Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   weight gain? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/797845-weight-gain.html)

BobApjok 02-25-2013 03:40 AM

weight gain?

Just trying to figure out if this is going to work for me. Tomorrow will be 1 week and i have gained about 3 lbs. i obviously cannot afford to be gaining, so i need to try and decide whether to bail. i went from atkins straight into this. It hasnt been super hard really with the DD, but i just cant afford to spend time on it, if it isnt going to help me. I have been under my DD numbers and right around my UD numbers so i just want to know if this is in any way normal. seems like everyone else loses bigger in the first week.

Dottie 02-25-2013 03:56 AM

Bob did you add a lot of carbs (especially grains and sugars) right away?
Since you've been low-carb a long time, I suggest adding carbs slowly to let your body adjust and let the SIRT1 kick in :)

mom23kids 02-25-2013 04:28 AM

When i switched from lc to juddd i also had a bounce, but after a few dds i lost the bounce and then started losing :) give it more time!

Whitlin' 02-25-2013 04:35 AM

Hi there, Bob. Congratulations on losses so far.

Many here who have transitioned from Atkins to JUDDD mention that there is a temporary weight gain because of the change. As Dottie says, carbs being added in are probably the reason you've had a small gain. I think you'll find that most who had the kind of initial losses you are talking about were coming from different directions. I had a loss the first week, but I was not low-carbing in the weeks before that.

My best guess is that you'll start losing soon. It is worth double-checking your calorie goals on your DDs and UDs to see if any tweaking is needed, but no reason to make changes necessarily. I'd say a 3-pound gain in transition from Atkins to JUDDD is predictable and temporary.

All best wishes!

BobApjok 02-25-2013 04:47 AM

Thanks, makes me feel a little better. yes, i did add some carbs back in. i wasnt going to, but i decided to try and mix it up some. i was actually afraid that that might do something, since when i stop low carb i immediately gain about 5 lbs. i think i will stick with it and see what happens then. i have come down a little bit since the big gain day, so maybe it will still turn around. Thanks again for the help.

Carly 02-25-2013 05:08 AM

You will probably notice a whoosh in a week if you just added carbs this week. It's most likely water and your body will let it go (read here- many trips to the bathroom followed by a drop on the scale):)

hot-in-texas 02-25-2013 05:53 AM

I did lose immediately after switching from Atkins, but that is probably because my calories were so high on Atkins(I ate constantly). Glad you more going to give it some more time:)

KeirasMom 02-25-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobApjok (Post 16278899)
Thanks, makes me feel a little better. yes, i did add some carbs back in. i wasnt going to, but i decided to try and mix it up some. i was actually afraid that that might do something, since when i stop low carb i immediately gain about 5 lbs. i think i will stick with it and see what happens then. i have come down a little bit since the big gain day, so maybe it will still turn around. Thanks again for the help.

When I switched from Atkins to JUDDD, I took a weekend off and added carbs. I gained 3 pounds that weekend (all water weight I'm sure) and it came back off, and has taken more than 100 of it's friends with it. I think that's probably it. If you normally gain 5 pounds with carbs, you could look at it like you've actually lost 2 pounds of fat, since you're only up 3 pounds. That's the kind of math that gets me through. :hyst:

LoCarbGal 02-25-2013 07:56 AM

I'm glad you're feeling better about it Bob. I really would encourage you to give it at least a few weeks and let your body adjust. Like the others have said, adding back carbs after serious LCing is water weight. Keep us posted.

BobApjok 02-25-2013 08:22 AM

The only reason i had considered stopping is that it took about 3 weeks to get the 3 lbs off so in my head that felt like i wasted the previous 3 weeks, plus if i go another week and gain then ive wasted a month or so, but i think what everyone is saying seems right, so im gonna stick with it. it certainly helps to hear that it isnt that abnormal given the circumstances.

Kissa 02-25-2013 09:25 AM

Yes, as you've heard, that will be the carbs holding some water.

It is so good to be able to enjoy some carbs again and it one of the things that makes this easier to follow. If you find carbs on your plate at a social function you know they are not going to throw your weight loss completely.

You will soon see the water go and it should take some more pounds with it.

I look forward to following your progress.

sorenkkg 02-25-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16279315)
That's the kind of math that gets me through. :hyst:

:cool: i am totally going to scrutinize all your numbers from now on, missy! New math, indeed!

:rofl:

KeirasMom 02-25-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorenkkg (Post 16280864)
:cool: i am totally going to scrutinize all your numbers from now on, missy! New math, indeed!

:rofl:

Just know that I never change my "current" weight until I hit a new low. I haven't seen 161.0 for a while! Though I was 161.8 this morning, so my fuzzy math is "close enough for government work." :D

Eieio 02-26-2013 06:49 AM

BOB!
Juddd has my vote for u.
Give it some time.
Looks like ur doing great on ur numbers for juddd woe.
Let the sirt1 gene grab u!
U will be smiling all the way while sporting ur baggy britches!

BobApjok 02-26-2013 10:17 AM

Thanks. im going to stay with it and see where it goes. Always been an atkins guy and know those rules inside and out. It's different when you start out, so we will see. Thanks for the encouragement.