Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
34 Weeks on JUDDD -- The Scale Bounces

Today I weighed in at 252 lbs for a gain of 2 lbs this week, a total of 38 lbs lost, 34 of them on JUDDD.

It was too much to hope that my 6 lb drop last week would last, so I'm not bummed. Especially since this week involved three up days in a row--all social occasions at which it would have actually been considered rude not to partake. I had some delightful down days this week, so I've got my Zen back.

As always, the upsides and downsides.

Downsides

Immoderation. Once upon a time, at the beginning of this JUDDD journey, I discovered moderation. I could eat just one slice of pizza and be happy. I could eat a few bites of cake and be totally content. Given a life of immoderation and dietary excess, those were sweet sweet days. Those days are gone. I have an on or off switch. On down days, I'm switched off, and I'm totally happy with that. On up days, I flip the switch and there is no holding it back. I've been saying for some weeks now that up days are a struggle and I need to reign them in. The only way I can do that, I think, is to understand that moderation was a fluke and not something I can trust in. (More on this later.)

Upsides

Works With My Strengths. Given that I'm an all or nothing kind of girl--JUDDD works with my strengths. As long as I eat EXTREMELY LITTLE on down days, it's a counterbalance to my excesses. I won't always lose, but I am still on a downward trajectory without surgery or drugs. If I want to lose faster, I'll have to do better, but even if I do badly, I'm still ahead of the game because this diet does not demand moderation from me as a pre-requisite for success. It encourages it, but it doesn't demand it.

Lifestyle. A few weeks ago, I had a scary thought of, "How much longer can I go eating only every other day?" The answer, as it turns out, is, "Quite a while." The reason is that JUDDD gives me a lifestyle tool. For example, this week I had three up days in a row due to three social engagements I could not cancel and at which it would have actually been rude not to partake. (Ie. You can't go to a high tea party with scones and special cakes and sandwiches hosted in your honor, at great expense to the host, and only drink tea.) Usually I can schedule my social engagements on an every other day basis. But sometimes I can't. And when I can't I'm always so relieved to know that I go right back into rotation. I did it this week and I was so thrilled to know that no matter how badly I messed up, I hadn't destroyed everything. I didn't have to hang my head in shame. I just had to do a down day. That's what makes it a lifestyle for me now, more than a diet.

Last edited by stephdray; 02-28-2013 at 05:58 PM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
"On down days, I'm switched off, and I'm totally happy with that. On up days, I flip the switch and there is no holding it back. " This is sooo me. Unfortunately for me that means a stall, not a loss.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Sooooo much I can relate to Steph (and not to mention, I was really impatiently waiting for this post all day today. Of course, I'm hopped up on caffeine, so don't mind me )

I too have been feeling like, hey, I can do a great DD... so WTH is up with hunger and my up days???

I don't have an answer, I'm just working through it like you are. So, we're not alone

And it all comes down to-- this really does seem to be a lifestyle that we can work with. I can usually manage outings every other day as well... and on my work trips, if I can't? I now have a host of other tools (fast 5 comes to mind) that I can employ as well.
And a DD as soon as I can realistically manage it, and voila.

Do I wind up with months like February, stuggling to come up with a net loss? yes. But this "struggle" involved some really lovely meals, less recrimination on a daily/weekly basis (seems I only now bash a bit at the monthly leve-- progress! lol ) and a true, deep knowledge that the weight will come off, even if it takes years to do it. Bc those will be happy years.
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
And just know that the moderation thing comes in waves, at least for me. I was very strict with my UDs, always, through WLM, but they'd be very easy for a while, then sometimes they just weren't. Eventually, they'd get easy again. I hope they do for you too.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
And just know that the moderation thing comes in waves, at least for me. I was very strict with my UDs, always, through WLM, but they'd be very easy for a while, then sometimes they just weren't. Eventually, they'd get easy again. I hope they do for you too.
Dawn, I'm starting to notice that it gets hard after a drop. Like, every time I lose another pound, my body goes, "OMG, we're still losing weight! Eat everything in sight before the next famine!"

Then, when I stall for a while, it starts getting easier again. And then there's another drop. It's crazy-making while it's happening, but when I look at the pattern that way, it makes some sense.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
Sooooo much I can relate to Steph (and not to mention, I was really impatiently waiting for this post all day today. Of course, I'm hopped up on caffeine, so don't mind me )

I too have been feeling like, hey, I can do a great DD... so WTH is up with hunger and my up days???

I don't have an answer, I'm just working through it like you are. So, we're not alone

And it all comes down to-- this really does seem to be a lifestyle that we can work with. I can usually manage outings every other day as well... and on my work trips, if I can't? I now have a host of other tools (fast 5 comes to mind) that I can employ as well.
And a DD as soon as I can realistically manage it, and voila.

Do I wind up with months like February, stuggling to come up with a net loss? yes. But this "struggle" involved some really lovely meals, less recrimination on a daily/weekly basis (seems I only now bash a bit at the monthly leve-- progress! lol ) and a true, deep knowledge that the weight will come off, even if it takes years to do it. Bc those will be happy years.
S.
You said something wonderful. "Those will be happy years."

I am happy. I am on a diet, and I am happy. I'm had a great week of partying and celebration. I enjoyed everything. I laughed with friends. I did not stress. I had fabulously productive down days that I breezed through with minimal hunger. It was a great week. On a diet.

Other things in my life may go awry, but this year, for the first time in my whole life, my diet is the least-likely thing to cause me grief.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Yes, we have faceted a switch somewhere in our brain. I can so relate. I counted and realized I have been eating this way for 50 days. That's enough to make a habit, and apparently enough to create a switch.
Reigning it in on UDs, yep, relate to this too. Sitting around on DDs evenings, fantasizing about what I'm going to eat tomorrow(like I'm doing right now) doesn't help.
Also, I too get scary thoughts like 'am going to be able to keep doing this'? I'm glad to see that your experience says Yes, it can be done!(for quite awhile)
It seems like the most successful Judd budds here have been very routine with their menus(dawn, Adi, lcg, Nancy, etc...) So I'm thinking that could be (one of )the secret to prolonged, and ease of juddd success. I'm going to think on that one. Thanks Steph, your posts really get me thinking! I'm glad you had some fun things social things to do this week!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
How wonderful that you got to enjoy your social engagements w/o feeling awful about it. Very freeing! I'm with you gals about DD going well but reining in UDs being a bit of a challenge. Thanks for chiming in, Dawn, and letting us know that will come in waves. I look forward to my rock hard control returning.

And about being happy. YES! Isn't that just amazing?
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Steph- have you thought of increasing your DD calories slightly? That's what I have started doing recently to see if helps with my UUAD on UD.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Thank you Steph for another great weekly update. I have some really hungry UDs sometimes and I don't really understand why, at times, I'm hungry and other UDs not as much, but I still try to snack on rice cakes with laughing cow cheese or a lower calorie yogurt if I'm really hungry and want a little 'extra' that wasn't intended for that UD. I know more losses are in your future!!!!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
It truly is an amazing, miraculous, crazy HAPPY thing to be able to say that you are happy while you're "on a diet". Seriously, who'd have ever thought that was possible? Not me! That right there is the best part, IMO. Oh yea, and you get to drop pounds as a perk!

Always look forward to hearing how you're doing!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
So pleased that you are still happy with JUDDD. It is certainly happy with you.

You are just proving that this is the best way forward for so many and helping us all along the way.

Happy is how I always picture you
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
You said something wonderful. "Those will be happy years."

I am happy. I am on a diet, and I am happy. I'm had a great week of partying and celebration. I enjoyed everything. I laughed with friends. I did not stress. I had fabulously productive down days that I breezed through with minimal hunger. It was a great week. On a diet.

Other things in my life may go awry, but this year, for the first time in my whole life, my diet is the least-likely thing to cause me grief.
Wow Steph, that's fantastic! What a gift from JUDDD.

I'm happy that you're so happy
Flossyliz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
It's so good to hear others talking about JUDDD and how they make this WOE fit into their *life*. You have been so successful with your weight loss, and your updates are not only interesting, but fun to read. KUTGW!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote