Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #241
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 7,755
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
The daily bounce doesn't rock my world (anymore)

I'll link it here as well. I feel like I've linked this a lot lately- a lot of talk about the bounce.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #242
Major LCF Poster!
 
Seabreezes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Paradise
Posts: 1,881
Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Why the scales lie!

I have posted the following before, but think it is always good to be reminded once in a while.

Why the scales can lie
It was posted by PenPen13. I have read this before and it is a good reminder as to what is happening to our body.

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.

However, if you give those fat cells some time, like 4-6 months, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

PATTERNS OF WEIGHT LOSS

Common patterns of weight loss from tracking a lot of people who become assimilated into the low carb lifestyle, a pattern emerges.... the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported. This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that the rate drops to only 1 pound per week.

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a weight-reduction" diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this. OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks. Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa! Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound each!

So... what gives? Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for about 3-5 pounds of water. In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10 initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking: Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin anti-diuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occurring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite suppression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a good thing.

From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging. Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself) is helpful. Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial water-loss phase of the Atkins diet. By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is rate-limited.

Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight (whichever is the lower number). So don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress. Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occurring.
__________________
__________________
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #243
Senior LCF Member
 
mojocat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 729
Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
I've only just started taking L Glutamine for a few days now and just finished a horrible UD- I felt even hungrier and more out of control and anxious than normal. Eeek. I read Glut takes a week to work but thought maybe even a placebo effect would work on me in the meantime. This jUDDD rollercoaster, I just don't know if it's a good thing for me. I just seem obsessed with food and what I'm eating on UD/DDs. I seem to have put a lot of things off in my life as I'm too busy dealing with food - what to eat, what to not eat, it's distracting me and making me obsessive. Looking at the people here planning their restrained UDs and sharing what they eat on UD's, I am way way out of control compared to them and embarrassed by my weird unrestrained eating.

I've also been on some medication that has made me very tired and lacking in energy, and I have been doing little exercise and this is not helping me. Hopefully things will get better in this respect. However this could all be the ramblings of post UD remorse/guilt so hopefully I will feel better tomorrow. Thank you to this forum for allowing me to vent my difficulties.
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #244
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 7,755
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
I've only just started taking L Glutamine for a few days now and just finished a horrible UD- I felt even hungrier and more out of control and anxious than normal. Eeek. I read Glut takes a week to work but thought maybe even a placebo effect would work on me in the meantime. This jUDDD rollercoaster, I just don't know if it's a good thing for me. I just seem obsessed with food and what I'm eating on UD/DDs. I seem to have put a lot of things off in my life as I'm too busy dealing with food - what to eat, what to not eat, it's distracting me and making me obsessive. Looking at the people here planning their restrained UDs and sharing what they eat on UD's, I am way way out of control compared to them and embarrassed by my weird unrestrained eating.

I've also been on some medication that has made me very tired and lacking in energy, and I have been doing little exercise and this is not helping me. Hopefully things will get better in this respect. However this could all be the ramblings of post UD remorse/guilt so hopefully I will feel better tomorrow. Thank you to this forum for allowing me to vent my difficulties.
and
I hope it will get better for you. I felt relieved from those things by juddd so perhaps others who have experienced this will chime in. More .
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #245
Established
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Library
Posts: 2,425
Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
I've only just started taking L Glutamine for a few days now and just finished a horrible UD- I felt even hungrier and more out of control and anxious than normal. Eeek. I read Glut takes a week to work but thought maybe even a placebo effect would work on me in the meantime. This jUDDD rollercoaster, I just don't know if it's a good thing for me. I just seem obsessed with food and what I'm eating on UD/DDs. I seem to have put a lot of things off in my life as I'm too busy dealing with food - what to eat, what to not eat, it's distracting me and making me obsessive. Looking at the people here planning their restrained UDs and sharing what they eat on UD's, I am way way out of control compared to them and embarrassed by my weird unrestrained eating.

