Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   potatoe hack gas? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/797904-potatoe-hack-gas.html)

shepheka 02-25-2013 05:00 PM

potatoe hack gas?

Am I the only one who gets terrible gas when I do this? Is it normal? This is my second attempt at doing this potatoe hack and I am really gassy!

adillenal 02-25-2013 05:29 PM

No problems when I eat the Yukon Golds. Some people say not to eat the skins.

shepheka 02-25-2013 06:18 PM

Thanks, I will try that.

svenskamae 02-25-2013 07:42 PM

I'm so glad you asked this question. :) This is day 2 of potato hacking for me, and starting this afternoon I was having a problem with gas. I will start peeling off the potato skins before eating and see if that helps.

Yennie 02-25-2013 07:58 PM

Not been a problem for me. I am about 50/50 on whether or not I eat the skins.
However, wholeheartedly second the ginger recommendation. BUT I would like to warn, from personal experience, watch out for the ginger candy with xylitol. I had horrible stomach pains (I have my own personal ulcer friend, I've named him Ralph, he likes to come visit at the most inopportune time). I went to the co-op & bought ginger tea and some candies to suck on. This was the first time I hadn't been able to find my usual brand of ginger candy so I got some with xylitol in one of those little Altoid knock off tins. Ate 1/2 a tin in one afternoon, spend the rest of the evening and most of the night in the bathroom.
But, on the flip side, if I'm ever constipated I know what will get things moving!!!

Key Tones 02-25-2013 09:25 PM

I had a bout with gas early on. Hang in there. It improved quickly, but I don't know why. I thought maybe it was that time I ate cold potatoes, but I did it again the next week and nothing. :dunno:

ouizoid 02-26-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Key Tones (Post 16280876)
I had a bout with gas early on. Hang in there. It improved quickly, but I don't know why. I thought maybe it was that time I ate cold potatoes, but I did it again the next week and nothing. :dunno:

yes--seems to be temporary. There are a lot of temporary conditions associated with starting the PH. I believe that in addition to the adaptation phase (new microflora in your gut), there is a detox that happens. This can be uncomfortable, but I hope that people hang in there, because the benefits are wonderful.

BaileysGirl 02-26-2013 09:47 AM

Yep!! LOL I only did it for a day and a half but I def had it then!

Demonica 02-26-2013 09:50 AM

When I did the PH, I had gas from hell too. and I had to become a contortionist to get the bubbles out because they would not budge willingly:o

SICCHI 02-26-2013 04:04 PM

Yes I had this problem painfully when I was eating the skins. I still do a little without them, but was reading about the good gut flora in potatoes. Now, everytime I have had any supplement or vitamin to improve gut flora (which is from slow metabolism), I have had gas but it passes as the body gets used to it. I know, I know, its annoying though right?
Anyone like me who generally has issues with slow metabolism, I have just started taking spirulina for the last 2 weeks and OMG, what a difference. Flax seed muffins too, I feel brand new. Can't believe it has taken me so long to figure this out!
Spirulina tastes absolutely :sick:, but totally worth it :)

SICCHI 02-26-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonica (Post 16281810)
When I did the PH, I had gas from hell too. and I had to become a contortionist to get the bubbles out because they would not budge willingly:o

HAHAHA! :hyst: Yep, it can get like that!