Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
DD Potato Day

I have been doing all of my DD's as potato days recently since I can eat more calories and still maintain. And for some reason having potatoes every other day is satisfying to me. Not sure if I want to spend the rest of my life eating cold boiled potatoes EOD but for now it is working for me.

Anyone else doing only the DD's as potato days?

Last edited by adillenal; 02-23-2013 at 06:37 AM..
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Yes ma'am, I am!! Your story, in part, has inspired me to do so.
Like you, I find I'm no longer needing to count calories when I limit myself to coffee with CO and SF vanilla syrup in the morning, wait 4 hours then finish out the day with potatoes.
Funny enough I actually find myself more satisfied when I eat them warm. Strange.
Anyhow, I am full, satisfied and find no need to count calories. I'm sure I go over the 440 allotted for my DDs but, like you, I'm losing. I feel its the magic of the potato!!
I thought I'd try a hack the other day but by the end of the 2nd day I had a gigantic salad and an UD the next day (yesterday). Apparently I'm not ready for multiple days in a row of potatoes. Maybe I'll try again soon.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Yennie - glad to have helped. I was so hoping to be able to do higher DD's in maintenance and with potatoes I can do that. No hunger since I eat a potato if I feel hungry.
I have done the multiple days with potatoes but I am enjoying the freedom right now of potato DD's. I really like the Yukon gold potatoes cold. Not any others though. I keep small russets to bake and eat with a little salsa. I tried the fingerlings but they were not any better in my opinion than any other plain potato. And they are much more expensive. Tried red skinned too but russets and gold are my favorites. Even caught DH eating my cold boiled potatoes out of the ziplock bag in the frig.

I am not counting calories either. Just eating potatoes when I get hungry. As long as I maintain doing this I am so happy. Been working for this past week so I will continue my potato DD's.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I've found the same things with my potato choices. I bought 4 bags the last time I was at Costco. The fingerlings taste no different to me. I'm ok with the reds, if I load them with A-1 & salt. The plain ole russets are best, for me, "baked" and soaked with chicken broth. I love the yukon golds "baked" with salt & A-1. Once I finish off the variety I have, I'll be sticking with the russets and golds. I'm with you - the others don't offer any additional benefits and cost more.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

My local grocery store is probably trying to figure out why they are suddenly selling a lot of Yukon Gold potatoes. I did notice the stack was not as big as usual yesterday.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I have plenty of potatoes that I can eat today for my DD. I think I'll do it. I've only had coffee w/cream and splenda so far, but I'm hungry. I don't have a lot of condiments though that are fat free. I have broth, worchestershire....I also bought a lot of salad makings yesterday: green leaf lettuce, cukes, organic carrots...ok to add to a PD?
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

On DD potato days I use plain salt and/or salsa otherwise just plain. I don't eat salads at all anymore so have never tried them on a potato DD.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Ok. I made a large salad so I know I will be eating that. I have some baby golds that I will boil later and eat more salad. It might not be a PD, per se, but I can certainly eat potatoes and be within my limits.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Cindy,
I've done salad on a PDD (the end of my 2 day "hack" but it had been 4 hours since I'd eaten my last potato so I was ok with the salad). My salad was a gigantic amount of lettuce,a few crumbled pecans, a bit of shredded cheese & WF Raspberry dressing. It was good, and a great break from the potatoes.
If you've got broth, do a baked potato with broth (+/- salt) or mashed potatoes moistened with the broth. Both very yummy, very filling!!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115.5/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Just a note on the potatoes: "baked" and soaked with chicken broth

These are very good, but even better on day 2 fried in bacon fat! It may be over the limit on calories but so worth it and they do not stick to the frying pan, just super great!! I use them on DD and stay with in my calories!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
Just a note on the potatoes: "baked" and soaked with chicken broth

These are very good, but even better on day 2 fried in bacon fat! It may be over the limit on calories but so worth it and they do not stick to the frying pan, just super great!! I use them on DD and stay with in my calories!
My bad, I was actually referring to "baking" the potato in the microwave, a la a baked potato, and then using chicken broth instead of butter.

I also like the potato broth bake. But, regardless of the calories, adding the bacon fat defeats the purpose of the potato-only day: the high carbs/starch with no fat. Since I absolutely LOVE fried potatoes, for me, I can't mentally enjoy them on my UDs without ruining them for my DDs. *sigh*
Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I've just started eating potatoes only today, a down day. (I'm eating cold boiled potatoes with salt and malt vinegar, along with lemon water and tea.) So far, it's going okay, not much hunger and no hypoglycemia. If it continues to go well, I'm going to try to keep up the potatoes until I have a social engagement for dinner on Friday.