I've also been on some medication that has made me very tired and lacking in energy, and I have been doing little exercise and this is not helping me. Hopefully things will get better in this respect. However this could all be the ramblings of post UD remorse/guilt so hopefully I will feel better tomorrow. Thank you to this forum for allowing me to vent my difficulties.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #246
Major LCF Poster!
 
hot-in-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,723
Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri_Librarian View Post
ohhhhhhh wow that is neat....is this home to your parents??...how did you end up in texas if i may ask??

yep st joe is where I am,,,sure not where i want to be forever, but will be for a bit longer. until at least my son is out of high school ( he is in 10th grade now)
Stacy,I do no remember St Joe at all, except when my dad tells stories about it. I think we moved before I was a year old. My dad worked for Colonial Bread, and when a new bakery opened, he would be the one to open it, so our whole family would move, and stay for a few years until that bakrry was running good, and then off to a new bakery opening. I don't know if Colonial is still in Missouri,i think Sara Lee bought it out. So by the time I moved to Texas at age 15 1/2, I had lived in 6 states, some of them twice. Anyway, thank you for asking. Someday, I want to travel back to all the places I have lived, and she where our house was, etc, I am very sentimental that way.
My son is a senior, and he graduated early, so I think I soon will be thinking about maybe moving, I've had my fill of this town. Plus having moved so much in my life(I also moved around a bunch as an adult). I'm getting antsy for a change of pace.
So thanks for listening to my life story
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #247
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 7,755
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
Stacy,I do no remember St Joe at all, except when my dad tells stories about it. I think we moved before I was a year old. My dad worked for Colonial Bread, and when a new bakery opened, he would be the one to open it, so our whole family would move, and stay for a few years until that bakrry was running good, and then off to a new bakery opening. I don't know if Colonial is still in Missouri,i think Sara Lee bought it out. So by the time I moved to Texas at age 15 1/2, I had lived in 6 states, some of them twice. Anyway, thank you for asking. Someday, I want to travel back to all the places I have lived, and she where our house was, etc, I am very sentimental that way.
My son is a senior, and he graduated early, so I think I soon will be thinking about maybe moving, I've had my fill of this town. Plus having moved so much in my life(I also moved around a bunch as an adult). I'm getting antsy for a change of pace.
So thanks for listening to my life story
I've never lived anywhere but Westchester County and NYC. I really want to leave NY though. I'd like to move to the outskirts of Atlanta GA... I think... My parents are moving to Sarasota Fl and my grand mother moved there in February. DW and I are going to visit in April and vacation. I'll be scoping it out.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #248
Major LCF Poster!
 
hot-in-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,723
Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
I've only just started taking L Glutamine for a few days now and just finished a horrible UD- I felt even hungrier and more out of control and anxious than normal. Eeek. I read Glut takes a week to work but thought maybe even a placebo effect would work on me in the meantime. This jUDDD rollercoaster, I just don't know if it's a good thing for me. I just seem obsessed with food and what I'm eating on UD/DDs. I seem to have put a lot of things off in my life as I'm too busy dealing with food - what to eat, what to not eat, it's distracting me and making me obsessive. Looking at the people here planning their restrained UDs and sharing what they eat on UD's, I am way way out of control compared to them and embarrassed by my weird unrestrained eating.

I've also been on some medication that has made me very tired and lacking in energy, and I have been doing little exercise and this is not helping me. Hopefully things will get better in this respect. However this could all be the ramblings of post UD remorse/guilt so hopefully I will feel better tomorrow. Thank you to this forum for allowing me to vent my difficulties.
Mojo I am so sorry you are feeling this way it's just not how you should be feeling. You aren't doing anything wrong, you are giving it your best. I was wondering if you had tried the principles of the PHD? If you have already mentioned this, I'm sorry, I just could not recall if you are doing lc? I know you said you really like nuts(I think that was you).but the PHD philosophy says if the body is well nourished, you won't feel hungry all the time or have cravings. I am not doing the PHD, but my DS who is 21 basically is. He has gone from being addicted to certain foods and food groups(think chips and salsa, cheese, potatoes) to now only ever wanting healthy foods and he has lost 30 pounds in less than a month and a half(8 of those were on Juddd at first)
I hope things get better for you sweetie.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #249
Major LCF Poster!
 
hot-in-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,723
Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I've never lived anywhere but Westchester County and NYC. I really want to leave NY though. I'd like to move to the outskirts of Atlanta GA... I think... My parents are moving to Sarasota Fl and my grand mother moved there in February. DW and I are going to visit in April and vacation. I'll be scoping it out.
Sounds exciting Carly! You only live once is my philosophy, so might as well make the most of it! I am sure you will have no trouble getting a job if you do decide to move. My sis used to live in Snellville Ga, it was a pretty town .
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #250
Major LCF Poster!
 
BaileysGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,628
Gallery: BaileysGirl
Stats: 222/190.5/175
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: Jan 12 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I've never lived anywhere but Westchester County and NYC. I really want to leave NY though. I'd like to move to the outskirts of Atlanta GA... I think... My parents are moving to Sarasota Fl and my grand mother moved there in February. DW and I are going to visit in April and vacation. I'll be scoping it out.
I live right near the airport in ATL. Been here all my life. Where I live has changed over the years. DH & I are wanting to move a little further south to the McDonough area, I guess. I work way up on GA 400 though so it will add some time to my already lengthy commute but the area is much nicer and more rural. You will love Atlanta! PM me if you have any questions! I def want to end up in FL at some point in my life! I love the beach and warm weather! It does get pretty cold in GA. Last week lows in the 30's and today it was 66! Crazy weather this winter.
__________________
Lost on Juddd: 12
UD 1900/DD 400


Natasha

BaileysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #251
Senior LCF Member
 
mojocat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 729
Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
PHD - organic meats, bone broths and starches? I can't do starches. The Potato Hack set off a hypo reaction in me. Prior to JUDDD I was mostly meat, fat and veggies and on JUDDD I am eating a lot of fruits...lots... it's probably the sugar. I like JUDDD though, I might just have to force myself to track and log and keep off the fruits - just meat and veggies - stop treating it as a day where I have reward foods and I treat greek yoghurt/fruit as said reward foods.
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #252
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 7,755
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
PHD - organic meats, bone broths and starches? I can't do starches. The Potato Hack set off a hypo reaction in me. Prior to JUDDD I was mostly meat, fat and veggies and on JUDDD I am eating a lot of fruits...lots... it's probably the sugar. I like JUDDD though, I might just have to force myself to track and log and keep off the fruits - just meat and veggies - stop treating it as a day where I have reward foods and I treat greek yoghurt/fruit as said reward foods.
I don't track carbs at all, but I rarely eat fruit, because it spikes my sugar more that refined carbs. Weird I know, but my body does not due well with fruit. I like it, but I get sleepy if I eat it during the day. Yogurt on the other hand I eat all the time with no issue. I could go to town with nuts if I'm not careful, but I have a few and tell DW to take them and hide them... Which she does. Out of site out of mind. I also don't go to any effort looking for food when I sleepwalk. If there isn't anything there DW says I get a glass of water, walk into a wall or 2 and go back to bed.
__________________
<---- Before Carly
10.0 lbs lost on LC/low cal. (2/21/12-3/27/12)
65.8 lbs lost on JUDDD (3/28/12- 4/18/13)
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #253
Senior LCF Member
 
taghag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 88
Gallery: taghag
Stats: 136/120-5'2",48YO
WOE: WheatBelly,JUDDD
Start Date: 3/4/13
How do you all handle binging? I have been uber good this week, staying at or under the calorie count for the day and tonight I went 82 calories over pigging out on peanut butter!!

Is there anything we can mindlessly just eat when that urge to just shovel something in your face rears it's ugly head? I am really dedicated to doing this since I lost 3 lbs this week but that empty stomach feeling gets to me sometimes.
taghag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #254
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 7,755
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taghag View Post
How do you all handle binging? I have been uber good this week, staying at or under the calorie count for the day and tonight I went 82 calories over pigging out on peanut butter!!

Is there anything we can mindlessly just eat when that urge to just shovel something in your face rears it's ugly head? I am really dedicated to doing this since I lost 3 lbs this week but that empty stomach feeling gets to me sometimes.
Well, beside miracle noodles nothing is really calorie free, but celery is 4 calories per ounce so you can have 6 oz, which is a lot for under 25 calories. Iceberg lettuce is also 4 calories an ounce, I think, so a big bowl of iceberg lettuce with SF rice vinegar can fill an empty stomach. The appetite suppression will kick in if you keep your DDs low, so soon you will not feel as hungry.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #255
Senior LCF Member
 
taghag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 88
Gallery: taghag
Stats: 136/120-5'2",48YO
WOE: WheatBelly,JUDDD
Start Date: 3/4/13
Got the miracle noodles already and a down day grocery shopping list for tomorrow LOL

I hate celery so I will have to get creative. I do hard boiled eggs when desperate. Visions of a flat stomach and skinny legs keep me going.
taghag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #256
Major LCF Poster!
 
