Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Recipes for the potato hack

It was suggested that we could start a thread for potato hack recipes. In an effort to keep this thread mainly for recipes, I'm linking the 2 main potato hack information threads below:

A DD Hack

Potato Hack Paleo Blogs Anyone Doing This?

The first is LONG, but good, but worth taking the time to read it if you're interested.
The second is shorter (at least at the time this post is being created) and more concise - a well organized synopsis of the theory & science, with some feedback from other members.
Both these threads have were created by, and have regular input from some of our resident experts!!

Both these threads contain fantastic information about the potato hack, how to do it and the science behind why it works. They're both excellent starting points, then come back to this thread for the recipes.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Thank you for starting!

Here is my favorite recipe (thank you, ladies, for talking about making this! Here is my method):

Make turkey or chicken broth by simmering bones (last time, I found turkey necks at a Mexican grocer for $1 per pound, and it worked beautifully) all day in a crock pot on low with chicken bullion cubes and flavor at the end with basil and pepper.

Boil whole potatoes (prick each with a fork or they will explode in the water!) until tender, let cool enough to handle. Score them lengthwise all the way around, then peel skins off by hand (this is quicker and easier and reserves more of the potato vs. peeling with a knife). Mash plain or with a little chicken bullion and pour broth over. Or, mash the broth right into the potatoes.

Yum!!!

Note - I got the idea to use basil in the broth from pho restaurants.

Ugly Christmas sweater competition - this is how I felt in the elevator...

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-25-2013 at 11:41 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Potato recipes. DD
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Dottie--thanks for the sticky!

My absolutely favorite way to do the Tater hack is to use 2 or 3 small preboiled yukon gold potatoes. Pour a little bone broth over them and then dot them with Salsa con Queso (I use the target brand--2.5 g fat, 2 carbs, 1 protein/2 TBS). Nuke til hot, salt and pepper. Heaven.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Potato Broth Bake

Very popular, very yummy:

Peel & slice potatoes, layer in a baking pan (in my hands, an 8x8 holds about 3 large russets). Add about 2 cups chicken broth, salt & pepper to taste.

Bake for 70 minutes at 400 degrees.

Turns out with crispy "chips" on the top and gooey chicken goodness on the bottom. Suitable for re-heating.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i am doing my first PH.

my first foray into the taters has been very yummy and very simple.

i cut yukon golds in half length wise. placed them face up in a pan. sprinkled a little sea salt on them, then a little mrs. dash. baked them. the tops fgot browned and crispy. had i been eating them fresh out of the oven, i bet they would have been super yummy. but i was making them last night for today. so today, i just cubed them up and warmed them slightly. no dips, sauces, or nothing!! and they are soooo yummy!!
dazygyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Msevon2
I boiled about 3 of the red potatoes with a little bit of onion and salt and not too much water but a little extra. When done, I mashed part of the potatoes and added fat free sour cream and made a soup out of it. Very good. Could have been better with some fat free cheese.
Msevon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
Yenni, I used your recipe above today, and you're right, it's YUM! Thanks! I used lots of cracked pepper and added a few snipped wild green onions that had popped up in the front yard.

I hope everyone had a great day today!

Kimmie
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mashed potato bowl:

Make mashed potatoes with chicken (or turkey) broth, just little bits of chicken (or turkey) if you made your own broth, sprinkle in 3-4 shakes of tumeric (enough to color), salt and pepper to taste, mash. Stir in a little frozen corn (as in 1/2 cup for a 5 pound bag of potatoes).

Chicken bits and corn are condiment level.

I desperately needed some comfort food today.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Potato pizza:

Slice potatoes thin, fashion them on a pizza plate (or if microwaving, on a plate), top with fat-free spagetti sauce and spinkle with italian seasoning (or, spread with pizza sauce), bake or microwave (I microwaved - may want to cover it splatters).

Needed a treat badly tonight for dinner.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
KT--sending loving and healing vibes your way. I am so happy you can actually have some comforting potatoes given what you have been going through. Just concentrate on healing right now--both gut and soul.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, Ouizoid. It has been hard. These recipes brightened up my day a bit. Potatoes are comforting - especially the mashed potato bowl! Something about the yellow coloring was really fun.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: motivatedMomma4
Stats: 180/147/140
Start Date: Feb 19 2013
Ok, So im not usually a big fan of "as seen on tv" stuff, BUT, I got this thing at walmart called perfect fries.You stick your Potato in push down and tada..french fries :-) It was 10 bucks. I peel mine first, then I added seasoned salt, cyanne pepper, and garlic powder...soooo good...I like to make mine extra spicy :-) perfect PDD meal for me!
motivatedMomma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
My son wants to do the potato hack, so I boiled a bunch of potatoes for him this morning. When he came home from school, I made some hash browns.

Now, for some reason, ALL my life, I have made hash browns from raw grated potatoes, and home fries from sliced boiled potatoes. Today I went crazy and made hash browns from grated boiled potatoes!!!

They were very good and cooked up quickly!

A splash of soy sauce towards the end of cooking really helps foods brown and get a little crispy.
Will burn, though, if cooked too long or too hot.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Made home fries today and instead of using the "allowed" tsp of oil to brown the potatoes, I used about 1/2oz of grated cheddar cheese. Cooked the (boiled, sliced) potatoes in a dry skillet, pushed them to the side, fried the cheese til it started getting brown and crispy, then mixed it into the taters. Yummy!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #16
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I ran across this today and thought it would be great for the hack!

Vegan Potato & Spinach Balls -- Fat Free
It was on a site called instructables. If you google it, the pics look awesome too

3 big Potatoes (any kind you like)
2 or 3 cups of Spinach fresh or frozen (or any other leafy green)
3 cloves of Garlic
1 tbsp Basil
2 tbsp Chives
2 tbsp Parsley
1/2 tsp Cumin
2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (optional)
3 tbsp White Wine (optional)

Chop the potatoes in big chunks and boil until done but very firm (about 6 minutes). Add some salt to the water if you want. You can use frozen spinach, no problem with that. Just make sure to get all the water out before cooking.

Chop the Spinach like shown in the first picture, it doesn't have to be perfect. Cook it in a pan with the chopped garlic and the wine (or substitute for water) for 3 or 4 minutes until it's soft.

Chop the herbs, like shown in the pic. You don't have to use fresh, I just happen to have a mini garden of herbs. You can definitely use dried.

Mix everything in a bowl, (including the nutritional yeast if you have it on hand, if not don't worry) and let it rest until it's cool enough for you to touch it without burning your hands. It should look like pictures 3 and 4 below.

Then proceed to make small balls (like meatballs). I got 17 one and a half inch balls out of this recipe.

Bake for 15 minutes at 450 degrees. Make sure you put some cooking spray in your baking dish so they don't stick.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Found on another site:

Keep boiled or baked potatoes in the fridge for quick snacks, or microwave potatoes.

I microwave a potato, with the skin on, for about 5 mins, let it cool, then slice it into steak fries. Sprinkle some spices on, like mexican or chili seasoning, then broil in the oven until crispy. You'll need some parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet, so they won't stick.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #18
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Wrapping up my third potato hack day and my favorite way of eating my potatoes was.to slice them really thin, dry fry with just a bit of non-stick spray, with a mix of season salt, garlic powder, pepper and then eat with kethcup and hot sauce drizzled on them
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds good!

I read on another site some folks having a blast with a Nuwave oven fries - in case any of you have that contraption (I don't).

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-12-2013 at 01:20 PM..
Old 04-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Never Too Late
Stats: HW 350/JUDDD 265/Goal 118 to 125
WOE: JUDDD, Flexitarian
Start Date: JUDDD 6/24/14
"Hassle Free Hasselback Potatoes"

2 medium Yukon Gold or Russet Potatoes (rinsed and patted dry)
1 clove garlic, pressed through garlic-press, or minced
2-3 fresh rosemary needles, minced

Set oven to 425 degrees. Place potato on the "cradle" of a wooden spoon. Cut each potato into 1/4 inch slices, but take special care to avoid cutting through them entirely. (you don't want the potato slices to separate). The spoon will prevent you (hopefully) from slicing the entire way down.

Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spray the top of the potatoes with cooking spray (or use the "allowed" 1 tsp of oil, if you prefer). Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 40 minutes.

After 40 minutes, remove potatoes from oven. Carefully insert the minced garlic and rosemary between the potato slices. Spray the top of the potatoes with additional cooking spray, if desired. Bake for an additional 10-15 or until fork-tender and golden brown.

Enjoy! This also tastes spectacular with a combo of curry powder and "Lawry's Garlic Salt and Parsley."

