Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
Hey guys, I'm sorry for being so lost but what do you mean by "hack"? Is this like a thing of eating only potatoes on down days?
There are links in the first post to threads explaining what the potato hack is. This thread is for recipes so there isn't a lot of info in it.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmyzoe
Soooo, where are the recipes for the CHOCOLATE HACK?!
luvmyzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
Try using chocolate mint! You can get the plants at your local building supply while the garden plants are in stock.
Kimmietoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #34
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
DH and I did our first Potato Hack DD yesterday! We both really enjoyed it and suffered no ill effects, which calmed DH's fears that the potatoes would rev up his blood sugar and then drop him like a brick from a 10 story building. This morning he's down nearly two pounds and me, about a pound and a half. Already looking forward to tomorrow's Potato Day!

I ovenroasted some assorted fingerling and purple potatoes that I got at Costco. Sprayed VERY lightly with olive oil spray and then sprinkled with garlic salt - roasted at 400* til they were very tender. Really nice to snack on, as they're basically finger food when cold. I dipped some of mine into a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar, and some into SF ketchup.

Last night, I made O'Brien potatoes. Got 2 big bags for $5 at SaveMart - ingredients were potatoes, peppers, onions, and citric acid. Very light on the peppers and onions.

I threw one whole bag into my big nonstick skillet, added a splash of chicken broth, covered and let cook til tender, then uncovered, added 1 tsp. olive oil, and fried til I couldn't wait any longer. I'd have liked them a bit more browned but I was impatient and DH was at the dinner table, fork in hand! There were very good.

I think tomorrow night I'm gonna just have a big ol' baked Russet with a tablespoon each of Salsa con Queso and jarred salsa. Can't wait!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
OOooooo Char! so excited to see how it works for you! I love my tater DD's when I do them. so so satsifying. good news on the WL front as well! How long do you plan to hack? Or are you just doing tater DDs??
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I just made real potato chips in the MW! They are GREAT! See post #1707 here for the pic and instructions: A DD Hack
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #37
Gadget Gal

Ouis, I think we're gonna stick with potatoes on the DDs for now - seems so simple, no hunger pangs, nothing I can find bad about it - after the first day anyway!

Any reason NOT to do it this way?

Interestingly - I've not been very hungry today! I had a cup of decaf with cream for breakfast, one slice of my homemade sprouted wheat bread with a little butter; for lunch I stopped at McD's for a chicken/bacon wrap and a diet Coke and couldn't finish the wrap!

Made up 4 pounds of bacon, ate 3 slices and now I feel stuffed. What's going on here???
Old 07-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

whats going on is potatoes. the most amazingly satisfying food. Since doing the potato hack things have really changed for me. I am satisfied with so much less food, and mostly vegetarian!! something about the combo of resistant starch and fasting is extraordinarily satiating.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #39
Gadget Gal

OK, so second potato DD! Yesterday, I cut into chunks 5 pounds of red-skinned potatoes and the rest of the fingerling mix I got at Costco.

I had cooked 4 pounds of bacon on two foil-lined baking pans earlier, so I poured off every bit of bacon fat that wasn't stuck to the pan, divided the potatoes between the two pans, sprayed very lightly with olive oil spray, then sprinkled fairly liberally with garlic salt, and some crushed dried thyme. I roasted them at 375*, turning every now and then, til they were browning up nicely. They're quite good!

Just now, I took a large russet potato, cooked it in the microwave til a fork easily pierced the flesh (about 8 minutes total), wrapped it in a towel and let sit about 10 minutes. Then I halved it lengthwise, scooped out the innards into a mixing bowl, added 2 tablespoons Tostitos Salsa con Queso (40 cal, 2.5 grams fat), 1 tablespoon Costco's bacon bits (35 cal, 2 grams fat), a few slices of green onion tops, some garlic and onion powders, and a few red pepper flakes. Mixed that all together and divided it between the two tater shells, sprinkled the top with paprika, and it's now in a 400* oven for 10 minutes!

Anybody see any problems with the above? I figure half of that big potato will easily make a meal, if not two.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #40
Gadget Gal

Today DH and I bought a 10 pound bag of russet potatoes. So far, we've put the shredder attachment on the Kitchenaid and shredded up a bunch, then par-cooked in the MW, and now have cooled and bagged for freezing; we used the new french fry cutter I got, did a bunch more russets up with that, then cut them crosswise into cubes, and put them on nonstick foil on a baking sheet, sprayed lightly with olive oil spray, sprinkled with garlic salt and minced fresh rosemary from the garden, and they're in a 400* oven roasting til they get browned; and last but not least, we cut more up into just the fries, which I put in a big ziploc bag, added 2 tsp. oil and some garlic salt, shook the bejeebers out of them to coat each french fry stick, and onto another nonstick foil lined baking sheet and in the same oven with the cubes, will do those til they're browning as well.

When we were shredding the potatoes, which we did NOT peel first, some big pieces of peel stuck in the rotoslicer so I took those, put them on a piece of foil, sprayed lightly/sprinkled with garlic salt, and popped into the oven, turning over once, til they got crispy. Man were THOSE good.

AND next we may thinly slice some of the rest of the 'taters and make ovenbrowned chips!

When we want to eat those shredded hash browns, the plan is to put them in the panini press with a little olive oil sprayed on bottom and top plates, and cook til golden brown. We MIGHT do that for dinner, depends on how this other stuff comes out and if that looks really good when it is done!

Fun with 'taters. We has it.

Last edited by Charski; 07-14-2013 at 02:35 PM..
Old 07-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

you does, lol!
Old 07-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #42
Gadget Gal

Yep Ouis - and it's ALL YOUR FAULT!

We weren't overly fond of the shredded ones, but we loved the little cubes of crispy brown potato goodness and of course how can one NOT love french fries!
Old 07-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't like the shredded ones either. I gotta say, my favorite dinner is cubed potato in a bowl with a cup of 5 calorie broth topped with 2 Tbs of SCQ. Hot and stirred together, heaven. hard to believe it is diet food.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/212/??? 5/10" The real age 49
WOE: 2014 Nutritional Ketosis Experiment Begins
Start Date: LC'05,'10Paleo,'13 S.Guyenet+S.Roberts'14C.Kresser
I have a thing lately for mashing potatoes (7 very large russet potatoes peeled) with water, adding 2 heaping tablespoons of bob's red mill unmodified potato starch, 1 tablespoon of salt and 2 heaping tablespoons of nutritional yeast, then stirring in frozen corn (maybe one cup?).

I set the beaters on the lowest possible speed and leave the potatoes rather lumpy to avoid overprocessing them.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Keta
Stats: 210/196/170 5'9" 50 y/o
Start Date: 7/1/2013
No Oil / No Fat ~ Crispy Roast Potatoes

Yield: Serves 6-8

No Oil No Fat Crispy Roast Potatoes

Ingredients:

4 pounds potatoes (I highly recommend using Russet)
2 tbsp all purpose flour
salt and pepper

Directions:

*** Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

*** Peel the skin off the potatoes, placing the potatoes in cool water after peeling so they don't discolor.

*** Once the potatoes are peeled, cut them into evenly sized small pieces. Place the potato pieces in a pot, fill with enough cold water to cover the potatoes, and salt the water. Bring to a boil on high heat (you always cook potatoes starting with cold water in order to ensure evenly cooked pieces. If you start the potatoes in boiling water, the outside will be overcooked by the time the inside is done). Once the water is boiling, cook for an additional 4 minutes. Drain the potatoes, return the pieces to the pot (don't put the pot back on the heat), and sprinkle over the flour. Put the lid back on the pan, and shake it up, shake, shake, shake. You are marring the edges, which will facilitate the crunchiness of the potatoes later on.

*** Dump the potatoes onto a sheet pan and make sure they are in a single layer (don't crowd the potatoes, or the edges won't get crispy). Give it a good sprinkling of sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, and they are ready to go into the oven. Roast for 45-55 minutes at 450 degrees F, but watch them carefully. Enjoy your crispy potatoes!
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/156/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
I just made these. Very good. I'll see if the flour messes up weight or causes cravings. I baked two plantains yesterday all afternoon and have wanted sweets ever since. They were so good chewy and sweet. They were very ripe I love eating them.
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

The sweet ripe plantains slowly roasted all afternoon aren't messing me up. Ate some last night as a sweet treat after dinner.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/150/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Whatever gets me to goal...
Start Date: January 2013
Is malt vinegar allowed on the hack? Either way, I guess a white balsamic might work too - making vinegar potatoes! Kinda like boardwalk fries, but not fries
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Malt vinegar is supposedly the best for this. I use red wine vinegar as I can't stomach the malt v. I've used white and dark balsamic, too.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jeanyyy
Stats: 227.1/160.4/155/5'6"
WOE: HCG-Omni/Intermountain
Does the flour in those roasted potatoes not mess them up for the PH? Or is there not enough to make a difference? I don't really have a concept of how many servings 4 lbs would be... 6 at least?
Jeanyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

I halved it-2 big russets and used 1 T flour and ate it all. Two lbs of baked = about 9/10 oz baked=300 calories, I believe. Potatoes lose a lot of weight in cooking. I think part of this weight loss is calorie reduction. If I'm correct, I'm eating under 1000 a day. I might be wrong, tho.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DrwhoTardisRose
Stats: Start/168/current/154/goal/120
Start Date: January 1, 2014
How many potatoes do you get on a DD?
DrwhoTardisRose is offline   Reply With Quote