Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Anyone else feel lousy on the potato hack?

I've been doing low carb, moderate protein, primal plus JUDDD and have been stuck going up and down the same 5 pounds for almost 2 months, so I decided to try a potato hack.

I don't have difficulty facing monotony in diet or hunger; my JUDDD DDs recently have been just fluids (including a little half and half in tea), and I've given up lots of foods (fruit, grains, sweeteners, root vegetables, anything processed and preprepared) without much regret for a year or more. But I'm having a tough time by day 2 of a potato hack.

Along with gas (yes, I know others have faced that on the hack), I feel tired, achey, and depressed. I don't have symptoms of hypoglycemia, and it's not so bad that I can't function or go to work, but I feel more lousy than I have felt in over a year of eating lowcarb.

I'm desperate enough to get out of this stall that I will keep doing the potato hack for a while, but I wonder if 1) others have faced these problems when eating just potatoes after doing lowcarb for several months; 2) if so, do things get better or worse with time; and 3) does this sound like a food intolerance to potatoes? I have been eating other nightshades, like tomatoes and eggplants and peppers with no ill effects, and I have no memory of potatoes causing problems for me before I went lowcarb.

Thanks for any advice about this.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
today is my first full day of potatoes. i have not been lc'ing so have been adjusted to carbs. i haven't felt FABULOUS by any means. i had 3 meals of potatoes at 12, 3, and 6ish. i never felt full for more than an hour after each meal. so, as far as them being satiating, they haven't been for me. does that take more than one day to kick in?

so do i feel lousy...not really, but i don't feel fantastic either.
dazygyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for responding, dazygirl. I have felt pretty full soon after eating the potatoes, and even when I get hungry on them, I'm reluctant to eat more, because I dread feeling gassy afterwards. So the satiety didn't take long to kick in for me. How much potato are you eating? I've been eating between a pound and 1.5 pounds.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
I had similar problems in doing the potato hack the first couple of times that I tried it....I did keep trying and got to where I could do one without feeling bad.
The first time, I really felt bad, almost like a hypoglycemic reaction..but that did go away the third time I tried it., so I do the potatoes on dd's..and usually have one sweet potato because I love them. So, I don't know if a person adjusts like I did, or if you may not...good luck, however you decide to go..a lot of people are having great success with it, but I haven't been able to do it for more than one day at a time so far.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I only do 1 day mini-hacks (doing PDDs) and I find them filling. The first day I did it, I felt the "hypoglycemia" symptoms - shaky, foggy head, cravings, etc. Funny enough I tested by blood sugar (we have glucometers at work) and my blood glucose was 72. Which is not technically hypoglycemic so I wonder if it was the swing that brought on the symptoms. But I only experienced that my first day on the mini-hack, haven't since. However, I'd also added carbs back in for a few weeks before trying the hack so I wonder if that's why.
Svenska - you may be feeling the effects of your body trying to rebalance water and sodium. This is a clip from a website I'd copied & saved a while back. I don't save sources - bad me - so I can't accurately cite this but:
" A high-carb diet raises insulin levels. That we know.
One of the side effects of elevated insulin is that the kidneys start hoarding sodium, which leads to bloating and excess water weight.
This is the reason people lose so much weight when they stat a low-carb/ketogenic diet. Their body "sheds" the excess sodium and water follows along.
This is a good thing, but can be too much of a good thing when your kidneys keep dumping sodium until you become deficient."
The article was about the common mistakes people make when starting ketogenic diets, and goes on to say that you should not fear an increase in sodium.
But my point in pulling this out was to theorize that, perhaps in your case, your body is now doing the opposite. Too much sodium, too much water retention and you feel bloated and sluggish.
I truly, truly, truly believe drinking the lemon water has helped me flush the excess water I was holding on to. And give your kidneys a few days to adapt - they're pretty remarkable organs but do need a few days to figure their business out. (For example, an animal in metabolic acidosis/alkalosis will renal adapt but it takes 48-72 hours before you can see the compensation on their blood work, where as respiratory compensation happens much faster. Hello, physiology nerd.)

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

From Ouizoid on another thread asking about potato-induced gas:

"yes--seems to be temporary. There are a lot of temporary conditions associated with starting the PH. I believe that in addition to the adaptation phase (new microflora in your gut), there is a detox that happens. This can be uncomfortable, but I hope that people hang in there, because the benefits are wonderful."
Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much for the helpful responses. I put together a big pitcher of filtered water with sliced lemons and will drink that. I know that I've been putting a lot of salt on my cold potatoes, and I'll stop doing that, and I know that I'm retaining water (which I expected to do, going from low carb to all starch). I'll continue with the potato hack through Thursday (since I have social obligations for meals on Friday), and hope that this gets easier--or that I at least lose some weight (apart from the water retention).
Old 02-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm not really sure how much I ate. I just cooked up a bunch then diced up a few potatoes for each meal.

