Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   An Update (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/797886-update.html)

Majella 02-25-2013 03:05 PM

An Update

I felt the huge need to post here today. I went to the gp last week and asked if she would prescribe a low dose cortisol since every time it has been tested it's been low. Well she did and I feel like a new woman! I haven't felt this well since I was a child. I can just keep going, no weak legs or brain fog. I even went to the cinema and sat through the whole movie without needing to go to the loo. 3 hrs long, I've never been able to go that long and I wasn't too uncomfortable either but did need to go after the movie. That is huge for me as every long trip we take has to be planned around toilet stops, everything would run through me in 20 mins or so, liquids I mean. I feel so hopeful now and not so easily worried or depressed. :jumpjoy: I know it's only been a few days but wow I am amazed. Back to woe stuff:

I ate too much over the weekend:o but today was a DD and I also decided to go gluten free. Well almost gluten free because the sauces can be expensive so I'll replace the pasta and bread and forget about cookies! It's really hard though, maybe too hard for me. Today I had mashed potato and oxtail soup for dinner. I fasted all day and even cycled in and out of work. It was hard work I've not been on the bike for a few months and I also decided to take my rather heavy laptop along, a snail could have passed me out!! I've been drinking water with a bit of squeezed lemon all day. I never realized there was so many calories in a spud so my calories today came to 700 instead of 500 :dunno: it took so much effort today to not go to the supermarket and buy rubbish. I'm hoping tomorrow will be easier as it's an UD. Well thats all from me for now :shake:

Kissa 02-25-2013 03:25 PM

That is great Majella, I haven't really heard of cortisol treatment.

Going gluten free helps a lot of people. Hope it is good for you too.

hot-in-texas 02-25-2013 04:41 PM

Majella, you did a lot of good stuff! Riding you bike, avoiding buying rubbish, asking your doctor for what you need to feel better. Deciding to go without gluten. Give yourself a pat on the back, you are doing terrific!:shake:

svenskamae 02-25-2013 04:45 PM

Thanks for the update, Majella. I'm surprised that you are finding so many calories in potatoes; I ate nothing but potatoes yesterday, to satiation, and was surprised at how few calories I took in, despite feeling full. Is the calorie count you checked assuming that there is anything added to the potatoes? I eat them plain, boiled in salty water, with a splash of malt vinegar, and weigh them to know how many calories I am getting.

Keep up the good work. I'm glad that you are feeling so much better.

Majella 02-26-2013 05:54 AM

I was looking in my fittness pal for boiled potatoes and it said one large potato is 283 calories and I was on a DD so I was trying to keep them down but I ate 3 potatos, 2 large and one little.
@Sher thank you :) just found out today my cycle was difficult because I didn't have enough air in the tyres lol
@Cindy I never knew about it either but it's called adrenal fatigue, so when I was stressed I wasn't releasing enough cortisol. Here's a little more info:
Cortisol is an important hormone in the body, secreted by the adrenal glands and involved in the following functions and more:

Proper glucose metabolism
Regulation of blood pressure
Insulin release for blood sugar maintanence
Immune function
Inflammatory response
Normally, it’s present in the body at higher levels in the morning, and at its lowest at night. Although stress isn’t the only reason that cortisol is secreted into the bloodstream, it has been termed “the stress hormone” because it’s also secreted in higher levels during the body’s ‘fight or flight’ response to stress, and is responsible for several stress-related changes in the body. Small increases of cortisol have some positive effects:

A quick burst of energy for survival reasons
Heightened memory functions
A burst of increased immunity
Lower sensitivity to pain
Helps maintain homeostasis in the body

While cortisol is an important and helpful part of the body’s response to stress, it’s important that the body’s relaxation response to be activated so the body’s functions can return to normal following a stressful event. Unfortunately, in our current high-stress culture, the body’s stress response is activated so often that the body doesn’t always have a chance to return to normal, resulting in a state of chronic stress.

Higher and more prolonged levels of cortisol in the bloodstream (like those associated with chronic stress) have been shown to have negative effects, such as:

Impaired cognitive performance
Suppressed thyroid function
Blood sugar imbalances such as hyperglycemia
Decreased bone density
Decrease in muscle tissue
Higher blood pressure
Lowered immunity and inflammatory responses in the body, slowed wound healing, and other health consequences
Increased abdominal fat, which is associated with a greater amount of health problems than fat deposited in other areas of the body. Some of the health problems associated with increased stomach fat are heart attacks, strokes, the development of metabolic syndrome, higher levels of “bad” cholesterol (LDL) and lower levels of “good” cholesterol (HDL), which can lead to other health problems!
Fascinating isn't it?

zipp2play 02-26-2013 06:23 AM

Let me know if you need more info on GF items. I have Celiac and have been GF for years. Bodies sometimes do better with less processed stuff! Good Luck!

LoCarbGal 02-26-2013 09:03 AM

That's so great to hear, Majella! Isn't it amazing how our bodies react to just a little more of this, a little less of that. What an amazing balancing act they do every day to keep us going. So happy for you!

Yennie 02-26-2013 09:49 AM

This is fantastic news! I'm so glad you figured out what was out of balance, and I'm even happier to hear that your GP listened to you. So exciting you're feeling better.
Onward and DOWNWARD we go, right?

Majella 02-26-2013 11:26 AM

Yes onward and downward!! I am amazed at how the body does so much without us really knowing it. I'm so happy it's nothing serious because some-day's I felt like I was dieing. I was weak and short of breath,my hand and feet used to tingle a lot. My brain also slowed down and I really notice the difference in that. I can think a lot faster now and I'm not losing words as much if you know what I mean.
Zipp2play I would love some GF idea's, gluten can be in the strangest of things. I miss my quiche and sausage rolls though. Already the cravings are less and my tummy is very quiet now as well. It used to make some gargling noises lol. Today is going well, I had some GF bread toasted for brekkie and having garlic chicken for dinner. I have pepsi in the fridge as a treat as well :) I can't wait to see the scales dropping again :shake:

Kissa 02-26-2013 11:44 AM

There are some great online gluten free recipe threads and loads of good recipe books around. I have a Brother in Law who, though not coeliac, has to be gluten free and we manage fine with him most of the time. If you don't have to be too strict it isn't hard.

Majella 02-27-2013 05:37 AM

Cindy you are right, there is a lot I can have if I try. Also I didn't go shopping yet so had no eggs in the house, which make a great brekkie. My scales were not up after my UD yesterday, they were exactly the same! I drank a lot of pepsi so I though I'd be up :) Today I'm fasting until dinner but do have plans for a coffee with a friend later. I have a cupa soup in my bag just in case I get very hungry. So far I feel fine, no hunger or longings for biscuits. It's so hard to get back into the swing of things and I feel like I'm there now and don't want to go back to that mindset of feeling deprived. I hope the scales show even a tiny loss tomorrow :)

Kissa 02-27-2013 07:40 AM

Fingers crossed.

Eieio 02-27-2013 07:45 AM

glad ur feeling better Majella.
Ei

KeirasMom 02-27-2013 09:03 AM

Keira and I did GF for a week, just to try it and to test for sensitivity. Thankfully, we are both fine with gluten, but we found lots of tasty things to eat during that week. Good luck!

sorenkkg 02-27-2013 12:02 PM

Isn't it great when things take a turn for the BETTER and you feel up and motivated! Keep it up, you will see benefits from any little change you make :)
:hugs:
S.

Luv2Eat 02-27-2013 01:05 PM

Majella, I'm so glad you're feeling better! :hugs:

Carly 02-28-2013 06:08 AM

I'm so glad you are feeling better. I hope you see the losses you are looking for :aprayer:

Majella 03-02-2013 03:22 PM

Welll now I am sick, I have a chest infection :( but i'll be so glad when next week is over and I can close that dam shop and get on with things. Lots of cleaning and moving to be done so hopefully i'll be better soon. My woe has gone out the window, i'll restart things when i feel better. Nice thing is I'm not very hungry and nothing tastes right!

hot-in-texas 03-02-2013 10:01 PM

Dang! Sounds like the shop is a lot of work, I hope you start to feel better soon. Sending tons of positive energy your way!:heart::heart:

Carly 03-03-2013 06:04 AM

Feel better :console:

gotsomeold 03-03-2013 06:33 AM

Hey Majella!

I thought I would throw my gf journey in to encourage you. I went back and forth with wheat for months. Finally decided to just stop it completely for a few months and see what happened.

What happened was amazing - last vestiges of red cheeks and nose gone, puffy eyes reducing, other signs of inflammation (like, even though the scale was unchanged, my tummy was so puffy I couldn't wear my small jeans) going or gone. Weight loss/maintenance much easier. Sinus inflammation - a life-long problem - improving. Constant low-grade acid reflux gone. DH convinced I am crazy (but that is not such a big change :hyst:)

When things calm down and the stress of the shop is over, I encourage you to try gf for a month. You are moving in such a good direction!!!!!!

hot-in-texas 03-03-2013 08:16 AM

Nancy, I was wondering if your gluten free is strict gluten free, or do you also restrict other things(such as preservatives, legumes, sugar or anything else). Learn so much from y'all.