I should read through the whole potato hack thread, I guess, but it's a little daunting, so I started here.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

In my search for satisfying DD's without messing up my maintenance - I have discovered the potato DD. I am not hungry and I don't gain so it is the best of both worlds. Until about 10am this morning I thought it was a DD since I was not hungry and I am usually really hungry on UD mornings.

Getting low on potatoes though. All out of Yukon Golds.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
In my search for satisfying DD's without messing up my maintenance - I have discovered the potato DD. I am not hungry and I don't gain so it is the best of both worlds. Until about 10am this morning I thought it was a DD since I was not hungry and I am usually really hungry on UD mornings.

Getting low on potatoes though. All out of Yukon Golds.
I am in with yukons! I am making tater soup today from Key Tones recipe with adding leeks & my turkey bb. I will report back how I like it!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I've just started eating potatoes only today, a down day. (I'm eating cold boiled potatoes with salt and malt vinegar, along with lemon water and tea.) So far, it's going okay, not much hunger and no hypoglycemia. If it continues to go well, I'm going to try to keep up the potatoes until I have a social engagement for dinner on Friday.

I should read through the whole potato hack thread, I guess, but it's a little daunting, so I started here.
You may find this less intimidating:

Potato hack paleo blogs anyone doing this?

Its only about 3 pages long, and, in it, KeyTones summarizes the science and the why. This helped me a lot as the thread here is WAY too long for me to read. I get lost in the quotes & re-quotes!

I've been doing my DDs as PDDs but have yet to successfully hack. I'm going off program this weekend and next, will try to use the tools I learned to not go crazy and overeat. I'm hoping I can use potatoes during the week to lose anything I pick up this weekend and then to lose anything I pick up next weekend. I'm going to look at it as a metabolism charge-up!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

I am trying to get myself under control to go to the Houston Livestock Show with 2 UD's and one DD. The DD will be fine but I can go a little wild at the concession stands. Their portions are just way too big. Maybe I can find another exhibitor to split with.

Am boiling my new gold taters. I had to dig through the whole display at the store to find the bags with the small potatoes. Found a whole nest at the bottom and bought all of the bags of little golds. Plus a bag of reds and a 10# bag of russets. The check out girl looked at me kind of funny but didn't say anything. Also had big containers of yogurt, cottage cheese and sour cream so I guess it looked like I was having a baked potato party. Will take cold boiled potatoes in my ice chest to Houston and will allow myself one meal from the concession area.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Will take cold boiled potatoes in my ice chest to Houston and will allow myself one meal from the concession area.
Very smart to plan ahead like that. When I was a kid & used to go to the fair, my mom would always make me pack food instead of spending the money and calories on fair food. Now, as an adult, I understand why!

We used to go to the Minnesota State Fair mostly to eat all the fried foods on a stick. Same deal - portions WAY too big. I only wanted a bite or two of all the different things. But between the serving size and the cost, it was way out of control!!

Good luck at the Livestock show!
Old 02-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post

Good luck at the Livestock show!
Thanks. I am showing dairy goats and I keep pretty busy BUT there is so much more temptation at the State Fair in the fall. Food Wise that is. We fry everything and anything at that event.

I have had a baked potato and I am doing evening chores early and I am, not hungry but I am drinking coffee with HWC and some flavored milky stuff instead of prowling for something like a cookie or candy I might have missed in the freezer. So far it has been a good potato day.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

I'm nearing the end of my first potato only day and am feeling good. I have boiled 1.5 pounds of organic fingerling potatoes so I have food to bring to work tomorrow (along with the malt vinegar and salt).

The only lowcarb food I was able to find at the Minnesota State Fair was a turkey leg. I have a blue ribbon on my refrigerator that says, "I milked a goat at the State Fair," which I did, with some help from a kid from 4-H. I'll bet Adi has lots of experience with that.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
You may find this less intimidating:

Potato hack paleo blogs anyone doing this?

Its only about 3 pages long, and, in it, KeyTones summarizes the science and the why. This helped me a lot as the thread here is WAY too long for me to read. I get lost in the quotes & re-quotes!