I measured my bs for two hrs after my first potato meal. I post my results tomorrow. I don't have them with right now.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I was surprised at how low calorie the potatoes without fat were, so I think you could consider eating more potatoes to feel full, dazygyrl. Thanks in advance for sharing your BG results with us.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Agree - I don't count calories when I do potato down days. I eat until I'm full. I honestly don't know if I would, technically, be "over" if I did count but since each PDD results in a loss, I'm going with it.
I think you'd be ok to eat more potatoes, help you stick with it longer as you'd feel satisfied!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/223/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
My view on this, for what it's worth..

The whole concept of PH relies on huge insulin spikes, which personally I suspect is not healthy.
Now, come from LC, with pretty much no Spikes, and eat just Potatoes, the spikes are going to be crippling if your sensitive.

And no point in trying to blunt the insulin response, which would be easy, as the result will be that the Hack does not work.

Just my thoughts...
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

I drank two pitchers of lemon water, lost some of the retained salt and fluid, and feel immensely better. I don't expect that I'm going to feel great on a potato hack, due to the insulin spikes, as Kettleboy notes, but I sure feel better when I do it with loads of lemon water (and less salt on the potatoes). Thanks so much; you guys are the best!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #13
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I was surprised at how low calorie the potatoes without fat were, so I think you could consider eating more potatoes to feel full, dazygyrl. Thanks in advance for sharing your BG results with us.
Blast from the past. Anyone remember the "Stop the Insanity" infomercials? She talked a lot about potatoes and how many you could eat because of the low calories, and that it was the toppings that caused weight gain.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i feel pretty good this morning. better than when i went to bed. i was up 0.2 this morning. having my coffee with HWC now, will stop that at 8am so i can do potatoes the rest of the day. (won't be able to post yesterday's bs till later on...they are at my shop and my kids have a 2hr delay this morning)
Old 02-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
I can tell you, if I ate nothing but potatoes, I wouldn't feel well either. I applaud any of you that can do it and have great success. Me, I do JUDDD because literally no foods are off limits. I can eat anything. That is why I love it so! I too eat more potatoes now than I did because they ARE low in calorie, perfect meal for an evening DD and the kids don't even notice it's a DD meal! WIN WIN!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Gosh my stomach feels quizy just thinking about eating only potatoes.
And I love p.
Ei
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Blast from the past. Anyone remember the "Stop the Insanity" infomercials? She talked a lot about potatoes and how many you could eat because of the low calories, and that it was the toppings that caused weight gain.
I so do remember her! I saw a show interviewing Susan a few years ago. She is still buffed as can be, lives in the desert completely off the grid.
Wish I could do the potatoes...sigh
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
I feel tired, achey, and depressed.
This *could* indicate a sensitivity to nightshades.
I've known many people who experience less pain when they avoid them.
Quote:
I have been eating other nightshades, like tomatoes and eggplants and peppers with no ill effects...
Still, eating nothing but potatoes all day may have a different effect than eating nightshades in a mixed diet.

Be sure to store your potatoes in the dark, avoid green potatoes, and remove eyes, sprouts, and peels, where solanine is concentrated.

Glad you are feeling better today!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ok, so my BS from eating my first meal of potatoes. i forgot to test before eating. had sf fluids only between 8am and first meal.

12:17pm -- 98 (about 5-10 min after starting lunch)

12:38pm -- 107 (done eating)

1:12 pm -- 133

1:36 pm -- 126

2:08 pm -- 97

2:59 pm -- 72

ate my second meal at 3pm...the first one didn't hold me at all. i had one more test strip so checked my bs about 20 min after starting my 3pm meal and it was 90.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I drank two pitchers of lemon water, lost some of the retained salt and fluid, and feel immensely better. I don't expect that I'm going to feel great on a potato hack, due to the insulin spikes, as Kettleboy notes, but I sure feel better when I do it with loads of lemon water (and less salt on the potatoes). Thanks so much; you guys are the best!
So glad you're feeling better. I'm addicted to the lemon water now!!
Give yourself a few more days, if you can, for your body to adjust to the carbs, your kidneys to adjust to the new salt requirements & balance and to see movement on the scale. KeyTones posted in one of the potato threads how many physical potatoes you'd have to eat for a 1# weight gain to be from fat & its something like 70 potatoes per pound fat. No way to eat that many potatoes - you know the scale movement is water!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
12:17pm -- 98 (about 5-10 min after starting lunch)

12:38pm -- 107 (done eating)

1:12 pm -- 133

1:36 pm -- 126

2:08 pm -- 97

2:59 pm -- 72
those are really good numbers!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yeah, cool to see what the bod does. i'm not diabetic, but have the meter b/c it's also a blood ketone meter. got it free. i was thinking i would do NK and wanted to track blood ketones, but those test strips are $$$$$$!!!!! so i figured i would see how my body to the potato only thing.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

NO MORE POTATOES, PLEEEEEASE!!!

i felt great most of the day yesterday. then it was 5:00pm. o.O

from 5:00 till this morning still have had stomach cramps and maaaany trips to the bathroom!!! all for only a loss of 1.2 pounds.

so, i guess my foray into taters is done. i may still try them for DDs once my gut recoups.

that's my story.