hot-in-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,723
Gallery: hot-in-texas
Hot tea helps me when my stomach feels empty
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #257
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Missouri_Librarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. Joseph, Missouri
Posts: 3,977
Stats: 254/235/152
WOE: lc
Start Date: 8/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
Stacy,I do no remember St Joe at all, except when my dad tells stories about it. I think we moved before I was a year old. My dad worked for Colonial Bread, and when a new bakery opened, he would be the one to open it, so our whole family would move, and stay for a few years until that bakrry was running good, and then off to a new bakery opening. I don't know if Colonial is still in Missouri,i think Sara Lee bought it out. So by the time I moved to Texas at age 15 1/2, I had lived in 6 states, some of them twice. Anyway, thank you for asking. Someday, I want to travel back to all the places I have lived, and she where our house was, etc, I am very sentimental that way.
My son is a senior, and he graduated early, so I think I soon will be thinking about maybe moving, I've had my fill of this town. Plus having moved so much in my life(I also moved around a bunch as an adult). I'm getting antsy for a change of pace.
So thanks for listening to my life story
your right that bakery is no longer here, and sadly none is here any longer...i remember as a kid us driving by and you could smell the bread baking....that would be very neat for you to come here and see things...if you do, we must hook up...well that is if i am still here...i have a son who is in 10th grade, and we keep saying when he graduates we will leave,,,,i would love to be near the water, as in ocean front and own a bed and breakfast with a little pastry shop...i love to bake and pastries are my fav...and i wonder how i got this weight lol,,,,st joe is pretty boring, and i want to be where there are fun things to do etc
__________________
2014 Goals for Stacy
1. Hit 100 pounds gone
2. Better My Mind, Body AND Spirit
Survive menopause, insomnia, migraines and hypothyroidism with a smile.....sigh
Missouri_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #258
Senior LCF Member
 
Familyvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central Arkansas
Posts: 203
Gallery: Familyvet
Stats: 230/200/<160 5'8" 44yo
WOE: Atkins on and off for years, JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD 2/20/13
Stacy-I am so sorry that you are going through all of that! Sounds like an awful rollercoaster. I hope Libbie is better!
Familyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #259
Senior LCF Member
 
mojocat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 729
Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Has anyone had success using the 30% JUDDD calculation? I've just been tweaking my numbers and 30% may give me enough to eat on a DD to not set off the "eat because I can't eat tomorrow" mentality on UD's.
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #260
Senior LCF Member
 
Lori_:)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 855
Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Another DD has rolled around. This one may be a bit more difficult as I'm playing some golf today for the first time this year! I will have to save 100 calories for a lite beer.

I had a decent UD yesterday. No binging on stupid girl scout cookies, even though there is still half a box of thin mints sitting here.

Time for a cup of coffee with coconut oil to see me thru till lunch. I think I'll have 1/2 a protein bar(115) right before I play golf. That should be sufficient.

Hope you all have a great day, whether it is Up or Down!

Lori
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #261
Big Yapper!!!!
 
adillenal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,630
Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
Has anyone had success using the 30% JUDDD calculation? I've just been tweaking my numbers and 30% may give me enough to eat on a DD to not set off the "eat because I can't eat tomorrow" mentality on UD's.
If I recall correctly, Dr. J himself used the 35 % number but then he is male. It should still result in weight loss and if it helps you to stick to the plan all is well.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #262
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,054
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
I have posted the following before, but think it is always good to be reminded once in a while.

Why the scales can lie
It was posted by PenPen13. I have read this before and it is a good reminder as to what is happening to our body.

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.

However, if you give those fat cells some time, like 4-6 months, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

PATTERNS OF WEIGHT LOSS

Common patterns of weight loss from tracking a lot of people who become assimilated into the low carb lifestyle, a pattern emerges.... the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported. This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that the rate drops to only 1 pound per week.

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a weight-reduction" diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this. OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks. Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa! Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound each!

So... what gives? Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for about 3-5 pounds of water. In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10 initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking: Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin anti-diuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occurring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite suppression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a good thing.

From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging. Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself) is helpful. Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial water-loss phase of the Atkins diet. By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is rate-limited.

Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight (whichever is the lower number). So don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress. Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occurring.
__________________
I see that my body is changing and other people have noticed too, but I am only down 11 lbs since November!! The most I have seen (lost) since November is 13 lbs. March 13 will be 16 weeks, IF I can get back down to 185 that will be a loss of .81 a week. Clearly, it's not the diet, but me, so I will try and do better.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #263
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 7,755
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Most of us use/d 20%, but you can try a week or 2 at 30% and see how your losses are. I don't know how much more you want to lose and if you are ok with slightly slower losses. It's worth a try.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #264
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 7,755
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I see that my body is changing and other people have noticed too, but I am only down 11 lbs since November!! The most I have seen (lost) since November is 13 lbs. March 13 will be 16 weeks, IF I can get back down to 185 that will be a loss of .81 a week. Clearly, it's not the diet, but me, so I will try and do better.
Can you tighten up your numbers a bit? I know you can do it! It's totally doable, but if there is something that is particularly hard about the UD or DD try to target in on that. We all want you to be successful!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #265
Major LCF Poster!
 
hot-in-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,723
Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
Has anyone had success using the 30% JUDDD calculation? I've just been tweaking my numbers and 30% may give me enough to eat on a DD to not set off the "eat because I can't eat tomorrow" mentality on UD's.
I just put my numbers back into the calculator, and it looks like I have been doing 30% for quire some time, and a little higher even on my UDs, so basically yes it is working for me, especially if I were to keep my UDs in check.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Missouri_Librarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. Joseph, Missouri
Posts: 3,977
Stats: 254/235/152
WOE: lc
Start Date: 8/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyvet View Post
Stacy-I am so sorry that you are going through all of that! Sounds like an awful rollercoaster. I hope Libbie is better!
thank you.....she has bad days and good days....she is on her last meds, so hoping we dont have to go back to doc.....she has had a fever off and on still...she has days when she will eat and then days when she wont eat at all...poor girl....feel so bad for her....
Missouri_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #267
Major LCF Poster!
 
JMBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,296
Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I've never lived anywhere but Westchester County and NYC. I really want to leave NY though. I'd like to move to the outskirts of Atlanta GA... I think... My parents are moving to Sarasota Fl and my grand mother moved there in February. DW and I are going to visit in April and vacation. I'll be scoping it out.
That's funny Carly b/c my sister lives in Atlanta and they want to move to NYC. My niece is in fashion school in NYC and they just love it when they go for a visit
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #268
Major LCF Poster!
 
hot-in-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,723
Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri_Librarian View Post
your right that bakery is no longer here, and sadly none is here any longer...i remember as a kid us driving by and you could smell the bread baking....that would be very neat for you to come here and see things...if you do, we must hook up...well that is if i am still here...i have a son who is in 10th grade, and we keep saying when he graduates we will leave,,,,i would love to be near the water, as in ocean front and own a bed and breakfast with a little pastry shop...i love to bake and pastries are my fav...and i wonder how i got this weight lol,,,,st joe is pretty boring, and i want to be where there are fun things to do etc
I will definitely let you know if we do come that way! I honestly don't see it happening for another 5 years or so though, when maybe my finances will be in order. I remember the smells of the bakery well! My dad used to come home from work smelling like that.
I am with you on wanting to be near water. I just want to go somewhere where it is beautiful, and where we can explore nature. Where I live now , is like a dessert.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #269
Senior LCF Member
 
sloppail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 714
Gallery: sloppail
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD Restart May 20 2014
Hi Everyone!! I am a newbie, just starting my DD today! I am 43, 5' 3'' and I like to walk but am not a vigorous worker outer...my DD cals for the two week induction are 500, the UD cals are 1651...I am going to do this for the two weeks and see how I feel at the end. I need structure...this is a good thing for me to do because it is so structured...I like the rigidity of the DD and the freedom of the UD....does that make sense? I am so excited to meet fellow JUDDDers and do something that is good for me

DD: atkins shake 150 X 2 = 300 cals
dill pickle crackers = 190 cals
Cup of Chicken Broth X 2= 10 cals (for sipping )


+++========= 500 cals

Kim
*** I have done LC lots in the past...losing and gaining the same weight. I need something different to keep me on track****
__________________
If it's going to be, it's up to me!

Last edited by sloppail; 03-10-2013 at 10:48 AM..
sloppail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #270
Major LCF Poster!
 
hot-in-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,723
Gallery: hot-in-texas
Kim!
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.