I've been doing my DDs as PDDs but have yet to successfully hack. I'm going off program this weekend and next, will try to use the tools I learned to not go crazy and overeat. I'm hoping I can use potatoes during the week to lose anything I pick up this weekend and then to lose anything I pick up next weekend. I'm going to look at it as a metabolism charge-up!
Thanks, Yennie. I have heard about Key Tones' success on a challenge thread, and her experience encouraged me to start this potato hack. Those posts were very helpful and much more manageable than some of the other enormous potato hack threads.

I have a couple of social engagement meals in the next 2 weeks, but I otherwise plan to stick with the potato hack (if I continue to feel well and do lose weight) for the rest of February and until I go out of town in the middle of March. If I start really craving protein, I may also add a meal of sauteed liver or eggs, at 4 hours time remove from eating the potatoes.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:13 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Lots of exeprience with milking goats although I now cheat and use a machine. And the National Goat Show will be in St. Paul at the MN State Fairgrounds this coming July. My plans right now are to attend.

Potato DD today.
B - coffee with HWC, maybe oat bran
L - cold boiled goldens
D - cold boiled goldens
Have some russets too in case I decide I need a warm meal.

Last edited by adillenal; 02-25-2013 at 03:16 AM..
Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Minnesota in July...have fun with that! Course it probably won't be too bad for you but, being an original West Coaster, the humidity killed me.
I went to ADGA nationals with a friend back in '99 ( I think) in Raleigh. Had a good time!
I'm trying to think if there is anything I'm going to desperaty miss from the MN St Fair, food wise. Oh, Sweet Martha's Cookies. I miss those! And the buckets of fries. Tried a deep fried Twinkie one year, it was FOUL!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Maybe I can stop by to say hello and meet your pretty goats, Adi. The University of Minnesota has Minneapolis and St. Paul campuses, with a free bus between the two, so I think that I can get to the fairgrounds fairly easily. Do you need to stay with your exhibit throughout the show? It would be nice to have a meal with you during your visit--I'll bring the potatoes if it's a potato day.

My weight was up 2 pounds after my first potato day, but I'm sure that's because I have been eating very low carb for over a year, and I imagine I'm hanging onto some water that I'd lost on lowcarb. I estimate that my potato calories were under 500, so I'm sure I didn't gain fat. Day 2 for potatoes for me, today. It would normally be an up day for me, so I'll let myself eat a generous amount of potatoes, but it won't be up to my usual up day calories.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Svenska, Not hitting UD potato cals is pretty normal from what I've read. I've yet to find the fortitude to do potatoes for a full 2 days in a row so I haven't had that problem yet. :/
In reading KeyTones latest entry about her daughter, I might consider mixing it up with some rice to help last longer.
I think the potatoes work differently enough to prevent setbacks even if we aren't hitting UD/DD cals.
Adi, question - how do you feel about zero fat sour cream & Greek yogurt as a topping? I know you've gotta eat the potatoes with no fat for the insulin thing to work. My dad thinks zero fat yogurt or sour cream would be ok but I think they're both too high in protein which would buffer the effects of the insulin surge?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Maybe I can stop by to say hello and meet your pretty goats, Adi. The University of Minnesota has Minneapolis and St. Paul campuses, with a free bus between the two, so I think that I can get to the fairgrounds fairly easily. Do you need to stay with your exhibit throughout the show? It would be nice to have a meal with you during your visit--I'll bring the potatoes if it's a potato day.

My weight was up 2 pounds after my first potato day, but I'm sure that's because I have been eating very low carb for over a year, and I imagine I'm hanging onto some water that I'd lost on lowcarb. I estimate that my potato calories were under 500, so I'm sure I didn't gain fat. Day 2 for potatoes for me, today. It would normally be an up day for me, so I'll let myself eat a generous amount of potatoes, but it won't be up to my usual up day calories.
Sounds like a plan. We get to stay for a whole week so there is lots of down time. My DH is from SD and has cousins in St. Paul so he can visit them while I am busy with the goats. After the show we are going to go to SD to visit his other relatives with the goats along for the ride. Not everybody takes their goats on vacation with them.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

I'm glad to hear that you will have some down time, Adi. Maybe you and DH (or just you, if DH wants to see his St. Paul cousins) could visit me for dinner and a walk some evening while you are in town. Just let me know if I should cook for an up day, a down day, or a potato day. I'll PM you so you have my contact information when you start planning the details of your trip.