L/Cyn

Last edited by Never Too Late; 04-24-2013 at 12:07 PM..
Never Too Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I love Hasselbacks, sounds good.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Never Too Late
Stats: HW 350/JUDDD 265/Goal 118 to 125
WOE: JUDDD, Flexitarian
Start Date: JUDDD 6/24/14
Thanks, Cindy

I'm enjoying the potato hack, and love to try new recipes. Do you have any special dd recipes or special ingredients or supplements you've tried that you particularly enjoy?

Cyn
Never Too Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #23

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I don't do the hack myself although I eat potatoes....
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Ouiz recommended using salsa con queso. I will "bake" a few yukons in the microwave, mush with chicken broth or bone broth (depending on what I have) and then spread with 1T of SCQ. For me, the 1-2g of fat in the SCQ does not appreciably affect my losses on the potato hack. YMMV.
Along those same lines, I've done the same thing with a wedge of laughing cow. I prefer the French Onion flavor for this approach.
I'd like to try the baked Hasselbecks - those sound good!
I've yet to have a round of "microwave chips" not stick horribly to the plate. I now have parchment paper so will try with that.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
As Yennie has tried the congee and liked it, for those of us who include rice on the potato hack, it's worth trying congee.

Congee is rice soup/gruel and is my standard snack on the potato hack (it's also fabulous for any gastrointestinal upsets as it's remarkably soothing). The plain version is the most useful for the potato hack and you adapt it to suit your preference for the thickness of the soup and how burst you like your rice grains.

Metric version with Thai fragrant or jasmine rice

150g Thai fragrant or jasmine rice
1/2tsp salt
2.4 litres water

Rinse and drain the rice.

Bring the 2.4 litres of water to the boil in a heavy-bottom pan over a high heat. Add the salt and the drained rice and return to the boil.

Keep the pan partly covered and simmer over a gentle heat for 90-120 mins , depending on your preferences - you should stir from time to time to make sure that grains don't catch on the bottom. The rice grains should burst open to form a soft gruel or quite thick soup.

You can thin and flavour the soup to match your needs. I add a tsp of Knorr's reduced salt chicken stock powder and/or some chili flakes. I've also tried variations of ground or shredded seaweed or shichimi togarishi (a Japanese blend of chilli and pepper) with sushi ginger and they're all good.

brown rice (volume version)

1 cup brown rice
6 cups water

Wash and drain the brown rice. Add it to the water, bring to the boil in a heavy-bottomed pan and follow the above directions, except, depending on the age of your rice, and your preferences, this can take from 3-6hrs. Season and flavour to preference after it's cooked.

There are much fancier congees where the rice is cooked in stock or some ribs and chicken along with slices of vegetables are cooked together. However, for the purposes of the potato hack, the plainer the better (although the spices or fat-free stock powders are fine and within the scope of the hack).

Plain congee can provide a good mug of (to me) satisfying soup for fewer than 40kcals and it's remarkably soothing. It can be flavoured with tiny amounts of spices or even a couple of slices of sushi ginger or 2 tiny cubes of fermented tofu which packs a remarkably pungent taste for such a small amount.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #26

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Thanks for that recipe SlowSure. I've been really curious about the congee when you've talked about it. It sounded so exotic and I thought it would be difficult to make. I'll try it sometime soon now!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Its super easy to make and really, really nice. I made 2 batches to get me through this week. It turns out to be, basically, 10 cups water and 1 cup rice. I added some ginger and chicken bullion to my batches and its really tasty.
I also expected it to be harder than it actually was.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
Does the rice work as well for you as the potato on the hack?

The congee recipe sounds delish!

Kimmie
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmietoo View Post
Does the rice work as well for you as the potato on the hack?
I had some GI upset in the early days of the PH and including rice as well as potato helped me to stick with it. The rice gives a similar glycemic lift to you as the potato so should have tha same metabolic impact.

Rice doesn't have the same protein content as the potato so it's not recommended for sole use in the hack. I couldn't have continued the 28 day hack I did without incorporating rice (mostly as congee).

I also ate idli -these are a South Indian breakfast item of steamed rice dumplings. However you need a very specialist grinder to make your own and although you can buy the powder mix for it in the UK I don't think it's readily available in the US.

Last edited by SlowSure; 04-27-2013 at 07:50 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Hey guys, I'm sorry for being so lost but what do you mean by "hack"? Is this like a thing of eating only potatoes on down days?
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote