am going to the gym regularly so I know that will help.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #393
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Love the chick pics! They're so cute!

I was going to try to talk husband into some chicks this year but then my dad went and offered us 3 of his 1 year old layers. So no chicks for me I'm not sure we'll go through enough eggs to keep up with 7 laying hens but we were running out with 4. So I was having my dad bring eggs and then he finally decided since they have SO MANY hens, he'd just bring us more hens. I was like - Yeah, that's great now *I* have to feed them! I think I definitely lost that round.

I'm kinda ehhhh today. Had to tell a good friend her 18 yr old cat isn't doing well. She knew but I confirmed it. Sad business. And her husband is away in the Navy and I don't think I can keep her cat going until he's back. I'm good, but not that good. And there was a bounce on the scale this morning, only 0.9# and I know this happens. I've been potato hacking since Sunday and each day has been a steady trend downward so it was a little sad to see that bounce up. I had a few small indiscretions last night while making a red velvet cake & the cream cheese frosting. New recipes so I did do some small taste tests - I wasn't in there licking the beaters but apparently my body saw the fat & sugar as an invitation to horde...something? Anyway, kinda put a damper on the whole day. For some reason I'm a little Eeyore-esque. I'll get over it...thank you for letting me whinge.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #394
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Check on your suburban regulations. There are many neighborhoods in cities that are allowing "backyard" chickens. There are limits on the number and usually NO roosters due to the noise. I have seen some pictures of really elaborate coops that fit in with the landscape. My chickens are not that pampered.

And the potato DD has become my best diet trick. Easy easy.
Yes, I will. At the moment I don't have a ton of money for fancy coopage, but I'd love to do it in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet311 View Post
We had chickens when I was a kid. My dad built a coop in the backyard. It was fun collecting the eggs.
I am happy to say I lost a total of 2 lbs this month...I was hoping for more but too many UUADs? haha I only have 8.4lbs left to lose to get to my goal! I know the last few lbs are the hardest. I am going to the gym regularly so I know that will help.
You're doing great Kismet, especially considering how close to goal you are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I'm kinda ehhhh today. Had to tell a good friend her 18 yr old cat isn't doing well. She knew but I confirmed it. Sad business. And her husband is away in the Navy and I don't think I can keep her cat going until he's back. I'm good, but not that good. And there was a bounce on the scale this morning, only 0.9# and I know this happens. I've been potato hacking since Sunday and each day has been a steady trend downward so it was a little sad to see that bounce up. I had a few small indiscretions last night while making a red velvet cake & the cream cheese frosting. New recipes so I did do some small taste tests - I wasn't in there licking the beaters but apparently my body saw the fat & sugar as an invitation to horde...something? Anyway, kinda put a damper on the whole day. For some reason I'm a little Eeyore-esque. I'll get over it...thank you for letting me whinge.
So sad about your friend's cat. Losing them is just so hard. The thing about the potato hack is that you can seem to continue to lose for a few days after you've stopped doing it. Hopefully that'll happen for you.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #395
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I'm developing a cold - I rarely catch one so can't complain. Except I am because today is my first chance to get back on the water since February and I've missed kayaking so much over the last few weeks (DH was away and then it was cancelled because of the snow).

I'm looking forward to a greater variety of food when I transition away from the potato hack (final day today, day 28) but it's also going to feel a little odd. I hope that I handle the transition well.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #396
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Best wishes, SlowSure.

I just had to come in and giggle over the phrase "Fancy Coopage". That was too good to let pass, LoCarbGal.

Good job on the loss, Kismet.

Thanks for the knowledge and for recording your maintenance potato hack experiences in a thread, Adi. Looks like at least 3 breeds of chicks?

Blah days can turn cheerful, Yennie.

Carly, I'd love to be paying for our garbage collection again. Taken into a municipality by annex which was against resident's wishes, property taxes are awful. They pointed to our garbage collection as the benefit since we always had police - we were only changing from county police service. Now in addition to vehicle tax just for them (in addition to county), they're starting fees, too, for every vehicle you own. Frustrating.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #397
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post

Thanks for the knowledge and for recording your maintenance potato hack experiences in a thread, Adi. Looks like at least 3 breeds of chicks?
Well, they are mutts since I have a mixed flock and several roosters of different breeds. TO get purebred I need to lock up all of the roosters except one, wait a week and then collect all of the eggs from the same breed of hens. I will do that later but right now I am overwhelmed with stuff to do. No telling what they will grow up to look like. I just know they won't lay white eggs.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #398
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Well, they are mutts since I have a mixed flock and several roosters of different breeds. TO get purebred I need to lock up all of the roosters except one, wait a week and then collect all of the eggs from the same breed of hens. I will do that later but right now I am overwhelmed with stuff to do. No telling what they will grow up to look like. I just know they won't lay white eggs.
And I'm such a city girl that thought almost all hens laid white eggs. I've seen those tan ones occasionally, but never seen anyone buy them.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #399
Big Yapper!!!!

Guess you haven't seen the green and blue ones then. I love the colored eggs. I had a hen that laid a pink egg when you compared it with the tan eggs but I guess she was one that died along the way. Haven't seen a pink egg in awhile.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Fluffy laid brown eggs. I can't remember the names of the other ones. I know Halo was the Rooster lol He was one lazy rooster since he never cocka-doodle-dood before 8am
Old 03-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #401
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Fluffy laid brown eggs. I can't remember the names of the other ones. I know Halo was the Rooster lol He was one lazy rooster since he never cocka-doodle-dood before 8am
Mine need to take lessons from Halo. They make noise all night. Not sure if they ever sleep.

Since there is more than one rooster maybe they take turns being on watch.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #402
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I love the chicken chat! In the UK brown eggs is it, unless I buy duck eggs.

Jen, sorry you are having a tough day, sometimes being a vet must be hard. I am sure your friend is happy to have you with her at a time like this. Ascending hugs.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #403
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Jen, sorry you are having a tough day, sometimes being a vet must be hard. I am sure your friend is happy to have you with her at a time like this. Ascending hugs.
It has its ups and downs, just like anything else. One thing they forgot to mention is that the animals come with owners...
I do think there are days when it would be easier to be a physician. At least then if people don't follow your recommendations they're only harming themselves. Except pediatrics. I could not be a pediatrician.

The good news is the kitty is doing better. She's back on the kidney diet, getting lots of water and fluids, recheck exam with fluids on Monday and recheck labs on Friday. Her momma is much happier with how she looks...she knows its inevitable but I would love it if we could keep her going long enough for her hubby to get home from deployment.

For me personally, the hardest/worst part is when you fail to save something but the owners thank you anyway. Even if the poor critter was 3 feet in the grave, 4th on a banana peel, I still feel awful when they thank us for everything. I'm always like "Why are you thanking me? We failed?!" I know its not that straight forward and its irrational but its hard to lose a patient.

On that depressing note, I think I'll go baste the ham I'm baking from a home raised pig.

Happy Easter everyone!!! (Thank you for listening to me whinge, again, this time about death on a holiday that's supposed to be about life!)
Old 03-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #404
Big Yapper!!!!

Our vet and the other vets at the group are amazing. She loves our whole crew as do all the vet techs. When Salty died they sent us a beautiful card and had made a donation in his name to an animal charity... oh how I sobbed, but it was so sweet of them.

I don't think I could raise animals for consumption- I get way too attached. We had a robin lay eggs on the fire escape last year and when one of the eggs hatched I felt like a proud mama. Then one day they were gone

I named her tweety-pie and DW and I bought bird seed for her.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Old 03-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #405
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Well I made it to the 140's today (barely) 149.9. However, idk if I will be there at next weigh in. My Easter feaster was around 2800 cals! Guess I'm going to have to have a good DD tomorrow!
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #406
Major LCF Poster!

Omg I love that...Easter feaster! Mine was probably worth 3UDs lol good thing i went to the gym this morning!
Old 03-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #407
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Omg I love that...Easter feaster! Mine was probably worth 3UDs lol good thing i went to the gym this morning!
Well good then I'm not alone! I feel like a pig, but I'm hoping that LCG's theory of having a higher UD and then a really low DD after may just work in my favor. This is what I'm telling myself anyway so I don't feel so guilty. It was really yummy though. We had hash brown casserole, ham, mac n cheese, deviled eggs, green beans, key lime pie, and carrot cake!
Old 03-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #408
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I don't think I could raise animals for consumption- I get way too attached. We had a robin lay eggs on the fire escape last year and when one of the eggs hatched I felt like a proud mama. Then one day they were gone
I was having this discussion with a few other people recently. I think its different when you get them for that purpose & know it from Day 1. Certainly it's not for everyone but I feel very differently about the destined-to-be-food 4 leggeds compared to the companions-for-life 4 leggeds on the farm. And its not because they get treated differently - the steers live in the same pasture, eat the same hay and enjoy the same barn as my pampered show horses - they actually have it pretty good. I guess I just look at them, no matter what, and ultimately see steak, where as I look at the horses & dogs and see lifetime.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:41 PM   #409
Big Yapper!!!!

Jen, I hope you know how much your services and support mean to your clients. My little dog died several years ago, but we were able to prolong both her life and her comfort for nearly a year. She had failing kidneys, and the vet and her staff showed me how to give her subcutaneous fluids and sold me the supplies for an amazingly low price (I don't know for sure, but I suspect cost). Among other things. Every time a new problem cropped up, they had great suggestions that were inexpensive. And as we all stood in the room as they put her to sleep, the vet and the tech were dripping tears with me. They are gems, and so are you.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 03-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #410
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBM View Post
Well I made it to the 140's today (barely) 149.9. However, idk if I will be there at next weigh in. My Easter feaster was around 2800 cals! Guess I'm going to have to have a good DD tomorrow!
Well I feel much better now that I know I wasn't alone. I went a little crazy today on my "Easter feaster." Never thought I'd be so excited for a DD. Hope everyone had a great weekend.
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #411
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post

If you know from the beginning that food is why there are there, then it is not so bad. And I guess it gets easier as I get older. Now there is no way we use our goats for food. I gladly sell off the extra bucklings for someone else to eat but neither DH nor I can butcher one and processing at the slaughter house is way too high for the small amount of meat a goat carcass would provide. We stick to beef and pork. Nothing cuter than a baby pig but they get obnoxious pretty quick and I know they are there for my pork chops needs.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #412
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLi914 View Post
Well I feel much better now that I know I wasn't alone. I went a little crazy today on my "Easter feaster." Never thought I'd be so excited for a DD. Hope everyone had a great weekend.
Yeah, me too. I feel yuck! I think I may have a tummy bug as well so that may have something to do with it also. Either that or I made myself sick with all the food I had today. I'm hoping if I drink lots of green tea and water it will flush out my system.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #413
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Jen, I hope you know how much your services and support mean to your clients. My little dog died several years ago, but we were able to prolong both her life and her comfort for nearly a year. She had failing kidneys, and the vet and her staff showed me how to give her subcutaneous fluids and sold me the supplies for an amazingly low price (I don't know for sure, but I suspect cost). Among other things. Every time a new problem cropped up, they had great suggestions that were inexpensive. And as we all stood in the room as they put her to sleep, the vet and the tech were dripping tears with me. They are gems, and so are you.
I'm so sorry about the loss of your dear pet. My cat lived 8 months after her cancer diagnosis, and the vet staff was wonderful. The vet who handled the euthanasia was so kind and kept reassuring me that I was making the compassionate choice. The cancer had spread to Kitty's lungs and she was having trouble breathing at that point.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #414
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks gals

Appreciate it. I do know but sometimes losing sucks. I guess we all "lose" in the end so all the more reason to make the most of the journey!
I, too, ate way too much. And since I've been potato hacking the last 7 days I've had little to no fat for those days. Our dinner wasn't even *that* bad but boy does my tummy hurt!
I'm giving myself a home shellac manicure to ease my pain...
Old 03-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #415
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
I'm so sorry about the loss of your dear pet. My cat lived 8 months after her cancer diagnosis, and the vet staff was wonderful. The vet who handled the euthanasia was so kind and kept reassuring me that I was making the compassionate choice. The cancer had spread to Kitty's lungs and she was having trouble breathing at that point.
Thank you. It still hurts after 7 years, but I guess it always will. I'm so sorry about your cat, and I'm glad you too had a wonderful vet office to help you guys through it. I do believe at the end that euthanasia is the compassionate decision, but it sure doesn't make you feel any better about it at the moment.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #416
Big Yapper!!!!

Continue the discussion here...
April Daily Chat Thread