Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Daily nutrition levels and JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/798094-daily-nutrition-levels-juddd.html)

sorenkkg 02-28-2013 09:26 AM

Daily nutrition levels and JUDDD

Hola JBs :hiya:

Ok, first-- apologies... I was already feeling energized, and had a cup of black tea just now (I'm going to go ahead and blame CARLY! ;) ) so I'm really kind of zooming :jumpjoy::stars::hyst::jumpjoy:
LOL

Here's the thought-- I looked up last night what a woman's daily requirement of protein and fiber are, b/c I've always sort of worried about this, with JUDDD (and in general).

So, here's what I found from some rather inoccuous sites (cdc and webmd):

Adult women, non-lactating (!)-- 46g protein per day
Adult women - 25g of fiber per day (average is only 15g in the US).

I'm going to assume they mean insoluble fiber?

So, I've added these columns to my tracker app, and realized that I'm woefully under on fiber, generally, though even on a dd, I'm doing ok on protein.
Yay, greek yogurt! :up:

If you track your food, how do you rate?
:) S.

LoCarbGal 02-28-2013 09:51 AM

I have to be honest, I don't pay much attention to those numbers. Kind of like how I ignore concerns over salt and caffeine intake. Unless it makes me feel funny or bad, I don't stress about them.

I'm pretty sure I get plenty of protein most days, possibly even more than I "need". Fiber, I know I'm woefully lacking in. I can't seem to get out of my old LC ways. I guess I don't worry too much about it, but maybe I should.

sorenkkg 02-28-2013 10:44 AM

This reminds me to go add benefiber to my lemon water right now... :)

I generally agree with you LCG, I just thought it was interesting, maybe something to ruminate on (though, well, ruminating... that would involve fibrous leafy greens, right?)
;)
S.

svenskamae 02-28-2013 11:58 AM

I don't really worry about fiber amounts. My preferred dinner most up days is a huge raw veggie salad, I eat flax crackers, and I don't have, er, regularity problems usually. Some people argue that fiber for its own sake isn't so necessary, though eating foods in a fibrous form (say, a whole apple rather than apple juice) will slow down blood sugar spikes, which is good.

I have started worrying about protein levels. I transitioned into JUDDD from low carb/moderate protein/high fat, and I was keeping my protein under 60 grams/day when I didn't do JUDDD. When I went to JUDDD, I did lean protein DDs initially but then switched to fluids only DDs without much protein. That would mean only around 30 grams/protein per day, which probably isn't so great. Dr. Micheal Eades recommends eating lean protein on DDs, if one does JUDDD, according to Leo on the main board.

Right now I'm potato hacking, day after day (this is day 5) to break a 2 -month stall, and I guess there's a fair amount of protein in plain potatoes. After I go back to regular JUDDD rotations, I'm going to do lean protein on my DDs again.

I would like to try doing a lowcarb (few "safe starches") version of the Perfect Health Diet eventually, with eating in an 8 hour window every day, but first I have to lose another 50 pounds, so it will probably take me at least a year to get there. A year with many potatoes, judging by how things are going lately ...

Librarygirl 02-28-2013 04:21 PM

When I was LCing there were some who argued that eating lots of fiber to sit on the pot several times a day was unnecessary and unhealthy. There were some good points made, but now I don't have any idea where that thread is located (it's on this site). I don't worry about those numbers either, so I'm like LCG...until I feel like I need to do something in particular for a reason, I'll just eat what I like and what I feel like is healthy. :)

jaymar 02-28-2013 04:41 PM

I think you all make good points about the fibre thing..I started taking something called PGX, it's a fibre in capsule form..the reason I'm taking it is to help me get thru the hunger of a dd....Dr Mark Hymen recommends it for people when they cut calories...so ..I'll see if it helps..I have spent a lot of time reading the good links that Sunday has put up, especially about the potato hack.
I was interested in the autophagy thing that is talked about while doing the potato hack...and that's because my health can use all the help it can get...my understanding is that doing nothing but potatoes allows the body to clean up unused or damaged proteins...now I may not have it right..but I don't get much protein on the days I do potatoes..and am hoping it will help with inflammation in the body...There is a world of good knowledge on here, and we all have different needs, but I think each of us can find what helps, and that is a wonderful thing to have access to..I've never been at any weight loss site that has so many wonderful, caring people on it..thanks to all of you for all that you do to help.:shake:

svenskamae 02-28-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymar (Post 16287093)
I think you all make good points about the fibre thing..I started taking something called PGX, it's a fibre in capsule form..the reason I'm taking it is to help me get thru the hunger of a dd....Dr Mark Hymen recommends it for people when they cut calories...so ..I'll see if it helps..I have spent a lot of time reading the good links that Sunday has put up, especially about the potato hack.
I was interested in the autophagy thing that is talked about while doing the potato hack...and that's because my health can use all the help it can get...my understanding is that doing nothing but potatoes allows the body to clean up unused or damaged proteins...now I may not have it right..but I don't get much protein on the days I do potatoes..and am hoping it will help with inflammation in the body...There is a world of good knowledge on here, and we all have different needs, but I think each of us can find what helps, and that is a wonderful thing to have access to..I've never been at any weight loss site that has so many wonderful, caring people on it..thanks to all of you for all that you do to help.:shake:

Jaymar, my understanding is that your body is doing some healing/autophagy every time you do a down day of very low calories (say, under 500). A low calorie down day counts as a "fast" in that way, even though some of us think of fasts as consisting only of water.

I've also heard that the potato hack can lead to some healing/detoxing/autophagy, so that's another option open to you. I'm taking a break from JUDDD this week to do a 5-day potato hack, mostly to break a two month weight loss stall. It seems to be working (thank goodness) for me, from the weight loss perspective, and I hope it would help with your health issues also.

I'm not an expert on this, so I hope others will step in to correct or confirm what I've said.

LoCarbGal 02-28-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svenskamae (Post 16287133)
Jaymar, my understanding is that your body is doing some healing/autophagy every time you do a down day of very low calories (say, under 500). A low calorie down day counts as a "fast" in that way, even though some of us think of fasts as consisting only of water.

I've also heard that the potato hack can lead to some healing/detoxing/autophagy, so that's another option open to you. I'm taking a break from JUDDD this week to do a 5-day potato hack, mostly to break a two month weight loss stall. It seems to be working (thank goodness) for me, from the weight loss perspective, and I hope it would help with your health issues also.

I'm not an expert on this, so I hope others will step in to correct or confirm what I've said.

Svenska, I just have to say that you are so knowledgable, and willing to share what you know and have learned with all of us. It is much appreciated! I don't have a scientific mind, although I'm very interested in the science of why this WOE works for weight loss, and also all the other beneficial things it does for our bodies. You always manage to condense the science down so it's understandable and digestible. Thank you!

svenskamae 03-01-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16287580)
Svenska, I just have to say that you are so knowledgable, and willing to share what you know and have learned with all of us. It is much appreciated! I don't have a scientific mind, although I'm very interested in the science of why this WOE works for weight loss, and also all the other beneficial things it does for our bodies. You always manage to condense the science down so it's understandable and digestible. Thank you!

:love: :hugs: Thank you for that sweet message, LoCarbGal. I've taken to reading books about nutrition, weight loss, etc. as kind of a hobby, and it's nice to find people who are also interested and share with them. And I've learned so much and had so much help from my JUDDD BUDDS that it's a pleasure to do a little pay back. :)

Carly 03-01-2013 03:37 AM

I don't track fiber, but with my celery and lettuce habit on DDs I'd think I'd be getting more than enough on those days and I feel that I eat a decent amount on UDs, too. However, my body may be saying no since I'm battling constipation more than ever in my life. The truth is when I use to eat miracle noodles all the time I never had this problem so the answer probably is- not enough fiber for this JB.

svenskamae 03-01-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16287693)
I don't track fiber, but with my celery and lettuce habit on DDs I'd think I'd be getting more than enough on those days and I feel that I eat a decent amount on UDs, too. However, my body may be saying no since I'm battling constipation more than ever in my life. The truth is when I use to eat miracle noodles all the time I never had this problem so the answer probably is- not enough fiber for this JB.

What helps me with constipation is actually fats rather than fiber: coconut oil or coconut butter and nuts, especially (along with magnesium supplements). Are they something you could fit in to help, Carly?

Yennie 03-01-2013 07:54 AM

I second the fats. They slick stuff up for me. :)

sorenkkg 03-01-2013 09:23 AM

Its a combo for me-- fiber, without enough water, can bind you up. But with water, it can get things going.

I second the magnesium-- I get enough in my daily vitamins, and noticed that when I was supplementing with additional (trying to solve a leg cramp situation), and I definitely noticed an effect on me in the gut area ;)
So I stopped, b/c I didn't need that.
But you could give just 1 extra magnesium a try, and I bet it works for you.

Strawberry 03-01-2013 05:26 PM

I would look at your overall averages for protein.... eg, in the course of a week, if you add up all the protein and divide by 7, are you getting about 50g/day?

Nobody gets exactly the recommended daily allowance of everything every single day... as long as it averages out, its fine.

Mamatomany 03-01-2013 05:48 PM

I usually eat a lot of fiber. I actually ate two of these today:) 2 T. Oat fiber, 2T unsweetened cocoa, 1/3 c. Egg whites, 3 T. Water, 3/4 tsp. gluc, and almost a T. Of nustevia. Mix it up and zap it for 120. I cool it a minute and put a rounded scoop of ff Greek yogurt on top and if I'm feeling saucy a shot of ff cream whipped stuff. I think it is only 55 calories. Also I make creeps using psyllium husk powder which is all fiber. I mzx 1/2 . Egg whites and a scoop of husk and cook it like a pancake. They make 3 pancakes and I fill them with a total of 1/4 Greek yogurt and a shot of whipped cream. I think that meal is around 125 cals. Lots of protein and Loy's of fiber. Just wanted to offer some suggestions.

Mamatomany 03-01-2013 05:49 PM

Sorry for the typos all the time. I'm typing onan iPad with a two year old who wants me to go to YouTube to watch train videos - hahah

Carly 03-02-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svenskamae (Post 16287864)
What helps me with constipation is actually fats rather than fiber: coconut oil or coconut butter and nuts, especially (along with magnesium supplements). Are they something you could fit in to help, Carly?

I ordered some coconut manna. I hope I like it. I never found anything that I really like with coconut oil, but love the flavor of coconut. :dunno:

I will get back in the habit with the magnesium. It it better to take it upon waking or before bed?

jaymar 03-02-2013 02:06 PM

Lots of good info here, and thanks Sven for clearing up about fasting and potatoes..I am doing a potato dd right now..and started faithfully on the CO..seems like magnesium worked fine for a while, but after I have stalled, I needed something more..hopefully the CO will help...also doing lemon water daily . and will be doing bone broth too...I think it's all going to help some, and it's well worth the effort..I may never make it to Dancing With The Stars, but I will sure be happy as I keep feeling better.:shake: